Love, Life, and Death at The Grange

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The three continued to glance around and listen for the slightest reaction, but none came.

Tracy shrugged.

"I think we've had a long enough day for today. Thanks for a great first day, ladies, but I think my bed is calling me."

"I agree. Thanks for the nibbles down the pub. It was a fun way to end the busy day. Goodnight."

"Absolutely, I agree, thanks. Goodnight."

"Thanks, both of you, but..."

The two women halted in their return to their rooms and turned to look at Tracy.

"Mum's the word about Molly, as I don't think Debbie encourages ghostly discussions."

Gracie and Penny nodded, not wanting to bring any rationale to unexplainable knocks on the attic timbers. They both turned and scurried into their rooms. Left alone, Tracy turned, opened her door and stepped across the threshold. Rather than closing it tightly behind her, she left it open a shade longer than needed. She imagined Molly joining her as she felt a cold breeze pass her, bringing with it a faint hint of lavender.

With the curtains open, the moon shone in to illuminate her room enough for her to strip off, hang her clothes on the chair and slip into bed. Sitting up, she removed her makeup and dropped the cotton pads into the little bin under her bedside table.

Before she settled down, feeling the mild effects of the drink, her eyes searched the room. She felt a little disappointed not to find an apparition seated at the end of the bed. She waited for a short while, then slipped down between the sheets.

Lying tucked up in her bed, in a light stupor, she mulled over her disappointment that no one stood out as a candidate of being a prospective friend or lover. She was used to having a whole body of troops around her that were family and comrades in arms, maintaining her concerns that civilian life may not provide the same closeness.

Tracy drifted off to in a swirling soup of thoughts and confusion. Concerned she was going for a drunken helicopter flight that would empty her stomach, she sat up in bed. The room was now dark and extremely cold, causing her to shiver.

She was no longer naked but wearing several layers of clothing around her, and her hands felt a heavy coat on her bed, which couldn't be hers. Rather than her double bed, it was a narrow iron bed, and the mattress felt like a straw stuffed inside a sack.

The room now smelled heavily of lavender. Hearing rustling on her right, she turned to see the dark shadow of a person next to her strike a match and light a candle, silhouetting her. The stranger held the candle out in front of them both, which now illuminate a bright, white, rounded face smiling at her.

"This is Elisabeth."

A voice inside her told her. The same voice she heard the previous night, that she now knew to be Molly.

"Get up, we have to be quick or we'll be late, or worse, cold."

Elizabeth gave her a hug and jumped out of bed. In the candlelight, Tracy could see coats spread open over the bed.

"It's freezing cold in winter at night, so we huddle up under both our coats. Hurry, we mustn't be late."

The memory of the previous night's dream returned to Tracy, with the reality that for Molly sharing her bed was also familiar but possibly hers was more permanent judging from the coats, probably lasting all winter long.

It shocked Tracy to see Elizabeth drop to squat over an enamel bowl, her hand pulling her night shirt up, displaying a bushy darkness between her legs as she urinated into the bowl. The room was one larger room without a separating wall or an en-suit bathroom. The enlarged room had a second empty narrow iron bed. There was a tiny, empty fireplace. The cold bit into Tracy and her body moved out of bed, squatting over the now vacant enamel bowl to relieve itself.

Tracy wasn't in control of the body she occupied; She quickly deduced that she was looking through Molly's eyes, although she could feel the intense cold. Her feet were like blocks of ice. She slid the now full enamel bowl back under her bed to sit and rub some feeling back into her feet.

Tracy felt Molly fast forward her morning routine, showing her the two women pulling on their stockings, brushing each other's hair, tying their underwear, pulling on their maid's outfits and checking each other for any blemish the head butler could admonish and fine them.

Her fast-forwarding memory slowed back to normal speed as she snuck into one of the second-floor bedrooms and embraced the warmer room. The dark room contained a curtain covered four-poster bed, and she headed for the cold fireplace.

Tracy saw how she had to clean the ashes and grate, in silence, to avoid waking whoever was behind the curtains asleep. She had to place the paper, kindling, and coals, piece by piece, to keep any noise to a minimum. She looked to the door as it creaked open and a scornful butler entered, with a lit long wick.

