Love for the Ages

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you okay," Ty asked, kneeling down beside her.

"I've had better days," she answered, a little sarcastically.

Ty wet the corner of the bandanna with water from the canteen and handed it to her.

"For your lip," he said, pointing to the cut on her lower lip.

She took the offered cloth and pressed it to cut on her lip, wincing slightly.

"Can I take a look at your ankle?" Ty asked. There was no need to question her about what had happened. It was obvious that she had somehow fallen or been knocked from the saddle. Her foot had hung in the stirrup, and the untrained horse had run, dragging her until her foot had come out of her boot.

"Well, that's usually a third or fourth date question, but seeing as how you asked so nicely, sure," she said with a faint smile that caused her hypnotic green eyes to sparkle like the facets of a flawless emerald.

He raised her pants leg and slowly pulled her sock down and off her foot. Her foot was petite and, he found, quite sexy. Her toenails were painted a bright red which almost matched her fiery red hair. The ankle was another story. It had begun to swell and was already an angry purple with bruising. He moved her foot easily forward and backward and side to side while holding her ankle, trying to feel movement in the bones that might indicate a break. He didn't feel anything except her hand landing on his shoulder as the pain of his ministrations flew up her leg.

"Sorry," he quietly apologized. "I guess I'm still used to doing battlefield assessments which tend to not have much of a bedside manner."

"You're a solider?" she asked, more to take her mind off her aching body than curiosity.

"I was," Ty said, looking around for something to use as a splint.

Ty found a straight stick about 14" long. Using his Marine Corp K-Bar knife from his saddle bag, he split the stick down the middle, leaving two flat surfaces. Using the bandanna he had given her, and one from his pocket, he tied the two sticks on either side of her injured ankle and down just past her foot to keep it from rocking side to side.

"Do you think you could ride, if I can you get you onto your horse?" Ty asked her.

"I think so," she said, gamely.

He leaned down to help her stand up. As she stood, the first thing he noticed was that she was tall. Probably 5'10 or 5'11. Her legs were long and slender, her hips flaring just enough and her butt was nicely rounded. Her waist was narrow, and although it was hard to tell in the loose fitting button up shirt, she appeared to have high, rounded breasts that weren't large or small, but rather just right for her frame. Placing her arm over his shoulder and his arm around her waist, he helped her to where the mare was still tied to a tree. Once they reached the horse, he turned her to face him, put her hands on his shoulders and his big hands on her waist.

"You ready?" Ty asked, acutely aware of their close proximity and the intimate placement of their bodies.

"Ready as I'll ever be," she said.

"One, two, three," Ty said before lifting her easily into the saddle. She was able to swing her good leg up and over the saddle horn with Ty's hand on her back, keeping her steady.

She looked down at him, and for the first time took stock of her savior. He was tall. His white straw Stetson hat perched just right on his closely cropped light brown hair. His face was tan, handsome, with just the faintest shadow of whiskers along his strong jaw. His eyes were a steel gray color and somehow they seemed too old for the youthful face. It was like they had seen many things and held much wisdom and experience. As he turned, she noted the wide shoulders, stretching the pinstriped Wrangler shirt nicely. His biceps, she could tell, even in the long sleeves, were clearly muscled. His hips were narrow and he perfectly filled out the seat of the Wrangler jeans. His legs were long, but he walked with a lightness and grace that belied his size. If she hadn't been looking at him, she doubted she would have heard his steps as he moved toward his big buckskin stallion.

Ty mounted and turned to face this beautiful girl.

"By the way," she said, "my name's Kera O'Shea."

"Ty Lansing," he smiled back at her. "I'm pleased to meet you, Miss O'Shea."

"I'm most happy to meet you, Ty Lansing," she said before turning her mare back down the hill.

*****

An hour later, they entered the ranch yard at the B-Bar-B Ranch. A short stout man came from the barn, shading his eyes against the setting sun.

"Hey Dad!" Kera called, with a brief wave and turned her horse toward where he was standing.

"Kera?" he said questioningly, his glance going from her dirty clothes and disheveled hair, then over to the cowboy on the big buckskin stallion.

