Love in the Cross Hairs

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laurie wasn't in the least interested in anything Sally had to say about Peter, but it didn't seem like it was going to matter, "Look Sally, I..."

"Don't interrupt. I've got to tell you what I've found out. I might be saving you from a terrible mistake."

"Sally, listen..."

"Sit down Laurie, all I need is about ten minutes; ten minutes that could save your life."

Sally, my..."

"Why don't you make us some coffee, while I get out these papers."

Laurie, knew she probably had no choice, got up to make coffee. She'd listen to what Sally had to say, thank her, and then send her on her way.

While Laurie was in the kitchen perking the coffee Sally opened a small portfolio and laid out a sheath papers, "Coffee ready yet honey?"

Laurie came with a tray, two cups, a bowl of sugar cubes, and a half pint carton of skim milk.

Sally looked at the tray, "No half and half? Oh never mind. Come here and sit down."

Laurie sat down on the love seat beside Sally.

Look at what we've uncovered about your boyfriend. Look here." She held up a small packet of papers, "This is about his father. Look, he has a criminal record. See what it says, attempted homicide."

Laurie looked at the file, at the picture of a man who presumably was Peter's father, and at a record sheet like the ones used to identify a person's criminal record.

"See look, his father attacked another man."

Laurie wasn't impressed. Sure she was disturbed somebody almost got killed by a man she never knew, but she didn't see where that had anything to do with Peter.

Sally held up another small stack of papers, "Look at these. The whole family was on welfare for years. Welfare Laurie, that's welfare, like you know, lazy poor people."

Laurie skimmed through the welfare paperwork. She wondered where and how Sally had gotten this information. She saw the paperwork named Peter, his mother, and a sister, but the father wasn't named, "Where's the father?"

"He was in prison silly. Look Peter's father spent six years in jail for attempted murder, and the whole time he and his family were on the dole."

"Well that sort of makes sense doesn't it Sally. I mean..."

"What do you mean it makes sense? Look it. Peter's mom had a job."

Laurie looked closer. It showed Peter's mom did have a job the whole time they were getting relief checks, "What did she do I wonder?"

"We, I mean I found out, she worked at a Wal-Mart. Look she worked like almost full time, see thirty-four hours a week. She was a cashier, a cashier! Your boyfriend's mother operated a cash register!"

"So..."

"So, don't you see? These people are totally unsuitable. They're not like us. They're like welfare cheats, and they're like poor."

Laurie didn't like any of the things Sally was showing her; not because it showed Peter came from a poor family, that his mother had been a part time worker at a store, or that his father might have had a record, but because Sally might think it would make a difference.

Laurie finally mustered enough courage to stand up to her sister-in-law, sort of, "Look Sally, can I maybe hold on to this stuff. I'd like to look it over by myself, when I'm alone."

Sally shoved everything on top of the leather portfolio, "Sure, but don't take too long. This guy's a loser. This proves it."

Laurie had heard enough, "Look Sally, why don't you leave now. I need a break."

Sally figured she'd hit a home run. Laurie had seen everything, and would probably break it off. She just needed time to think. She leaned over and gave Laurie a peck on the cheek, "Sure sweetie. I'll leave now. Sorry I had to bring such bad news, but I did it only because I love you." She got up, and let Laurie walked her to the door.

Laurie walked back over and leafed through papers again. They didn't mean anything to her, except she remembered she'd lied to Peter that her mom had been a maid. That might have helped Peter relate to her when she said what she said, but it might make things worse. Her mom was a classic high maintenance wasp bitch, nothing like the person she'd portrayed her as being. If Peter found out the truth it might hurt their relationship.

She wished now more than ever she'd been more forthcoming with Peter from the start. She didn't think so, but Peter might get the wrong impression if he found out the truth from anyone but her.

