All Comments on 'Mail Order Bride'

by Alex De Kok

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Loved it!

Well crafted tale, you are a great writer!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
great story

great story. Loved it.

carlieplumcarlieplumover 11 years ago
Lovely

thanks for sharing it!

mcollectmcollectover 11 years ago
Thanks

It was well written and a wonderful story

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great story...

... well told. It is a relief to read a story which is grammatically correct. Just one small criticism: when Jim says that on a whim he put the Coltin his belt, it was obvious that the showdown with Calloway would happen while they were out of their home.

FLacLoverFLacLoverover 11 years ago
Well written

As one who dabbles in writing myself, I congratulate you on putting together a good plot, well defined characters, a touch of gentle erotica, and a fine use of good, literate English. That combination is not easy to manage, yet this looks effortless (I know that it is NOT like that). I would, and if I'm lucky, will, read more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
just one correction

Great story - well written and lovable, if a little predictable. In my opinion, nothing wrong with that! Just one correction - during their first lovemaking, Libby calls Jim by "Tom". It's confusing and could be misinterpreted. Other than that, it's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Alex De KokAlex De Kokover 11 years agoAuthor
Thank you, anonymous

Thank you for the 'heads up' on the Jim/Tom mix-up. No excuses, I screwed up! A corrected version has been submitted and should appear seamlessly in a day or three.

Alex

DarcyDaydreamDarcyDaydreamover 11 years ago
Well done

Well-written, romantic and (for a pleasant change) realistic and historically accurate. Thanks!

werewolfzingywerewolfzingyover 11 years ago
nice one

that was a nice story keep it up

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I like!

Well done, nicely written and no gaffs about the historical period. Are you a reenactor perchance? Good tight plot and the sex is well written too. Thanks for a great read!

RhomanovRhomanovabout 11 years ago
Well written!

And a joy to read!

Thx!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Historical Anomaly

You describe how our hero teaches his new bride how to fire his "colt" pistol and how to load it with ball, powder and percussion caps. In the 1880's certainly all pistols used cartridges (i.e. "bullets") and the single shot weapons using ball and powder were heading for museums. Even if this were not the case there is no way that Libby could fire successive shots into Calloway from a ball and powder weapon. Drop the reference to teaching Libby how to load a ball, powder and percussion cap weapon and you'll be OK.

Karavas41Karavas41almost 11 years ago
Gone - but not forgotten

Yes, anonymous, few percussion revolvers were made after the 1860s (in the USA anyway) but percussion revolvers were in use right up ro the Great War. People could not afford to give u a good pistol because there were better ones available. My grandfather was still carrying his Adams revolver when my father was born in 1906. My cousins still have it and I played with it as a child.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Colt .36 Navy Revolver

The gun described at the beginning of this story does indeed use a cap and ball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy_Revolver

auhunter04auhunter04over 10 years ago
.36 Walch Navy

this is a cap and ball pistol that showed up around the end of the Civil War.\. If my memory is working right it was a 12 cylinder rather than the "6 \of the "he day

mickymouse113mickymouse113over 10 years ago
Loved it

Would have liked it slightly longer but then I loved it!

Storm113Storm113about 10 years ago
5 stars

the only problem here is i gave your other stories i liked 5 stars and i like this one even more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Five Stars

This story was amazingly written and has a great plot. It's completely original and I enjoyed it very much. The sex included was gentle and realistic, unlike all the other erotic stories I have encountered. I expect more stories like this, for this was wonderful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
ONE STAR !!

What a talentless and inept drivel, boring as hell !

SplitAcesSplitAcesabout 9 years ago
Outstanding!

Great characters, with character! Five stars!

steven857steven857about 9 years ago
Good Story

Good Story -The story could easily be continued which would help with more character development. But a very good start to what could be along story.

I always wonder why "Anonymous" attempts put down others

rightbankrightbankabout 9 years ago
what a wonderful romance

well written. plot driven. and just enough historical intrigue to keep it interesting.

thank you

jenellesljenelleslabout 9 years ago
An Excellent Tale

This was a lovely tale. I'm a romantic at heart and this played right to me. The mechanics of the writing was well done. If there were any grammatical or spelling issues, I didn't notice. I cared about the characters. This sounds like it could be the start of Little House on the Prairie.

This is not the first story of yours I've read, and won't be the last.