"I took a bit of a spill," Kera said as she reined to a stop. "Nugget spooked at something, I still don't know what, and she jumped and spun and I just wasn't ready for it and I toppled off, but my boot caught in the stirrup and I think that scared her worse because she started really running then. She drug me through the dirt and the bushes until my foot finally twisted out of my boot. Ty, er, Mr. Lansing, found Nugget down in the valley and backtracked her to where I was. He splinted my ankle, got me back on the horse and home."

Mr. O'Shea's look had gone from suspicious to one of gratitude. "I thank ye much Mr. Lansing. I hate to think that she might have been left out there overnight."

"I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time," Ty said.

"Kera!" came a woman's voice from the house.

"Hey Mom," Kera said, smiling to let her know she was alright.

Kera's mother was an older version of the young girl. Tall in stature, with the same red hair, although her eyes were more of a hazel color. She walked quickly to her daughter who still sat astride her mare.

"What have we told you about wandering these hills alone. You've too much wildness in you girl," she scolded, but with affection. "Let's get you down off there and into the house."

Ty quickly dismounted Buck and stepped up to help Kera from the saddle. She swung her good leg back over the saddle horn until she was sitting in the saddle sideways, facing Ty, with both legs dangling off the mare's left side. Ty reached up, placing his hands on her waist and she leaned down and again placed her hands on his broad shoulders. She felt him take her weight in his strong hands and just let herself be lowered down the side of the horse as he lightly placed her on the ground. She put her weight on her good foot and held the other up off the ground. They stood like that, close, looking into each others eyes for what felt like hours, but was really only seconds, before he stepped back, raising his hands from her waist, to take her by the hands to help balance her. Her mother and father quickly moved in, each taking a side and starting to escort her toward the ranch house. Ty stood watching them go before her mother looked back over her shoulder.

"Take care of the horses, then come to the house," she said simply.

Her father seemed about to object, but Kera said, "It's okay Dad, really, he's good with her."

Ty didn't understand. Maybe she'd hit her head harder than he thought. At any rate, Mr. O'Shea turned with Kera and her mother, back toward the house.

Ty took the mare to the barn, found the stall marked "Nugget", stripped her saddle, bridle, and blanket and gave her a quick rub down. He found the feed bin and got a bucket of oats and put it in her stall, along with a fresh armful of hay in the manger. He filled her water bucket and then went outside to tend to Buck.

He led Buck to the water trough and while he was drinking his fill, Ty loosened the saddle and gave him a quick brushing. Just as he finished, the door of the house opened.

"Come and eat," Kera's mother called.

Ty started toward the house, using his hands to brush off the worst of the dust. As he entered the house, he removed his hat and hung it on the rack. He followed the voices to the kitchen where Kera and her father were already seated at the table. Her father sat at the head of the table, Kera to his left side. She had changed from her riding clothes to a tee shirt and a pair of shorts. Her hair had been combed out and her face washed. Her injured leg sat propped in the chair next to her on a pillow. Ty assumed the chair on the other side of the table, and to the right of Mr. O'Shea would be for Mrs. O'Shea, so after washing his hands in the kitchen sink, he sat down at the other end of the table, opposite Mr. O'Shea.

"I hope you like lamb chops and potatoes," Mrs. O'Shea asked, bringing steaming pots and pans to the table.

"Yes ma'am," Ty said, "I certainly do."

Ty waited as Mrs. O'Shea started putting food on everyone's plate. She didn't ask, she just dished and moved on. Once all of the food was served, she sat down and everyone bowed their heads.

"May this food restore our strength, giving new energy to tired limbs, new thoughts to weary minds. May this drink restore our souls, giving new vision to dry spirits, new warmth to cold hearts. And once refreshed, may we give new pleasure to You, who gives us all. Amen," Mr. O'Shea said the blessing.

"Amen," Ty echoed.

The food was delicious. Ty didn't realize how hungry he was. The women spoke, mostly about Kera's harrowing experience. Ty couldn't help but notice her stealing glances at him when she told her mother how he had appeared out of nowhere with her wayward horse, how he had tended to her injuries and had seen her home safely. Mrs. O'Shea had thanked him again for finding and returning her daughter to her. Ty had blushed and mumbled something to the effect of, "Just glad I could help".

After supper, Mr. O'Shea had invited Ty into the living room.

"So I gather by the name that you're the Lansing that owns the big ranch at the head of the valley," Mr. O'Shea said while making two drinks.

"Yes Sir," Ty said, "I just took over operation this past week, after the death of my father."

