Love of Autism Ch. 01

Story Info
Mourning loss of a loved one
7.1k words
4.63
19.8k
41

Part 1 of the 18 part series

Updated 04/17/2023
Created 12/30/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Welcome one and all to my second story, the sequel to "Is Love All or Nothing?" For those of you who have ready my previous story you know what to expect. To the readers giving me a chance for the first time, you can go back and read my first story or just start with this one as I will mostly explain the important things from my first story that will impact this one.

One thing does need to be noted for everyone. In my previous story the main character has Asperger's syndrome which is commonly known has high functioning autism. For this story I will just be calling it autism because more people can recognize that term over Asperger's and today they don't call it Asperger's either, just autism.

Of course I have to thank TIgersman for being my editor and the great work he does for me. That's enough from me. And now...the rest of the story.

*

"Can anyone solve this problem?" Mr. Jeffrey asked as the math problem showed up on the display in front of the classroom. He looked around and saw only blank stares or students looking away hoping he would not call on them. "This was part of your homework last night," he complained. "Did none of you do it?"

"I'm sending my answer up now Mr. Jeffrey," a student in the back responded after hitting send on his tablet. Mr. Jeffrey looked up at the display to see the student used all the proper procedures and got the answer right.

"Well done Scott," Mr. Jeffrey praised. "I'm glad to see someone pays attention in class and does their homework." A few seconds later the bell rang to end class. "Don't forget we have a test tomorrow and some of you already need to do better than others to not flunk or stay athletically eligible."

Everyone picked up their tablets and walked out of class, ignoring their teacher's warning just wanting the day to be done. Scott left the classroom and went to his locker to get his composition book for his last class of the day, English. He hated that class the most because he didn't understand why reading old stories and trying to analyze them mattered. It also didn't help his teacher, Miss Bird, used a seating chart and he was forced to sit next to Katie Paulson. She loved to pick on him, make fun of him, and do anything to ruin the end of his day. Scott got to his locker and unlocked it to get his composition book when someone steps next to his side by his locker.

"Are you going to be ok for your last class?"

"I'm sure I'll be able to make it Steve," Scott answered. "It's just another day in English sitting next to Katie."

"Most days yes, but today is not most days especially with where you are going to be tomorrow."

"I don't need a reminder about tomorrow," Scott said in a raised voice.

"I'm sorry," Steve apologized, "but that is the type of response I'm worried about."

Scott let out a sigh and tried to calm himself down. "You're right. You're just looking out for me."

"That is what best friends are for and you know I'm going to be there for you tomorrow along with Liz."

Scott looked over at Steve, a small smile formed on his face. "Sometimes I don't know what I would do without you and Liz these four years of high school."

"Probably stuffed in a few more lockers, but still the same awesome person you are."

"Thanks Steve, see you after class."

They bumped fists as Steve walked towards his next class and Scott walked to his English class. He walked into the classroom and took his seat. Not one minute later in walks Katie Paulson at 5'8, 130 pounds, tan skin, wavy brown hair, blue eyes, and a face most men would consider beautiful. Most guys would love to be sitting next to her in any class, but Scott wasn't one of them. He might have actually found her attractive if she wasn't always so mean to him.

"Hi Scott," Katie greeted as she walks towards her desk next to his.

"Hi Katie," he responded, hoping today she will lay off teasing him for once.

"What did you think of the chapter we had to read last night?"

"Boring and stupid."

"Maybe your mind just can't handle what the author is trying to say."

"I can handle it Katie," Scott retorted, "and all this chapter was the main character going to another party with a different class of people and yet seeing no difference between the two."

"What makes you think it was about that?"

"Because I read the chapter and compared it to what I read in a previous chapter," Scott said rolling his eyes. "Context is everything so sometimes you have to look at previous chapters."

"Well when Miss Bird asks what we thought the chapter was about, you should raise your hand and tell her your idea."

"I'll think about it."

"Just what I thought. You have no faith in your answer," Katie said.

