Love with the Proper Stranger

Story Info
A Valentine's Dance can change your life.
9.7k words
4.69
31k
47
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The door slammed, and then the crying started.

Parker turned in his desk chair looking back at the wall separating his room from his step-sister's. Well, not really his room, more the room he occupied when he was visiting his Dad.

He could faintly hear Gwen's sobs through the wall. Then the sound of her door opening, his Stepmother Stacy's voice consoling her.

With a shake of his head, he turned back to the computer, minimized the Word document he'd been plugging away at, opened a browser tab to Amazon and searched for noise canceling headphones.

It wasn't that he was insensitive or didn't care, Gwen had always seemed OK, they just didn't have any real connection.

Parker had been 11 when his parents divorced, 12 when his Dad got a big promotion and moved away, and 15 when he married Stacy and then 8-year-old Gwen had entered his life. If the age difference hadn't been enough of a barrier, she'd always been a very girly girl. Into dance, gymnastics, cheerleading, and all things pink. She'd had zero interest in the hiking, camping, hunting and fishing Parker and his Dad did whenever he visited.

Now, a decade later she was an 18-year-old senior, and he was 25 and coming to the end of his second enlistment in the Army. Not a lot of common ground as far as he could tell.

A well reviewed pair of headphones was in the shopping cart and the cursor was hovering over the checkout button when there was a knock at his door.

"Yeah", he called out.

"You decent?" his Dad's voice enquired through the door.

"Of course not, I blame my parents. I am however fully clothed."

The door opened and his dad walked in, closing the door behind him.

Parker spun the chair around to face him, and his dad sat down on the foot of the bed before nodding his head towards the wall.

"I'm sure you heard all that."

"Nothing specific, just crying. Is this where you ask me to be extra nice to her?"

His Dad hesitated for a moment, seemingly thrown off script.

"Nothing like that, I mean you're always nice to her..." His voice trailed off and the two men looked at each other in silence.

Finally, his Dad took a deep breath, "I need to ask you for a favor."

"Sure, what?"

"Don't commit to anything until you get all the facts."

"Fair point."

"You may or may not be wondering what all the drama was about."

"I was a little curious," Parker admitted.

"Well, your sister just found out her boyfriend is cheating on her."

"Wow, that sucks."

Parker was of the opinion that everyone gets cheated on once, and his experience had been most unpleasant.

"Yeah, she's obviously taking it pretty hard."

"Not to be more callous than usual, what's this got to do with me?"

"It's a matter of timing."

"Is this some Valentines Day crap? Still not seeing how that involves me."

"It is a Valentines Day thing," he let out a bit of a sigh before continuing, obviously uncomfortable with where this was going, " So at Gwen's school they have this huge Valentines Day dance. It's a big-time tradition for whatever reason, half a notch below prom. Anyway, your sister and her best friend Cassie have been planning this for months, and now Gwen doesn't have a date."

"No fucking way, you aren't suggesting that...", startling himself a little with the intensity, he tried to avoid cursing in front of his parents.

"Not suggesting, asking."

"You seriously want me to take my Step-Sister to a high school dance? I'm not sure who's reputation would suffer more, hers or mine."

"It sounds crazy, but hear me out. First, you can obviously pass for high school, as much as you hate it now, that baby face will pay off when you're my age.

Second, it's not like anyone's going to know. Cassie has been her best friend since Junior High and she's never seen you. You're just some guy from another school, we can make up a story about how you know her. Then you ride off into the sunset.

And, since I want to be completely honest with you, I've got an ulterior motive."

"I'm afraid to ask," Parker responded.

"I have a romantic Valentines of my own planned out for Stacy, reservations at her favorite restaurant, tickets to the ballet, and a room at the Peabody."

Parker couldn't suppress a laugh, "Brown chicken brown cow?"

His Dad joined the laughter, "I'm old, not dead. But if I don't get Gwen out of the house either Stacy won't go, or she'll spend the whole evening worried about Gwen and spoil my chances."

Well, he couldn't argue with that logic, but Parker wasn't ready to give in yet.

"I don't have anything to wear, nothing that would work if it's formal. I don't even own a suit anymore."

"Easy fix, I'll leave work early tomorrow and we'll go get you a suit. My treat, a thank you present of sorts. If we do it tomorrow, they won't have to rush the alterations."

Parker glanced at his watch; it was almost 630.

