Lisa's Husband

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see you," she exclaimed. "Jerry, you're about fifty feet from me. Stay there and I'll come to you."

Hearing her, the two men in the control van looked at each other and crossed their fingers. Bob stood by. As soon as they were together he had to readjust everything so they could go live with a flick of the switch.

Jerry and Lisa were only a few feet apart when they could feel an excitement building within the crowd and knew the Pope was on his way out. Lisa looked up and saw the flicker of a white robe. Inside the control room, Bob could wait no longer and switched over to live feed.

"You're on the air," he informed them.

Just then Lisa heard three pops coming from behind her. At the same time three angry hornets buzzed right past her ear. Suddenly pandemonium broke out all around her. People were screaming and pushing and shoving. She was being jostled in every direction and almost lost her footing. Her mind froze with terror. She had no idea what was happening, her only instinct was get out of there. She quickly turned and felt a thud as she accidently hit a young man in the face with her microphone. She watched in terror as he fell. Almost instantly, armed Vatican police swarmed in and pointed their weapons at the man at her feet.

"Jesus," Jay yelled at Bob in the control room. "Those were shots! Did we get that?"

"We're live Jay, and we just scooped the rest of the whole damn world," he excitedly responded. "Jerry caught the whole shooting on camera as well as Lisa clobbering the guy with her mic. That was incredible. She's a hero!"

Because of Lisa's tardiness, the only camera that was trained on the assassination attempt was Jerry's. All the others were pointed up at the Pope. From his perspective, it appeared that Lisa turned and intentionally hit the would be assassin in the face, rendering him unconscious and possibly saving the life of the newly elected Pope.

"Lisa, Lisa, are you alright?"

She was dazed and bewildered. Only at that instant were the facts of what happened, penetrating the fog of her brain. Those weren't hornets, she'd come to realize, they were bullets. Her knees were about to buckle but Jerry's voice brought her back to reality.

"Lisa, focus. We're live!"

She stared into the camera lens. The script she'd been practicing all week was no longer relevant. She had no idea what she was going to say or even how to start but she could hear Jay feeding her information from the control room through her earpiece. With the latent assailant's blood still dripping from the mic, she raised it to her face.

"The atmosphere of joy and aspirations for a new era of leadership in the Catholic Church were shattered just now when a gunman took three shots at newly elected Pope Luke the first. We are hearing reports that all three shots missed and that no one was hit. We understand the Pope is safely back in the residence under heavy guard.

"At this time we do not have any information on the shooter but moments ago a suspect was apprehended by the Vatican police.

"We will continue to keep you updated on further developments as they unfold. This is Lisa Van Heusen live from the Vatican."

*****

"Jesus, somebody just took a shot at the new Pope!"

Trey was just leaving for the day when he heard someone shout from the newsroom. "What?" he Hollard. "Lisa's there. Was anyone hurt?"

"I don't know, Trey, I don't think so. It just came over the wire."

Trey pulled out his phone as someone else in the newsroom turned the TV on.

"Come on, come on, come on, pickup damn it," prayed a terrified Trey.

"Trey, isn't this your wife here?"

He shot his attention to the screen as everyone watched a re-run of the shooting. They all saw Lisa turn toward the shooter and hit him in the face with her mic.

"Jesus, Trey, that's one hell of a brave woman you have there. Did you see that? She just turned around and clobbered that guy."

He was more interested in seeing her appear to be unharmed as she reported what happened. Just then he heard her speaking and realized he was listening to her voice mail intro. "Lisa, please call me right back and let me know you're alright."

*****

In the meantime Lisa and Jerry were back in the communications trailer. Jay was so elated he gave her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Lisa, I had no idea you could be so cool under fire like that. You probably saved the Pope from getting shot. You're a hero!"

"Hero?" she questioned. Lisa was still shaking and had no idea what Jay was talking about. "I...I was just trying to get out of there. I...I didn't mean to hit that man..."

Jay grabbed her by the upper arms and gave her a little shake, causing Lisa to stop talking. She looked into his eyes with a blank expression.