The truth was Scott just wanted the day to end so he could get home and get ready for the viewing later that night. The news of his grandmother passing over the weekend came as quite the shock to the family and was especially hard on him because he was so close to her. When he was younger he would spend the night at his grandparents when his mom and dad wanted a date night and he was more than happy to spend time with them. They gave him a good amount of candy and played an assortment of card games with him. Even as he got older he still wanted to spend time with his grandparents, even missing chances to hang out with his friends.

The rest of the students filed into the classroom as the bell rings to begin class.

"So did everyone remember to read the assigned chapter of the Great Gatsby?" Miss Bird asked as soon as the last person took their seat. A few people answered yes while most of the class didn't answer. "For those that did read the assignment, what did you think of the chapter?"

"I thought it was interesting how Nick went from liking the parties at the beginning of the story to now not finding them as enjoyable," someone in the front of the class said.

"Does anyone have a reason why that might be the case?"

"Because he's getting older and like most adults as they get older they don't enjoy the party scene as much," Katie said proudly.

"That is definitely true. Does anyone else have any ideas?" Miss Bird looks around and sees most of the students trying to avoid eye contact with her until she meets Scott's eyes. "What about you Scott? What did you think of the chapter?"

'Great, now I have to share my thought,' Scott said to himself. "Honestly, I found it boring."

A few of students start laughing at Scott's answer.

"Why did you find it boring?" Miss Bird asked.

"To me, this chapter was more so a comparison between the two classes and the parties they have. While the rich have nice drinks compared to those not as well off, both groups of people aren't that different in the end. They party really for no reason other than to socialize but in the end they go back to their lives the next day. Only thing really new is what Jack said that Nick isn't finding the parties enjoyable anymore."

"Very good insight," Miss Bird responded, nodding her head in agreement. "Looks like someone has been paying attention to the context of the story instead of just reading the assignment."

Katie shot a dirty look towards Scott but he just ignored it. Today was not the day that he wanted there to be any drama at school. It was going to be a long night for him as is.

The rest of the time in class they talked more about the chapter before the bell finally rang to let everyone out of class. Scott got up out of his seat to leave when Miss Bird called after him. "Scott could I talk to you for a second?"

"What did you do this time?" Katie asked mocking him.

"Gave the right answer in the class," he shot back at her as he walked towards Miss Bird's desk. That answer didn't sit well with Katie as she left in an angry huff.

Scott approached Miss Bird's desk as she sat down. "Is this about me missing class tomorrow?"

"Yes actually. I was planning on giving a pop quiz tomorrow on tonight's reading but you won't be here for it obviously. Do you think you'll be ok to take it Sunday if I send it to you via your tablet?"

"I guess I would be," Scott answered. "I mean I have to take it at some point."

"Ok, I'll send it to your tablet around two in the afternoon."

"Sounds good."

"How are you doing with everything?"

"As good as I can be."

"Are you having any trouble focusing in your classes lately?"

Scott lets out a sigh before he starts talking again. "Look, I know everyone is concerned for me and wondering how my autism is effecting me with my grandma passing and the upcoming funeral, but being asked about it does nothing but make me more anxious and not feel treated...like a normal person."

"But your autism doesn't make you normal."

"My brain is just wired slightly differently so I think differently, have weirder taste buds and such. That doesn't mean I need to be checked up on by everyone like I can't handle this. It just makes me more frustrated which is the last thing I need right now."

"I'm sorry," Miss Bird apologized. "I didn't mean to make you upset."

Scott lets out another sigh. "I know and I'm sorry for coming off mean, but honestly I just need to process this in my own way without having to worry about everyone asking me how I'm doing. I'm eighteen and can handle this."

"Ok. Just know we are all here for you and like any other student, you can take a few more days off of school if you need."

"Thank you," Scott said, appreciating the kindness Miss Bird is showing him. "Sorry, but I got to get going. I'm sure my sister is wondering where I am."

"It's no problem."

With that Scott walked out of the classroom and into the hallway. He goes to his locker to see if there is anything he needs to bring home since he will not be in school the next day. Once he figured out he had everything he closed his locker and navigated the hallway until he reached the doors to the parking lot. Once outside he went straight towards his car with his little sister, Sarah, waiting for him by the passenger door.

