Love Match

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

****

Sabrina's quarterfinal opponent was a former player at Texas Tech, and she was very good. They were tied at five in the first set when Scott was called to his match, so he didn't get to watch the outcome of the set. His opponent was similarly accomplished, but a bit older - maybe 35 or so.

Scott was playing confidently but not too seriously, until he got his serve broken to bring the count to 4-4, and was looking at being down 4-5 if his opponent held. Then he got serious. He broke and held, to win the first set 6-4, and then cruised through the second 6-2.

He had seen Sabrina briefly watching from a distance during his second set, and she didn't look happy. He hoped she hadn't lost, but it was certainly possible against a quality opponent like the girl from Tech.

He turned the score and the balls in, and looked at Ken. "They split sets; go cheer her on."

Sarah was watching the match; he stood by her and she quietly said, "She lost the first 7-5, won the second by the same score, and they are tied at 4 in this one, with Sabrina serving. Big game, because she's had a hard time holding serve."

"What are the rules on coaching?" he asked.

"There are no rules, other than being polite; why?"

"If what I saw in the first set holds true, she needs to be serving at her opponent's left hip, either flat or using slice. She covers wide well, but doesn't like to be jammed on the backhand side."

"Well, it won't look good for the tournament director to say that, but if her boyfriend told her that through the windscreen on the other side..."

"Boyfriend? I wish! Sure, I'll do it; can I get there without walking all the way around?"

She showed him a way to cross between courts four & five. At fifteen-all, her opponent went back to pick up her towel, and Scott told Sabrina's back what he had told Sarah. She barely nodded, and then set up to serve standing a few inches closer to the T. Her slice serve was deep and about a foot inside the T; it bounced straight at her hip, and her opponent could only block it back with her backhand.

The return was high and slow; Sabrina's approach put her at the service line with the ball floating to her forehand side.

She paused, hit a swinging forehand down the line to her opponent's backhand, and came to net. The return was well hit but just far enough above the net for Sabrina to drop it softly on the other side. Her opponent didn't make the effort - she just clapped her hand against the racquet strings and said, "Nice point."

The next two serves accomplished the same result, and it was game point; Sabrina hit a hard flat serve right at the Red Raider, who barely fended it off from her body. The ball bounced into the net, and now a service break would win the set and match.

They took sips of water, and switched sides. Bouncing on her toes with a look of determination on her pretty face, Sabrina took the wide serve to her forehand down the line for a winner ('What was that woman thinking' he asked himself. Sabrina's forehand is a weapon!).

The next serve was also wide, this time to her backhand, and her opponent came to net behind it; Sabrina threw up a defensive lob that the older woman had to chase back to the baseline. She threw up a short lob that Sabrina put away with an overhead down the line: 0-30.

The next serve was a good one, but Sabrina blocked it back deep enough to give herself time to reset for the return, which was deep to the middle of the court. Sabrina hit a massive inside-out forehand to her opponent's backhand; it flew into the fence. 40-love, match point.

The final point was anticlimactic; the first serve was in the net, the second too tight and far too soft to be hit to Sabrina's forehand. She crushed it at her opponent's feet, and followed it to net. Her opponent tried to pass her down the line, but Sabrina reached out to hit a cross-court one-handed backhand winner.

She stood there for a moment, shoulders slumped, before she straightened up, and moved to the center of the net to shake hands. Scott wandered back between the now-empty courts and back to the office. There were still a number of matches remaining to be played, but a tennis association officer was there to take over as director for the night, Sarah and Ken could go home to clean up and change clothes.

The Jones' house was not the one Scott had visited in the past, but Ken gave good directions to the new place. It was very nice, but he felt it lacked the character of the old German blockhouse they owned before.

Hugs were exchanged with Ken and Sarah's spouses, and with their hosts, Anita and Roy. Sabrina entered at that moment, and it seemed natural to hug her too - although her hug begat a very different reaction from his body.

The meal was "Mexican Pile On", with the dishes and condiments spread across the stove and kitchen counters. Cheese enchiladas, crispy beef or chicken tacos, beans, rice, tortillas, and large bowls of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados, with tea or water to drink. They insisted Ken and Sarah go first, so he followed her.

