All Comments on 'Linda's Legacy'

by Cockatoo

Sort by:
  • 241 Comments
TajfaTajfa3 months ago

Really good. Loved it. 5

Hardday1953Hardday19533 months ago

I have never said this before, I normally only communicate positive comments. Most excellent and I read several of your stories using Linda.

PS that is my wife's name. I have spent much of my marriage looking for the other shoe to drop or beating back men interested in being around her. To my knowledge I have been successful, but you never know for sure. Lucky, she has a strong connection with God. I hope the best for you and yours.

CockatooCockatoo3 months agoAuthor

This story was written by request from one of my commentators. I know I've already spend enough time in the FebSux pool, but I figured once more wouldn't hurt. Here's what happened "off camera" in my head while I was writing Same Old Me... since you asked.

This incident was described secondhandedly by Jim as a kind of Flash-forward in Same Old Me (4of4), but it has its roots in two other places. First, Jim's original FS conversation with L.W. had the old man declare that this kind of affair would be something for Linda "to tell the grandchildren about" but NOT tell her children, for fear of setting a bad example. Second, during one of Jim's fights with Linda in Same Old Me (3of4) (actually, it's on page 7), he said that he'd rather "Just shoot myself right now" rather than live to see Emma grow up like her mother.

Astute readers will note that Linda hasn't told Emma everything, just like she never told Jim everything. Everyone in Same Old Me is an Unreliable Narrator, even the POV character. When you're in any kind of relationship with someone, you're actually in that relationship with THREE of them: Who YOU think they are, who THEY think they are, and who they ACTUALLY are... and the same is true of their three-way relationship with YOU, too. In a perfect world, all three of these versions of each of us would match up pretty closely, but that world ain't this one.

Bronco56Bronco563 months ago

Excellent. Nice twist on the Feb sux stories

5stars

AardieAardie3 months ago

Great sequel to your earlier effort. I don't think anyone has taken it forward twenty years before.

francemanfranceman3 months ago

Good story, but still requires a good dose of unreality and absurdity.

The women seem to arrive or appear with no life experience, no education......

Lying, deceit, cheating.........you learn that it's wrong when you're a child.

These are principles that are instilled in you during your upbringing.

I'm not saying we never do it, I'm just saying that we know what we're doing is wrong. But I have the impression that Linda and Emma have no notion of right and wrong. How strange!

Emma lies and clearly cheats on her husband during their conversation, but she thinks it's right, that it's normal.

The women in this family remind me of dog or bull breeding............where a genetic anomaly is detected that endangers the line and you are forced to crossbreed to try and eradicate it.

onbothsidesonbothsides3 months ago

One of the best in my 12 years reading on this site.

c24jc24j3 months ago

I enjoyed this. Well done!!

c24jc24j3 months ago

To Ardee . . . there is at least one other 20 years later story. It provides a picture of what the marriage might look like if Jim and Linda had stayed together. It's very good, a little sad, but still interesting.

Wavedave45Wavedave453 months ago

Good stuff. I love seeing the Feb Sux that take a completely different route.

KarnevilKarnevil3 months ago

Very well written and described, but unfortunately I grew bored after the first page. At the very start Emma is described as an extremely intelligent woman, then just like almost every other story of this ilk she morphs into a brain dead half wit. So the saintly husband sends the idiot off to speak to her equally dumb as nails mother, really? Should two people this thick be allowed to get together? God knows what dumb ass scheme they'll come up with?

So I jumped to the end and it finished exactly as I thought it would. Really, please please please let Feb sucks die. It was a very average story about a one braincell woman that has somehow spawned a cesspit full of clones.

As I said, well written but just change the names and you'll have any one of a thousand other carbon copies.

GrumpyluvGrumpyluv3 months ago

An excellent and fresh take on a great story, loved it.

irinmikeirinmike3 months ago

Burning the blue dress every male reader did in their minds is finally brought to the fore front.

robinhodrobinhod3 months ago

I vowed to myself that I wouldn't waste any more time on 'Sucks' derivatives. I fell for it again.

Cockatoo can certainly write. I found myself absorbed. Right up to ""That, my dear soon-to-be-ex-wife, is what you need to talk to Linda about."

THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END!! Perfect!

All the rest was justification, crossing tees and dotting Is.

Would have been a strong 5 for me but the second half brought it down to a 4, and only just.

JoeMoeFromChicagoJoeMoeFromChicago3 months ago

I HATE the "February Sucks" fad!! It was old a whole damn century ago! I also abhor near miss stories with a passion!

So why did I give this story 5-stars?

