Little Red Haired Girl Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Right now, no." said Molinari. "But the hearings can go on, even after the formal Legislative session ends. The Legislature can ask the State Supreme Court Chief Justice to open a special session if the Governor won't do it. And lobbyists who hate Jared will be hard at work. A lot of Republicans whose ads are paid for by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce will be joining Hammonds and the Democrats in voting to convict Jared in the Senate."

"I don't think that is what is going to happen, though." said Cerone. "I think the goal is to keep Jared's name in the news, in a bad way."

"But if enough Establishment Republicans think their own Party and their own chances of re-election are being damaged," I said, "they could move to help with the Governor's ouster."

"Yes, that's possible." Cerone said. He turned to the Sheriff and said "Sheriff Griswold, we know that you are good friends with Governor Jared, and we have no expectation at all that you will not tell him what we've discussed today. In fact... it might be much better if you did. And not only for Mr. Jared's sake."

"Thank you." said Sheriff Griswold. "Yes, I'll warn him. But for who else's sake?"

"Mine." I said, very sure. "They're going to attempt to re-do the whole Independent State Counsel investigation. And they'll try to get at me again, just as they tried the first time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sheriff Griswold and I were picked up by Midtown Police Chief Frank Soltis and taken to MPD Headquarters, where we were given a tour of their improved facilities. We also talked with MPD Detectives Steve Ruger and Kimberly Wesson about their cases, and I gave an accounting of busting the Marcie Harper drug ring with the help of the World's Greatest Five-Year-Old Detective.

While we were there, I got an email on my Police iPhone. "Sheriff," I said, "Martha the M.E. says the toxicology reports came back. Paco was under the influence of mind-altering drugs. LSD-type stuff as opposed to what the Westboro Army was always amped up with. But he was drugged up."

"Think he took those drugs himself? Or were they given to him?" growled the Sheriff.

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking there, Sheriff." I said. "No wonder I got you to run for Sheriff and be my boss again."

"Har." the Sheriff said simply, his mustaches twitching merrily.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner with the Midtown PD peeps, we went back to the State Capitol. At 7:30pm, we watched from the side as the Legislative Leadership sans Wilson Hammonds assembled on the podium and bank of Press microphones in the rotunda area of the State Capitol. A moment later they were joined by Governor Valnius Jared and Lieutenant Governor Sharon Marshall.

"Thank you for coming." said Governor Jared, trying to calm down the unruly gaggle of Media that began shouting questions just as soon as the politicians came out. When they finally shut up, the Governor said "I am here to announced that I have just signed the Budget bill, which the House passed this morning and the Senate ratified this afternoon."

There was a smattering of applause from staffers and some of the Legislators as the Governor continued. "This bill was not perfect by any means. But it did give us some badly needed Immigration reform, despite Wilson Hammonds and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's efforts to stop the legislation and let Illegal Immigrants bring filthy drugs into our State. This bill will help to stop the flow of drugs brought in by Illegal Immigrants, and despite the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's efforts, businesses will now be required to use the State eVerify system to validate each and every one of their employees as being legally qualified to work in this Nation and our State."

"I want to thank these Legislators who worked so hard to bring this compromise bill to passage on behalf of the People of Our Great State." said the Governor. "Lt. Governor Marshall was especially helpful in bringing it about." All the Legislators and staff applauded Lt. Governor Marshall, as did Griswold and me. The Press did not.

"Thank you, Governor." said Sharon Marshall, taking the podium. "I want to thank Governor Jared for his efforts in working with the Legislature to craft this Budget bill." A lighter smattering of applause ensued. "And I want to thank Elijah McKinney, Katherine Woodburn, Moe Molinari, and Jimmy Cerone for being the glue that bound this bill together." More applause. Hell, I thought to myself, let's just have another State of the State address.

Katherine Woodburn spoke. "I'm very pleased that we will have a strong and honest SBI-IDE leading the way in drug enforcement in the State. We are looking forward to working with the Governor and with SBI Director Goodwin to put together this organization and staff it with the best State Agents and the best leadership, to eradicate the drug trade in our Great State." The Press perfunctorily joined the applause, I noticed. Hmmm, I thought to myself...