"What took you so long?" Sarah complained.

"Miss Bird wanted to tell me that she is here to support me and what I'm going to be missing in class tomorrow."

"Why aren't you going to be in class?" Katie asked as she was approaching Scott.

"None of your business Katie," Scott said harshly.

"Wow, rude."

"Like you're actually nice to me," Scott said trying to not look at her as he got into his car. Sarah got in the passenger seat and said nothing until they were out of the parking and on their way home.

"Why didn't you tell her the funeral is tomorrow?"

"Because I don't want her coming or deal with whatever jokes she will come up with in the future."

"You know she'll find out sooner or later."

"I'd rather it be later when I'm not as tense as I am now and ready to explode."

Sarah knew her brother well enough to drop it and not bring it up again. Soon enough they arrived home, enter the house and are greeted by their mother.

"Hi kids, how was school?"

"It was alright," Sarah answered. "I think I did well on my pre-calc test."

"That's good. How was your day Scott?"

"Fine."

"Do you have a lot of work to makeup?"

"Just a quiz in English, homework in calc, and reading assignments everywhere else."

"If you want to get those out of the way tonight you can. You don't have to go to the viewing."

"No, I want to go," Scott said sadly. "Being here alone will just drive me crazy."

"Ok, do you want to go with me or drive yourself?"

"I'll drive myself, but thank you for the offer mom." Scott hugged his mom in appreciation and went upstairs to his room to relax before he got ready for the viewing.

**************************************

"I'm so sorry for your loss," one of Scott's dad's coworkers said to him. Scott simply shook his hand and smiled. He had been at the funeral home for only an hour and was starting to get tired of everything. He understood all the social niceties, but to him it just seemed like most people were saying it just to say it. He went to the back of the room and sat down on the couch to try to relax amongst the slowly rising noise of the room. He closed his eyes and started going through a deep breathing exercise. After a few minutes he started to feel more relaxed. He opened his eyes and saw a few more new people had come, but one of the people he saw he was very appreciative to see. Without waiting he got up and walked towards the familiar faces with a smile on his face. A man saw Scott approaching and walked towards him as well and embraced him in a loving hug when they met.

"How are you holding up Scott?" The man asked with great concern.

"I'm hanging in there Uncle Andy. Just want to get this all over with as soon as I can."

"I understand buddy," Andy said as they separate from their embrace. "Where are your mom and dad at?"

"Somewhere around here. Too many people have been giving me their condolences to keep track of where they are."

"I'm sure I'll find them soon. Steve will be in soon."

"Good, I could use someone who actually can help."

"I get it. I'll see you later." With that Andy walked away to go find Scott's parents.

Scott wandered around for a few minutes before he saw two more people he was just as glad to see as Uncle Andy. They saw Scott immediately and walked towards him. When they met both the man and woman gave Scott a hug together. They continued the hug for a few seconds before the let go.

"I'm glad you could make it Aunt Melissa and Uncle Luke," Scott said very happy to see more people he at least knew. Right behind them came their daughter. Scott was even happier to see her as they embraced in a very tight hug. "I'm so glad you're here Liz."

"You know Steve and I wouldn't miss being here for you in your time of need," Liz said not letting go of Scott.

"You and Steve are the only two I want to be around me right now."

Liz gave Scott a light kiss on the cheek before she pulled her head back and looked at Scott's face. "You will always have us to help you out through anything."

A few seconds later Steve walks in and sees Steve and Liz hugging. "Can I join in?"

Scott and Liz make room for Steve to join in the hug. They stay in the hug for a minute before separating.

"It's about time you got here," Liz said teasing Steve.

"Sorry, had to park pretty far away."

"I guess I can forgive you."

Scott laughed at his two friends. "Leave it to you two to make me laugh somewhere I shouldn't be."

Steve turned to look at his friend. "That is why we are here for you. To be the friends you need us to be."

While people still came up to Scott to offer their condolences to him, he was much happier because his friends were with him to make him feel less alone.