He took a deep breath," I'm going to go to the gym. I'll think about it, and I'll let you know either way when I get back."

"Thanks Parker, I hated to ask, but I really appreciate you at least considering it."

"No worries, Dad."

His Dad left the room and he quickly changed into his gym clothes and headed out.

Parker cursed himself as he pulled out of the driveway. Take some leave they said, go see your Dad, it'll be fun they said... could have gone with his buddies to the Keys, but no...someone had to be the dutiful son and visit family.

And now this, the shitty part was he just didn't want to let his Dad down. He couldn't remember the last time he'd ever asked him for anything. But some stupid high school dance? He wasn't even sure they'd been all that much fun when he was in high school. Afterwards there had been some nice moments he remembered with a wistful smile. That was definitely NOT going to happen this time though.

And then there was Gwen. She always seemed nice enough, certainly didn't deserve this, painful memories of his own betrayal bubbling to the surface. What were her options? Go with her friend as a third wheel, and probably see the asshole ex there with the other girl? Sit at home alone and stew? Or sit at home with Dad and her Mom, everyone blaming him?

He was still chewing on that thought when he pulled into the gym. Focusing on his workout kept the problem at bay until it was time for cardio. The boredom of the treadmill left to much time for his mind to wander. After 30 minutes at a steady pace something inside him gave in. He hit the speed button, then raised the angle, then more speed, more angle until he was at a dead run, the platform as steep as it would go. He ran until he thought his lungs would burst, then smashed the emergency stop before he lost his footing.

He staggered off the treadmill, looking around, realizing there were now two kinds of people in the gym. The ones who were staring at him, and the ones who were making an effort to not look at him. He wiped the machine down, grabbed his water bottle and left the gym. He walked around the parking lot away from those curious eyes, the night air helping him cool down.

I can't believe I'm seriously considering this he thought to himself. No, he corrected himself, I can't believe I'm actually going to do this. I used to be kind of cool, is this where cool goes to die? Have you hit rock bottom when you take your sister to a school dance?

He let out a sigh, got in his car, and headed back to his Dad's house.

Stacy and Gwen were in the den, Stacy was watching TV, Gwen was on her phone.

"Your Dad's in the garage," Stacy offered with an odd smile.

Parker thanked her and soon located his Dad. He was at his workbench, a pile of parts in front of him.

"What are you working on?" he asked.

"Trying to rebuild the carburetor for the Camaro."

Parker shook his head and laughed.

"Fuel injection old man, the future is now!"

His Dad set the parts down, and turned around on the stool.

"Yeah, but your Grandpa always wanted to set it up with dual Quadra jets on a tunnel ram, so..." he could hear the echoes of pain and loss in his Dad's voice.

"So, that's the way it's going to be," Parker completed the sentence for him.

His Dad was looking at him, but Parker could sense he was seeing something else.

"You know," the older man finally said, "He'd be really proud of you. Of the man you've turned out to be."

"Thanks Dad, I hope so, I miss him a lot."

"Me too, every day."

"Fucking cancer," they both said in unison, and then laughed draining the tension away.

"Parker, I'm sorry about earlier, I shouldn't have asked you that. I know it puts you in a terrible situation, and it wasn't fair of me."

"It's fine Dad, I actually came out here to tell you I'd do it."

"You really don't have to."

"I know, it's just, well I've sort of been there. I had a girlfriend cheat, so I can sort of understand what she's going through. I had some friends pull me through it, so maybe this is my chance to pay it forward, or whatever the kids call it these days."

"The kids?" his Dad said with a laugh, "you old man you."

"It's not the years it's the miles, I've got a lot of miles on me."

"That you do," his Dad acknowledged.

"So, what now? I need a suit, obviously."

"You still like Chipotle?"

"Sure."

"I'll meet you at the Chipotle by my office at 1, we can eat then get that taken care of. I probably need to let the girls know."

Parker grinned, "Actually, let me handle that."

"You sure?"

"Nope, but that's never stopped me before."

He gave his Dad a hug and headed back into the house. Stacy and Gwen were still in the den. Gwen glanced up from her phone as he entered, he stood in front of her, looking down at her with a smile.

"Hey, Gwen, I was wondering if you could do me a favor?"

"Sure, I guess, what?" she replied hesitantly, an expression on her face that seemed to mix nervousness and embarrassment as she shot a glance at her Mom.

