Lost in the Light Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bastard! At least leave me a knife!" She screamed. There was no reply.


****


By late evening they had found a new location and were making camp. Tents were rehung just as easily as they had been dismantled that morning. Tamain watched the Elthairins work in silence and appreciated how effective their methods were. No permanent base of operations to worry about defending, no possessions other than essentials, and no supply trains. Everything was carried on the backs of the knights in packs who traveled arms free and capable of combat.

Tamain reminded himself that theses were just Elthairin scouts. Silent and deadly in their own right, but designed for reconnaissance and mobility. The strong arm of the Elthairin military were the Sky Riders, and thankfully he had never seen one. Secretly he wished they had a few to call on, but also dreaded ever seeing one. Leaf Knights were formidable enough for one Zecairin's lifetime.

Their new camp was south of the Monastery, deep in the forest and away from any noticeable landmarks. To the Northwest was the small mountainside where they had first encountered each other, and far, far to the southeast were the marshes that Tamain called home. He still considered this area to be in his backyard. Anyplace close enough for him to see in a few days journey was too close for comfort for there to be potential danger. The main river in the marshlands emptied out into the blue sea, but his people had no boats to sail across the ocean, just fishing canoes. There was no place for them to run but back to Zecair if this went bad.

That unlikely thread of connection - a simple name - had changed Riyarra's position on this Monastery. She had confided in both Eola and himself during their walk that morning as to the nature of her savior, his mission in Zecair, and the dubious mercenary nature of these warriors called Disruptors. She was now all the more intent to destroy that place if they did not surrender peacefully. Tamain could not fault her in her conviction; this newly revealed secret could tip the balance of power between the three kingdoms. Humans that could easily infiltrate their borders, wreak havoc, and escape unchallenged simply because all thought they were too weak to be capable? It was devilishly devious.

His people had been given orders to circle around the walls to the west, sneak over and take up vantage points on the rooftops. They were to create a diversion if the Queen's plan went awry and cover her retreat. That left the Discarded exposed during such a diversion, but Tamain was confident they could cause enough confusion to dilute the risk. But if the worst happened, his people could not stand against the humans in combat. The Queen was right about that, he had seen their abilities just a moment ago from the tree tops.

Valel placed a hand on Tamain's shoulder and brought his thoughts back to the moment. He looked over to the sharp features of the light elf's face, and realized he had never had an opportunity to get a good look at Valel before. Their meetings had always been intense ones during which Tamain was paying attention to a million other things at once. This time he appreciated the man's countenance. He was one of the few knights Tamain would call noble.

Tamain was about to speak, but no words came out. It was one of the Elthairin's rules when they set up a new camp - silence on the ground. And he had caught himself before he broke it. Instead he offered the Elthairin his hand again, it may be the last opportunity he would have to greet him - or say goodbye. Their alliance hadn't produced the fruit Tamain had hoped, but there was still a chance after this business was done. There was no telling how it would play out, and who would be in danger. But to this one Elthairin - one Tamain could call brother in a certain regard - he wanted to say 'Good luck'. Valel grasped his hand firmly, and then Tamain's forearm with his other hand in a solid greeting. In his face he said "This isn't goodbye" but the strength of his grasp said "don't die."

They broke, each continuing on with their own task without another thought. For Tamain, it was reuniting with his Discarded at their own camp, now that the Queen's plan had been debated and solidified. He walked with purpose and determination, and made certain every Elthairin that cared to look his direction would see him standing tall and determined. Their risk was great, and their respective roles were equally dangerous. He would not be the one to tremble, nor to falter, nor to worry, nor to glance at their faces for one last look as if to try and record their names should they fall tomorrow.

No, he would be one to walk with a cocky strut. He was a Zecairin walking through an Elthairin camp unchallenged - something that never happened. And he planned to do it again. Perhaps even naked next time.

His solitary walk was quiet and uneventful. Plenty of time to put his thoughts in order, and plenty of time to test his abilities. Since leaving the Elthairins, he had extended his sensory range and picked up sounds from far, far away. The headaches didn't return with this moderate use of magic - he was in the clear now.