-JMFC

RePhilRePhil3 months ago

The portrait of the perfect loser!! Talking about the husband. Just once leave the MC with his balls?? No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, she is still a pig

woodwardwoodward3 months ago

Well done and enjoyed the expanded perspective on this story line. 5.

demanderdemander3 months ago

People don't change their basic personality on a dime. D

afanoffanlitafanoffanlit3 months ago

Very, very cool extension on that story. 5stars

des911des9113 months ago

That's a fair take on the saga - nicely done.

heydog52heydog523 months ago

Good story. We'll written. 3 pages long and I enjoyed every word because every word meant something. 5 stars

jocko_smithjocko_smith3 months ago

A very good add-on. It built on to the story, rather than re-telling it in modified form. Excellent work, imaginative and well-written.

Only thing that bugged me is that I don't believe she ever really learned The Lesson, and she'll try again later. I think that because she sent to Richard (in part):

.

"Fuck you for threatening my marriage and family. Fuck you for almost destroying my life. "

.

As big a scum as Richard was, he was not the "threat." If it hadn't been him, it would have been another. SHE did this to HERSELF. If you get drunk, and run down a pedestrian, don't blame the booze or the car.

.

Had Richard been in a position of power over her, it would have been (at least somewhat) his fault. Had she told Richard to fuck off after his first steps in seducing her, and he continued, that would be on him. But she didn't. So Richard, while an asshole, was only the agent of her destruction. SHE already knew what was being planned, she participated in it. And now she wants to blame Richard ? No, bitch, look in the mirror. There will be others like Richard.

JusteenKJusteenK3 months ago

This is a perfectly decent story that didn't need to be hitched to the February sucks bandwagon.

numbnutz49numbnutz493 months ago

Hear that in the background? It's a standing ovation and everyone is applauding you! This is the best 'complimentary' story following the path set by the original. The curse of Linda will continue on this site for years and I'll read every one of them!

EightyThousandEightyFiveEightyThousandEightyFive3 months ago

I agree with Justeen down there. Great writing with depth and drama, but lessened by being shackled to the Feb Sux OCD shit show.

Buster2UBuster2U3 months ago

10 Big Blazing Stars about a whore's Family Intervention to save har marriage. LOL Barely, just in time. LOL Good job of writing, Good plot, Good effort. Thanks, Buster2U

jflindersjflinders3 months ago

Nice story, but I see this as an unfortunate ending from Bradley's point of view, having to mistrust or at least verify for the rest of their lives.

BrentJWBrentJW3 months ago

Good story and I love Cockatoo’s writing style, but it’s not credible after her mothers four marriages, that Emma has no clue what Linda did.

MightyheartMightyheart3 months ago

Good stuff.. Great writing.

4.5/5

Good and unique evolution of FS

Bradley will need to Trust but Verify for a long time.

Keep writing mate

SDN1955SDN19553 months ago

Very good story.

300WSM300WSM3 months ago

Interesting take on this, congrats

Regguy69Regguy693 months ago

Very good. Sometimes a metaphorical slap in the face is just what’s needed. >demander, sorry dude, but “on a dime” is exactly how some folks change their lives. It’s like the light bulb goes on and they suddenly see the pathway to take. Self delusion, rationalizing, are excellent tools for doing what FEELS good instead of what’s right. Once the delusion is exposed, reality kicks the shit out you! Well written, enjoyable.

sloggerslogger3 months ago

One of the best "Post" February sucks! Thank you.

Pinto931Pinto9313 months ago

This would have been better as a story in its own right instead of tagged on to February sucks.

gatorhermitgatorhermit3 months ago
Interesting and Credible Extension of the Feb Sucks Universe

Good portrayal of a narcissistic wife. For a while it looked like Emma wasn’t going to get it. Well done!

HarleyRider1955HarleyRider19553 months ago

5 stars. It was an interesting generational extension. Thanks.

Just_WordsJust_Words3 months ago

I liked this a lot and had no problem giving it 5*****! My only complaint, and it is small, is I find myself wondering how the husband knew both that the other man existed and what his name was. I realize he considered the guy to be a predator, but it's still a leap to accusing your wife of planned adultery. I have to think there is something more to it than just the language she used when she announced the trip.

GrandPaMGrandPaM3 months ago

Excellent storytelling. I only wish that this type of intervention was more real in more people's lives than it is.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now3 months ago

What an excellent follow-up to your sequel. Very good - great even!

CDRLawCDRLaw3 months ago

Well written and VERY creative.

Driven2ReadDriven2Read3 months ago

Makes you wonder why a cheating wife would get the kids in a divorce most often, just creating future problems ...

