Lucky, Lucky Man

Story Info
Can a man's luck run out?
3.8k words
3.67
33.7k
18
26
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Egregious
Egregious
157 Followers

Characters:

Husband: Dr John Fletcher (54).

Wife: Dr Lauren Fletcher (nee Stockbridge) (36).

Ex-Wife: Caroline Fletcher (51).

Former student: Daniel Reynolds (38).

Statue: Michael Faraday (230).

History: My version of a continuation to "Lucky Man," by DeYaKen published in 2015. I have contacted the Author and have his blessing. His only criteria, "be consistent with the characters." Which I have attempted to do. I strongly suggest the reader review the original story to understand this addition. However, there is a short summary below.

Back story:

John Fletcher, a College lecturer, is happily married to Caroline, a charity organiser for Children's Services. Their adult children Ross and Jamie, have moved out and are studying at University. John realises Caroline has been having an affair with the head of Children's Services, MP. Roger Dewey. John is involved in a car accident and barely survives. The hospital's emergency room doctor tells John he's a <em>Lucky Man</em>. John quits his University job and starts working for Mumford Labs on Bionic arm research. Caroline ends her affair. Rather than divorce, they separate but remain married. Part 2 picks up some seven years later with John and his assistant Lauren guest speakers at The Institute of Engineering Technology on the latest Bionic arm research. Former student Daniel attends with Caroline. John and Caroline share dinner where she seduces him in her hotel room, endeavouring to rekindle their marriage. John contemplates Caroline's proposal. But after a dream realises he cannot trust her fidelity, so they divorce. John and Lauren married. Lauren supplies the wedding rings saying, "Tungsten is incredibly strong that's the kind of marriage I want." Two years later. John is now lecturing part-time at University, while Lauren finalises Bionic arm research.

Author: My part of the story picks up about a year later. Lauren and Daniel are now doing bionic leg research for Mumford Labs. John has become known as "the man who made the bionic arm."

Editor: Every time I reread this story, I found another small change. Thankfully 1moeannie came to my aid, finding missed spelling and grammatical errors and plot inconsistencies. Thanks, Annie. All other mistakes are mine.

<center>

oOo

</center>

Johns story:

Over the last three years, Lauren, now thirty-six, protests that she is a career woman and can do without children to complicate her life. Claiming her research on human bionics comes first. However, I have noticed small changes to her personality over the last six months, which refute her claim, <em>not wanting children</em>. I am now teaching full time on Human Bionics at the University. This time around, I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge with students interested in new technology. Daniel was employed to work full time with Lauren on her research for a fully functioning bionic leg at Mumford Labs. I'm acting as a consultant, overseeing Lauren and Daniels' project.

I have not seen hide-nor-hair of my ex-wife, Caroline, for the past three years, even though she lives close by in Cambridge. Of course, I have seen newspaper stories of her success and wish her well.

Most nights, Lauren is home by eight. Full of news about the day's research and testing. Lauren and I sit at the dinner table discussing the latest details late into the night.

But tonight, she rings at seven to tell me Daniel has conceived a new RC digital filtering algorithm for sensor data. So they are going to carry on working late into the night. If necessary, she will sleep in a fold-out camp stretcher in the office.

Around one in the morning, I wake. Lauren is not beside me. She must still be working. Now I'm awake and cannot get back to sleep. So I decided to visit them at the Laboratory. Grabbing a bottle of her favourite wine, I pick up two takeaway pizzas on the way.

As I walk into the lab, I can hear her moaning. Without even looking, I knew what's happening. Walking to the corner of her office, I peek through the open doorway.

Lauren's lying on her back, on the camp bed. Daniel is between her widely spread legs, pants around his ankles. Her knickers still wrapped around one of her trim legs. She is softly moaning. Daniel is grunting with each stroke. His head in the crook of her neck, arms bent supporting his weight. Her arms are wrapped around his shoulders, hands on the back of his neck, holding him in a tight embrace.

<em>It looks like my luck has just run out.</em>

I watch them for a while, not as a voyeur. Realising this is the way it should have been three years ago when I pushed them together that fateful night, sending them off to watch the Lion King.