Part 30 - Ripped A New One

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, March 1st, from in front of City Hall. "In a sad day for Undocumented Workers, the State Legislature passed a Budget bill that allows Governor Val Jared to continue his racist immigration policies!"

"But first," said Bettina, "here in our County, Channel Two News has learned that Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy will face a Board of Inquiry early next week over last Wednesday's incident where he engaged an alleged serial killer in personal combat in front of schoolchildren. Commander Troy is accused of endangering the lives of several of the schoolchildren, and recklessly frightening the school children with acts of Police brutality in front of them!"

"Councilwoman Kelly Carnes asked for the Board of Inquiry," said Bettina, "adding that she has received complaints from the principal and several teachers of the school that Commander Troy's tactics were abusive, frightening to the young minds of our children, and potentially endangering the children's lives."

Bettina: "The Town & County Police issued a statement through their Public Relations Department that Commander Troy saved the life of a child that the alleged suspect allegedly was attempting to murder, and did so in spite of the principal's actions that could be considered Obstruction of Justice. However, no one from the TCPD nor the Sheriff's Department would consent to be interviewed on camera, and Commander Troy has refused to respond to numerous requests by KXTC for comment on the issue."

"And back to our big State news story." Bettina said, putting on a less happy face for the camera. "Social Justice groups are howling with rage over the compromise Budget bill that passed last night, accusing Democrats of caving in to Governor Val Jared's racist policies of discrimination against undocumented immigrant workers. But Republican groups are equally as upset. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce issued a blistering statement attacking Governor Jared as well as every Grassroots Republican that voted for the measure, and promising primary challenges for every Republican that voted for the Budget bill..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And it's a done deal!" said Catrina Pierce after the KFXU morning show introductions. "The Governor signed the Budget bill last night after it was passed by State Legislature!"

"That's right, Catrina." said Meredith Peller. "The compromise bill, which many experts claimed could not possibly be achieved, passed each House of the Legislature by substantial bipartisan margins, and was subsequently signed by the Governor. Let's bring on our political correspondent, Priya Ajmani. Priya, how did this come to pass, pun not intended?"

Priya was sitting with the women on the set. She said "Hello, ladies. The breakthrough came when Democrats sensibly agreed to abandon Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds's coalition that wanted to hold the line against any immigration reform at all, finding Jared more amenable to compromise than many experts expected. With their backs against the wall to pass something, they did. And with his back against the wall, Governor Jared accepted a stronger SBI and the creation of a new division, the SBI-IDE, which will replace the old NTF as the State's premiere anti-drug unit."

"What's next for the Legislature, Priya?" asked Catrina.

Priya replied: "My sources tell me that there is hope that an Amendment to the State Constitution can be passed that will allow the most recently passed Budget to continue in force should no Budget be passed for the current year, rather than the words 'last year's budget'. They might also try to pass some other measure that will prevent the extreme situation of what happened this year, the potential for no Budget and a State Government shutdown, to happen again."

"Yes," said Meredith, "I can't believe anyone wants to go through that again."


Priya said "The problem is that there is considerable opposition from the Grassroots Republicans, the Val Jared supporters, who believe the current wording should stay in place. They believe that the shutdown threat was the only reason a Budget got passed, and that letting the Legislature off the hook would mean chaos in the future."

Priya continued: "The other issue facing the Legislators is that many State House Democrats want to continue and extend the investigation into Val Jared, picking up from where the Independent State Counsel's probe left off. They believe they can find a way to impeach Governor Jared and get enough support in the State Senate to convict him and remove him from office. And that can go on longer than the formal Legislative session; they can keep that story going for months."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Having been summoned to the Police Chief's office, I went in and stood at attention in front of his desk, a file folder of papers in my left hand.

"At ease, Commander." said the Chief as he looked up from pretending to shuffle papers around. "Have a seat, have a seat." I sat down, but maintained a formal stiffness.

"Sheriff Griswold managed to get you out of Town yesterday." said the Chief affably, his voice seemingly friendly. The underlying vibe I was getting from him was... 'not friendly'.

"And you didn't attend our coffee klatch this morning." the Chief said. "Why not?"

"Sir, I was catching up on paperwork that had accumulated in my absence yesterday." I said. That really was true, though not the reason I avoided the coffee klatch.