The plates were platters and he was hungry. Without thinking, he piled the fragrant food on his plate, only to be embarrassed by the harassment and cries of 'save us something!'

He took a seat across from Sabrina on one side of the ten-person table; Ken and Melissa sat beside him, Sarah and husband Cody beside Sabrina, and their hosts sat on the ends. It was an excellent meal with convivial conversation, and Scott couldn't remember the last time he was this content. He actually felt happy!

They adjourned to the man-cave/den, with its 72" TV mounted on the wall, and moved chairs and sofas around to create a conversation pit. 'Papa Roy' offered them a beer out of his den refrigerator. It was filled with light or regular domestic beers, and everyone took one - and later a second and third.

Scott did his best to keep the focus of the conversation on his friends' families, and was able to catch up on much that had transpired since the advent of Coronavirus in 2020. When asked by Roy, Sabrina chimed in about her senior year and graduation ceremony, but Scott remained quiet until Anita asked him directly.

"What about you, Scott? What have you been doing since the last time we saw you, during spring break in 2020?"

With a smile etched on his face, Scott answered, "Spent the rest of 2020 fall finishing school. We didn't have much of a graduation ceremony in December, which was fine with me because I already had a job lined up in Austin.

"I moved down to ATX before Christmas, which I spent with my parents, and then went back and got settled in. Started work from home on January 3, and since then I've pretty much worked, worked out, and played tennis!"

"What about your social life?" Anita asked with obvious concern.

"I'm friendly with the people I play in leagues with, and with some of the people at the gym. We go out from time to time, but my job is demanding, so I'm mostly a home body.

"By the way, I live in a really nice apartment - anyone want to see some pictures?" he teased, trying to end his inquisition.

Everyone but Sabrina passed, but she took his phone and commented favorably on his apartment, the view of downtown Austin, and his black Lab. "What a beautiful dog! He's so big, but his coat just gleams! Where is he?"

"My parents are dog and house sitting this weekend. They will be there through Wednesday, and then they're going on their annual trip to Rockport. I could access the security system and you would be able to see them, but it might not be PG rated. They're old but not dead, if you know what I mean."

Sabrina blushed and handed his phone back, as if his naked parents would suddenly appear on the screen. Anita cried, "Old! Your parents are younger than we are, and we're young! Are they even in their mid-forties?"

"They could both play in 45s, but neither could play in 50s," he replied with a grin. "See! They are young!" Anita exclaimed.

Her kids began teasing that 45 isn't really that young, Mom, and Scott relaxed, knowing he had directed the conversation away from his personal life and the question he knew everyone at the table wanted to ask but he didn't want to answer.

They joked around for a few more minutes, and then Ken and Melissa declared they needed to go rescue the babysitter. Sarah and Cody said they needed to go rescue Cody's mom, and the four of them got up. Sabrina and Scott rose with them, and everyone began hugging and thanking the elder Jones for the fantastic meal.

Roy shook Scott's hand, gave him a quick hug, and warned, "Watch out for deer on the way out to Dad's."

He immediately spotted the look on Scott's face and asked, "You are staying at Dad's River Cabin, aren't you?" Everyone paused.

"Uh, I didn't want to impose, so I got a B&B."

"Oh, shit!" Roy said, and turned to his son. "Does Dad know he's here?" Ken shrugged, and Roy turned back to Scott.

"You better hope he doesn't find out you're here and not staying at the River Cabin! You know what he told you last time you were here!"

"That's been three years... I didn't know if it would still be available since I entered the tournament so late..."

"Maybe you got lucky and he let someone else stay there. I'll check tonight, but you check out and bring your stuff to the courts tomorrow - you are not paying for a room in our hometown, young man!"

Scott humbly agreed to do that, and slipped away with the others, who stopped at his Jeep. "Sorry, I should have taken care of you when I got your entry," Ken said. "It slipped my mind, to be honest, but he's right - Grampa is gonna kill us both if he finds out you're here and not staying with him. He's asked the last two years, but somehow didn't this year. I'll let you know, but bring your gear tomorrow - Mom and Dad will put you up, even if the cabin is taken.

"Of course, if you do get the cabin, we're having a drunk swimming party Sunday night after this is all over! The four of us need the relief, even if you don't, so don't plan to go home before Monday!"