"Listen to me, young lady; that is the last time you ever tell that to anyone. There is only one record of what happened and what Jerry's camera saw was a fearless reporter, who upon hearing gunfire coming from behind, wheeled around and used the only weapon at her disposal to subdue the gunman before he had a chance to fire the fatal shot."

Her shocked face looked around at the others who were nodding their heads in agreement. "But..."

"There are no buts, Lisa. That's the way it went down...right guys?"

"That's what I saw," confirmed Jerry.

"Me too," said Bob.

With everything that happened, this just added to Lisa's shock. Her mind felt like a mix master.

Jay was still in contact with the station's Chicago headquarters and got a message through his earpiece. "Lisa, your husband is panicking. He's calling the station and demanding to talk to you. You'd better call him and let him know you're all right."

She looked around for her purse and saw it under a table. As she reached for it she was given a reminder by Jay.

"Remember, you reacted to the shots, turned and used the mic to knock out the shooter. You're a hero."

"Okay," she said, still in a little shock as she tapped on her husband's picture.

Trey's heart almost exploded with relief as he heard her voice. "Honey, are you alright?"

Her eyes welled with tears as she heard the fear in his voice. She assured him she was fine and had not even a scratch. They talked for only a few minutes but Trey knew she was under a lot of strain. When they hung up Lisa asked if she could go home.

"Home? Hell no," Jay chuckled. "You have to at least follow up with the cops, and I have an idea that the Pope will probably want to thank you personally. I wouldn't plan on going anywhere for another two or three days at least."

That was the last thing she wanted to hear.

Jay saw the disappointment in her eyes. "I'll tell you what though; you've had a pretty full day. Go on back to the hotel, take a nice hot bath and get some rest. Just keep your phone on and turn up the ring tone. We'll let you know as soon as something breaks."

She thanked him and started back to the hotel. Bob looked at Jay as she left. "Still going to fire her?" Jay just laughed.

Over the next three days, Lisa received hundreds of accolades and tributes to her bravery under fire from people in the street, other reporters, members of the Italian police force, and even a personal thank you from the Pope, himself.

She continued to scoop the rest of the world when she was given exclusive access to the shooter in his jail cell. Jay had written several in depth questions for her and her comprehensive and rigorous interviews were broadcast to affiliates around the world.

It was all so convincing that Lisa began to rearrange events in her own mind to synchronize with what she was being told. Soon, she was accepting her hero status with just a touch of humility. By the time she got back to Chicago she wasn't just a star, she was a legend.

Trey was waiting for her as she got off the plane but before he could even get to her she had been recognized and was being swarmed by autograph seekers. Aggravated, he cut through the crowd. "Hey, get out of here, leave her alone."

"Hi, honey," she said, looking up from her pen with a smile. "It's okay, I'm getting used to it."

"It's not okay. I want access to my wife," he retorted. As he reached her he removed the pen from her hand, wrapped his arms around her, and gave her a big kiss. After their lips parted he looked around at the lingering gawkers. "Beat it," he yelled with a scowl. Lisa chuckled as they all scattered.

Lisa had been given the rest of the week off. It took her a couple days to get her body clock back to normal, so a full out love making session didn't happen until the weekend.

After the first week home, she still hadn't asked about the banquet. With all his wife had been through, he understood her not remembering it; after all, what were a few awards against saving the life of the Pope? Something WAS bothering him though, her attitude. It was nothing obvious, nothing he could really put his finger on, just the way she talked to him, almost like she was losing respect for him.

Three weeks after his wife returned from her trip, Trey's phone rang with that special ring tone. It was a rarity for her to call in the middle of the day. It usually meant something was wrong. "Hello," he said a little nervously.

"Hi, honey."

Well, it didn't sound like anything was wrong. She sounded happy.

"Listen, don't start anything for dinner. I thought we'd go out tonight."

"Yeah, okay. Are we celebrating something?"

"Yes, but I'm going to wait until I can tell you over a candle lit dinner and a glass of wine. Can you make reservations at Plato's Place?"

"Yeah, sure, honey, I'll do it as soon as we hang up."