I quietly put the pizza box and wine on the shelf next to the door. I start to remove the Tungsten wedding ring when Lauren looks over to see me standing there. She freezes, drawing in a sharp breath, holding it. Daniel looks up to see what's wrong, turning his head to see what she is looking at.

"Lauren, as you know, Tungsten is very strong. However, did you also know Tungsten is quite brittle, known to shatter on impact? Closing my hand into a fist, I punched the steel filing cabinet, using my ringer finger to make contact. The ring shatters into pieces falling to the floor. Picking them up, I place them on the pizza box lid.

I move out of the doorway and into the laboratory room, giving them a chance to get dressed.

As they enter the lab, tears of guilt and regret are running down Lauren's cheeks. Daniel's face shows betrayal at his actions.

In a faltering voice, "You two looked perfect for each other this is how it should have been three years ago. Please don't say a word, let me finish, or I will lose it."

"I have noticed Lauren, your moods have changed over the past nine months. I've seen this pattern before with Caroline, just before we started having children. I think it's called the 'ticking biological clock syndrome'. Lauren, you need to become a mother. Daniel should take on the responsibility of getting you pregnant."

The pair are in a tight embrace. Lauren is quietly sobbing, her head pressed against Daniels's chest. Her eyes are closed, tears running down her cheeks. Daniel's head is downcast; he cannot look me in the eye.

As a final word, "Lauren, our time together has come to an end. Please treat each other well. I do not want to see either of you again. If nothing else, continue and succeed with the Bionic leg research for me."

I turn and leave the room.

<center>

oOo

</center>

Arriving home, I mull over the past three years of my marriage. I don't regret the time, but

all the same, I think our marriage, was most probably doomed from the beginning. I was always too old for Lauren. Other than the Bionic research, we had little in common. While Lauren and I knew each other's moods after working together for seven years, it was not a good foundation for a marriage. And I should have known better.

Daniel and Lauren will make a good couple. Being of similar age, they both have good work ethics. Only good can come out of their union. Whether Daniel had become infatuated with Lauren, and she likewise, being attracted to him. Both are young career-orientated people.

The following day I start packing all my clothing, realising I need a new place to stay. Then I remember there is a fully furnished flat to rent just down the road. Walking to the real estate sign, I call the number, explaining I need to move in today. I'm, told a salesperson will be there in twenty minutes. By the time twenty minutes are up, I have half a dozen boxes of clothing, books and papers sitting outside the flat door.

With lease papers signed by lunchtime, keys in hand by three in the afternoon, I have moved in. Sending a text message to Lauren explaining I have moved out. The house is hers to do with as she wishes, move in or move out. My solicitor will be in contact with divorce papers shortly.

I don't know how I felt at that moment, certainly anger, sadness, definitely betrayal. For the second time in my life, I wondered, "why do I feel so empty inside?" After all, Lauren didn't want something soft and weak like gold as a symbol of her marriage. She wanted something hard and incredibly strong. Declaring, "when I get married, we're having Tungsten rings." <em>No, I just felt depressed.</em>

A day later, I exit my flat on a fine spring morning, deciding to walk to the University as it's only a short distance away. There is only a month before the semester is over. I noticed a moving truck outside of our old home.

A little old lady who is my new next-door neighbour is watering her garden and looks up with sad eyes. "Another marriage has gone wrong," she exclaims. "He was too old for her; it was only a matter of time before she found someone younger, but it's still sad for both of them."

Unable to speak, I watch the truck slowly, being loaded, with the furniture we both purchased only a few years ago. Tears start running down my cheeks. The old lady's words cut deep.

Delayed emotions start to overwhelm me. I cannot stop the tears flowing down my cheeks like a burst dam. In my office, I start crying out loud. My secretary tries to give words of comfort to no avail. During my lecture, midway through, tears start running down my cheeks again. Making out, I have a cold using my handkerchief to wipe them away. At the end of the lecture, there are usually a few students who ask questions, but none today. Word has spread of Lauren and my separation.