As he drove back to the little B&B, Scott made excuses to himself for his omissions in answering Mrs. Jones' question. The omissions weren't small: his "destination wedding in the Caribbean in August 2020, and the memorial service for his wife a short seven months and ten days later. But that could be excused, he told himself; she asked what HE had been up to since the first week of March, 2020. She hadn't mentioned Amelia.

****

Sabrina was again bending over getting her bag out when Scott turned the corner. She was wearing a pale blue tennis skirt with matching undershorts and a white top, and her tennis shoes had light blue trim. He smiled. She might be tall and lanky, but she was a girlie girl, and he liked that.

They walked to the courts side by side, and stopped by the bulletin board to look at the draw for the semis. Darian was playing the number one seed, but neither knew their opponent, so they walked over to ask Sarah and Ken.

They learned Scott's opponent is a local boy currently playing for UTSA; Sabrina's is Barbara Benedict from Midland - Darian's brunette bombshell! Sabrina was not pleased - she hadn't even scouted her, and knew nothing about her game.

"All I can tell you is that her seeding information says she played for West Texas A&M, but it didn't provide anything more, like she played #1 or #8," Ken told her. "She was unseeded and made it past Ali, the number three seed, so she's pretty good."

The set of Sabrina's jawline said all that needed to be said about that, but she dryly stated, "Mom and Dad are coming to watch; I hope they don't see me get my butt kicked!"

Sarah said, "So are our parents, just in case you need more pressure, but you need to calm down and get focused. You have beaten some excellent college players, Sabrina! You've got this!"

"Thanks, Sis. I'll give it my best shot! Now, what court?"

"Court two. The other women's singles is on court one," Sarah replied sheepishly. "Perfect!" Sabrina replied with a head roll. "That should ensure the biggest possible crowd for my humiliation!"

"What about me? What court?" Scott asked.

"You'll be on two, as soon as their match ends."

"Cool! I'll get to watch you. Shall I keep my mouth shut this time or offer something if I see it?"

Sabrina turned grateful eyes to him. "Help me if you can, but don't make me think too much. I'm not smart enough to think and play!"

He rolled his eyes and shook his head: "You're gonna do great, Tiger!"

The singles semis started at eight; by 7:45, the bleachers for courts 1 and 2 were filled, and people were setting lawn chairs up. Sabrina's bravado was severely challenged as she took the court to warm up, and drew a bunch of well wishes.

She was obviously nervous during warmups, and it only got worse when the match got underway. Scott didn't offer coaching because she couldn't do anything right anyway, so he and her fans just clapped on the rare occasions when she did something well.

Darian was watching in glee, but from the bleachers beside court one - apparently, he was taking Scott's visual warning seriously.

When she moved to the north side of the courts after going down 0-5, Sabrina stood by the fence, obviously embarrassed and frustrated. Scott sauntered down the sidewalk behind her and hissed, "Settle the fuck down, Girl! You can still beat her, but you need to get your shit together right now and show her you can play! You have to win two sets to advance, and you can win the next two - but you need to make a statement in this game. So, again, get your shit together and play!"

He ambled on to the concession stand and bought a bottle of water, even though he had plenty in his bag, and wandered back - ignoring Darian the whole time.

He heard the cheering from the fans around court 2, and got there in time to hear Sabrina call the count before she served, "40-love." She then tossed the ball high and reached up on tiptoes to unleash a serve to the T that Benedict didn't even try to get to. Sabrina stroked the second ball to her opponent and stood at the baseline to receive.

The timid girl who stood there to open the match had morphed into an angry dragon. She slapped her thigh a few times with her left hand, and exhorted herself, "Come on!"

After taking his seat, Scott sat in awe as Sabrina played like Serena Williams! She hit every shot with pace, seemed to know exactly what to do with the ball, and did it. She ran Benedict all over the court, and put away every mistake she made. It was awesome to watch!

Twelve games later, Sabrina had a 7-5, 6-0 win and was on her way to the finals! She quickly shook her dazed opponent's hand, propped her racquet against the fence, opened the gate, and attacked Scott. "Thank you! You are the greatest coach in history! You knew just what to say! Thank you sooo much!"

