Loss of Innocence

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The first few days were pretty routine. Familiarizing myself with the security protocols. Getting to know Dan. And for the first time, meeting the detainees. Because they weren't prisoners, they were given a bit more freedom of movement, and were often taken out for medical appointments. Usually one officer would accompany the patient, which left only one security officer at the facility and one supervisor. The budget wouldn't allow for any more resources. There were usually a handful of officers present with different tasks, but in a pinch could assist if there was a security incident. I told Waters that I was worried about a having a single security officer manning the perimeter. She acknowledged my concern, but told me to see if we could make this work.

There was an interesting mix of people in the facility. The vast majority were under thirty and in good physical condition. A few brought children and one woman had a baby. There were two people in their sixties, and my guess is that they paid the transport fee up front. I didn't speak Spanish, and few spoke English, so it was mostly just grunts and nods rather than a meaningful conversation. Lehka, on the other hand, got to listen to a number of their stories. She took at special interest in the new mother, Carina De León. Her baby was only four months old, and she was told she'd be given a job working in housekeeping in a hotel. In truth, the traffickers likely were going to separate her from her baby and force her into prostitution.

Lehka was working regular eight hour shifts, so our schedules didn't align well. The first three days went smoothly. Lehka and I settled into a routine, and the few times we had down time together we tried to make love, but were too tired. We didn't talk more about our relationship. We both figured we had six months to sort it out, and the priority now was learning our new jobs.

The fourth day there started ordinarily enough. Dan and I debated the merits of trading away the Red's first baseman, and his big contract, and whether Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey was the best bourbon. One of the detainees had a doctor's appointment, and I was assigned to ride along. I was in the doctor's office texting Lehka when I got a call ordering me back to the warehouse. An admin would come over to accompany the detainee back. I knew it was serious.

I rolled into the parking lot ten minutes later. There were already three squad cars there with their lights on and a scrum of people by the front entrance. There were a lot of people on the inside shouting. I saw Dan sitting on the step of the paramedic's van with an ice pack on the back of his head.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"I don't know. I got struck from behind. Probably the butt end of a gun. I went face down and didn't see anything until I came to a few minutes later."

"What happened?"

"Not sure. I was pushed over here to the van to be attended to and ordered to stay here. Sheehan just showed up and is trying to sort it out."

He lifted the ice pack and rubbed the back of his head. "God damn it Max. It happened on my shift. I let the team down."

"Dan, it couldn't have been your fault. We were short staffed. They must have known we're down one man when somewhere here has a doctor's appointment."

"Fucker caught me when I was taking a piss." He showed me a nasty bruise on his chin. "I hit my chin on the urinal on the way down. That's what really knocked me out. I think the guys at the station are never going to let me live this down."

"Another reminder that God didn't intend us to face away from the door when we're taking a piss," I told him. He gave me a weak smile.

"Glad to see you didn't get hurt. Who was the supervisor on duty?"

"Waters."

"Do you know what happened to her?"

"No. Haven't heard."

I left Dan sitting there forlorn. He wanted to help, but he was going through the concussion protocol and wouldn't be allowed back on duty until the team's doctor signed off. I went off to find Sheehan. I figured I'd look for a clump of uniforms and she'd be in the middle.

Sure enough, to one side of the front entrance was a circle of blue around Sheehan. I didn't interrupt but could hear what was being said. From what I could piece together from the intelligence they were sharing was that three men wearing balaclavas overpowered Dan and then went into the facility, found and tied up Waters and then grabbed four women. One of the women was Carina De León, and the baby was left behind. Early speculation, though unconfirmed, was that they were members of the Ukrainian gang, and snatched the people that would make the most money for them, the young women.

Sheehan spotted me standing behind the gaggle of officers. "Pemberton! Do you know where Singh is?"

"No sir," I answered.

"Find her, then check in with Waters."

I went to the office area where Lehka had a cubicle. She wasn't there. I asked the person in the next cube, and found out she went to a copy center to make copies. I called her on her cell.

"Max, what's up?"

"Four women were kidnapped from our facility."

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, yeah, Dan and I are OK but Cap wants you back here ASAP."

I went to find Waters. She was sitting in her office, filling out a report. She was an attractive brunette, though the day's events put a scowl on her face.

