Lydia's Run

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I remembered such things from my schooling. Metal flying machines that delivered death and destruction during the days when the ancients destroyed the world.

I was confused. Here was evidence that Protector had told the truth. And yet everywhere, the world was green and alive. How could both be true?

To be honest. I didn't care. Protector had taken Quillan from me and beyond that I was numb. Only the life inside me and the small shape of Lyra holding on to the gown I'd escaped the village in, stopped my wanting to be with him and kept me from making these new people spit their metal sticks at me and end my misery.

Amelie squeezed up next to me.

"What do you think this place is?"

"I don't know." I said shaking my head.

"These people are the Ancients. Primitives."

Amelie was shaking. She was as fearful as I was but neither of us voiced our conviction that we would be dead soon.

We were ushered into a large shelter with a curved roof and huge doors at either end. The floor was hard and grey with dark stains here and there. Everything about the place was stone or metallic. Harsh and unfriendly. Neither the natural elements of the village nor the bright, warm, softness of the City. It had a smell about it. Alien and industrial.

I sat and cried while Amelie still fresh with her own loss tried to comfort me. Adora looked lost. She just made it known that she and Morten were there for us, then let us be. What could they do? They couldn't bring Aldus or Quillan back. And she felt the grief just as acutely. He has been her brother.

We were given food and soft coverings. What they called blankets. Then we were left for the night. I don't think anyone actually slept. All I heard were sobs and hushed sorrowful whispers. Our number was less than half what it'd been and there was no one amongst us who hadn't lost someone.

The next morning I was singled out and taken to what I could only describe as a hall. The two men pushed me forward until I stood in the center.

I didn't like this place. It was sterile like the City but in a different way. Here everything seemed less polished. Rough and slightly grubby. It was as though someone had taken the old tunnels from beneath the City and expanded them upwards and outwards before adding a harsh unnatural light. I glanced up at its source. Ugly strips that hung on wire from above.

People stood around looking at me as though I was some kind of curiosity. A specimen. A rare animal to be studied. I felt insignificant. Tiny compared to these giants. Every one of them towered over me. Even their smaller females stood a good head taller than me.

Ahead of me a raised platform with grander looking people, seated, but just as curious about me watched. They were looking and whispering.

"What do you want?" I cried out in despair after I couldn't take the staring any longer.

One of the grand men came towards me, stepping down from the platform. He circled me and touched my hair. Beside him, I felt like a child.

"Dark. Not fair."

He said it to the others as though I didn't matter. I wondered if dark hair singled me out as a reject here as it did in the City. But then many of these also had darker hair. A whole mix of shades in fact. And skin colors. Again I was struck by how the City was obsessed with a uniformity that didn't exist outside.

He lifted my skirt, looking down at my legs before I snatched it away.

"Slender and pale skinned."

It was as though I was being measured and evaluated. Each finding called out to the others.

"But there is no collar.

And clearly no Chasity Garment." He said looking at my belly.

"What do you want with me?"

I asked again. This time quieter, directed at the man who was standing in front of me.

I was close to tears. Shaking with fear of these strangers and I struggled to control my breathing. They were truly the primitives Protector had educated us about. A dangerous, destructive people. I wished Quillan was still here.

"What's your name?"

I wasn't sure I wanted to tell him anything. But he seemed a little softer. What could my name hurt?

"Lydia."

"The village leader. You are his mate?"

"Quillan? He's... was my First."

I sniffled at the image fixed in my mind of him being struck down.

"My Life-Mate."

What terms did these people understand?

"And you carry his child?"

I felt the stab of terror and held my belly. My groin cramped and pain invaded my lower back. I wanted to sit down.

"It's just a child. Please. It can't harm you."

He studied me again as if something confused him.

"The village leader was your mate, but it's obvious you are from the Dome. How is that?"

"Dome? You mean the City?"

"Yes. The City. The place of the Protector.

How are you with the villagers?"

"I escaped. Me and a..."

I checked myself. I had no idea what these primitives wanted. It was obvious they would know by looking at her that Amelie was also from the City. But I didn't want to feel responsible if they did something unspeakable to her."