"That was a year ago," Mr. O'Shea said, handing one glass of Irish Whiskey to Ty.

"Yes Sir, it was. I was, unfortunately, in Afghanistan when he passed, and was unable to get back home until now."

"Military?"

"Yes Sir, Marine Corp."

Mr. O'Shea simply nodded his head and took a drink from his glass.

"I was actually riding over to introduce myself today when I found your daughter's horse. I'd come from Mr. Anderson's ranch and had cut across the lower valley when I saw the mare off at the base of the hills. A riderless horse is never a good sign so I went to check it out, and you've already heard the rest of the story," Ty said, tasting the whiskey. He'd never been a drinking man, but felt it would have been rude to refuse.

"I'm glad you did lad, that girl in there may be 23 years old, but she's still our baby girl. She can work right along side me, or any man, and ride anything with hair, but at the end of the day, she's still our baby," he said with emotion.

"Well, Sir, I enjoyed the meal and the conversation, but I best be getting back. Gus will think I've fallen off and hit my head somewhere," Ty joked as he got up. "If there's ever anything the Rocking-L can do for you, just call on me, and please thank Mrs. O'Shea for the wonderful meal, and tell Miss Kera I hope she gets better soon," he said more seriously.

"You're welcome here anytime, lad, and again, thank you," Mr. O'Shea said, rising from his chair as he extended his hand.

Ty shook it and turned to leave. He didn't see Kera or her mother, so he grabbed his hat from the rack and went outside. Tightening the saddle, he mounted Buck and headed back toward the Rocking-L, thankful for the full moon. It would be after midnight before he got home.

*****

The sun was above the horizon when Ty awoke the following morning. He felt like he'd just hit the rack, but instead of lying back down, he got up, grabbed his kit and headed for a shower.

After he'd showered and dressed, he went to the kitchen where he found coffee in the pot, two biscuits and some bacon on a plate on the table, and a note from Gus to meet him in one of the upper pastures when he got moving.

Ty, never wanting to be known as a slacker, grabbed the biscuits and bacon, wrapped them up in a bandanna and headed out, grabbing his hat on the way. Within minutes, he had Buck saddled and was headed up the trail to the high pastures, eating cold biscuits and bacon has he rode.

*****

"Sorry I'm late," Ty said as he rode up next to Gus.

"No worries, my boy. It was a late night you had last night," Gus said knowingly.

When Ty didn't reply, Gus continued.

"Rory O'Shea called me last night, just as you were leaving the B-Bar-B, just to let me know that you'd be riding late and for me to look out for you. Seems he was mighty taken by the new owner of the Rocking-L," Gus was grinning at him now. "Boy ain't home a week and he up and saves the 'Queen of the Valley'."

"The what?" Ty asked.

"Son, if you seen her, you know what I'm talking about. Every available cowhand, and some of the unavailable ones, have been chasing that girl since the O'Sheas moved in. She's been polite, but has declined every offer and proposal thus far. She's not dated anyone from the valley or otherwise. She works as hard as any hand and sits a pretty saddle, but she's content to just work on the ranch with her folks. There's a rumor that one of the Lazy-A hands has told it around that he's courting her, but you couldn't tell it by her words or actions. She danced with him at one of the town socials, but then again, she danced with me and several other folks. She's mighty light on her feet."

"Well, I doubt I'll see much of her," Ty said, without much conviction. "There's too much work to do around here to worry about chasing beautiful women who are out of my league."

"Well I don't know about that," Gus said, "you're not a bad looking feller. You own the largest ranch in the valley. You got a lot going for you son. Talk to her, get to know her and let her get to know you. You always was a good kid, and you've turned into a fine strapping young man. What's more, you've got a good head on your shoulders. My take on that gal is she ain't one of these shallow debutantes, no sir, that one's deep as the holler. You listen to old Gus boy. You think cattle and horses are all I've learned in all these years?"

"You're single," Ty said sarcastically.

"I wasn't always though." Gus said, a dreamy look on his weathered face. "I met Maggie when I was 13 and she was 10. We played together and eventually friends turned to more. We married when I was 18 and she 15. Times were different then. We had a love for the ages, just like your mother and father did. Maggie couldn't have children, but that was okay, it was enough just to have her. She got the cancer and fought it for five long years before it took her. You were just a baby when she died so you wouldn't remember her, but we had many wonderful years together and I've never sought another. Love like that is once in a lifetime. I've had mine, but I'm telling you now, if that gal's yours, don't you waste a second. Not one second, because once your time is through, that's all there is," Gus' hoarse voice was filled with a passion Ty had never heard from him.