Over the coming weeks, things go from bad to worse. I lock myself in my office, refusing to talk to any post-doctoral students for fear of bursting into tears. Rumours spread; I'm supposedly having a nervous breakdown. The vice-Chancellor has words with me. He promises to help remedy the situation with counselling, but in the end, does nothing. I have become a lost soul, pushing everyone away and now have no one to talk to; <em>and it's only getting worse</em>.

Sitting at my desk after the vice-Chancellor's final warning. He suggests I take the summer off and get counselling. The University cannot have a repeat of last month's chaos. Thankfully the semester has only a week to go.

<center>

oOo

</center>

Caroline continues the story.

John's elbows rest on the desk, his head down between his hands, tears dripping onto the desktop blotting paper. He didn't notice as I entered the room. But notices my perfume and gentle hand on his shoulder. Looking up into my face, he bursts into a fit of tears, becoming inconsolable.

I hug him tightly until he slowly brings himself under control. Pulling him from the chair, I guided him childlike through the University to my car. I drive to my flat. Once in the bedroom, I stripped him to his underwear. Pushing him onto the bed then pulling the bedding over him. I strip to my bra and panties and slip in with him. Resting, my head on his chest. Laying my knee on his hip, he automatically puts his arm around my shoulder, his hand resting on my breast.

He falls into a deep fitful sleep, calling out Lauren's name several times. I was surprised when he cried out my name at one point. I, for my part, cannot sleep, just cuddling him as he moves around the bed in various sleeping positions.

It's early morning when John wakes, opening his eyes looking around at the unfamiliar room. His thoughts are confusing, "Where am I? Who's warm body is beside me?" He looks into the face of his ex-wife Caroline.

She is sound asleep. John admires her beautiful features and realises why he fell in love with her all those years ago and cannot understand why they finally separated. Her eyes open, a smile spreads across her face.

She kisses his cheek, asking, "How do you feel now?"

"Much, much better, thank you," is his reply, "But how did I get here?"

"I brought you over from your rooms at the university, don't you remember?"

"No, I don't!"

"Stay here. I will get us some breakfast." She tells him.

Caroline returns with a breakfast tray, giving it to him to hold while she slips back into bed.

"Your favourite, hard-boiled egg with toast and a hot pot of tea for two."

Sitting side by side, we share our warmth, eating breakfast quietly.

Caroline puts the tray aside and breaks the silence for the first time in ten minutes.

"John, I still love you very much and always will. I'm not letting this chance of being with you slip away again. You hurt me to my soul when you rejected me three years ago. Then the divorce out of the blue left me with a scar across my heart. But I realise I deserve it for all the hurt and pain I had caused you with my selfish affair."

John was about to speak.

Putting my finger on his lips, elaborating, "no, don't speak, let me finish. Back in that hotel room, I tried all my sexual power on you, trying to win you back and show I could be as sexual as Lauren. After much counselling, I realised that was the wrong way to win back your heart. You needed companionship, not a porn star. So I lost you again. Which broke my heart."

"I once asked you in public, 'What makes you give up on a project?'"

"Lauren answered for you, 'he, never gives up'."

"John, I have never given up on my project, <em>US</em>. I used your procedure on you. 'Review projects both active and dormant at regular intervals. If something has changed that makes the project viable, reopen it'."

"And that's what I am doing. So 'Please John, let me try to make it right'."

"I have spoken with my psychologist, making an appointment for today at two in the afternoon. Don't argue. You know as well as I do you must do this. My love for you has never changed. If at the end of this process you don't want me, then I will have to live without you and you without me."

<center>

oOo

</center>

After the first few weeks of counselling, I could see John slowly returning to his former self. At the councillors request, I start attending every second session. We began to have hope the end was in sight. All the while John stayed at my home, we slept together, never having sex.

The day I dreaded came when John told me he was moving back to his flat. The counsellor told me this would happen, so I had to let him go. As suggested by the counsellor, I started dating John. Over the final days of summer and into early autumn, we dated weekly, sometimes just for coffee.

We regularly had lunches, dinners; watched movies and occasionally attended a theatre play. We always ended the evening with a light kiss, never sex. All the while, John had twice-weekly counselling.

Arriving at his flat late in the evening after a dinner dance, he invited me in, much to my surprise! I assumed he wanted to talk about the resumption of the University's new year semester.

