Magical Mist

Story Info
Whrn thr mist comees, anyone might arrive.
5.4k words
4.58
10.6k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,518 Followers

Copyright Oggbashan June 2017/January 2020

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

+++

"Remember to expect unexpected guests whenever the visibility is bad. If there is thick mist, people get lost. If there is thick mist unexpectedly in spring or summer, or any time of the year, you'll need to be prepared for almost anything, or anyone. The usual arrivals like that have come from a life-threatening situation and will need help. When the mist goes, so will they -- suddenly and without warning."

My grandfather repeated those words to me often. He even included them as a note attached to his will that left me the remote house on the moor. The house on the moor and the surrounding land was the only bequest directly to me. The bulk of his estate was left to his children but I was the only one of his children or grandchildren who had really liked that house. He had told me that the last time he had an unexpected arrival it was a group of Spanish fishermen whose boat had struck uncharted rocks and was sinking. When they vanished from the farm they found themselves back but standing on a nearby beach about two hundred yards from the wreck of their boat which only had the mast showing.

The house had been part of a sheep farm on the moor belonging to my great-grandfather. It had been requisitioned by the Army during the Boer War to train Horse Artillery. After the First World War the farm had been given back to my grandfather. The Army had built a fort with a stable block, demolished the farmhouse, which was no loss since it was ramshackle, and had built an officers' mess with basic barrack accommodation for the batmen and training staff.

During the 1920s my great-grandfather, helped by his son, had tried and failed to run it as a sheep farm again. What had saved their finances was the barracks. They had made it into a basic Youth Hostel which brought in useful cash. My grandfather had studied accountancy, qualified, and worked in the City of London. During World War 2 the Army had requisitioned the farm again. My great-grandfather was killed while an over-age Air Raid Warden in Plymouth. During World War 2 grandfather had originally been a Pay Corps officer in the Army in North Africa and Italy, returning unscathed despite becoming an infantry officer at the time of Monte Cassino. When he retired the moorland farm was no more than the family's weekend and holiday retreat. Our home was a modern villa near Sevenoaks in Kent. His sons and daughters married and set up homes for themselves with grandfather's financial help. By the time he died all of them owned substantial unencumbered properties. None of the family members were seriously rich but all were comfortably off.

I had started work as a teacher before I had established myself as an author of school text books with a profitable sideline in Science Fiction. I married but my wife Anne contracted breast cancer and died before we had started a family. I missed Anne. She had been my best friend as well as my wife. Her income as another teacher had helped support us for the first couple of years when I became a full time author. Anne's expensive life insurance payout had made me financially independent. That was no real comfort when I had lost her. Twenty years later the ache of her loss was beginning to be bearable. Then my grandfather died too.

Once grandfather's probate had been settled I sold my house and moved to the moorland house. I had a couple of years of resident builders before I had all the facilities I needed to work there. I was pleased that now I didn't have to drive twenty miles to get phone reception, nor to use the local pub's Wi-Fi to submit my work to my publishers.

The house was built in a square around a central courtyard. One side of the square had been the stables, another side had been the barracks, later the Youth Hostel, the third side contained the living rooms, dining rooms, a cloakroom and kitchen, and the fourth side a dozen bedrooms, now all equipped with ensuite bathrooms. The builders had installed a diesel generator in one of the stables, converted another stable into my study with a small kitchen and cloakroom, a third into the communications hub with a massive satellite dish for fast broadband and telephones and CCTV covering all the approaches to the house.

The oil fuel tanks were in another of the former stables. All the buildings had blank outside walls and were entered under an archway. For some unexplained reason the doors to the courtyard were armoured and the all of the walls were built three or four times the thickness necessary. Perhaps they were afraid the trainee gunners might hit the house by mistake?

If I had unexpected guests who were unwelcome, perhaps dangerous, I could retreat into the former stables and be protected from anything short of a modern tank or heavy artillery. I could even have withstood a siege with basic supplies, running water and communications to the outside world. But that was nonsense. Anyone who came that far across the moor was usually friendly.