"I escaped through the old tunnels and the villagers took me in."

"And the others of your kind? Did they also escape?"

"Yes."

"Do the villagers worship the Protector?"

"No." I protested.

How could he even think that?

"The Protector attacked us. His drones destroyed our village and killed many of our number."

"His?"

I shook my head.

"His. It. I don't know. No one has ever seen the Protector."

"Do you still worship the Protector?"

"No. I ran from the Protector. I don't know what it is. A person. An AI. I don't know. Only that he or it controlled my life. Decided that I shouldn't breed. That I was a reject unworthy of passing my genes on."

"Does the Protector know of us?"

"I didn't know of you until today. How could I know what the Protector knows? I was just a dancer. A street performer."

Wetness trickled down my legs and I looked down, bemused that I felt as though I was peeing myself. So embarrassing.

The small, clear puddle between my feet terrified me. I stared, unsure what it was. Then the pain came again. It cramped my belly and I groaned, bending over to ease the agony.

There was a change in the atmosphere. The questioning stopped. Two females came rushing towards me and despite my fear and repulsion at their taking hold of my arms, they spoke more soothingly.

"What's happening?"

"Come with us."

"No. I want to go back to my people."

"Your child is coming. We can help you more than they can."

"No. That's not true I'm not yet eight moons.."

"That's why you need our help. It's coming Lydia."

I was horrified. But I was weak and the pain kept coming. I couldn't resist. I had no idea where they were taking me. Only that I was pushed into a chair on wheels and rushed along dull craggy walled corridors. Then I was in a bright room where everything seemed to be colored white.

More pains invaded my stomach and I cried out.

"Stay calm." A voice next to me said.

I struggled as they lay me on a soft raised platform, terrified they would do something horrid. Faces invaded my vision and hands seem to be everywhere, prodding and poking me. Others holding me down.

"Let me go."

They were pulling my gown off.

"Please."

More voices. Soothing and calm, but I wasn't listening. Especially when a mask was put over my mouth. I drew a deep breath through fear even though I knew it was the last thing I should do. I became light-headed. Slightly sleepy. But the pain eased.

"What are you doing to me?" I asked drowsily.

"Listen to me, Lydia."

My eyes darted about to find a woman smiling at me. It scared me even more. Then I was aware of my legs being pulled aside and I became convinced these animals were going to forcibly breed with me. They were at my pussy. Hands all over my thighs and belly. Fingers pawing me.

Again the pain came. Intense cramps that took my breath away.

"Stop. It fucking hurts." I screamed again.

I tried to roll, still intent on getting away from these animals. Someone was holding my knees, another gripped my shoulders and pulled me back, flat. The voice was still talking and finally, I paid attention.

"Lydia. Your baby is coming. We're going to help you."

That wasn't possible. I wasn't due for over another moon.

"You're fully dilated. Try pushing."

It was almost instinctive when I did as she said.

"Uhhh."

"That's it. Push."

"I am fucking pushing." My scream descended into a sob.

Tears welled in the corners of my eyes and made a break for freedom down my reddened cheeks.

"It's coming." A voice said.

I pushed again and my pussy became a ring of fire.

"Arrh."

I huffed breaths in quick succession to ease the pain. Then I clenched my jaw and threw my head back with my eyes tightly closed. It felt as though I was tearing between my legs. A fire that burned my tender flesh, but the intense pressure eased.

"Oh, my Lord.

Arrgh. Fuck."

I pushed again and suddenly it was over and I was hit with a rush of euphoria.

I was still in a daze when I heard the distinctive sounds of a baby. Tiny gurgles and murmurs that sounded like crying.

I lifted my head and looked down over my bare, swollen breasts as something was placed there. My arm was lifted to support the minute wriggling form.

"My baby."

So small and fragile.

I cried.

When I recovered my strength my thinking became more rational. These primitives hadn't tortured or assaulted me. I was laid on a comfortable platform. I could only liken it to a raised sleeping mat. There were others around, set out in rows. One or two were occupied by other women, their women, who like me had babies.

"They call it a maternity ward." Adora said as she answered my silent question.

"It's a special place for giving birth."

