Love of Autism Ch. 03

Story Info
Aftermath and double date.
7.7k words
4.82
8.4k
14

Part 3 of the 18 part series

Updated 04/17/2023
Created 12/30/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you everyone for all the comments and feedback from the last chapter. I didn't know it would be as well received it has been and probably will continue to be as more people read it. One reader sent me feedback asking me for advice about their son who has autism. Stuff like this keeps me motivated to continue this story, even at the slow pace I write. Honestly, I have a lot going on in my life and my focus shifts a lot. I will keep my profile updated as to the progress of the next chapter that is being written and publish them as soon as possible.

Thank you again Tigersman for editing my chapters and making these chapters readable. And now for the third chapter of Love of Autism.

*****

"Thank you Scott so much for tonight," Katie said as she was slow dancing with him.

"You're welcome Katie."

"I mean it. I don't know what I'd be doing right now without your support."

"That doesn't matter," Scott said. "I'm just happy to see you smiling and happy."

A flirtatious look came upon Katie's face. "Well I'd like to show you how appreciative I am for everything."

"What did you have in mind?"

Before he knew it Katie was pulling him in tight and put her hand on the back of his head to kiss him. Right as the kiss was going to happen he woke up from his dream breathing heavily.

"What the fuck was that?" Scott asked out loud to himself. He didn't like Katie like that and he was sure she didn't like him like that either. How could she? One night of being kind doesn't automatically mean she would want to kiss him, especially after just finding out her now ex-boyfriend was cheating on her. Still he felt shaken from the dream because when she had put her hand on the back of his head to pull him in for the kiss he didn't resist at all. He figured it wasn't best to dwell on the dream because that is all it was, just a dream.

Once out of bed, he put on a shirt and headed downstairs where his mom was making pancakes and bacon for breakfast. "Morning Mom," he greeted.

"Good morning. So how was the Homecoming dance last night?"

"It was good," Scott said as he leaned against the counter. "We all had fun dancing and just having a good time."

"That's good," his mom said. "Did anything special happen?"

"Special?" Scott asked, wondering why his mom asked such a question.

"I told her we took Katie home," Sarah yelled from the family room couch.

"Oh, that. She needed a ride home so I offered her one."

Jackie shook her head as she took the bacon out of the frying pan and got the last of the pancakes off the electric griddle. "You're not getting off that easy Scott. If you want any of this bacon," she showed Scott the plate full of bacon knowing he loved to eat half of what was made, "you'll have to tell me the real reason why she wasn't taken home by her date. I know she has a boyfriend."

"Had a boyfriend," Scott corrected.

Sarah came into the kitchen right as Scott said that. "What do you mean had a boyfriend? They walked in right after we got there and seemed more than happy."

"Well Angelica and I were going to sneak off to make out when we found Jack kissing someone else. I thought it would be best if Katie saw that so she could know the truth."

"That's stupid," Sarah commented.

"You did the right thing," Jackie said. Sarah gave her mom a confused look and she noticed. "I was cheated on before and I only found out because I saw the messaging on the guy's phone one day. I wished I had known sooner."

"But this is Katie we are talking about," Sarah protested. "She's done nothing but make Scott's life a living hell."

"It doesn't matter who the person is," Scott said loud enough to get their attention, "it was the right thing to do."

"She's evil," Sarah said, frustration building over. "She doesn't care about you and-"

"Sarah, drop it, now!" Scott said in a tone that let his sister know the discussion was over. Sarah stormed off to her bedroom and slammed the door which got the attention of Keith, their dad, as he walked into the kitchen.

"OK, what did I miss?" Sensing that Scott was still angry with Sarah, Jackie filled her husband in on what happened at Homecoming. After being told everything, Keith went over to where his son stood and gave him a hug. "I'm very proud of you Scott."

The anger and tension drained from Scott when he heard those words from his father. Those words had been told to him before many times from his parents, especially when he managed to keep his anger in check. This however was different. His father had just told him he was very proud of him for doing the right thing for Katie, his bully for his whole life and he didn't know what to say.