It was well into the evening when he came across the illusionary barrier that masked their small camp. He had been so lost in thought that when he absentmindedly walked right through it, and the small cluster of tall bushes turned into a campfire ring with a group of Zecairins sitting around it eagerly awaiting him, he spooked. Tamain brought up his guard, and a whirlwind rose up around him. He dissipated it almost immediately upon seeing Corella looking at him skeptically.

"I was just proving that I am whole again." He lied. His tone of voice had turned from the whimsical rogue, to the dire strategist. Lysia had first heard him speak with such seriousness when he coerced her to their side, and since that night saw his more jovial nature emerged. It sent a certain shiver down her spine that was not entirely unpleasant.

"Uh huh..." Pemmi snorted, dismissing his show of bravado.

"Orders, watch-master?" Ut'van said in all seriousness. It was a title really only used back at The Swamp. Out here rank wasn't used or needed, anyone that didn't already know their roles had no place here. Tamain preferred his people to be on equal standing, and he had never needed to force anyone's compliance.

"You are not going to like it." He said, and explained Riyarra's plan to walk right in and make her inquiries.

"Are they crazy?" Corella almost laughed when Tamain finished explaining it all.

"To a certain extent." Tamain agreed with her assessment. "At first they offer polite diplomacy, and to avoid bloodshed. But with their soldiers already waiting in the tree line to sack the place should she be denied... Honestly, it is the only worthwhile option that is not slitting their throats as they sleep."

"Why aren't we doing that? That sounds better. I like that." Gerrick added dryly, and a bit too excitedly. "Brutal, yes. But is there anyone on our side thinking they're not guilty? I don't see the point to letting them live. They have a captive demon prisoner..." he starting laying out his points in the air with his hands. It was clearly he was ready to slit a few throats with just a word. "They are milking it of its essence and making a drug. They're selling this drug to our people and it's killing us. The Elthairin's way gives them too much of a chance to murder us all. Who's going to kill the demon if we're all murdered?" His passion unsettled Lysia. Not because she didn't feel it justified, in fact she shared his feelings, but because none of the other Zecairins were this worked up.

"I am." Tamain said coldly, and eerily rational. "I must reserve some of my impressive stamina to kill this eldritch Elder... whether they give it up willingly or not. If they do not, there will be chaos and blood. I will need to squander some of my power to mend organs and to keep many of you from bleeding to death. Not to mention showing the Elthairin Knights the same such courtesy as they will be our vanguard. No... make no mistake, if this goes badly and we are needed, it will be the worst way it can possible go. These humans are tough, just one of them could kill all of us. And it will take three to four Elths engaged in combat and not dying to kill one. There's only about twice as many Elths as the human fighters, so if they lose a single one the odds get that much worse."

"We're fucked." Corella snorted derisively, with a hint of madness. "Why are we even doing this, it's ridiculous!"

"To save Zecair." Tamain reminded her angrily. "Elthair is using our kin's new aggressive attitude as an excuse to rekindle the forges... according to the old Elth, that is."

"Yep, double fucked." Ut'van sighed.

"Nothing's wrong with getting double fucked." Rollis said as he walked through the barrier and rejoined them with a bundle of leathers under his arm. "Just don't clench up." he waggled his eyebrows obscenely at Lysia, before turning to Tamain. "Boss, remember we got an Elth here? Mind your fucking language around the Elth, before she gets offended at you calling her people Elths."

"I don't mind, Zek," Lysia countered in kind. "Now isn't the time to be dishonest."

"Woo hoo," Rollis sauntered over. His flamboyant mood was out of place for the normally brooding archer. He sized the moody brown haired girl up and formed a new opinion. "I brought the dear lady a gift." He bowed, overly dramatically, before presenting his bundle before her. "If you're going to run with us, you'll need to dress like us. So no one mistakes which side you're with."

Lysia looked at them suspiciously.

"I washed them, I swear." Rollis protested, indignantly.

"Fine," She gathered them up and left to change.

"I kinda like her in the Elthairin greens." Pemmi whispered. "It makes me want to fuck her angrily." The disapproving look Tamain gave her made her pointed ears roll flat. "What? You were thinking it too!"

