All Comments on 'Love, Sex and Game Theory'

by FreddieTheCamel

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
luedonluedonalmost 4 years ago
Curiouser and Curiouser

We are wandering, and I'm not sure where to.

Or even why.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Huh!

Perhaps if you had framed this in terms of Human Reproductive Ecology the work would have been understandable. Even Behavioral Game theory deals with irrational behavior. If you were trying to make a specific point I didn't see it through the superficial setting you employed despite your introduction saying there is no story here.

IsaacTolkienIsaacTolkienover 3 years ago
Great story

Funny and thought-provoking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
So Good

This story was so good. Loved the way the narrator began with the unstated sense that infinite games are better than finite ones, and then asked himself whether that was true, arrived at the conclusion that for himself he preferred finite games only to discover at the end that that was only partly true! Hard to squeeze character development into a short story.

Also describing a woman's goal to have children and a family as a finite goal which cannot sustain the infinite goal of a long relationship is really insightful. I think it's obvious that stereotypical male finite goals (i.e., getting laid) can interfere with their ability to have real relationships, but much less is said about how women's analogous goals can interfere in similar ways.

Jolly god show!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

As a finite game, this story is well told, the concepts are well presented, and the conclusion is appropriate. As an infinite game, this presentation of game theory will reverberate throughout all of time.

LWlurker

ErotFanErotFanover 2 years ago

Philosophy fails in the face of the prurient.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 2 years ago
Game Theory has a lot more to consider

I liked the discussion about finite vs infinite games, but game theory has a lot more to offer. Consider whether you are in a competitive or a cooperative or a collaborative relationship (or move between these). Also consider Nash equilibrium (opera or ballet versus rodeo or monster truck rally). (BTW if you want more understanding of game theory in a practical sense Papayoanou’s book is the best that I have found). Appreciate the essay!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Actually, the math of infinite games and finite games can be very similar. (My PhD thesis proved a particularly esoteric example of that.) Also, a repeated game is not the same thing as an infinite one. That said, the apparent math and reality of repeated games (finite or infinite) can be quite different from each. Read up on the repeated Prisoner's Dilemma for the best-known cases.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 1 year ago

@lue

You may be wondering where this tale was wandering because of a decision you say you made when you were much younger: Not to treat marriage as what the MC calls an infinite game, but to treat it as a long (virtually infinite?) series of finite games (aka sexual affairs). By the MC's reasoning this was a self-defeating strategy, but you seem to have made it work. Apparently your husband went along with your decision for some time, then opted out for reasons you've never explained (at least to my knowledge). I'm not sure whether that means you were a winner (if such games can ever be won), but you seem to have weathered whatever the consequences may have been (if indeed there were any). If nothing else, this makes you an outlier (N.B. outliEr, not outliAr) in this fantasy world called Loving Wives. I have no idea whether or not Game Theory is relevant as Freddie postulates, but it makes a certain amount of sense to me (but then I'm a loser, not an outlier, so what do I know?). I've missed your observations, lady from OZ; keep them coming.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

As usual with this author, deep, smart, provocative, very well written, good ideas, great points. Sooo tempting to give it 5 stars.

But I'll dock 2 stars because.... meta alert... felt like there was no point to the story. Like it was a TED lecture stuffed into a literotica envelope. The lecture itself was informative, engaging, and quite insightful. But the envelope was just useless fluff. Like those "no plot" movies, to borrow from the story :)

DessertmanDessertmanabout 1 year ago

Clever and funny, a winning combination, just like my wife.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFreddieTheCamel@FreddieTheCamel
I write both professionally and for fun. The stories and essays I post on this site are for fun. I've also taken the first steps to self-publishing under the name Freddie T Camel, although more as an experiment than an ambition. I want to write stories that have emotional res...