Amelie was more occupied by the new life I'd delivered to the world. Constantly touching and stroking her head as she suckled against my breast.

"They let you come?" I said.

"Yes. They fetched us." Adora answered.

I was confused. These people I thought of as monsters were treating us well.

"The others?" I asked still expecting there to be some horror lurking that I was yet to discover.

"They questioned each of us about the City and the village. Then we were taken back to that strange shelter and given more food.

"They haven't... hurt anyone?"

"No.

They're being kind. They've brought us seating and raised beds, like this one." She said indicating the thing I was sitting up on.

"So comfortable. I'd say even better than our furs."

That's true. My bed was comfortable.

"Who are they? Do you know?"

"Their people are called Military I think. I've never heard of them."

I had. That was a word from my schooling. Amelie remembered to.

"They're the ones who destroyed the world in the final days." She said solemnly.

"Except the world isn't destroyed." I commented still trying to make sense of conflicting facts.

Amelie didn't answer.

It was all so confusing.

I let Amelie take my baby when she'd finished feeding, cradling her against her own growing bump. She was slowly rocking the peaceful form, no doubt aware that in a few moons, she would have her own small addition.

We would bring them up together. Firm friends as we were. More than that. She was my Second. I hers. And now we were all we had.

But then I worried what world we were bringing our children into.

"I'm going to name her Annalise. That's what Quillan wanted." I said forcing away my fears.

Adora smiled.

"Did he tell you why he liked that name?"

"No."

"It was our mothers."

Her eyes were red with tears as she gave a laugh of happiness tinged with sadness. I felt myself welling up as I understood the significance.

"It's beautiful." Amelie offered.

The man who had questioned me in the hall came soon after Adora and Amelie had left. For a moment he just watched me playing with Annalise. I eyed him suspiciously.

"She's like her mother. Very pretty." He said finally.

He didn't sound as scary as he had the first time I'd seen him. He was an older man. At the end of his life cycle if he'd been of the City. And yet here he was, full of life. In a position of authority. That was something I could only relate to through Quillan's leadership of the village. It hadn't existed in the City. Everyone had been more or less equal as individuals.

"Thank you." I said.

He pulled up a seat and sat down. Somehow he was becoming less threatening by the moment.

All the same, I pulled Annalise protectively to my breast and let her suckle.

"What is this place? Who are you?"

He smiled.

"Remnants of an old world. Custodians of the old knowledge. We're lots of things."

His eyes flicked around the room.

"This was an airforce base in the old days. Generations ago. None of the aircraft fly now. Our grandparents were the last to take to the skies. Perhaps sixty years ago. The last of the fuel. We still maintain a couple, just to keep the know-how alive."

"Years?"

"What you call a cycle. Once around the sun."

He spun a finger around in the air as if to emphasize the point.

"We're the descendants of airforce... soldiers that kept people safe. We follow in the footsteps of our parents and they followed their parents. Tradition."

I knew the word soldier.

"You're fighters."

"Yes. If we have to. But only to protect others."

Soldiers didn't protect. They destroyed. The Protector had been clear about that.

"Who? Who do you protect?"

He drew a breath.

"No one for a long, long time. But now. Villagers. Like yourselves."

"Protecting us from what?"

"The City."

"No.

You're preparing for war. That's what soldiers do. They destroyed the world. That's why the City exists."

He sighed as if I was a foolish ignorant child.

"Protector has attacked three more villages other than yours. Two that we trade with. War is coming whether we prepare or not. But it isn't us that made it.

We haven't destroyed anything. But we will destroy the City if we have to."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because we want your help."

I was bemused.

"My help?

I'm nobody. I was a dancer. And in the village, I helped look after children.

You're very powerful. You have sticks that spit fire and flying things that can destroy the drones. How could I help you?"

"You know the City. You know how to enter it unseen. The tunnels. And the layout inside.

We could destroy Protector and the City easily. But several thousand people are living there. People like you. They didn't ask to be there and they know no other life.

Protector is showing that it's a danger to everyone who lives outside. We need to end that danger, but without hurting anyone. But we don't want the innocents to become victims."

"Like you destroyed the world before?"