Without letting on, he knew instantly what they were going to talk about. It could only be one thing...she was finally ready to start a family. After what happened in Rome, she was obviously secure in her job. Yes, with the reputation she'd built up and him winning photographer of the year, the time was obviously right. Maybe they could even get a couple of weeks off together and do a travel book like they'd planned. Things were finally starting to fall into place.

By the time they were sitting across from each other at a candle lit table for two, Trey could hardly contain himself. As soon as the waiter left with their order he leaned forward. "So, come on, Lisa, what's all the mystery?" He was grinning from ear to ear.

"Not yet," she teased. "After dinner."

She was being very coy. Trey wondered if she was already pregnant. Maybe she stopped taking the pill and was waiting to surprise him with the news. She knew it was one decision he wouldn't argue with. His mind was full of possibilities by the time they finished. He filled both their wine glasses and held his over the center of the table as an invitation for her to make a toast.

Lisa smiled, held up her glass and lightly clinked the two together. "We're moving to New York," she said.

Trey sat dumbfounded. He didn't drink, his hand hadn't even moved. He was staring at her while he mulled her words around in his head, trying to rearrange them in an order that made sense.

Lisa hadn't yet noticed his reaction. She was too busy telling him how it all came about.

"Trey, they've offered me a spot on a new show called, "What Matters." It's a weekly news show like 60 Minutes. I'll be working with some of the top news anchors and reporters in the country," she said with glee. "Honey, you mark my words, in a year or two I'm going to have my own show." She finally stopped talking long enough to see the look on his face.

"Honey, aren't you excited? It's New York. This isn't a local affiliate; this is network TV, Rockefeller Center, honey. It'll be seen all over the world."

"I thought we were going to talk about starting a family," he quietly stated. He didn't try to disguise the disappointment in his voice.

"Oh we will, honey, soon, I promise."

"When, Lisa—when? You've been promising for years now. First you wanted to get settled in your job with The Tribute, then it was this job, now it's New York. We need to talk about this. When do you have to let them know?"

"Let them know what?"

"If you'll take the job or not."

"Trey, I already told them I'd take it. You don't really think I'd turn this down?" she gasped. "I told them we'd be there in a month. I already have a realtor looking for an apartment for us. In the meantime the station will put us up. They've got places all over the city they use for visiting big-wigs. They're going to let us have one of them until we can get our own place. I know we still have six months left on the lease here, but we can get a realtor to sublet the apartment for us. With the money I'll be making I'm not really worried if it takes a couple months."

"I see," he responded, trying hard to keep himself under control.

"Oh come on, Trey, you don't really expect me to throw away an opportunity like this, do you?"

"Me...I...what happened to 'we,' Lisa? I thought we were going to discuss things as a couple and make decisions based on what's best for US," he said, emphasizing the last word.

"Honey, this is for you too. You can finally get away from that second rate newspaper. I might even be able to get you a job at The Times or The Washington Post. I'm sure they have two or three New York bureaus."

"Lisa, if I wanted to work for The Times or The Post, I'd apply based on my talent, my experience, and my credentials as a press photographer, not as someone who gets the job because his influential wife pulled some strings."

Trey stood, took a hundred dollar bill from his wallet and threw it on the table. "Come on, let's go."

"Trey..."

"Now," he said, forcefully.

Without another word, she followed him to the car. They were almost home before he spoke again.

"I thought we were supposed to be committed to each other. This is the second time you've not only made decisions, but acted on them without even any discussion at all. Evidently, I'm no longer relevant in your life."

She remembered how angry he was when she went back on the pill without telling him. Shit, she thought, it's going to take some doing to smooth this over. "Trey, that's not true. Of course you're relevant. How can you even say something like that? I love you with all my heart. Honey, I...I guess it never even occurred to me that you wouldn't want to do this. If I remember right, at one time you were all excited about New York."

She looked over when there was no response. His eyes were focused on the road straight ahead, his face was a mask of anger, and he was squeezing the steering wheel so hard his knuckles were white. Lisa turned her head to look out her side window.