Keith broke the hug with his son and saw he was having trouble processing what just happened. He guided his son towards the table and the three of them sat down. A short while later Sarah joined them and Jackie asked if she was calm now. Sarah said yes and the family enjoyed breakfast together.

************************************************

Katie sat at the kitchen table with her laptop working on her homework. Well she was trying to do her homework, but her thoughts kept going back to the previous night, thinking about Scott. She didn't think she would have enjoyed dancing with him as much as she did. Her train of thought was broken when she heard the garage door open and close, signaling that her mom was home from her business trip.

Immediately she got up, waited by the door that leads to the garage. A minute later her mom came through the door and was welcomed with a hug. "Hi sweetie. How was Homecoming?"

Katie put off telling her mom what had happened until she got home. She had a plan on what to tell depending on how she reacted on each piece of news. She let go of her mother slowly and backed away slowly, which caused Jillian to wonder if something had happened.

"Well...I caught Jack kissing someone else."

Jillian blinked twice and shook her head wondering if she heard her daughter right. "What? Why?"

Katie shrugged her shoulders. "I wish I knew so I wouldn't have wasted so much time with him."

Jillian went over to her daughter and wrapped her arms around her in a warm embrace. "I'm so sorry sweetie."

Katie hugged her mom as she felt like she was about to cry again. "Thanks Mom. I just wish I knew what to do now."

Jillian broke her hug with daughter and looked her in the eyes. "It takes time and the right people around you."

"The right people around me," Katie repeated mostly to herself. She thought about Scott and his friends and if they would be the right people. They were more than friendly, but that might have been just because they felt sorry for her.

"What is it Katie?"

Katie shook head. "Nothing Mom."

"OK," Jillian said, not convinced it was nothing but didn't feel like prodding. After finding out her ex-husband was cheating on her, she didn't want to be asked hundreds of questions about what she was thinking and feeling. She just wanted to heal. Truthfully she hadn't healed that much since receiving the envelope in the mail five years ago that contained the pictures of her ex-husband with another woman in different hotel beds and even their bed at home. She was just thankful the divorce was quick and he didn't put up a fight for custody of Katie or the house. A question came to Jillian's mind then. "How did you get home?"

"Oh, a friend dropped me back here."

'Just a friend?' Jillian thought. She knew all of her daughter's friends by name and whenever they talked about her friends it was always by their name, never just referring to them as a friend. "How did you really get home? You know I would have known if you used an Uber or Lyft."

"Mom, a friend was kind enough to let me ride in their limo and take me home," Katie said somewhat convincingly, but not well enough to fool her mom.

"Katelyn Marie Paulson, you've never referred to any of your friends as just a friend. You always tell me their name."

Katie could see that her mom wasn't going to let this go and took a deep breath before telling the truth. "Scott James offered me a ride home with his friends who had a limo."

"Scott James?" Katie nodded looking away from her mother. "Why in the hell would you accept an offer like that from him?"

"Because it was actually him who showed me that Jack was cheating on me with Melinda."

"And how do you know he didn't set this all up to get back at you for you slapping him?"

"Because he is not like that Mom," Katie defended.

"And how would you know?" Jillian said angrily. She never trusted Scott for no other reason than he was the son of Keith James. She had never forgiven him for that letter he wrote and left at her doorstop years ago claiming she had Asperger's syndrome. The mere thought that she was mentally ill was insulting to say the least in her mind.

"Because I've gotten to know him better during all these lunches that we've had. He doesn't seek out revenge or drama. He avoids it at almost any cost."

"Almost any cost," Jillian repeated back to her daughter.

"And what would he have to gain by doing so?"

"Making you as miserable as he is."

"He's only miserable because I've bullied him for his whole life with your guidance."

"And he deserved it every time. People like him..."

"People like him are the reason why I didn't completely cry myself to sleep last night mother!" Katie yelled. "He was there for me as I cried and offered me his handkerchief so I could wipe away my tears. He was there to comfort me when none of my other supposed friends even checked on me to see what was wrong." Katie decided to omit the part about her dancing with Scott as that just might infuriate her mom for no reason other than her blind hatred against Scott. "He was the only one who gave a damn about me. I don't care what your problem is with him, but he was the only one looking out for me last night."