"Pemberton, what's up?" She put down her pen and folded her hands on top of the desk.

"Cap told me to see you."

"With Pearson out, you're going to have to pick up at least one of his shifts while he recovers." I could see red marks on her wrists where she was zipped tied. She saw where my eyes were focused.

"You OK?" I asked.

"Yeah, really more embarrassed than anything else. I was sitting here when two hooded men came into my office with handguns." Then she offered an apology. "Should have known we were too exposed," she admitted. "We were trying to stay on budget and were too thin with the security staff."

It was good to see that Waters was open to constructive criticism. "We need one more person," I added, stating the obvious.

"Right you are Max. We've put in for one more officer to handle the doctor's appointments and other off-site visits. We'll always have two security officers on duty."

That made me feel better. But now we had to find Carina and the other three women and had a baby to take care of.

* * *

By the time Lehka got back, Sheehan was in her field office.

"Max, Lehka, have a seat."

We sat in those Steelcase chairs with the fake green leather seat coverings. Her desk wasn't much nicer.

"I know you didn't sign up for this, but Lehka is one of our most experienced detectives, and the two of you solved a difficult double murder case. I'm going to pull you off your assignments to find these four women. We have Carina's baby in foster care."

"For fuck's sake. Is there any bottom for these animals?" I asked, disgusted with this latest development.

"Apparently not Max. You're going to report to Lieutenant Waters. She's already been briefed. You two up to this?"

"Yes sir," we both said at once. I would have volunteered for this and my guess is that Lehka would have as well.

"Good, now kick some asses and bring them back."

* * *

"Shit Lehka, I was looking forward to a routine six months. Now we've got to tackle a Ukrainian gang," I said to her as we left Sheehan's office.

"First things first, Max," said Lehka.

"Yeah, what's that?"

"Lunch. I'm starving."

We went to Cincinnati's finest, Skyline Chili. They specialized in chili dogs. We ordered and then slid into a molded plastic booth. I'm a traditionalist. I go for the standard three way. A hot dog slathered in savory chili and topped with diced onions and a mountain of finely shredded cheese. Lehka wanted it spicy, like our sex, and substituted habanero cheese. We each ordered two, and left stuffed and happy.

"What next?" she asked in the bright sunlight in the parking lot.

"Station. See if we can round up some intel on the Ukrainians."

Chapter Five

Olek

Our first stop was Maddy Barnes. She ran the back office for our department's drug task force. Maddy knew everyone and everything about the people running drugs in our town. I figured the Ukrainians hit Maddy's radar screen at one time or another and could give us a lead. Her office was in an annex to our station, the newer wing with the nicer furnishings. She was a cute young thing, probably early 30's with short brown hair, thick eyebrows and designer glasses. She had perpetual man issues. I could never keep track. She was typing away on her computer when Lehka and I went into her office.

"Hey Maddy, how are you?" She scolded me the last time we talked for skipping the social niceties.

"Fine, and good of you to ask," she said, lifting up her glasses onto the top of her head.

"Dating anyone?" I asked. Who said I was lousy at small talk?

"Your partner, Lanny."

That was somewhat unexpected. Lanny had dated most of the women in the station, but I thought Maddy was above all that.

"Slumming it, huh?"

"He's a sweet man."

"Yeah he is. But he has a wandering eye."

"I know his rep. He's latched onto to me, for better or worse."

"Latched on?"

"He proposed."

"No."

"Yes. I'm thinking about it."

I forgot why I was in her office. No one had ever tamed Lanny.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Not sure I'm ready to settle down with him."

"Enough about me. So what's up?" she asked.

"We're here about the snatch and grab this morning."

"Right. I heard about that. Ukrainians. Tough bunch. You're looking for Olek Shevchenko."

"How solid is your intelligence?"

"It's a gang based out of Detroit. Olek controls Cincinnati. The usual. Drugs, prostitution, gambling. They have their fingers into everything. You created a power vacuum when you arrested Jumbo. They filled it. I think they took what they viewed as their property."

"Do you know where we can find them?"

"I think Lanny might know more. He was reassigned to our unit while you're on temporary assignment. He's been tracking Shevchenko for us."

That made sense. That's how Lanny and Maddy hooked up.