"Let's stay in protocol," said the Chief, "but we can speak freely to each other. Are you planning on avoiding the coffee klatches in the future?"

"Yes sir." I said simply.

"And you think that's going to resolve the issues between you and Commander Ross?" asked the Chief.

"I don't know, sir." I said. "But it will prevent another confrontation like we had the other day, for which I apologize for my unprofessional conduct."

"Yezzzz, and you should be apologizing for that." said the Chief severely. "Fortunately it was contained within that very private environment, and you weren't insubordinate to me."

"Having said that," the Chief continued, "I need to be clear. You are far and away the best Detective I've ever seen, you are an outstanding leader, and this Police Force is what it is pretty much because of you. What you did to save that little girl the other day was exceptionally courageous, and on top of that, you were thinking of the girl's safety before your own."

"Having said all that," said the Chief, "I want you to remember General Douglas MacArthur. Brilliant general, but he got ahead of himself, and the President fired him. Now I don't think you've reached anywhere near that level yet... but don't get ahead of yourself."

"Yes sir." I said, not really knowing what else to say.

"You and Commander Ross are normally consummate professionals," said the Chief, "so I sus-pect that you could continue to work professionally together for as long as you both are on the Police Force. But I fear that incident will cause you much more damage personally than professionally. That was one of your closest friends you did that to, not to mention your blood kin. Whatever else you do in this world, find a way to make that right. Find a wayyyyyy, Commander."

"Yes sir." I said, not really having anything else to say.

*BUZZ!* *BUZZ!* *BUZZ!* *BUZZ!*

It was my Police iPhone. "Answer that." said the Chief. I did so.

"This is Muscone." said Jack Muscone. "Nash and I are coming over from the City. We need to talk..."

Part 31 - Whys and Wherefores

We were in the Main Conference Room, which Muscone swept for bugs after I swept for bugs, finding none. Internal Affairs knew better than to listen in, as well, but I was checking to make sure. Jack had also asked for Jerome Davis and Joanne Warner to join us in their capacities as FBI Consultants, which surprised me. Of course Jerome was at Advanced Course at Police Academy, so I couldn't bring him. I brought in Teresa Croyle instead.

"We were in meetings in the City all day yesterday." said Jack, his face and voice showing the tension he was feeling. "We're not sorry at all that Paco fell over the cliff to his death, but we have been racking our brains out to try to understand just why he was so desperately hell-bent on killing Frieda, and the way he did so, in front of others like that."

"Well," I said, "like I've said before, she saw something she wasn't supposed to. She saw Paco before, which is why she ran when she saw him come out of the woods."

"Yes, we understand that, sir." said Martin Nash, a bit impatiently, especially for him. "The question we're trying to answer is what or who else she saw, and why it's so important to the criminals to kill Frieda before she can tell us what she knows."

"I get that." I said. "And by the way, before we go on... who is this 'we' you keep mentioning?"

"Oh." said Muscone. "Team Lazarus."

"And who else?" I asked matter-of-factly. Nash and Muscone looked at each other.

"Not much gets by you." said Muscone, a bit witheringly. "You may remember Miles Winters and Arthur Wilshire. Winters was in Southport with Les Craig, was cleared of wrongdoing after Craig turned traitor and then died, then (Winters) found himself in Homeland Security. Wilshire went undercover with the City Police and helped expose Susan Wexler, then was a hybrid FBI/DEA Agent like Dwight Stevens, and later was asked to help out in Homeland Security, as well."

I nodded, remembering both men. Winters was not especially loved by Team Lazarus.

(Author's note: For more on Winters, see 'Semper Fidelis', Ch. 03; 'Point Hollow', Ch. 04; 'Frozen Mothballs', Ch. 03; especially 'Power', Ch.03; and especially 'Falsely Accused', Ch. 02. For Wilshire, see 'Reichenbach', Ch. 03.)

Muscone went on: "Winters came to the City with Peter Page and James Conrad of the BAU unit in Virginia." I remembered Page and Conrad from the Red Brooke case. (Author's note: 'Agents and Angels', Ch. 02-03.) And 'BAU' means 'Behavioral Analysis Unit', for those that might not know.