He lit the fire, glanced disapprovingly at Molly and left, without a bye or leave. Molly tended the fire as if her life depended on it. As the fire caught and strengthened, she placed a mesh guard around it. She took a dustpan and brush to sweep the rugs and carpet around the fireplace.

Tracy could feel Molly's sore knees as she swept the carpet. The room was enormous and it would take her ages to clean it. She felt the pang of hunger in Molly's stomach, knowing breakfast wouldn't be available to her for a while.

Molly fast-forwarded her endless sweeping of the room's carpet, keeping one eye on the fire, ensuring the coal caught and the room would warm. She heard the stirring behind the curtain and an older maid entered, dressed more like a hospital matron, and shooed Molly out of the room.

Molly's memories sped forward again, to show her climbing down a different set of stairs that Tracy used in the Grange, to end up in a dark, dank kitchen. Tracy could smell the cooking bacon and eggs, with the sideboard full of still-warm baked bread.

Other household staff stood behind chairs around a central, long table, all looking scornful at the latecomers. No one sat until the butler, who had brought the fire lighter to Molly, sat at the head of the table. Food started at the head of the table and butlers, who passed plates down through other staff until they reached the younger maids, sat at the end.

By the time the plates had arrived at Molly and Elizabeth, only fatty bacon and thin slices of bread remained. The butter and jam dishes were almost bare. The girls made quick work of any food leftover before the butler at the head of the table rose to leave, causing everyone else at the table to stand and return to their duties.

Molly fast-forwarded Tracy through more empty rooms, dusting and sweeping each one ahead of anyone arriving to put the room to use. Tracy noticed that Molly's room had been devoid of mirrors. However, at every mirror she dusted and polished, Molly took full advantage of preening herself.

Her reflection looking back at Tracy from the mirror confirmed her pale looks. She had a small roundish face, with a girlish button nose, framed by tight blond locks, showing Tracy the reason for the cloth binding she'd seen in her hair when she'd entered her room the previous night.

Her light blue eyes, with a hint of grey, stared through her own image as if she knew Tracy was watching through her eyes and she gave a coquettish smile. She repeated this in more than one mirror, leaving Tracy positive that Molly knew she was in her head.

After the third or fourth room, she caught up with Elizabeth and the two pranced around the large bedroom, pretending to be gentry. Toasting empty crystal glasses at each other and waltzing around together, until pausing, gazing into each other's eyes.

Before Tracy knew it, the innocent maid before her, leaned in and kissed Molly, who responded. Both women embraced, sharing tongues and hands, exploring each other. When they broke, Elizabeth gleefully lead Molly to the fourposter bed, and lifted her like a newlywed, to throw her down onto the softly sprung mattress.

Molly ensured her legs dangled over the edge of the large bed, as Elizabeth crawled up between them to lie on top of her, showering her in kisses. The two ground their hips together, whilst Molly's hands gripped Elizabeth's backside through her dress as they embraced deeply again. Elizabeth pulled free, kissing and whispering to Molly, promising her the world, as any new husband would his wife.

Just as Tracy felt Molly's excitement rise, the memory fast forwarded, show her them smoothing the bed, ensuring no trace of their enactment. Soon the fast-forwarded memories faded out, leaving Tracy to sleep. Once again, Tracy's body clock woke her in the morning; although this time she led in bed for a while, thinking over the dream sequences Molly had shown her. Unlike other dreams, these remained imprinted with a clarity that scared her a little.

Tracy enjoyed her jog, thinking through what Molly had shown her and the clarity of her face in the mirror. She made a note to ask Julie before breakfast. Whilst she enjoyed running along the narrow lanes bordered with little wildflowers on either side, she wanted to explore the Grange's Estate and made it part of her plan that day.

There was a chill in the morning air and a little mist, hinting at a warmer day to come. On her return as she ran beneath the little gatehouse, wondering who lived there. Feeling a little more at home, she did a lap around the lawn, noticing a few of the trades' people eyeing her from their white vans, as they drank from their flasks before starting work.

Coming back around the large lawn to the gatehouse from the side, she noticed it had a nice little gravel patio with Parisian style chairs and a table that would catch the late evening sun just right. It also had a few narrow flower borders filled with a multitude of coloured flowers to reflect the window boxes.