AccelarVesterAccelarVester3 months ago

What an unexpected extention to the the "Feb Sucks" cannon of endings. I loved it. 5*

LWLover60LWLover603 months ago

The King of February speaks! *****

BeBopper99BeBopper993 months ago

5***** Very well written! Write On!

imhaplessimhapless3 months ago

It would have been great if she still went to the conference (ha, ha); still a very good story.

wheelman53wheelman533 months ago

Great expansion to the story.

pepepilotpepepilot3 months ago

Well, that was different. I loved it. Thank you. 5-stars!

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker3 months ago

A truly different take on the original. I liked it, a lot. Will it work? Don't know. Linda's genes are obviously rampant in Emma. But it would appear so are Jim's. I have great hopes for her, but then again, I love happy endings. 5 stars for the new look. Keep writing.

The BEAR

GreyMatter46GreyMatter463 months ago

Nice follow-on. thanks

CurrentParameterCurrentParameter3 months ago

Nice take on the story. Good Job.

40fathoms40fathoms3 months ago

My hats off to you. One of the best of the February Sucks themes.

OverconfidentSarcasmOverconfidentSarcasm3 months ago

"Oh yes. You absolutely are. I've enjoyed every moment of this evening. The meal was perfect. You are beautiful. Stunning, even. You've clearly gone all out. But it's not my birthday, or yours. It's not our anniversary, our dating anniversary, Valentine's day, Sweetest day, or anything like that. As far as I can tell, it's just a Friday night. What is the occasion?"

- That quote at the start of the story told me everything I needed to know about their marriage. If you decide to do something nice for your spouse, and the only consequence of that gesture is that your spouse IMMEDIATELY knows that you must want something, because it's THAT uncommon for you to do something nice for them... nobody should be surprised about you eventually reaching the point where sleeping with someone else is just the natural next step.

My big problem with this story is that the only moral told at the end is to not go through with the cheating, even after it did such a great job at painting a picture of how the characters even reached that point.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamer3 months ago

Now that's what I call a story! 5***** cd

Viper2011Viper20113 months ago

Very nicely done.

Jetcrash747Jetcrash7473 months ago

Linda was a fool, to keep that little blue dress for almost thirty years, then to pass it down to her daughter as a momento of cheating on Jim. Emma was following in her mother’s foot steps, they were thinking with their pussys in stead of their brain. Linda did a tremendous job of stopping the infidelity of Emma.

JamieCTaylorJamieCTaylor3 months ago

Five stars for an original twist.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Why would you willingly get married to such a woman? Like seriously, why???!!!

Corny1974Corny19743 months ago

Just when I think I can't face another Sucks story, there's a gem like this. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Lovely to see a take on Feb Sux that's got some variety - in this case doing it as a generational story.

deependerdeepender3 months ago

There's a thing about going to the same well too often.

ReadyOneReadyOne3 months ago

Little voices arguing in your head?" She asked.

"How'd you know?"

"That's what happens when you're conflicted. It's a good sign."

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

So, cheater ship is hereditary! Loved it.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I'm glad I read your version of Feb Sux (one of the better versions IMHO) before reading this. Excellent job.

ReadyOneReadyOne3 months ago

VG. Lots of connections to the FS universe. Most interesting is Linda's last/current 'husband' she married because she would have a harder time hurting him.

.

I'd like to think that the intervention with Emma had permanent impact, but I wonder if there isn't something genetic brainwise in that family, (not to mention some others).

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This was the only good one of these stories, please let this be the end of them.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This version was ok. However the story has been beaten to death and needs to stay dead.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I think this may be the best take on Jim and Linda's story yet. Absolutely well thought out, concise, with virtually no wasted words. This was some five star story telling!

rho56rho563 months ago

There is still a new approach to „February sucks“. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Good one! Five *. Some will complain about another February Sucks story, but I still enjoy them. I saw one weak point, of Richard paying for the conference. That means it would be a tax deduction for him. Emma's reimbursement would not be for her. Besides, Emma is a professional, therefore, would have working capital to pay her own way.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

At last someone got the story right

ImpossiblefutureImpossiblefuture3 months ago

Think ending needed a twist, as in him sending a text asking her where she wants to be served for her divorce papers..... would have made me laugh if was written in, pain needs to ve shared she has only her pain not his yet.

skruff101skruff1013 months ago

And the train that is FebSux gets another carriage added to it. Just how long will it get before the engine finally dies?

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Hi karnevil, I think the point about her being smart is that really clever people just find better ways of fooling themselves, the lies they concoct to keep themselves guilt free and convinced that what they are doing isnfine are very effective simply because they are so clever.