From time to time the former Youth Hostel was used by groups such as Boy Scouts or Girl Guides. It was self-contained. The groups could use it without any involvement from me. If I was away, the landlord of the nearest pub had a spare key to the Hostel. Even when people used it in an emergency when weather-bound, all of them left it neat and tidy. People who would walk twenty miles across a moor tend to respect those who help them.

I had an older LandRover that I used to go shopping and to bring in supplies. Usually I rode an old Ariel Trials motorcycle to go to the local Post Office or Bank, and to collect my post left at the public house.

+++

That winter had continued unusually warm after a hot dry summer the year before. Some of the local streams had dried up and there hadn't been enough winter rainfall to replenish them. My water supply from a deep well was secure and I had rainwater in tanks under the yard. An old fashioned cast iron pump could draw the water up for gardening or washing the LandRover but I also had a small stationary engine driving another pump if necessary. I sometimes used that for pressure washing. My electricity supply depended on the available diesel to top up the solar panels. The pump produced enough water pressure without using the electricity. The stationery engine would run on almost any liquid fuel.

The only action I had taken as a result of my grandfather's words had been to install orange rotating lights, like those used on contractors' vehicles, on all four corners of the building and on the small tower below the satellite dish. If it was misty I would turn them on. It had helped two or three walking groups to orientate themselves. Once they had identified my location on their maps they could get off the moor following the track. Only once had a school party arrived out of the mist as a result of my lights. They had incompetent leaders. I had to lead them off the moor myself. I received a few letters of thanks after that, one from their head teacher, several from the pupils, and a couple from their parents.

But I had never had the unexpected guests my grandfather mentioned.

+++

A cold front swept across the moor after what had been a bright and sunny late December morning. Suddenly the mist descended. It could have been a low cloud. I was busy writing a sequel in my series of successful Science Fiction novels when the daylight suddenly darkened. I saved the document, closed some of the open windows, and remembered to turn on the orange lights. A rapid change of weather like that could catch people out.

It started to rain heavily. I thought that would clear the mist. It didn't. I shut down my document and walked around checking that windows and doors were shut. The tower was the last place I checked. I could barely see ten yards beyond my walls. A window was slightly open. As I reached to shut it I heard a voice shouting in the mist. I peered out, seeing nothing but the mist. I hurriedly shut the window and ran down to the main door, grabbing my torch.

"Hello!" I shouted, waving the torch around.

I heard a faint sound in the distance. I walked towards it. The mist wouldn't bother me. I know every inch of the moor for miles around.

Suddenly I saw a group of people wearing very bulky clothing. I know the moor can be awkward by they were overdressed even for our worst winter. I walked towards them. They seemed to be staggering as if from extreme exhaustion. I wasn't surprised. The three of them were dragging a heavy sledge. In England in the rain!

"Who are you?" a woman asked indistinctly, as if very tired.

"That doesn't matter," I said, "let's get you inside out of the rain."

That was easier said than done. They wouldn't leave the sledge. The fourth person was on it, unable to walk. I helped them to drag it through the gate before pushing and shoving them into the old Youth Hostel block. I had to carry the fourth. I sat them down on the old settees and started stripping off their heavy outer clothing. There were layers and layers of it. They were so exhausted they were little help.

I found out that they were four young women only after I had removed a couple of outer layers from each of them. As far as I could see they were fit but desperately exhausted. I stopped stripping them to make gallons of thick vegetable soup in the youth hostel kitchen. Three of them grabbed the first mugs as if they were lifesaving. I could see that their hands were shaking so I only part filled each mug. I had to feed the woman who had been on the sledge.

Their skin was incredibly cold, far colder than temporary inclement weather in December justified. All their clothing crackled as if the material was frozen. It was!

How was that possible? I didn't know but I tried to deal with them as if they had hypothermia. I kept topping up their mugs of soup. I lit the fire already laid. I would have started the central heating but I wasn't sure it would work just in this room, or that the controls would turn it on with the fire burning I could and did turn on the electric heating in the drying room.