Standing beneath the entrance portico, she bent and stretched, warming down, and looking forward to trying to catch Julie. This time, the hallway was empty as she entered, and she made her way to the cafeteria. Tracy saw Julie busying herself in the kitchen beyond the low kiosk. She made her way into the kitchen.

"Morning, Julie."

Julie turned and smiled.

"Enjoy your run?"

Tracy nodded, realising that her T-shirt was bathed in sweat despite the chill.

"Yes, thanks... Er, I hope you don't mind talking about Molly?"

"Oh, no, has she been playing up?"

"Far from it. She's tidied my room twice now."

"Wow, she does like you."

"Has anyone... Ever mentioned... Dreams, of..."

Julie gasped and looked into the main cafeteria, to be sure Debbie hadn't entered.

"Not in recent years, that I know of. What kind of dreams?"

Tracy outlined the insight into Molly's life she'd seen last night. Julie listened, and leaned back on her cooker, drying her already dry hands absentmindedly in a tea towel.

"I've never heard of anyone ever having that long an experience, although."

"Don't tell me. I know; Marie will be able to tell me when she returns?"

The two women giggled, with Julie nodding at Tracy.

"Cup of tea?"

"Please."

Julie poured two mugs of tea, added milk and offered Tracy sugar, who declined. They walked through to the tables and sat at one by a window. Tracy told Julie about Molly taking Gracie's and Penny's socks and pens.

"Now that's more like the Molly I Know."

They continued to chat about more mundane things, including Tracy's day yesterday.

"I'm sorry. We worked late and missed dinner, but we made up for it by going up to the pub."

"I heard. Well, it'll be left over's for everyone today, I'm afraid. I've a nice curry in mind to use it all up."

Julie smiled, apologetically.

"I should have popped in and invited you along."

"No, by the time you'd finished, I was already making my way home."

Debbie entered, and Julie went to pour her a mug of tea.

"Another early morning run?"

"Every day if I can. I find it a great way to start the day. They instilled the habit on me throughout basic training and now I can't survive without one."

"Hats off to you. So can we expect another full-on day today?"

"I hope so. I plan on doing an inventory of all the kit we're going to be using."

"Any equipment within the college would have been checked already and documented."

"I'd like to hope that it is, but possibly not to my standards. I can't condone anyone using kit that I would refuse to use. There may not be any problems with any of it, but I want to be sure."

Debbie opened her mouth to dispute Tracy's opinion but decided against it at this stage. Tracy hoped they wouldn't need to lock horns on such trivia when it came to safety.

"I also want to survey the grounds, so we can achieve as many activities without bussing groups around the area, keeping the budgets tighter and possibly giving us room to move expenditure into other areas. I hadn't realised the grounds were this extensive and we can do some of the initial training closer to home. So, do you have any maps, especially ordnance survey maps of the area?"

"I like that idea. We have some ordnance survey maps in the library; I'll dig them out for you. Previously, we've relied on external outdoor pursuit companies, which was why we brought you on board, so I like any idea to reduce costs."

"I'm not talking about reducing costs, just re-allocating budget, moving them from one column to another. So we could offer something more spectacular later in the summer, depending on the size of savings and performance of the students."

Once again, Debbie opened her mouth to comment, but closed it again. This empowered Tracy, knowing that it left the door open for her to negotiate further at a later date, but first she had to prove herself and her ideas.

Julie returned only to give Debbie her tea before disappearing back into her kitchen. Taking her drink, Debbie rose and promised to see Tracy later. Tracy finished her mug of tea and followed Debbie out to return to her room.

Despite wearing running trainers that made little noise as Tracy bounced up the last of the stairs, Penny the Brunette was waiting for her.

"Hi, I thought I heard you."

Penny pirouetted on one leg, with one hand on the top banister, her one leg cocked coyly behind her.

"Hi."

Tracy took in Penny's posture and her loose bathrobe, which barely hid her cleavage. It took little imagination to realise she was flirting.

"You have a knack for dealing with the dead, and I'm sure you can perform far better with the living?"

Tracy looked at her, unsure at the connection, but could feel her own sweaty T-shirt was clinging to her and her sports bra. In bounding up the staircase, her shorts had ridden up her thighs and could feel them tightly bunched up between her legs, showing Penny an inevitable camel toe.