"I'm sorry Gus, I didn't know," Ty said quietly.

"I'm not," Gus said. "I'd do it all over again, even knowing the pain that comes at the end, just to spend more time with her."

Gus rode off then, leaving Ty to his own thoughts.

*****

A week after taking over ownership of the ranch, Ty was beginning to feel like a member of the ranch crew. He had helped in roping and branding calves, mending fences, hunting strays, and had even worked in the garden. Today he was moving a few cows that were wandering a little to far south, pushing them back toward the high pastures. Topping out on a small ridge, he looked down upon a small mountain stream that actually widened into a small pool. The secluded glen was surrounded by tall fragrant pine. Ty nudged Buck and descended down to the pool. The grass was lush and green. He stopped and dismounted, grabbed some jerky from his saddle bag and his canteen. He then removed Buck's bridle, leaving his halter on, and using the picket rope, picketed Buck so that he could reach both the grass and the water. Ty then went and sat on a large flat rock on the edge of the pool, in the shade, to eat a quick bite and just relax a minute. He hadn't been there long when he heard hoof beats approaching from the other side of the pool. They were coming slowly but steadily. Ty wondered who could be up here and decided to wait and see who showed. Finally he saw a horse's head come around a rock face. He recognized the palomino colored mare, and her rider. It was Kera O'Shea.

"Well hello there, Cowboy," Kera said, surprised.

"Howdy, Miss Kera," Ty said, standing up from the rock he'd been sitting on.

"How did you find my hiding spot?"

"I was pushing a couple strays back north and topped out on that ridge and saw this little glen. It looked like a good spot to have my lunch. I can go if I'm intruding," Ty offered.

"Oh, no, it's just I've never seen anybody up here. I found it a year or so ago and now it's a good spot to just come and think."

"Well, you're welcome to come on over and share some jerky," Ty said, holding up a strip of the dried meat.

"How could a girl pass on an offer like that?" she laughed, as she turned the mare to cross the creek where it narrowed, above the pool.

Ty helped her picket the mare so that it wouldn't tangle with Buck's picket rope and they returned to the shaded rock where Ty had been sitting.

"Jerky?" Ty offered after they'd sat down.

"Thank you," Kera said, taking the offered meat strip and taking a bite of it. "Mmm, I've never had beef jerky like this."

"It's deer jerky, or venison if you prefer," he said, grinning. "Gus makes it and between me and the hands, it usually goes pretty quick."

"I can see why," she said. "It's delicious and very tender."

"I'll be sure to let Gus know he'll have to set you some aside when he makes his next batch."

"Yes, please do. I'll pay him of course."

Ty chuckled and shook his head.

"I'd sooner get him to run naked around the ranch house than to accept money from a beautiful girl for jerky," Ty said, realizing too late what he'd admitted.

"So you think I'm beautiful?" she asked him, her eyebrows slightly arched, a smile playing at her lips, and her emerald eyes sparkling.

Ty's face turned a crimson red, but there was little use in lying now.

"Busted," Ty said. "I'd have to be blind not to see how beautiful you are Kera."

"But I'm not your type?"

"I didn't think I had a type - until now."

"Every cowboy in the valley has chased me like wolves after a lone sheep. They've been bold, brash, and often explicit in their interest, but you on the other hand, have been respectful, kind, and borderline dismissive, so I'm left to wonder..." She left the rest unspoken.

"When I met you, you'd just had a spill and here I come along out of nowhere and save the day. I definitely noticed how beautiful you were, but it would have been wrong of me to try and parlay that situation into a romantic advantage. If you're interested in me, I would like it to be because of me, not because I'm the guy that found you in the woods with a bum leg."

"That's very thoughtful of you, Ty. I have thought about whether my interest in you is because you saved me, but to be honest, your rescue wasn't all that remarkable, so I would say you're safe from any hero worship," she said, smiling her beautiful smile at him.

"It was a 'little' remarkable," Ty argued playfully. "So there's interest?"

"Well, you're cute, you are very respectful, and you treat your horse well. These are all good things in my book," she said, popping the last bite of jerky into her mouth.