Muscone continued: "The brass in Washington has been following this case since the Tomoko Shimono connection was made. When they found out that the original, disavowed Shimono was the dead one, and the girl that met Barsbane and Paco, who we call 'Shimono 2.0', had also been in the CIA and associated with the now-dead, anti-Semitic CIA Director. they brought in the BAU team as well as Winters."

"Homeland Security and the BAU are very worried about Shimono and Barsbane." Muscone went on. "You'll remember that the original Shimono was trying to steal that directed energy weapon and was likely involved in the attack on the nuclear power plant." (Author's note: 'Eyes Only'.) "We fear something similar, even if this is not the same Shimono. For her to be working with Barsbane is scary to the Washington guys and the BAU people."

"And Paco?" I asked.

"We still don't fully understand how he fits, or 'fit', past tense, into all this." said Muscone. "We think he might not be connected to Shimono and Barsbane at all, but instead connected to the person we're calling 'Person X' right now."

"By that," said Martin Nash, "he means that we studied the tapes of your interview with Frieda, where she identified Paco and Shimono, and said there was a third person who was not Barsbane. We think that third person, 'Person X', may be the key to understanding why it was so important to try to kill Frieda."

"So what do you want to do?" I asked.

"Talk to Frieda." said Nash. "We'd like to show her some pictures of BigAgraFoods executives, see if one of them was the third person she saw. We'd like for you to go with us, Commander Troy, since she trusts you."

"Sure." I said. "I'll arrange it. So, what do you want the three of us to do?"

Muscone said "Be on the lookout for Shimono 2.0 and Barsbane. And please, please let us know immediately if you see either of them, especially if you see them together."

I nodded. Muscone said "Sorry, guys, but I've gotta get back to the City. I'll buy you lunch at the Cop Bar next time."

"Sure." I said. Everyone got up and shook hands, then the FBI Agents left. I had Joanne and Teresa stay in the room with me.

"Teachable moment." I said quietly. "What did you observe and deduce?"

"They love all that spy-novel, conspiratorial 'XYZ' talk." Joanne said brightly. Teresa and I chuckled.

Then Joanne said "Sir, I think they're worried about something. I think they were hoping you'd be able to tell them more than you did."

"They definitely know something." I said. "And they absolutely did not want to tell us what it was, while wanting me to arrange for them to talk to Frieda. Teresa?"

"I agree with Joanne, sir, and with you." said Teresa. "To add to it, I don't quite understand why she and I were invited to the meeting."

"Because you have security clearances, and could be in the meeting." I said. "You're both right, and good jobs on those observations. I will also say this: it irritates me when they treat me, and all of us, like Agencies of the Weak Minded. Yes, it is more than obvious that they know something, they're scared of something... but they won't tell me what it is. Very insulting, very insulting in-deeed."

"What do you want us to do, sir?" asked Teresa.

"When I figure out more, I'll let you know." I said. "As for now... Joanne, how would you like to meet Leo's brother Barky?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am. Saturday, March 2d. Joanne and I went with Nash and Muscone to the Barker home.

"Hi, Mr. Crowbar!" Frieda said happily when she saw me. "Barky is doing much better now." She brought me over to where Barky was. He wagged his tail mightily as I petted him.

"Frieda, this is my friend Joanne." I said. "She's a Police Officer, too. And her dog Leo is Barky's older brother."

"Oh, woww!" Frieda said. Barky sniffed at Joanne's fist and decided she was 'worthy' of being allowed to pet him, which she did.

"Barky is a brave dog." Joanne said. After a moment, she got out her personal iPhone and showed Frieda a couple of pictures. "This is my dog Leo. He looks a lot like Barky, and they're both pure white like their dad Bowser." Frieda happily looked at the photos of the redoubtable Leo.

"*Ahem!*" coughed Martin Nash, as a hint. That earned him a dark look from Your Iron Crowbar. Socializing over family dogs took precedence over the FBI at the moment.

"Frieda," I said a moment later, "these guys are my friends Jack and Martin. Martin used to be with us in the Police, and then he went to be an FBI Agent with Jack, here."

"Hello." Frieda said, maybe not quite as friendly in her tone as she was with me and Joanne.