Seeing Penny's eyes roam hungrily over her, she felt her nipples harden, knowing she was exciting another woman. But Penny didn't attract her, despite the flag of opportunity waving at her, with her ample boobs, loosely flopping inside the towelling robe.

Penny then dialled up the pressure by holding her hand out to invite her into her room, as if it would explain everything. Tracy stepped back towards her own door, not wanting to enter the spider's lair just yet. Penny's expression didn't change, but her hand flopped to her side in mild frustration.

"Molly." She exclaimed as an explanation. "I woke up this morning to find my pen on my bedside table, no odd socks, and my room tidied up."

"See, I told you it would work. You just have to be nice to her."

"So, what's the story behind this Molly?"

"You know about as much as I do."

Tracy didn't want to tell her about seeing Molly, nor her dreams, as they seem to be something more personal Molly wanted to share with her for whatever reason.

"You sure you don't want to come in to see how she's tidied up?"

"Ah, no, I really need to get cleaned up before breakfast, thanks."

Tracy picked her sweaty T-shirt off her body to underline her statement, but it only seemed to excite Penny more.

"Sorry."

Tracy retreated into her room as fast as she could; trying not to make it too obvious that she was avoiding Penny's advances. Closing the door behind her, she heard a giggle coming from a dark corner of her room by her bed.

"It's not funny Molly."

A single light knock came from her bedside table, causing Tracy to smile and wag her finger to where she assumed Molly was lying on her bed. She had to stifle a giggle herself as she undressed.

"No need to tidy those, Molly. I'll wash those through later, thanks."

Skipping into the bathroom in just her panties, she felt an icy hand slap her one cheek and another giggle.

"Molly." She admonished and ducked into the shower.

Showered and changed. Ready for the day ahead, Tracy trotted back down the stairs to the cafeteria. Everyone was already there and greeted her as she entered. Tim appeared by her shoulder as she picked through the buffet for her breakfast.

"Maybe I should apply for your team if you're going to treat them every night."

"Nothing was stopping you from coming out and enjoying your share of the fare. You'd have been welcome too, but it won't happen every night."

"Shame, a few free beers and food would attract me out of the classroom, especially with such an attractive boss."

Tracy tried her best not to cringe and headed for an empty table, thankfully by the window. She couldn't work out why everyone crowded the central tables, rather than the ones with a view. Once sat down, Debbie appeared to drop some maps on the table.

"Sorry, not one overall map, but these large-scale maps overlap the grounds and should give you a good springboard to explore."

Tracy thanked her and was a little relieved when Debbie headed to chat with the academics. As she buttered some toast, a scraping chair caused her to look up and see the blond-haired Gracie politely ask if she could join her. Once sat, Gracie double checked where Debbie was and in a lowered voice spoke.

"I have to say, your chat with Molly last night worked wonders. I found my room tidied this morning."

"There you go. It's easy being nice to fresh air."

Gracie giggled and her fingers of one hand mindlessly twirl her blond straight hair as she continued.

"I have to admit. Once you've overcome how silly it seems, I enjoy chatting to Molly alone in my room. I don't know if she can hear me, but it feels nice."

Tracy examined Gracie's features, intrigued that the blond woman now interested her, despite not flirting with her. Despite feeling a little blond moment, her Roman nose, lack of dimples and lack-lustre eyes disappointed her.

Tracy's mind drifted to Molly's face that looked back at her from the mirrors in her dream. There was something innocent and attractive about her. Her light blue, almost grey eyes, coupled with her wry smile, just invited you to dive into them.

"Tracy? Am I boring you?"

"Oh... Er, sorry Gracie, no, honestly, you weren't."

"Your eyes glazed over, and you looked as if you were a million miles away."

Tracy blushed, trying to scrub Molly's image from her mind.

"Sorry, I drifted off a bit there. I didn't mean to be rude. I'm pondering a minor problem I have."

She didn't want to explain that she seemed to be now finding blonds suddenly attractive. Well, not just any blond, only one in particular, who was flirting with her across the centuries.

"Well, I'm all ears. You know a problem shared is a problem halved."

To be fair to Gracie, she was being sweetly honest, not a hint of the flirtatiousness Penny had that morning. Tracy blushed a little at Gracie's polite offer and tried to dig her way out of the little hole she had dug.

"That's really kind of you, but it's not really a bad problem, just something leftover from leaving the military."