Stacy responded with an encouraging nod, and Parker continued.

"Well, you know, my school didn't have a Valentine's day dance. So, I've never been to one. I'm not sure I'd feel right going to my grave never having experienced that, so I was hoping maybe I could tag along with you, I promise I won't be a bother."

He looked around in an exaggerated conspiratorial manner, then in a stage whisper added, "And I'm old enough to buy beer."

Gwen laughed, and Stacy threw a pillow at him.

She looked up at him for a moment, then finally, "I think I'd like that. Except the beer part of course," she added quickly.

"Darn right, except for the beer part," her Mom added with mock outrage.

"Well, now that that burden has been lifted off my shoulders, I'm going to go take a shower and try and finish my homework."

"You have homework? I didn't think the Army did that," Gwen enquired.

"They don't, at least not usually, unless you count PT, but I'm working on my Masters. I was in the field last week, no computer access. My professors were really cool about it, but I've got to get caught up."

"Oh, I had no idea," Gwen said.

"Well, it isn't all that exciting, and with that, I bid you ladies goodnight."

He bowed and headed upstairs to the shower.

Parker spent the next morning catching up on schoolwork, and met his Dad at the appointed hour. With more than a little help from the salesman they picked out a suit, shirt, and tie that salesman assured them was the height of fashion and that the alterations would be finished by Thursday. His Dad declined the offer to look at shoes, and instead took Parker to a western store and they picked out a nice pair of boots.

At dinner that evening Gwen was conspicuous by her absence. She had gone over to her friend Cassie's after cheerleading practice Stacy offered by way of explanation. It was almost 9 o'clock, and Parker and his Dad were in the den watching Steve McQueen in the Sand Pebbles when she got home. Steve McQueen had come up over lunch, and his Dad had been appalled by his parenting failure in not exposing Parker to this particular classic sooner.

Gwen sat down on the couch next to Parker for the last 15 minutes.

"Steve McQueen was awesome," she commented when the movie ended, "I think I prefer Bullitt though."

Parker turned to look at her, "You're a Steve McQueen fan?"

"Of course, his movies are awesome, and you should read about his life. That guy really lived."

"I had no idea; guess I'll have to look into that."

"You totally should, but first I thought we should talk about Friday. We probably need to get our story straight."

Parker's dad stood up, "Well, on that note, I'll leave the two of you to it. Good night."

"Goodnight Dad," Parker replied.

"Goodnight Jonah," Gwen added.

He left the room, and Gwen turned towards Parker.

"So, first we gotta figure out where we met. You went to Churchill, in San Antonio, right?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I figure the closer we keep it to the truth the easier it will be to remember."

"That makes sense, but we need to keep it vague too, in case someone starts Googling."

"I don't think anyone will, but that's a good point."

She paused, considering him for a moment.

"How does this sound," she began, "I was in San Antonio last summer for a Journalism conference, we met there, worked on a project together at the conference, been using Snapchat to keep in touch ever since. Think you can convince people you know a little about journalism?"

"I actually was in Journalism; I had no idea you were."

"All 4 years of high school, I'm co-editor of the paper. I'm not JUST a cheerleader."

"I never said you were," Parker responded a bit defensively.

She laughed, "I'm just teasing you. But I think this will work. I found out Curt was cheating, confided in you and you asked me to the dance. All neat and simple, and on the off chance someone talks journalism stuff to you, you remember enough to fake it."

"Pretty sure I can handle that. If we've got that all sorted out, what time do I pick you up?"

"Well, about that...Cassie and Robert are going to be here at 5. Cassie's parents got a limo," She grinned before continuing, " it's your first Valentines dance, just concentrate on looking pretty and I'll take it from there."

"Yes Ma'am," he responded as he stood up, "guess I should go get some beauty rest then."

They exchanged goodnights and both headed for their rooms.

Parker didn't see much of Gwen after that. He spent the next few days catching up, and then getting ahead on his school work. The suit was ready on time, and while Parker still had a bit of trepidation about the night ahead, by Friday he was at least open to the possibility it might be fun.

At 4:45 he was sitting in the living room, wearing his new suit and boots talking to his Dad. They heard Stacy clear her throat, and both men looked towards her. She was standing at the bottom of the stairs, when she was sure she had their attention, she looked up the stairs.