As the fire began to warm the room all of them started shivering. I touched one of them on the shoulder. Her sweater was frozen solid.

"I'll have to get you out of those clothes," I said. "They're too cold."

"Do it..." one of the women said.

I took that as consent. I had to strip off my own sweater because the fire was getting hot. None of them could help me as I peeled layer after layer of frozen clothing. I would have left their panties and bras but they too were bitterly cold. Soon I had four naked women on the large settee facing the fire. I was too worried about their condition to do more than notice that they were well proportioned. I brought warm towels from the hostel's drying room before wrapping each of them. They didn't resist or help as I worked.

Once I had them reasonably covered I left the room to search for some clothing. I knew there were some track suits in a cupboard for use if guests had arrived soaking wet. I piled them in the drying room to warm up.

Back in front of the fire I started to dry the woman who had been on the sledge. She was almost unconscious. By the time I had dried every inch of her and wrapped her again one of the other women was taking an interest in what I was doing. I decided, since she was the most alert, that I would dry the other two first. As I finished the second one, the alert woman spoke.

"I'm jealous," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"They're dry. I'm not."

"You will be," I replied moving to her.

I unwrapped her carefully. She was able to wriggle a little to help me. As I rubbed her down she seemed to be enjoying the attention. By the end she was almost purring as I stroked her with the towel. She moved her hand to stroke the side of my face as I was drying her legs.

"Thank you," she said. "You have saved our lives."

"Saved? Once here you were in no danger."

"But where is here? As far as I know there was nothing like this place within a hundred miles." she said.

"I'm not that far from civilisation," I retorted.

"But we were. We were on the way back to our base but less than a mile away when we were caught by a snowstorm."

"I don't think you would believe me if I told you where you are, so I'll wait until all of you have recovered. Do you want some more soup?"

"Yes, but first I would like to know who stripped and dried me so effectively. I'm Carol. You are?"

"James, normally known as Jim. Welcome to my house, Carol."

"House? This looks more like a hostel, Jim."

"This part is. It was the closest place to bring you to warm up."

I gave her some more soup. The others accepted refilled mugs. I was relieved to see that all four were able to hold the mugs. They were recovering from the extreme cold. I brought the warmed track suits so they could get dressed.

"Jim, we need an explanation..." Carol started to say. The other three nodded.

"I'm not sure I can give one," I replied. "I don't know how you got here from where you were."

"Where are we?" Another woman asked. She had been the one on the sledge.

"Before that, I think we need introductions," Carol said. "Helen just asked where we were. That's Amy, and that's June. I know you are Jim."

"Hello, Carol, Helen, Amy and June," I said. "Where are we? You won't believe it but you are on Exmoor in Devon..."

"In England!" June spluttered.

"Yes. In England. Where were you?" I asked.

"We were on Antarctica," Carol replied, "in a survey base, to take weather statistics. We'd left the base to check some instruments about a mile and a half away..."

"And then?" I prompted as Carol's voice stopped.

"We got caught in a blizzard, a complete whiteout," Helen continued. "It was bad enough before because the daylight is so short."

"It's my fault," Carol said.

The three others objected.

"It was," Carol insisted. "We should have stopped, pitched the tent, and waited. Instead we were in a hurry, nearly lost the sledge in a crevasse we didn't see, and lost all our navigational equipment. We were lost with no means of finding a direction back to base."

"And I had to be hauled out of the crevasse," Amy said, "I lost my gloves, tore my trousers, and got very cold. If we hadn't been tied together I would be dead."

"When we saw your lights we couldn't believe that they were real," Helen said. "As far as we know we were miles from any habitation on Antarctica except our own base which didn't have rotating orange lights. But we were desperate. Half an hour more, and we would all have been dead, frozen stiff. But now we are warm, dry, fed and in England. How?"

"I have no idea," I answered, "but you are not the first."

I explained about my grandfather's will and his note.

"We need to dry out and warm up your extreme weather clothing. If my grandfather is right, when the mist goes, so will you, and you need to be prepared to be back on Antarctica."