Jillian started to see there was no reasoning with her daughter. "Just be careful that he doesn't hurt you."

"He won't Mom."

After that Jillian went to unpack her suitcase and Katie went back to her homework. Katie was able to finish her homework after a couple of hours and decided to watch some TV in her room. She watched some reruns of a comedy show she liked, but couldn't keep her focus on the show. The fight with her mom still lingered in her mind and she wanted nothing more than for her mom to see that Scott is nothing like what she thinks he is.

*****************************************

School felt like it dragged on forever for Katie. Each class seemed to take longer than the previous one to end. The last class before lunch was the worst because she shared it with her now ex-boyfriend. They used to sit next to each other in the back of the classroom and pass back and forth paper notes when they were together. This day she chose to sit in the front of the class. Jack came up to her and was about to ask her something when she told him to drop dead. He left her alone and went to a desk at the back of the room.

When the class ended Katie immediately put her tablet in her bag and just went straight to the lunch room and got in line to get her food. Once she paid for her food she went to the table where she and Scott ate at and sat down. A couple minutes later Scott joined her and noticed she looked angry.

"Do you want to vent?"

Katie looked up at him and gave a half smile. "No, but thank you. You don't need to be dragged down with what is going on with me."

"Katie, it's ok to feel hurt by what that idiot did to you."

"I wish it was just that."

"Oh. What else happened?"

"It's nothing."

"OK, I'll drop it, but I am here if you need to vent."

"Thank you," Katie said, appreciating the gesture.

"You're welcome. Everyone needs someone to listen to them."

"And you have two good friends that do that for you in Steve and Liz."

Scott chuckled. "They do a decent job but I usually just end up venting to my parents, especially my dad because he understands my thought process better."

"Because he also has autism?"

"That and he has lived with it longer and understands if I'm letting it cause chaos in my mind."

"How does autism cause chaos in your mind other than the way you think differently compared to everyone else?"

"Perfect example is actually how I have viewed you before we were forced to have lunch together."

"Should I be scared?"

"Not at all," Scott said trying to reassure her. "Before all this, I used to think about ways I wish I could have...interacted with you. Some involved me being nice to you and you eventually being somewhat friendly to me. Other times were similar to what happened in the parking lot two weeks ago."

"Ok, I don't see how that is different than what most people would think about."

"Sure, most people would think of the scenarios and play them out in their heads. However with me I fixate on them and constantly replay the same scenario in my head, changing only certain things and really live in that moment. Depending on if the scenario evokes good or bad emotions, I can either become quite happy or people think I'm mad at them."

Katie thought about what Scott had just told her and tried to figure a way for what was said to make sense to her. "So you're kind of directing and acting out a scenario in your head, but instead of trying to get the perfect take, you just want to play it out over and over again not worrying about what the final cut is going to look like."

"That...is actually a very good way of putting it."

Katie smiled, feeling happy that she was able somewhat to understand better how Scott thinks. "I'm sure you've played out a lot of scenarios in your head that involve me getting what I deserve."

"Not as many as you would think."

"Really? After all the years I've bullied you, you've never fantasized me getting hurt or going through emotional trauma?"

"I didn't say never," Scott pointed out. "I just said not as many times as you would think. I'd much rather play scenarios in my head where I win playing a game through some sneaky moves or just things that make me happy."

"That makes sense," Katie agreed. "Does it ever get overwhelming? Playing a scenario over and over again."

"Not overwhelming, but I have gotten lost in my head doing that for an hour sometimes."

"An hour?" Katie said in disbelief.

"Yep," Scott said nodding his head, "an hour just playing scenarios in my head."

Katie shook her head not believing what Scott is telling her. "An hour? How do you stay sane doing that?"

Scott shrugs his shoulders. "For me it is normal. I'm used to it."