"You keep saying that. You've seen the world. Is it what Protector told you?"

"No. But everyone knows what you did."

"Everyone? You mean those who the Protector told? Did Protector tell you this was a barren wasteland where nothing could live?"

"Yes."

As I answered I saw the stupidity of what I was saying. Two minds. Still one indoctrinated by Protector and my schooling. And one that saw the trees and animals. And people.

He waited before speaking again. He could see my inner battle as those thoughts filtered in.

He shuffled in his seat as if readying himself for some great revelation.

"It's not completely untrue. The world was destroyed to an extent. There was a war and soldiers like me, my ancestors, fought in that war. It was long ago and no one alive today saw it. Over a hundred years ago."

"A hundred? Protector teaches that it was a thousand cycles."

He shook his head.

"Not that long ago. But long enough."

"What happened?"

I decided I couldn't trust Protector's teachings. It wouldn't hurt to hear another version.

"Some of what I believe Protector told you. Too many people. Too few resources. Someone tried to take someone else's land and water. And yes, soldiers went to war to protect their people. But back then we had weapons far more powerful than you can imagine and our cities were raised to the ground.

Eventually, the war ended and the survivors rebuilt as best they could. Some, an elite. Those with money and resources built your City. A city of the future they claimed would be a place of peace and harmony. The rest farmed and lived simply. As your friends did in the village.

Our ancestors did what they knew how to do. They remained soldiers. Watching over the villages. But with time, we became smaller and less powerful. Our aircraft and machines stopped working. Broken or without fuel. And of course, the enemy didn't come again. Not one from outside at least.

Some people went to the villages and now there are only a few hundred of us left. But we still do as we were trained. And we train the next generation to do the same."

What he said made sense. More sense than those images of red skies and dusty, lifeless soil.

"And what do you want from me?"

"Only that you show us what's inside the City. To tell us where Protector is.

And... to take us inside. Guide us through the tunnels."

"I can't show you where Protector is. Protector is everywhere."

"Protector has a source. He or it is somewhere. Somewhere special and unique."

I shook my head.

"I don't know where that is."

"You do. You just don't know it."

Eleven

Over the next two moons, I grew stronger. The villagers were settled on the land inside what the Ancients, the soldiers, whatever, called the Base. They helped build new huts and plowed fields. They showed what was left of our hunters, just Morten and a handful of others, where the prey could be found.

Morten also took on the role of leader. Not by design, but more by default. He was young and strong. And he demonstrated that same fearlessness that had so marked Quillan out from the rest. People naturally turned to him.

I tried to help where possible but I was exhausted at first. Even with Adora and Amelie helping to look after Annalise and Lyra it took time to tone my body and regain the strength I'd had before giving birth.

The soldier man they called Colonel kept coming to take me to the ugly hall. Again and again, I met with other people who like him seemed to be leaders of this base. What I'd thought were names, Colonel, Captain and others I eventually deduced were titles and there was a hierarchy to them. All very complicated in my mind.

I wasn't questioned and prodded like a curiosity any longer though. Now they treated me respectfully and sought my knowledge while explaining things to me.

They had pictorial images of the City which were called plans and maps, on similar material to the old magazines. Paper they told me it was called. I recognized the pictures easily. Just lines, but I could make out the various buildings and meeting places. I understood what I was looking at.

"Can you draw where the tunnels are under the city?"

The Colonel handed me a small stick which I looked at with bemusement. He took it back momentarily and demonstrated that the pointed end left marks when rubbed on the paper.

It felt awkward in my hand.

"The exit is here."

The stick felt scratchy but I easily made a mark. Then I drew a line.

"The tunnel was straight so I can only think this is where it runs.

And here's where we got in, by the Cleaning Services pool."

"Are the cleaners people?"

"No. Machines. There's no one in that area. And the machines don't watch you. They just clean."

"Who does watch you?"

The drones. And the Enforcers"

"How many Enforcers? Do they have weapons?"

"I don't know. Not that many. You might see two or three during the day. And no. No weapons.

They're no different to me apart from their garment colors and the eyepieces they wear. They read us, know what we're feeling. They can tell if we lie."