Anonymous is negative because they are jealous of your abilities. They are never able to point to one of their stories as an example of "good" writing.

Thank you for this lovely story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Very Good

This is the best story that I have read on Literotica.

pcthronepcthronealmost 8 years ago
@Alex De Kok

Very Nice story.I liked the overall stories concept. But the part about libby & Jim getting intimate just 2nd night of getting married felt a little rushed.You could've just portrayed that part you know kind of getting to know more about each other.Taking slow one thing at a time.Just like arranged marriage they are almost strangers & that takes time to adjust & Trust each other than getting physical intimacy.

Ok anyways i don't what the mind set of people was during that time period & its your story. Just would've loved to read about slow romance building up.

NaturalnaughtyNaturalnaughtyover 7 years ago
Love this!

I've read this story several times, you think maybe I like it! Its beautiful! Thank you for this gift of words:-)

sviedsviedabout 7 years ago
@pcthrone

I agree that a slow romance would have been fun to read. However, in many ways this story was far more accurate to the mindset of the time.

Sharing a bed was synonymous with sex and a wife giving her man nookie was literally seen as a wife's duty, something to be done regularly even if unpleasant. She gave in so quickly for those two reasons, as far as I see it. If he was to use the bed with her there was to be nookie. :-P

The idea of her feeling a need to push herself actually makes more sense than the slow build up that we often think of today. Today you often build slowly to sex but before marriage, before that commitment. We also don't have the same cultural values, as a whole, that sex is a requisite duty of marriage. We all assume you'd want to (I think). If the sex is unpleasant you wouldn't marry. (There's flaws with that outlook and approach but that's a discussion for another time and probably another site. :-)

sviedsviedabout 7 years ago
Oh, and also

I really enjoyed that he let her set the pace because that is not really period but shows him to be solid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Enjoyed your story very much. I will be checking out the others tonight.

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Another good 'un

Another lesson in how to do it.

Thank you

HP

MachariusMachariusover 5 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for this fine story!

Sadly I could only give 5 🌟 for it, wish it could be more!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Good . . .

Dearest Alex De Kok,

Good story, good writing, good detail, good characters. Overall this is worth reading, possibly, re-reading.

GG

MusicGuy4FunMusicGuy4Funover 3 years ago

Totally charming

My wife and I loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
OH hell yeah!

5 Stars, loved it...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Loved this one 5 stars

Life back then was much more austere than this story describes. I remember reading a true account of a couple that was very fond of each other. When they were married 12 years her husband kissed his wife for the first time ever.

auhunter04auhunter04about 3 years ago

'tis one you must be proud of.. Those were simpler times and to some harder times. It should come to no surprise that many wives were 'Soiled Doves'. I often wonder if we haven't become too soft as a nation. I am 71, wife died some time back and I am lonely but there are few that are interested in a man such as I. The dating sites seem to only be a trap for my money.

Time were simpler then when $50 could easily be the total cash needed as there were gardens and game. Later people started keeping cows for milk and calves for market and beef. Yes I am a country boy of sorts.

Ahem, should any lady be interested in a man such as i, you can contact me through the site. Shameless advertising ---

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A good tale of the old west. Nice little summary for the ending. I'm the one who appreciates a proper finish to a story. :-)

Allegedly_LiterateAllegedly_Literateover 2 years ago

Reread this and it was as good as the first time. Good enough to publish. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I think you captured the spirit of the women in the west more than you know. She had made up her mind to be a wife and everything that entailed and was determined to make the most of it. My grandmother raised ten kids in a soddie in western Kansas. They were tough women. Their lot in life and work was every bit as hard as their husbands. We tend to hear of the hardships, but there was genuine partnership and love there too.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

I’d have dearly liked this to be at least twice as long, but as the song goes “We don’t always get what we wish for”, good story, good characters, but the scene setting at times was a bit thin, but well worth a 5/5.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I worked with a man who’s grandmother was married as such. She came into town as planned on Thursday. The minister had several young men to meet her on Friday she choose one and they were married for 62 years.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

An enjoyable story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlex De Kok@Alex De Kok
1366 Followers
July 13, 2023 - As some of you have no doubt realised, I'm writing again, albeit very slowly. My late wife was a writer as well, although not on Literotica, and I think she would have wanted me to continue. May 24, 2021 - I haven't posted anything for some time now, and it ma...

SIMILAR Stories