Over the next couple of weeks things were very frosty between them. Lisa called his parents as well as her mother and promised they'd be back to visit often. She also arranged for a nice visit with everyone together on their last weekend in town.

After two weeks not another word had been spoken about New York. Lisa really hated to bring it up for fear it would lead to more fighting but she had to make sure things were on track.

"Trey, honey, did you give the paper your notice yet?"

"No," he flatly stated.

"Why not? You don't want to wait until the last minute, honey. They've been pretty nice to you there. You should at least give them two weeks."

"I'm not going," he told her. There was no anger or sadness, no emotion in his voice at all.

She stopped in her tracks and just stared at him for a moment. "What do you mean, you're not going. Of course you are. Honey, this is our future. This is for us. Look, I...I promise, no going back on my word this time, just as soon as we're settled in our new jobs we'll start that family. I want children, too, honey."

"Lisa, I'm not trying to hold you back. Go—go to New York, take it by storm, but I'm staying here.

"Honey, don't be silly. You can't stay here. I called a realtor to sublet this place."

"I called her back and told her to forget it. Look, you said you'll be coming back to visit, now you'll have a place to stay when you do. Think of all the money you'll save on motel bills," he said sarcastically.

"Honey, please be reasonable."

"Lisa, this is your dream, not mine. I was willing to go along with you quitting the paper and becoming a TV reporter, but now it's New York and you've already told me you won't be satisfied with that either. You're already looking ahead to your own show. What's after that, Lisa? Huh? What spotlight will finally be bright enough for you?"

She stayed silent.

"When we were in college your goal was to be a top notch investigative reporter like your dad, and you were well on your way. Then you got a chance to be in front of TV cameras and all the plans we made as a couple took a backseat to your ambitions. Suddenly I was cut right out of the decision making process and relegated from a partner in our relationship to a subordinate. You've told me over and over that you want children, but just like me, they always take a back seat to you career."

"That's not fair," she insisted.

He made a small inadvertent sigh. "You go, Lisa. Go to New York and show 'em how it's done. I'll stay here, work for my second rate newspaper and be here if our folks need me."

Lisa could see he was in no mood to be reasonable so she dropped it and started dinner a little early. In the back of her mind she knew when push came to shove he'd never let her go to New York alone. She had no doubt that he still loved her. He proved that to her almost every night in the bedroom.

Day by day, time ticked by. Trey's parents had agreed to meet at her mother's house since it was a little closer. It would be the last chance they had to visit for a while so they had planned on spending the day together. Lisa felt it would be like a going away party and baked a nice cake for the occasion. She was all ready to head on over to her mother's.

"Trey, did you want to take your car or mine, honey?"

"Take your car, if I get called out I might need mine."

"What do you mean, if you get called out? This is the last time we'll see our folks for a while." She was still in denial and had yet come to terms with the thought of Trey staying behind. "I can't believe you haven't given them notice yet."

"Lisa, you're going to have to get it through your head...I'm NOT going with you. I'm also not going to your going away party. You go without me. I don't want you to feel inhibited or have to hold back any feelings on my account. I'm going to see them next weekend."

Lisa's head was in such a thick fog on the way over she surprised herself when she pulled into her mother's driveway. Evidently they all knew Trey wasn't going to be there because no one asked about him. Lisa brought his name up a couple times during the day and tried to convince the others, as well as herself, that she'd still get him to go with her somehow. The strange looks she got were disheartening.

She also learned something else about her husband that she didn't know. She hid her anger until she got home, then confronted Trey as soon as she walked in their door. "Why didn't you tell me you won photographer of the year?" she interrogated.

He wasn't too crazy about her attitude so he thought he'd ignore it. "Did you have a good time at the folks?"

She caught the hint immediately. She took a deep breath to calm down. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come charging in like that but why would you keep something like that from me? My husband wins a prestigious award like that and I was caught completely flat footed when your dad told me about it. I don't get it."

"I didn't keep it from you, Lisa. It just never came up. You never asked if I'd won anything and in the scope of things, I didn't think it was all that important. What was I going to say, gee honey, it was nice that you saved the Pope's life but I won an award," he joked.

1...456789