John offered a cup of tea. I waited nervously on the couch. When he joined me, placing the teacups on the small table. John began, "I have decided to retire from teaching and purchase a cottage in Scotland overlooking the ocean. There I am going to write The Manual on Human Bionic Research and Development so far. Unfortunately, I will have to speak with both Lauren and Daniel. Seeking their permission for the latest research to keep the book up to date. They have a lecture coming up at The Institute of Engineering Technology in a few months, which I plan to attend. So what do you think, Caroline?"

I was happy for him and sad for myself. We were going to separate for the last time. I had just got accustomed to being with him again. My heart nearly broke into two pieces. Tears started running down my cheeks. I could not reply and began sobbing while dashing for the door, blurting out in sobs, "I wish you well."

Before I got there, he slipped his arms around my waist and held me close from behind, saying, "I want you to be with me while I write the book, as my editor. I don't want to be in a cottage by the sea without you. I love you and always have. The counsellor helped show me my mistake for not forgiving you. For in forgiveness is reconciliation. Could you also retire and come live with me?"

Turning around, throwing my arms around his neck, drawing my lips to his in a deep and lingering kiss. I responded, "I thought you would never ask."

John picked me up in his arms, carrying me to the bedroom, where we made love into the wee hours.

<center>

oOo

</center>

Things moved quickly after that. I resigned from my job at Children's Services the very next day. The University offered John a redundancy payment. Unknown to me, John had already purchased a cottage the month before, located in the isles of Scotland. Selling my unit, we transported all my furniture and a week later moved in. We kept his flat as a place to stay when he needed to research at the University.

However, there was one condition; he said he would not marry me again. Regardless, I would be happy if we lived together as partners for the rest of our lives. So I happily agreed.

During that first month, in our cottage, John worked twelve-hour days typing his manuscript while I edited. I insisted we stop working a seven in the evening to have dinner then bed with sex to relieve the tension. It was one of the most productive and passionate months of our lives.

A month or so later we travelled to London. The hardest part would be when John and I attended the latest Bionic lectures at The Institute of Engineering Technology. Knowing he had to see and talk with Lauren and Daniel.

On the day, I went to pick up our entrance tickets. I left John to visit Michael Faraday.

As usual, John was talking to Michael about his manuscript progress. When the statue replied, in a woman's voice! John turned around to face a pregnant Lauren.

"Knew I would find you here. How are you, John?"

"As good as to be expected," he replied, going on to say, "You look very well. I would say glowing. When are you due?"

"In about five months. You told Daniel to get me pregnant, and he did, thank you. If it's a boy I want to call him John, would that be alright with you?"

"That's fine, can't stop you anyway. I cannot see a wedding ring?" He observed.

"We are too busy with research and will wait for the baby to be born before we walk down the aisle. Besides, there's a month to go before we are officially divorced. I heard through the grapevine, you have retired and are in the process of writing the definitive book on Human Bionic Limbs development. Is that correct?"

"Yes," he replied. "I will need yours and Daniels' approval to use the latest research details to finish the book. I intend to start at the beginning nine years ago using our research notes. I will also have to work out copyright details with Mumford Labs. "Would you be happy with that?"

"I'm sure Daniel and I would be happy to assist you as we are simply too busy to write a book on the subject and you are the best person on the subject, in the right place and time. So you have our blessing, John."

"Well, hello there, Lauren," a voice from behind him calls as I make an entrance, giving Lauren a small hug. Addressing John, "I have the tickets and a copy of the seminar notes for you, darling." Turning to Lauren, "from what I see, congratulations are in order."

"Thanks, Caroline, I must be off to set up, bye John, bye Caroline."

"Bye, we both replied."

<center>

oOo

</center>

A month later, back in their cottage, I phoned Lauren asking about the current state of her pregnancy. Finally, I asked, "Lauren, do you use Markforged 3D printers for making your bionic arms?"

"Yes," came her answer, "why?" came her question.

"Lauren, if I send you Computer-aided Design diagrams, could you manufacture some small parts for me?"

Egregious
Egregious
157 Followers
12