Kernow2023Kernow20233 months ago

a different spin on George's "famous" story

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Nicely done. I am curious as to the 4th husband's name: Glen or Doug? Glen on the first and third pages, Doug on the second. Did Linda marry and divorce twice during the course of the narrative?

Cito22Cito223 months ago

So wait. The daughter, a certified psychologist, never had the brains to figure out or hear about her mother's prior actions and posses no self awareness skills. Ummm ok I guess

PowersworderPowersworder3 months ago

That was an interesting direction to take the February Sucks story. Well done!

bacchant2bacchant23 months ago

First class writing as always.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Yay! About time that blue dress for destroyed.

I don't write. Don't have the skills, time or the confidence, but I do comment.

And after I read that first febsux, I said that dress needed to be destroyed.

Never saw my suggestion taken up, c even though I've read a bunch of these, but reading that last line made my day, and made the story so much better for me as well.

FlamethrowFlamethrow3 months ago

I really enjoyed the next generation aspect in the interaction with her brother and the flawed Linda.

RosejaRoseja3 months ago

It was a prefect ending to a story that happens in everyday life. 5 out of 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

After 100+ alternative versions of the original extreme cheating-cuck plot, this Feb-suks has become really annoying, almost always ending with the usual unbelievable fempov RAAC.

But, this one can be, without doubt, one of the rare variants where the men MCs act with a man brain: usually they are described like ridiculous brainless sheeps. So, this tale can be nominated for the best followup of all of them, not just an half-page of almost nothing, it's well written, with good amount of tension, realistic dialogues, thinking and behaviours, without the usual fempov manipulative psycho-blabberings, uselessly trying to make the unacceptable cheating betrayals appear like forgive-and-forget events. This is a very rare masterpiece, that needless to say, deserve the full 5+ stars rating. Good job with this one.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Creative. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

hope that gamma carol is a typo for grandma carol but still, 5 stars it is, way to go.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu3 months ago

The story attempts to tell that the trauma that Linda's betrayal wrought upon Jim and Linda's family was deeper than I had initially assumed in GA's story a number commenters had alluded that the biggest losers were the then children Enma and Tommy Here the most affected were the two Johnson women. The trauna scarred the mental cognitive capability of both Linda and Emma to discern correctly their tendency to narcissism Emma is an absolute failure as a reliable psychologist and Linda, well, she just got dumber and dumber over the years.

/

The story was well written. And I like the attempt to connect other LW stories like James, Carol and Ralph characters Gave this a 4 star for a good effort

IrishLaddy59IrishLaddy593 months ago

Homerun. Outstanding.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Sorry, she ALREADY pulled a Linda. For someone who likes to wax on with these stories, the illicit sex is not the actual break or divergence in the marriage road. It's actually a ways down the road. The true break is when you stop being on team married. And she ALREADY did that.

212234521223453 months ago

Excellent way to wrap back into the original storyline. Looking into that kind of mirror, being forced to acknowledge that kind of behavior is tough. Loved the way the original husband and son set the stage for the ultimate "look in the mirror."

Billy_Ray_BanBilly_Ray_Ban3 months ago

Just a fantastic story! 5/5 BRB

AngelRiderAngelRider3 months ago

I actually read a February Sucks themed story and enjoyed it. It's only taken what, 3 years?

xMulexMule3 months ago

Bradley must be ever vigilant. How can he ever be "happily married?"

AngelRiderAngelRider3 months ago

"...but lessened by being shackled to the Feb Sux OCD shit show"

That right there is fucking hilarious.

maedhros21maedhros213 months ago

you get 5 stars just for finding a fresh take in the stable of dead horses that this string has become

the6ulprsnthe6ulprsn3 months ago

A wonderful telling of a completely unique take on the old trope. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Huh, that brought me to tears. (The older I get, the nearer to tears I am. Kind of crazy 75th.)

Thank you, Cockatoo, you are an incredible writer. "To pull a Linda" - just wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This has got to be one of if not the best after story for Linda. Old and alone like she has earned/ deserved. The stories that give her the quick end, let her off a bit too easily. 30 years of misery seems much more fitting.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Fucking wow. 5 stars.

MwestohioMwestohio3 months ago

Nice post epilogue to the story

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Great writing and looking forward to more contributions. Maybe there is a less infamous character in the LW universe that deserves the full Cockatoo. One can dream !

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCockatoo@Cockatoo
These are strictly works of fiction and fantasy... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Although these tales have been carefully peppered and spiced with snippets of the occasional real-life encounter, personal experience with trauma, or sincere obsessive daydream, none of...