He just stood and let her hug him for another minute, before her parents, the Jones, and a bunch of young men and women surrounded her. He dad finally got to Scott and excitedly asked, "What did you tell her!"

Scott shrugged and said, "I told her to get her shit together...?"

Roy had joined them and heard what Scott said. He and Doug broke out in rollicking laughter and couldn't quit! When their laughter died down, Doug proclaimed, "All that money I spent lessons and coaching, and all it took was..." and they laughed more.

Scott shrugged again, picked up his bag, and walked onto the court, where his opponent was waiting.

Young Terry was good, he was game, and he came to play for his home crowd! He hung in as long as he could, but by the sixth game of the set, the older, wiser, stronger, and more experienced player had begun to exploit every weakness and every mental error.

Scott won 6-3, 6-1, and a humbled Terry told him he was the best he'd ever played. Most of Sabrina's fans had stayed to watch the local boy, but they were quick to acknowledge the 'incredible match' they had the pleasure to watch.

Roy and Anita, Doug and Briana, and Sabrina congratulated Terry on his play, and then turned to Scott. "We were prepared to give you some heartfelt words of wisdom," Roy said in a serious voice, "but you had your shit together from the very start!"

That set off another round of laughter that included the two wives. Sabrina shook her head, hugged Scott's sweaty body, and told the others, "He said a lot more than that! Y'all leave me alone!"

She started to turn and move away as if angry, but Scott caught her arm, pulled her around to face him, and earnestly told her, "Sabrina, that was the greatest display of focus, concentration, and skill I've ever seen! Seriously! It took a few game, but you were magnificent from that point on!"

The look she gave him was hotter than the Texas sun, but she merely placed her forehead on his chin and quietly said, "Thank you. I owe you."

On the court next to them, Darian had overcome the number one seed 6-4, 6-2, setting up the finals Scott dreaded. Oh, he wasn't afraid of playing Darian - he was a much better player than he had been a when they played in 2019.

He WAS afraid he'd lose his cool and end up in jail, and then prison. Upon reflection, he wondered if it wouldn't be worth it.

The singles finals were set for 12:30, with the men's championship on court 1 and the women's on court 2. The temperature was already 95, and the hourly forecast for noon was 100, with an afternoon high of 106! Scott applauded himself for his demanding conditioning workouts, and plotted the demise of his... nemesis. As much as he didn't want to acknowledge it, that's what Darian had been.

Today, he vowed, that would change on the tennis court. He couldn't fix the other thing on the court, but he would extract his vengeance if given the chance!

Seventy minutes later, they picked up the balls and walked to their respective courts. Sabrina's opponent was a full-grown woman, about 5'11", 185 pounds, and she knocked the hell out of every ball, even in warmups. Sabrina looked intimidated.

At 6'2', 210ish, Darian was 4 inches and more than 30 pounds heavier than Scott. He smirked at his smaller opponent, knowing he could get inside his head anytime he wanted. Last time he had gotten personal about a girl they had both dated; this time he had a lot more ammunition, and he intended to fuck with Scott from start to finish, then laugh him down when he was humiliated.

Being a natural bully, Darian smashed everything back during the fifteen-minute warmup, giving Scott little chance to get in a groove, since most were out of bounds or hit right at him. When the announcement came to start the matches, Darian walked to the net and put his hands on it; he intended to start the intimidation and harassment right now!

Scott stopped at the service line, brusquely said, "Call it," and spun his racquet on the court. Darian won, took service, and Scott took the side he was on. They returned to their respective baselines without other words being spoken.

Darian crushed his first serve; Scott blocked it back deep and set up in the middle of the court. Darian smashed a top spin forehand to Scott's backhand side; he sliced it back to the deep middle of the court, and Darian ran around his backhand to hit a cross-court forehand with heavy top spin.

It was short, just beyond the service line, so Scott raced up, took it shoulder high, sent it down the line, and came to net. Darian smashed a backhand down the line; Scott attacked the ball, got position, and angled it across court for a winner.

Darian won the next point with a hard, well-placed serve, and the next with a rush to the net after pinning Scott beyond the baseline with a deep top spin forehand. He went on to hold serve at ad, but Scott held serve at love, and that's the way the first set went through the first eight games.

123456...9