Maddy looked at Lehka. "Good to see you Lehka. Didn't have anything better to do than hang out with this loser? By the way, you look terrific."

"Thanks. I ran out of things to do in Columbus so I decided to come to Cincinnati. Max seems to get in all kinds of trouble so I'm here to bail her out."

"Looks like you have a pretty babysitter Max."

"She's all right. I think she's got the hots for me."

"Character flaw," Maddy noted.

"Right," I said. I wanted to add "fuck you," but she gave me valuable info.

* * *

We sought out Lanny in the break room. He was usually in there trying to charm the females in the department. We found him sitting by himself reading a manual on police procedures. I'm not sure I ever saw him crack a book.

"Whatcha doing partner?" I asked him.

"Reading."

"I can see that. Are you OK?" I asked him. I was thinking he was ready for a psychological examination.

"Studying for the sergeant's examination."

"Really?" Lanny never exhibited this kind of ambition. He was usually more interested in chasing women.

"Yeah, would be nice to make what you're making Max. Trying to save up for a down payment on a house."

"Setting up shop with Maddy?"

"How'd you know about that?"

"Just saw her. You're way over your head partner."

"Yeah, I know. I'm trying to keep my nose clean Max. It's hard for me."

"You must really love her."

"I do. She's the real deal as far as I'm concerned."

"I've got to say you're right. Just hope you can keep up."

"I'll try. So what can I do for you? I hear you and Lehka are working together again."

There were no secrets at the station. Did everyone know my business?

"Right. Maddy told us about Shevchenko. Do you know where he is?"

"Not exactly. But I know some places where you might find him."

"Where?"

"Syd's for one. Apparently he's moving the stuff that Syd's crew is trying to fence. Also seen him hanging out at Kolba's Taverne. It's a Ukrainian restaurant in North Fairmount."

"Great, Syd loves me," I said. Syd actually hated my guts. Lanny was with me when we rousted him to find Lester Marsden, a lowlife snitch who knew who killed my former partner Rachel Tompkins. I also helped put away Syd's wife for dealing drugs from behind the counter. That didn't ingratiate me with him either.

"I can go with you," Lanny offered.

"That's OK," I told him. "Lehka and I can handle this. Better to keep you in reserve."

"You know best Max."

Lanny trusted me implicitly.

* * *

We drove to the West End, which was one of the poorer neighborhoods in Cincinnati and the beat that Lanny and I patrolled. Syd's was located in the heart of the West End, surrounded by abandoned houses and dilapidated store fronts. The front window of the bar was bricked over long ago, and there were perpetually at least a half dozen motorcycles parked in front. Syd was cleaning off one of the tables when Lehka and I walked into the dingy interior of the bar. It made my skin crawl to be in that place. He looked up at me with dark eyes. The few hairs that he had were clumped together and hanging over his forehead.

"Brought one of your lesbo lovers I see?" Syd spit out with venom in his voice. He put his head down and went back to wiping off the table and ignoring us.

We walked up to his table so I was inches from him. He stank like the bar.

He raised his head slowly. "Gonna rough me up you miserable bitch?" His eyes radiated hate.

"Nope," I said. "I'm going to have my lesbo partner do that."

Lehka grabbed his forearm and gave it a quick twist. His eyes were as big as saucers. There was fear in them. He was all talk.

"Let me go you dyke!" he shouted. The bikers in the back stopped their pool game to watch. They knew from the last time I was in there that it was probably better not to get involved. They went back to their game as we roughed up the bar owner.

I put my face right in his. I could see sweat beading up on his forehead as Lehka applied more pressure. His face was as red as a ripe tomato. She jerked upward. I watched his eyes clench together as they squeezed out a tear. Lehka was enjoying it. I didn't know that about her.

"Listen shithead. My partner Lehka here hates misogynistic motherfuckers like you. She wants to twist your arm off but I'm lobbying for your pathetic pecker. Have you seen Olek Shevchenko?"

"Never heard of him."

Lehka twisted a bit more. His face was contorted and he was snorting through his nose. His ratty eyes burned with contempt.

"They'll kill me..."

"You'll wish you were dead after we make you a one armed eunuch."

"I haven't seen him in a week. Honest."

Lehka let go. He sighed and rubbed his arm.

"Thanks for nothing shitbird." I spit on the table and pointed to it. "I think you missed a spot."