The next day was the funeral service and while Scott knew Steve and Liz couldn't attend because they were in school, he felt fine during everything. He rode with his parents to the cemetery and watched as his grandma's casket was lowered.

After that everyone went home with, except for Uncle Luke, Aunt Melissa, Uncle Andy, and his wife Aunt Stacy who went to his house to be with his parents. The four of them weren't actually Scott's blood aunts and uncles, but he grew up calling them that because they were family to him. Every holiday his family was with theirs at some point and was always there to play games with him with their own kids. On top of that, they always made him feel normal, even knowing about him having Asperger's Syndrome. They just treated him like everyone else and made him feel like a normal kid.

When Scott got home he just went up to his room while his parents hung out with Luke, Melissa, Andy, and Stacy.

"Scott seems to be dealing with all of this rather well," Andy said sitting in a chair next to his wife.

"He does," Scott's dad agreed, "but we'll see how he is over the weekend."

"He'll be fine Keith," Stacy reassured Scott's dad. "You're just worrying too much."

"I know," Keith admitted. "I just wish there was something else I could do for him. I know he is putting on a strong front for Jackie and me.

"Hate to break it to you Keith," Luke starts, "but your boy won't want help from you. He'll want it from our daughter and Andy and Stacy's son. They've helped him through a lot of this as it is and will continue to. For now, he just needs his space."

"Your son is stronger than you give him credit for," Melissa said. "Trust us Keith. He will be just fine."

"I guess you all are right," Keith conceded. "Just tougher for me to see it I guess with my autism trying to figure how his autism is handling it."

"Your boy is handling this a lot better than how you handled first meeting Jackie," Andy reminded Keith.

"Wow Andy. Little low don't you think? I mean Jackie and I are married with two beautiful children so things obviously are going well."

"Yes they are going well, but you still ran away from her."

"And the girl you ended up dating shortly after we did tried to sabotage mine and Keith's relationship," Jackie scolded him. "I can forgive Keith for running but that."

"Are you forgetting that that was a setup by Jillian and we all fell for her act?"

"Still, you are the one who brought her into the fold," Jackie teased.

"But Scott still has it worse though because he is in the same grade and classes as Jillian's daughter," Keith reminded everyone.

"Do you think Katie knows about his grandma?" Andy asked.

Keith shook his head. "From what he's told me, she doesn't know yet and asked everyone to keep it a secret for now. We'll see next week if the secret was kept and how Katie treats him."

***************************************************

On Saturday Scott spent most of his time in his bedroom, only leaving to use the restroom and eat dinner with his family. He looked through old pictures stored on his family's Cloud of him and his grandma throughout the years. Each year he looked through just made him more depressed and missing his grandma even more. Several times he had to stop looking because he was crying so much.

He sat at his computer and started looking at the pictures of that previous summer, seeing her big, loving smile in every picture which only looked bigger and more loving whenever he was in the picture with her. He missed the feeling of his arms in her fragile hands.

"Are you ok Scott?" his dad asked, popping his head through his son's bedroom door.

"I miss her dad," he said still staring at the pictures on the computer screen.

"I miss her too," Keith said walking over, looking over Scott's shoulder at the pictures. "That 4th of July barbeque was a lot of fun. Your grandma kept telling us for days after that she was so appreciative of you spending so much time with her that day."

"It had been a while since I'd seen her and I needed to make up for lost time."

"You always put her ahead of your own needs," Keith remarked. "Why?"

Scott looked down away from the pictures. "She was always there for me whenever I needed someone older to talk to and never made me seem like a burden whenever I was over. She always gave me a chocolate bar and let me sneak an extra one later on." He had to stop himself from crying as he spoke. "She always seemed to understand me and help me think through stuff better. She always knew what to say to make even my darkest days brighter." He couldn't hold back the tears anymore. "I don't know...if I...if I can go through life... without her."

Keith bends down hugging his son from behind as Scott stays seated at the desk. "I know this is rough for you, but you will live through this. She would want you to live, remembering all she told you, remembering the memories you have of her, and be the best person you can be. She loved you Scott so very much and would want you to continue to live."

12