Making a Deal Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He stopped and squeezed his eyes shut. "Let me give you a gift. No debt. Nothing owed. Please, just let us love each other. If we can't do that..."

A ragged wail keening from her lips was Michelle's only response before she fled, before she ran from his presence and shut herself in her room. Ed's only response was to fall onto the couch in defeat and make plans for the end.

__________

It was, in a moment of kismet, only the next night that it all came to a head.

Michelle had stayed in her room for nearly a full day after Ed told her such wonderful, terrible things, and she felt like her mind was going to split in two. In her hands she held her diary, along with a quivering pen poised over the latest line she'd mustered up the courage to finally write.

~He owns my body, but only wants my heart~

She was trying, she could give herself that much. She wanted, desperately, to do as he asked and believe that he trusted her again. But how could he? Every time she thought she might let herself believe it, she remembered how fucking twisted and horrible she really was. How she'd let herself do things she once would have sworn she'd never do, even if tortured.

She did do them, though, and it hadn't taken torture... it only took compromise.

And now the man she had given herself to completely was asking for another compromise. Required another for him to keep loving her, and she just couldn't let herself. She couldn't trust herself.

I am broken. I am nothing. She looked at down at her arms once, then picked the pen and diary back up. Time for one more entry.

~He never asked about the scars on my wrists because he doesn't want to cause me more pain~

Maybe it was time. Maybe she should finish what she'd hesitatingly started the day she ran from the home that she and her husband had built. Maybe it was the last, best thing she could do for her sweetest; force him to let her go, since she knew she would never be able to do the same with him.

A loud knock at the front door penetrated both Michelle's bedroom wall and her black thoughts. When she heard Ed open it, then say nothing, she grew curious despite herself and ventured out after donning a thick robe like it was a suit of armor.

When she saw him, he was just standing at the open door looking out at no one, but seeming to be holding something. "...Ed? Who was that?" Her voice was timid, beyond what it had been since her return and her new existence. Her ex-husband looked... delicate. Like he was struggling somehow. Still in the dark, her heart nonetheless went out to him. "Sweetest... what's wrong? Please talk to me."

In response, he merely thrust his hand back behind him at her without turning around. He was holding what looked like a folded note, and motioned wordlessly for her to take it. Swallowing, she did so, and opened it with shaky fingers.

--Edward, I know that you are testing her. Consider this her final. When she fails, come back to me.--

Michelle knew who it was from immediately, but that knowledge really did nothing to shed light on what was happening. After long, empty seconds, Ed finally spoke, though still without looking at her.

"She is perceptive, if nothing else. I always knew that." He gave a rueful laugh. "I just wish I was half as much."

"Ed, please, what did Katja leave? What's she done now?"

He took a deep breath, looked up at the ceiling as if for salvation... then finally turned to face her.

That was when Michelle collapsed to her knees, every ounce of strength having left her.

"So here we are, Michelle." Ed stared inscrutably down at her on the floor. "You have a choice. I need a wife, not a pet, now more than ever. Is that going to be you?" He took a step towards her, his face now betraying how vulnerable he really was. "Can you take a gift? Will you give one?"

Michelle didn't answer. She didn't answer, because she finally believed him. She knew he was right. She knew she had to take a leap, one way or the other.

It was time to choose.

Epilogue

Kathryn ran her hand down the ornately-carved blue door and smiled. "You were right, it's gorgeous. I'm glad they didn't get rid of it." Behind her, she heard a sniffle, and she had to laugh. "Oh geez, you're just going to keep up the waterworks, aren't you?"

She was trying to keep the words light, but they both knew that she wanted to join in. It'd been a rough couple of weeks, to say the least.

"I'm glad too, baby. I'm very, very glad." The voice was struggling to firm itself, but it was getting there. "I can't believe it's mine now, after so many years."

Kathryn twirled a lock of her long, golden hair around a finger and turned back to the woman with her. "The sale's complete, so believe it. Welcome home... again." Now it was her turn with the tremulous voice as she reached out and ran a hand along the beautiful urn being cradled in front of her. "Dad... he came through. Gave them an offer they couldn't refuse. His..." She choked up and had to rasp out the end. "His last gift."

Michelle lost it, and the aforementioned waterworks started back up. She lifted her own hand and cupped her daughter's cheek, marveling for the millionth time at how much that beloved face looked like her soulmate's.

Of course, that came right along with stuffing for the millionth-and-first time the thought of how those blue eyes and fair, lustrous hair came from a different source. The marveling was a joy, the stuffing easy. This was her daughter, genetics be damned.

She moved past Kathryn and turned the knob, opened the door, and stepped in. She was home. Welcome back, sweetest. She hugged the urn to her chest, glad that it was sterling silver and not about to crack from the incredible pressure she was putting on it. Thank-you for my life.

"You okay, mom?" Kathryn had a hand on her shoulder, rubbing it in comfort.

Michelle laughed. What answer could she give? "You were right, this is a gift, but not the biggest one he ever gave me."

She studied the girl... no, the woman in front of her, and made a decision. "I... think it's time for me to finally tell you about the day you were first put into my arms. They day I broke a deal... and started living."