Katie didn't know how to continue the conversation so she just ate her food and Scott did the same. Soon the bell rang that lunch was over and every student needed to head towards their next class including them. Her sixth period class thankfully went by fast and she couldn't wait for English class to be over with so she could get home.

As soon as English was over with she went to her locker, got what she needed, went to her car and left for home. Once she arrived at home she sat down at the kitchen table, pulled out her tablet and started on her homework, but not before noticing a message notification. She opened it up and saw it was a message from Scott.

I'm sorry things have been going rough for you lately with what happened with Jack and whatever else is going on. Here is my number if you ever want to talk or just send a long text to vent and get it all out there. Whatever you tell me stays between us. No one will know what you tell me, not even Steve and Liz.

Leave it to Scott to find a way make Katie smile again when she least expected it. She got her phone out of her bag and texted Scott to let him know she received and read his message and that she might take him up on his offer later that night. More and more she was starting to like Scott and the lengths he would go to so she could be happy. While he might not have been the friend she wanted, he was definitely the friend she needed.

******************************************

The James family gathered at the dinner table and was ready to eat. Keith had grilled steaks this evening and Jackie made fries in the air fryer. Everyone cut into their steaks and was happy with the cook of their meat. A few minutes into eating the food Keith decided to ask his son something.

"So Scott, did you approve a double date for Sarah with Colin?"

Scott looked up from eating his steak and swallowed the piece that was in his mouth before he spoke. "Yes, I didn't think it would be a problem."

"Well it wouldn't have been if you were part of said double date."

Scott didn't understand where his dad was coming from. "What's wrong with Steve and Liz going on a double date with Sarah and Colin?"

"First, Colin didn't ask for my permission to go on a date with Sarah." Scott nodded in agreement that Colin should have done that. "Second, I trust you more to keep an eye on Sarah and Colin and make sure they shouldn't be doing anything they shouldn't."

"I'm not a child Dad," Sarah protested, "and Colin wouldn't try to do anything he shouldn't."

"Your father is right," Jackie said, agreeing with her husband. "We would feel much more comfortable if Scott would accompany you on your first date with Colin."

"But I don't want to be the third wheel on their date," Scott also protested.

"Why don't you ask Angelica to be your date for the evening again?" Jackie suggested.

Scott sank back in his chair. "She and I talked today after school and she thanked me for being her date to Homecoming, but she wasn't interested in dating me seriously or anything."

"I'm sure if you explained the situation to her she would understand," Jackie said.

Scott shook his head. "She was pretty clear about it. She said she needed some time to herself and heal still."

"I'm sorry Sarah," Keith said, "but until Colin asks for my permission to date you and unless Scott agrees to supervise the date there will be no date."

"That's not fair Dad!" Sarah said very upset. "What am I supposed to tell Colin?"

"Tell him the truth. That your father says your brother needs to chaperone the date or be on a double date with your brother. I don't care who he is on the double date with, but he will be there with you."

Sarah set her knife, fork, and napkin on the table only eating about half her steak and some of her fries. "May I be excused?" she asked bitterly. Keith nodded at her and also towards his son as he was about to ask to be excused as well. Jackie waited until their children with far enough away before she asked her husband a question.

"Why don't you just tell Sarah Colin can come over for dinner on Friday?"

Keith smiled at his wife. "Because Scott needs to get out of the house more and be with other people besides Steve and Liz. He's going to college next year and needs to learn how to adapt to new situations."

"I agree with that, but making him be the chaperone for Sarah's date with Colin?"

"Better him than me. Colin is already somewhat comfortable with Scott and more likely to slip up in front of him than the old man."

Jackie thought about it for a second and agreed with her husband. "Still, there are better ways to do this than what you're trying to do."

"Or Colin can come to me like any man should and ask for my permission. If I feel like I can trust him after that I would be more than happy to let him go on a date with Sarah."

"You just don't want anyone dating your little girl," Jackie said mockingly.

Keith smiled at his wife knowing she was right. "Yes, but I know I will have to let her go one day. I just want to help her realize what type of men she should let pursue her."

"There is nothing wrong with that, but you may need to rethink your strategy as well before she hates you and starts hiding stuff from us."