She stacked the papers up on top of the portfolio and dropped them on the end table beside the loveseat. Trash day was Friday. She'd throw them out and forget it. She only knew one thing for sure. She had to tell Peter the truth. She'd tell him Thursday night right after the show.

She wasn't hungry anymore or anything, she went back to the loveseat, turned on the television, and waited for Peter's nightly call.

Wednesday after work Laurie went straight to the boutique she used to use when she relied on her parents money. She had a hunch the Thursday night at the theater date was going to be more than just another date. For one thing Peter was a hamburger and beer kind of guy; the theater was wine and caviar. The other thing was Thursday night would be truth night.

She wanted to make everything perfect. Sure the clothier was expensive, way over her pay grade, but she had money from before; she had a trust fund, and she had a nice savings account her parents still kept well stocked even though she fought to be free and on her own. This Thursday might be it; the great night of nights. She wanted to look her best. She loved this man.

She checked rack after rack. The owner of the shop, a woman who'd known her personally for years finally took her in hand. Together they put together an outfit; a black form fitting dress, plunging neckline, thin straps, wide black cloth belt, and A-line skirt that came just above the knee. To the dress they added a pair of black three inch high heels, a black clutch purse, a string of pearls, and black nylons. Once she tried everything on they both were wowed. She looked every bit the grown up woman of the world she wanted to portray. This was the look she wanted to convey; the look she was convinced would reel in her man. She wanted him to see her as more than just his sweet little Laurie, but as a woman he could be really proud of, a real lifetime partner.

She took Friday off.That Thursday afternoon found her at the beauty shop having her hair washed and combed into what she thought was a terrific looking bun with a perky little trailing tail and several errant fronds around her face.She was lucky she was able to talk her old beautician into fixing her on a holiday.

Just an hour or so before Peter was set to arrive she placed herself very neatly on her love seat and took a nap; careful not to damage her hair or the dress. All that was left a little make up, and she decided to wait till Peter arrived before she did that.

With not much else to do she grabbed the morning paper. She'd already read all the parts that interested her, but thought maybe she'd check her horoscope. She ruffled around the paper, found it and read it. Nothing much, they never really said anything anyway. She dumped the old paper on the end table atop the junk Sally had given her.

Oh, there is was, the bell! She got up went to the door. Peering through the peep hole she saw it was Peter.

++++++++++++

Peter read and reread the sheathed information Max had left him. All week, though he called Laurie every day and pretended nothing was wrong, he stewed about what he read. He'd convinced himself the whole thing outside the Wal-Mart had been a silly coincidence, but just the same he'd traveled the main roads from her work to her apartment and found two Wal-Marts and a Super K-Mart that were closer to where she lived. Then there was something else. When he'd rescued her, or thought he had she'd had a shopping cart filled with cheap frozen dinners. Though it still didn't prove anything, he realized that was only time he'd seen her buy that kind of stuff. The one and only time he'd seen her buy anything even approaching the frozen foods she'd bought was the night of her assault. That didn't make sense.

There were other things that troubled him too. Yes, she lived in a small apartment, and yes she drove a late model car, but nothing she wore was what he would call off the rack at Wal-Mart. Her clothing was good quality, and she seemed to have a pretty good assortment too.

He thought he'd figured her out. She really was a hard working young woman, living on her own, trying to assert her freedom and independence, yet she still clung to some of the side advantages of wealth, like nice clothes. There was nothing wrong with that, in fact he should feel proud.

All the rest, the brother, the father, their business dealings, had nothing to do with her or him. She was the genuine article in spite of what Max had shown him. He'd been around for weeks; he knew her. She really was the pretty, sweet, sincere, maybe a little introverted girl he believed her to be. She was who he wanted, and he was going ahead with his plan. Thursday night was the night he'd make the big step. She was for him. He just couldn't imagine life with any one else. He didn't care if she turned out to be Osama Bid Laden's daughter.