* * *

Unfortunately Syd was telling the truth. He didn't tolerate pain well, and Lehka must have picked up that skill in charm school. Our next option was the restaurant. Strong armed techniques wouldn't work there. I didn't know exactly who to shake down, so we decided to stake it out. Maddy sent us a grainy surveillance photo of Shevchenko, so at least we knew who we were looking for.

We used Lehka's rental car for the stakeout, parking a half block away with a clear sightline to the restaurant's front entrance. We'd been there for about two hours, and it was drawing near their 11 p.m. closing time. Lehka and I decided to wait until they closed and extinguished the lights in the off chance that Shevchenko would show up after hours.

No one had gone in or left in an hour and we were bored shitless. The food was gone and our coffee thermoses were empty.

"Nothing doing here, Max."

"Let's just wait another thirty minutes Lehka."

We hadn't had any alone time in a while, and we were too tired to have sex when we got back to the apartment. Apparently Lehka decided that now was the time to get frisky. I was sitting in the driver's seat. Her pretty little hand started to unbutton my pants.

"What are you doing?" I asked her, knowing full well what she was doing.

"Just visiting an old friend," she said. She slipped her hand inside my panties. I could feel her fingers raking through my pubic hair. I involuntarily lifted up my hips. She slid my pants down to my knees.

"Lehka..."

That naughty girl.

"Shut up," she barked at me. She licked two of her fingers and worked them inside my panties. I didn't realize how horny I was. The fingers reminded me.

"Oh God Lehka," I gasped. She found my G spot. I could feel myself getting very wet. I felt like I was in a high school flashback.

Her thumb found my clit. I took a glance at the restaurant. No movement. I closed my eyes, just for a second. She was going to make me cum. The sense of danger made it even better.

"Oh Max... I love your wet pussy," she whispered in my ear. Her hot wet breath gave me a shiver. Lehka was some kind of nasty.

"Ummm. I love your fingers," I moaned back to her. She was rubbing her fingertips against my G-spot. She knew where my buttons were and how to push them.

I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't. It was feeling too fucking good.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

My window vibrated hard enough that I thought was going to break.

My sweet reverie was inundated in cold water by the butt end of a policeman's flashlight hitting the driver's side window. The officer outside turned on the flashlight and flipped it over so it was shining in my face. I lowered the window. I couldn't make out who it was.

"Max?"

It was Emil Rodriguez. He patrolled the West End when I was there. Apparently he still was, and was treated to the sight of my pants down to my knees. Lehka had a guilty and embarrassed look on her face and was trying to hide her wet fingers from view. I hadn't been this embarrassed since high school when a mother came home early to find me kissing her daughter in her bedroom.

"Hey Rodriguez." I was brain locked. My lips started moving, spouting gibberish. "Lehka and I... uh... Lehka was looking for her keys."

I had to think fast and I wasn't particularly good at it.

"Did they happen to be in your pussy Max?" he deadpanned.

Rodriguez had a Cheshire smile on his face. We really stepped in it. This gossip worthy incident would have prominent mention during Sheehan's early morning briefing. Yet another chapter in the annals of "What the fuck was Max thinking?"

"Sorry Emil..." I started to say.

Emil didn't let me finish.

"Just keep your pants on Max. Have a good night."

He climbed back to his patrol car. I could see him in the car having a laugh with his partner. It was already starting. The next day was going to be brutal.

I pulled up my pants and buttoned them. The lights were off in the restaurant. We didn't miss anything.

"That was a close one, wasn't it Max?" Lehka said excitedly and naively. She didn't appreciate the power and speed of the department's grapevine. It was likely that everyone would know about it in the next hour.

"Yeah. A close one." I gave Lehka a kiss on the lips. I didn't want to tell her that Emil was the biggest blabbermouth in the station.

I was thankfully distracted when headlights flashed past us.

"Over there." I pointed to a black Mercedes pulling up to the curb. Two men got out, but the shadowy light didn't allow us to see who they were. We watched them go up to the restaurant's entrance. The lights turned on to greet them. Even from our distance, I could tell it was Shevchenko. He was wearing a long gray coat that looked expensive. He was smoking a cigar. His dark, shiny hair was unmistakable. He looked like a polished man carrying himself with confidence.

123456...8