"And then lost again with no navigational equipment, Jim. We would die."

"Does Sat-Nav work on Antarctica?" I asked.

"Yes, it would, but we've lost the equipment," Amy replied.

"I have no idea when the mist will go so I think you need to be prepared. Your clothing will be dry and warm. I've got a basic sat-nav device which you can have. It's not as accurate as more modern ones but will give a position within 20 metres. That accurate enough?"

"Much better than not knowing in which direction to go, Jim," Amy said.

"OK. I'll get it and some more food. I'll be as quick as I can. If the mist lifts..."

"We'll be back on Antarctica, unless this is a dream?" Helen said.

"It's no dream," I said.

I held out my hand to touch Helen. She took it in hers and pulled me into a kiss."

"If it is, Jim, you are the nicest part of it."

"But before it ends, I'd better get you that sat-nav and some food."

I went to my house, found the sat-nav and loaded a four wheeled hand trolley with a casserole out of my freezer, about forty self-heating army rations and a couple of dozen blocks of Kendal Mint Cake. I put the rations and the mint cake on their sledge. I gave the sat-nav to Helen and showed her how it worked. I also gave her some postcards of the house on the moor which had the address and my email on it.

I turned on the oven in the hostel's kitchen to warm up while I defrosted the casserole in the microwave. While the casserole was cooking I fed them some more thick soup.

I went up in the tower and looked out. The mist was still there and seemed even thicker. On the way back I carried all their cold weather clothing, now dry and warm, back to the hostel's living room. It would be fatal for them if they ended back on Antarctica in the bad weather without suitable clothing.

After the meal they decided they didn't want to move away from the fire. They brought several mattresses from the dormitories and settled down to go to sleep. But they didn't sleep. They stripped themselves and me before the four of them wrapped themselves around me.

I protested but Carol told me they were all on the pill so I couldn't make any of them pregnant. Almost as soon as she had said that she eased my erection inside her. I wasn't sure that Carol was real. She felt very real as she bounced up and down on me. So did the others. My fingers were in two warm clefts and the third was across my lips. Carol had several orgasms while my disbelief kept me from going too far.

Helen replaced Carol and by the end of the night Amy and June had also ridden me very effectively. Shortly before dawn I could not hold on any longer as June squeezed my erection and my head was surrounded by three pairs of warm soft breasts. I went to sleep, exhausted and very happy to have met four very attractive young ladies.

I woke up about ten o'clock. Apart from the fire and the mattresses there was no sign they had ever been there. I went up the tower and looked out at a bright sunny day with visibility for miles. I checked where the sledge had been. It had gone, as had the food I had put on it.

+++

Three days later I received an email from Carol at their base on Antarctica

"Thank you, Jim, for everything. We found ourselves back on Antarctica but dry in warm clothing. We pitched the tent and huddled inside it until the blizzard ended, as we should have done when it started. The self-heating rations kept us going, and the Kendal Mint Cake was wonderful. The sat-nav showed us we were about three-quarters of a mile from our base but the conditions were appalling and life-threatening. It was two days before the blizzard stopped and we could make it to our base, where we now are, reluctant to go out again until our relief ship arrives.

We should be back in England in late January and intend to visit you then. We hope you won't object. This time we won't need saving."

I replied to their email and was surprised that it took two days before it was marked as delivered. Carol's reply explained why. Their communication was by a satellite dish that got iced up and covered with windblown snow which they had to remove by hand. The weather they were recording on Antarctica was the worst and coldest at that time of the year of any since research stations had been set up there.

Over the next few days emails between the four of them and me were sent and received. I got to know the four of them far more than I had during their short stay in the magical mist. I had been to the local library and consulted books on the history of the area. According to one 19th century account the original farm house had been built on the remains of any ancient stone circle. Oral tradition had been that the stone circle had been a gateway to another world and on a significant ley line. I still didn't know how the four came from Antarctica to Exmoor.

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,518 Followers
12