"We will infiltrate at dawn." Tamain said sternly, followed by an exasperated sigh that took the edge off his voice. "That will give us time to test them. If they don't detect us, we should have no problem stirring things up later. Keep in mind there are other humans in there besides the fighters that seem to be much less capable. Use them to stir things up. Riyarra plans to approach late morning. If they detect us, we pull out, and it only strengthens Riyarra's chance for diplomacy later. This alliance is our trump card against them. They won't expect us to work together. So they'll ignore one or the other, expecting us to attack each other before them, when instead we'll be unified against them."

"Yeah, I forgot about that." Gerrick admitted. "Good point. Lets fuck 'em up."

"No," Tamain condescended sternly. "We are not to engage them. We spook the rats so the Elthairins can escape. If this turns into a fight. Run. Or you'll die." Tamain's grimness wasn't going over well with the others.

"That bad?" Corella called him out on it. "Worse than what we've already faced?"

"No, you have a point," Tamain conceded with a sigh. "I just want us all to get out alive. But these humans are not like anything we've faced. They're very different."

"People die out here Tam," Corella said angrily, her patience for his coddling reaching its end. "Or did you forget that? We haven't, and we're still here for this insane adventure. You're the one driving us to save Zecair, and we're in for it to the end, so you better have your head in this right. You're not going to save us all, so save as many as you can."

Tamain ground his knuckles into his temples.

"I hate you so much sometimes," he bemoaned. Corella smirked and folded her arms over her chest.

"I love you too, Tam,"

"Fine. I want to strut naked back into the Elth's camp." Tam admitted with a devious smirk. "I want every single Elthairin to survive tomorrow so I can show them my ass when we're done. If we both suffer too many losses, that would just be cruel."

"Finally, a cause worth dying for!" Rollis blurted out with a sarcastic snort.

"Alright," Tamain said with a sigh and pulled his knuckles away from his reddening temples. "I am in it to show my ass. No more gloom and doom. If Riyarra reveals who she is, or they figure it out, they won't kill her. They will want to use her. They might kill whoever she takes with her, but the moment they move to strike we give them something else to strike at. It has to be instant terror or they won't budge. These are seasoned warriors. I want... Shadow-wraiths." he said, naming the elite Zecairin guard.

"That's a little close to home," Ut'van argued scratching his chin. "If we're too convincing, won't that make the Elthairins shoot at us too?"

"Shadow-wraiths out here? This far out?" Corella said skeptically. "Only a human would fall for that." She smirked. "I like it."
"But we aren't Shadow-wraiths." Tamain made his point clear. "We jump out swords drawn, pick off a few rats if we must for effect until they scramble. The point is to get them to give chase. So we head for something important inside like we've made our mark. Head for the biggest building or something that looks important... and set it on fire." They could see the wheels of mischief turning behind those wild eyes as he stared into the fire as his thoughts came together. "Duck out a window, pull back to the wall, regroup near the front entrance. If they don't bite and chase you to the wall - up and over and head to the tree line, lose them there. The Elthairins will be waiting. Our allies will have a small group ready to pull Riyarra out when she gives them the signal. They'll be coming in the front. We just need to buy some time."

"Then we try again tomorrow?" Katral asked, speaking up for the first time. She was trying to follow it all and her question was genuine. Ut'van gave her an incredulous look.

"Then the Elthairins take up high vantage points around the perimeter and pick off anyone who isn't holed up inside one of their buildings. At that point it becomes a siege." Tamain said. "One final point." he squatted before the campfire to choose his thoughts carefully. "There is a Zecairin training among them. Her true loyalties are unknown, but we must assume she is the human's ally." No one liked the sound of that. "We give her no mercy. We can't afford to here. Even if she isn't aligned with them, she may feign captivity to get under our guard. Reports say they're training her, so she owes them some loyalty."

"Aye," Rollis grunted sourly. "Don't like it, but the last thing we need is a Blooded Mistress trained to fight as well as they do. She'll be a real bitch to deal with, and hard to kill."

"She will be our responsibility." Tamain said. "We've already discovered a weakness to our new alliance because of the Blooded Mistress Riyarra tied to a tree last night - not all of our allies know all our faces yet, and they're erring on the side of caution. Valel was raped, and nearly killed." Tamain rolled his eyes. He took a bit of perverse pleasure when he had heard that particularly juicy gossip from Riyarra.