Thursday Night

Peter cleaned up extra good before going to Laurie's. He'd bought new wing tips, and though they were killing his feet, he was sure she'd like them. His suit was pressed. He'd bought a new tie, had on a white shirt, new belt, the works! He'd even gotten a haircut that afternoon. He had on her favorite after shave, Old Spice. He stopped on the way over and picked up a spray of flowers; this time from the real florist shop. They looked nice.

With flowers in one hand, the ring tucked under his left he marched up the steps to her apartment. What did Max know? Laurie, she was the real McCoy. He knocked on the door.

Laurie opened it, "Hi come on in." She stepped back so he could enter.

He got an eye full as he walked in. She was absolutely beautiful. It occurred to him; girls like her don't come along very often.

She gave him a winsome smile, "More flowers! Peter you shouldn't have."

He smiled and stuttered something about beautiful girls and beautiful flowers.

Laurie blushed, "Take a seat." She said, "I'll be just a second. I need to freshen my make up." She slipped back, first to the kitchen for a vase and water, second to the bathroom.

Peter looked around and saw the newspaper. He'd been so busy he hadn't had a chance to check the sports or read the editorials. He plopped down on the loveseat and reached over for the paper. As he reached a folder or something fell on the floor. He picked it up to put it back. He noticed something strange on the top page, his name.

He opened the packet of papers. There were pictures; his mother, sister, father, him. There were articles, old newspaper articles, clips of W2 forms that were years old and from his parents.

Laurie called out from the bathroom, "I'll be just a minute."

Peter called back, "Take your time." He kept looking. The deeper he looked the more upset he became. She had the better part of his family's history; the part that had all the worst stuff. Where did she get this? This was awful. What was she doing with his family background?

Laurie called out, "Just a second."

Peter looked even further. He realized what he had here was a full-fledged investigation report; actually more a scathing indictment. What was she doing with this?

Another shout from Laurie, "Be right there."

He'd seen enough. She or somebody had had him investigated. Why? He knew why. All the worst things Max had inferred came zooming to the front of his mind. She was everything his friend had sort of suggested. She was a part of a hoax, a big scam, a plan to trip him up, to get the last of what he had. She was every bit the conniving whore he'd refused to believe. Oh no! This was the worst!

He couldn't sit there another minute, not another second. He threw the package on the table. Forgetting the jewelry packet he fled.

Through her door, down the steps, out to the car he'd rented, and off. He drove off as fast as he could. By the time he'd reached the car he was crying like a baby.

How could this be happening? She had been so good, so sweet, so perfect. Perfect! There's no such thing as perfect when it came to women. They were all whores! This was it! Never again!

Laurie came out from the bathroom, "Ta DA!" She looked around. Where was Peter? "Peter?" She checked the kitchen, her bedroom, nowhere. Where did Peter go? She got scared, frantic! She glanced over at the end table, the papers. Oh no! The papers! Sally's papers! Peter! No! He must have seen them.

Laurie ran out of her apartment door and to the top of steps. She saw a brand new silver Mercury pulling away. Oh no It was Peter! It had to be him! What was she going to do?

She ran back inside, and grabbed her cell. She hit his number. It rang, and rang, and rang. He wasn't answering. Oh no, this was awful, terrible!

Sitting on the loveseat she was completely at a loss. What should she do? This was such a terrible mistake! She glanced over at the end table. There was a box on the floor. She leaned down and reached over. She looked at the container; only the most expensive jeweler in the city! She opened the tiny lid. There it was! All her hopes, her dreams, everything she ever wanted was there in her hands, and it was all like nothing, it was all turning to dust.

Laurie burst into tears, unquenchable, unrestrained, irrepressible tears. They burst out with the force of a Niagara Falls.

Finally, after years of nothing, the right guy, the perfect guy, had come along, and now this. What was she going to do? She ran to her bedroom, threw herself on the bed, and cried all night long.

+++++++++++++++

This is the end of part one. If you have any comments or thoughts so far please share them. Thank you