Gwen was there, in her dress, a nervous smile on her face.

Father and Son stood and walked to the landing as Gwen began to descend the stairs.

She looked amazing Parker thought. He was so used to seeing her hair in a pony tail he hadn't realized how long it was, now her blonde tresses hung down below her shoulder blades. Her dress was a rich blue, a deep V neckline coming down to the base of her full breasts. The skirt was almost the reverse, it was floor length, in a mermaid cut, flaring out below her knees. Above the knees it hugged her tightly up over her hips where it ended, leaving her sides exposed, the fabric continued up over her stomach in a triangle, the point of which met the base of the V neck. The edges of both the neckline and cutouts on the side were trimmed in stones, adding a sparkle to it.

Gwen turned to give her Mother a hug and Parker realized the entire back was open. The skirt, trimmed with the same stones went around just above her waist, and the straps for the top met behind her neck.

Mother and daughter finished their embrace and Stacy instinctively instructed Gwen to stand next to Parker.

As she pulled out her phone and prepared to take a picture Parker's Dad spoke up, " Dear, we need to be rather careful with who we show those pictures to."

Stacy hesitated for a moment, "you're right, but I'm still taking some. Don't they look wonderful? I really didn't want her getting that dress at first but now..."

"Oh, Mom," Gwen interrupted, "it's not any worse than our cheerleading uniforms."

"I know, I know, but I don't like those," she said as she took a few pictures.

Gwen's phone pinged and she picked it up off the small table in the entryway.

"That's Cassie, they're almost here." She announced.

They said their goodbyes to the parents.

As Parker shook his Dad's hand he glanced at Gwen and commented, "Good call on the boots Dad."

"Your Grandma didn't raise no fool."

Gwen was 5 inches shorter than Parker's 5ft 9in height, but her heels made up most of that distance. Fortunately, the heels on his boots gave him a little of that back.

"And that reminds me," his Dad said, reaching into his pocket and coming out with a wad of cash, "take this, I have no idea where you guys are going for dinner, but Cassie's family is loaded, so it isn't going to be Applebee's."

He pressed the money into Parker's hand.

Gwen's phone pinged again, "They're here."

The family went out the front door just as a stretched Escalade limousine pulled up to the curb. Gwen handed Parker her phone.

"No pockets," she said by way of explanation, "think you can keep track of it for me."

"I'll do my best."

The rear door flew open and a petite brunette in a black dressed popped out.

As if on cue she and Gwen squealed in unison and the girls ran to each other and hugged. A blonde-haired man in a dark suit exited from the vehicle and stood patiently by the door with the smile of a man who was used to all this.

Gwen turned back to Parker and beckoned for him to join her.

He took one last look at their parents, "I guess that's my cue, goodnight."

"Have fun, don't stay out too late, blah blah blah," His Dad offered with laugh.

"I'll do my best," he said as went to join the girls.

"Cassie, this is Parker, Parker, my bestie, Cassie."

Before Parker could react, the brunette was hugging him.

"I can't believe I finally get to meet the mystery man," She said as she let go of him, "we are going to have so much fun tonight."

"Nice to meet you too."

The trio headed to the limo, and Cassie introduced Parker to her boyfriend Robert. The men shook hands, then they piled into the vehicle.

The girls were complimenting each other on their dresses as they pulled away from the house.

The two men looked at each other in silence for a minute, then Robert broke the ice.

"You're from San Antonio? That make you a Spurs fan?"

"It does, you?" Parker answered.

"Sacramento, don't hold it against me," the younger man said.

"I won't, you guys have suffered enough. If you'd said the Suns, I would have had to pitch you out the sunroof."

Robert laughed and the two discussed basketball all the way to the restaurant.

Just as Parker's father had predicted, they arrived at an elegant, and pricey restaurant.

The hostess complimented both girls on their dresses and escorted them to a semi-private table with a view out onto a small fountain.

Cassie assured the group that everything on the menu was excellent, and when the waiter appeared they placed their orders. The girls resumed their conversation about happenings at their school and Robert was drawn into it. Parker found himself staring out the window, zoned out watching the water.

"What do you think, Parker?"

Gwen's voice snapped him back to reality.

"Uh, Sorry, gathering some wool there, think about what?"

"Gwen, the poor boy drives all the way up here from San Antonio and you are boring him to death," Cassie accused in a laughing tone.