"The poor boy," Corella bemoaned sarcastically. Tamain glanced up at her with a doubtful scowl. "Sorry, that was mean. I'm just jealous, he's rather handsome for an Elth. I wanted first shot." Rollis rolled his eyes and snorted.

"He... is also the Queen's newly appointed consort." Tamain said slowly. Silence followed.

"I did not see that one coming." Katral said.

"She works fast." Rollis said.

"The poor boy," Pemmi reiterated.

"Dammit!" Corella cursed.

Tamain let them get it out of their systems, but then he noticed a few absent voices. Pebbles was ignoring all the banter and sharpening her wrist knives with a whetstone. She sat against one of the logs pulled in to ring the fire and seemed to care less what the battle plan was. Her role as lookout and scout rarely changed, and Tamain was tempted to make an exception for this one mission - they needed all the fighting power they could muster. But his personal feelings stalled out tactical mind into a muddle of ambiguity.

"Scharla" Tamain said softly. The rancor cut off sharply. Faosen, feigning to be napping beside the girl, awoke with a wince at that name. Pebbles looked up to meet his eyes. Tamain saw cold steel start to form in the young girl - a murderous rage wielded by reason and kept leashed by an old personal promise of revenge. Casually, she lifted a hand to brush strands of her black hair from her face to tuck behind her long ear.

"God father?" she replied politely, but a little too stand-offish.

"No need to hold back." Tamain said. Pebbles eyes drifted down to her work, and she lifted a knife to catch the firelight. It was a skinny thing, but with a long enough handle and blade to be well suited to throwing or hand to hand combat. She brought her legs up to her, held the blade between the toes of both feet, and with her hands held the stone at such an angle so as to start grinding little serrations into the base of the blade at the handle. Faosen watched her work with morbid curiosity. Corella looked to Tamain, hurt in her eyes, but she understood his reasons.

"I'll go see if Lysia needs any help." Corella said and wandered off. An uncomfortable silence crept over the group.

"We've got a big day tomorrow. Don't stay up too late." Tamain said in closing.

"Yes, God-father," Rollis said in a patronizing tone. Tamain smacked his ass at the archer in taunt as he walked off.

"If you're not up to it..." Gerrick said gently to Pebbles as he stoked the fire. "You can hang back." Pebbles ignored him for the most part. But gave up on "enhancing" her weapon when it wasn't going as planned. She leaned back, fell against Faosen's shoulder, startling the young man, and looked up at Gerrick with intelligent expression of deliberation.

"Do you know what I love about being a little girl?" She asked him.

"The boys?" Gerrick said with a smile, nodding at blushing Faosen who didn't know what to do about this sudden coy expression of affection from the only one here nearest his age. Pebbles lifted her knife up to catch the light of the fire.

"No one sees the knife until it's too late." She said in all seriousness. "Not even that oaf Brylen..." Gerick shuddered and relented. Faosen smirked at some hidden humor. He strategically repositioned to give her his chest and an arm around her, which was not only allowed, but welcomed as she let go the blade immediately and snuggled up tightly. Without another word, she nestled against him and closed her eyes for the evening. Faosen, too shocked at this and too excited to rest, volunteered for the first watch as the others turned in. Pebbles's stirring commentary settled their doubts, and gave them new steel for thought on the day to come...

Had he gone too far? Tamain tucked his chin into his collar and leaned against the trunk of a willow tree. The shaded canopy gave him some needed privacy to wrestle with his doubts, and also deafened him to the outside world as he had chosen it as a natural barrier to intruders so he could give his magic a rest.

Tomorrow he would kill a demon.

The thought of it thrilled him, terrified him, and elated him that his search for a solution to the Zecairin sickness was finally within reach. To that end, his crimes against his comrades were inconsequential. He took a deep, calming breath and allowed himself to relax. Only the chirp of crickets and the occasional hoot of a night owl in the distance kept him company and it was all he needed.

He hadn't dozed for long when he felt something pull at his sleeve.

Tamain looked up but there was no one around him. Instead there were two hands made of bark coming from the tree. It wasn't uncomfortable, but as he struggled to free himself he realized it was becoming problematic. Trapped as he may be, he had a likely suspicion who it was, and was more annoyed than worried. He didn't want to deal with her right now.