Love, Life, and Death at The Grange

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She jogged, trying to listen for anything that would expose Marie's location. Now inside the woods, there was very little ambient light from the moon, so there was nothing for Tracy to follow except for the path. She sped back up, hoping to catch Marie.

After what seemed like an age, she heard a crash in the undergrowth to her left. She stopped, and she heard Marie's voice cursing Molly.

"Marie? Where are you?"

Tracy headed toward Marie's voice, guessing they were somewhere near the well.

"Fuck off. You've broken my heart. Leave me alone."

"What? I've not done anything."

She heard a sob, and Tracy trod carefully through the undergrowth, guessing she was close. Then she saw a dark shape in the trees and made her way through to find Marie sitting on a fallen log, near the well.

"Marie, what's this all about? I know we've not seen each other very much, as it's all been mad, but I do not know what you're talking about. What am I supposed to have done?"

"Traded me in for a younger model."

"Whaat?"

"I've been envious for weeks, seeing how close you and Avalie have gotten, but tonight I heard about you in the library with her."

"Whaat?"

"Francesca caught you kissing in the library when I was in Oxford. All the students know."

"We weren't kissing. She hugged me."

"Oh, that's okay then. So long as you weren't kissing."

"Don't be sarcastic."

"Why not? When my lover is getting hugs from a younger woman. A woman she's shared tents and goodness knows what with."

"No, let me explain, Marie. It isn't anything like that."

Tracy squeezed down to sit on the log with Marie, putting her arm around her, for Marie to shrug and flick it off with her hand.

"So explain, and it better be good. I've heard how well you two work together, how you've had secret meetings together."

"Oh Marie, people have added two and two and got ten. Please, listen to me."

Marie sobbed, clasping her hands, wringing them together.

"We were researching the records in the library... This is hard for me to say, but we discovered Elizabeth married Mathew, the groom."

"Oh, a noble reason to hug and sleep with another woman."

"Oh, hush and let me finish. Elizabeth Smith, when married, became Elizabeth Blackwood."

Marie gasped. Having read Tracy's CV, she knew her surname.

"I got a little emotional. The connection between us mirrors the connection between Molly and Elizabeth. It's no wonder why I feel so settled here, with you. I struggled to take it all in and Avalie gave me a friendly hug that was all."

"But you never told me. Why not? Because you have feelings for her?"

"NO. My feelings are all for you. In fact she insisted I tell you but at that point it could have been just a coincidence. There are loads of Blackwoods in the phone book. It was only when we visited the vicar the next day when we saw the births and deaths."

"How did that link you to her?"

"My mum's been researching our family tree now my brother has a family of his own. So I rang her to find out. I gave them Elizabeth's details as she has paid for access to all the censuses, birth and death records with various online genealogy websites. She rang me to confirm. Elizabeth is my great grandmother, over six generations."

"Whaat?"

"Uh-huh."

"And yet you still didn't tell me?"

"I've been looking at what to do when all this madness is over, which is why Avalie and I have spent so much time together and met with people, including her father."

"You're going to work with her in London?"

"No. I think I've found a much better solution for our future."

"Oh?"

"If you want me to stay on in your life?"

"And there is nothing between you and Avalie?"

"No, well, except she's asked me to tell you two things."

"Oh?"

"The first is to confirm that I love you. I think I have since that first day we met. I just didn't want to scare you, but I just have never found the time or the words. You're much better at sharing your emotions than I."

Marie smiled in the darkness, and her arm reached around Tracy, pulling her in for a hug. A moonbeam came through the trees, illuminating the well, Marie and Tracy. Tracy could have sworn she saw Molly's dark shape watching them, from the dark edges of the woods.

"The second is this... Did you know what Afshin's main line of business is?"

"No, should I?"

"No, but it's why Avalie and I have spent so much time together, other than the activities. Afshin's principal business is publication, of books, newspapers and online media amongst other things. It is that avenue that Avalie's talents lie as well."

Marie brushed her hair away from her face and looked at Tracy, unsure of the connection.

"Avalie and Afshin love the story of Molly, Thomas and the Grange. They want me to write a book about it. With Avalie's help, I wrote a synopsis, and sent it to their editors. We already have a working title,

'Love, Life, and Death at the Grange'. That's who we've been meeting. They love it. Afshin sees great potential for the story and is already planning to serialise it online."

"But Debbie will block it. We know her views on it."

"Afshin and the consortium have already overruled her. The interest by the students in the story and the ghost walks has proven there is a market out there, with positive feedback. They see it as free marketing for the college as well."

"So one book? How long will that keep you here?"

"Well, that's the thing. Molly has given me enough material for several period drama-style books. I've also met with a few ex-military authors, as I've found it easy to create stories based on my experience that seem to captivate people. I've enough for a few more books, and I'm sure I can come up with more."

"So, you'll write while I work at the college?"

"Aha, well, yes, to begin with. Debbie's not shared this with you yet, but they want to keep me on as an activity consultant at the college. Sharing your workload and giving you more time and help with college trips and opening the college to the community."

"So, you're staying?"

"If you'll have me?"

Marie threw herself at Tracy, hugging her and showering her with salty wet kisses. Tracy smelled a little lavender and a pair of chilly hands joining Marie's on her.

"Come on lovely, you owe me a few dances."

Tracy laughed.

"I feel such a fool now."

"No, not at all. I'm the one at fault, as I should have told you sooner. I just wanted to be sure before I got your hopes up."

"So, you'll move permanently into the gatehouse with me?"

"Yes."

They stood up off the uncomfortable log to hug and kiss passionately. The two lovers walked back through the woods, arms around each other's waist, laughing. As they neared the pavilion lights, the pair had to brush bits of bark off each other's dresses, both enjoying a cheeky few squeezes on each other's bum.

After another long passionate kiss, they strode confidently back under the lights, holding hands, as the band struck up a slower song. Tracy and Marie turned to each other and joined other couples on the dance floor to dance together as lovers, heads bowed together, smiling and kissing. Staff around nodded and smiled at the sight, whilst students looked between Avalie, and the couple on the dance floor, and then scornfully at Francesca.