Making Home Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, just too painful for you, huh, Eli?"

"Not really." I rubbed Avery's shoulder. This was a shit show. I hadn't seen Ophelia in here since we had separated. I knew she couldn't afford it, but apparently her new fiance could. I prayed that Avery wasn't too perturbed by the awkward meeting.

"You didn't answer my question," Avery quipped. "Who are you? What do you do?"

Ophelia laughed. "Who am I? Seriously? I don't need to do anything. I do whatever I please. Which is more than a sniveling little teenager gets to do. How old are you, hon? Eighteen? Nineteen?"

I gritted my teeth. "Phea, that's enough."

I looked over and to my surprise, Avery just smiled. I felt a hand slide along my thigh and squeeze.

She sat a little straighter. "Old enough to know better than to waste my time with you. You heard Eli. You're not welcome at our table. Please leave."

I pressed my lips to Avery's temple. "Ignore her, baby. We'll just finish breakfast in bed. We never should have left it in the first place." Avery turned to look at me, that lovely flush back in her cheeks and her eyes subtly wider than before. I took her chin between my thumb and finger, tilting her mouth toward mine. "You should probably leave now, Phea, but it's your choice."

I brushed my lips with hers ever so lightly. Her eyes fluttered closed while she leaned up for more, and I mustered all the strength I had to not give in. Instead, I captured her bottom lip between mine and gave a small tug. The sweetest little whimper escaped her, nearly pulling me back into the moment to relent. But we were in public, and we couldn't get too affectionate whether it was real or not.

When I turned my attention back to Ophelia, she had left toward the exit, an elderly gentleman waiting for her at the podium. I recognized him immediately as Walter Scott, a man who had tried to do advertising with us before, but I had declined due to his strange moral standings. I found it fitting that Ophelia was marrying someone just as she was.

When I looked back down at Avery, her eyes were still closed. I leaned over and pressed my lips to Avery's ear, "You are amazing."

She swallowed and opened her eyes, and gave me a sad smile that tugged at my heart. "Oh. Thanks."

The trip back to the house was silent and uneventful. Avery's energy was weird, but she didn't refuse to interact with me. Her arms around me were tight as ever, but her answers to my questions were short and usually only one or two words. Once we were back in the house, we stored the gear in the downstairs closet while we waited for the delivery man to drop off our food. I took the boots she handed me and set them down next to mine before I closed the door. When I turned to her, she rubbed a palm up and down her arm and looked away.

"Cold?"

She didn't answer and simply shook her head.

"Avery? What's going on?"

She turned from me. "It's nothing."

"It's obviously something. Would you just talk to me? Please?"

She started for the stairs. "I need some space for awhile. I think I'm done hanging out for the day. Thank you for the snowmobile ride."

"Avery."

She ignored me and continued her assent, the soft click of her bedroom door echoing down the stairs.

AVERY

The next day, Mr. Crawford was gone before I came down for breakfast. Clyde was in the kitchen and Amanda was hanging out as usual.

"Morning, pop-tart. You're looking spicy today."

I couldn't help my smile as I sat down at the breakfast bar. "Pop-tart?"

Clyde handed me a steaming cup of coffee. "Mmhmm. You're pale as a pastry with a bit of icing, but you're filled with sweet and tanginess."

I snorted and a bit of coffee threatened to blow through my nose. "That's awful."

"Thank you." He leaned on his elbows. "What's on the agenda today? It sounds like tomorrow you're going on a little road trip with boss man."

"Fantastic."

He patted my hands and turned to work at the stove again. I faintly smelled bacon and heard the gentle sizzle of it in a pan.

"You're picking up Chloe. You'll like her. She's a keeper." He shrugged and used a spatula to lift the meat out of the pan and onto a few paper towels.

A toaster popped and he walked over to it. After a few more moments, he set a plate of full breakfast on the counter in front of me.

"This smells wonderful. Thanks."

"Does boss man know that you have bacon in the fridge?"

"Shh!" Clyde smacked Amanda's hand and she laughed.

"I have to go pick up my books today, but I forgot to ask Mr. Crawford for an advance."

"Just email Pat. She'll fix you up."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Don't trip, chocolate chip." Clyde winked at me.

Amanda pushed back from the breakfast. "Okay, your food names are really starting to get on my nerves. I'm out."

I worked at my breakfast while Clyde told me a little more about his home life. He was born and raised in the midwest and was the second oldest of four boys. In high school he had played baseball and was in orchestra, but really enjoyed home economics and decided to pursue culinary arts and baking. He told me a little about Chloe as well, though he didn't know much. She was younger than Elijah by five years and was working for a publishing company in New York. She enjoyed doing girl things and he was usually sucked into shopping and spa days when she came around to visit. My inner intuition, however, told me that Clyde didn't need much convincing.

I emailed Patricia for the advance and was surprised when I found a full paycheck in my account before I left the house. I would be taking the new car to campus and now I could actually buy my books while wiring Caleb his blackmail money. I would give him whatever was leftover and hold onto a little for my savings.

I had just finished up and paid for all of my books when I received a text message:

"Heard you're in town. Lunch?"

It was Mr. Crawford. I groaned as I licked my lips and contemplated. I was still a little upset over yesterday. I knew I was being immature, but I really thought he was going to kiss me. Not just a tease, but really kiss me. And, I had wanted him to kiss me. Spending time with him would mean that I would have to get over the rejection and move on, but deep down I knew that's what I needed to do. My job necessitated it. I set the heavy texts down in the trunk of the car and quickly typed out a reply:

"Okay. Where?"

Almost immediately I received a message back.

"Heroes gyros. Meet me there in ten?"

"Sure."

I started the car and typed the name of the restaurant into the search bar on my phone to pull up directions. It didn't take me very long before I pulled up next to the restaraunt. When I entered, Mr. Crawford was already seated at a table, a receipt laying between two soda cups. He gave me a smile and I could tell that he was trying to figure out my mood.

I sighed and slumped into the chair across from him. "Hi."

"Hi. Did you get all of your materials for school?"

I nodded. I began to play with the cup.

"I took the liberty of ordering for you. Do you like chicken shawarma?"

I shrugged. I had never had it, but I never turned down food. Mr. Crawford didn't know that, though.

He sighed. "Avery, I don't know what I did wrong. You're going to have to help me, here."

I looked up at him. This was different than his usual threats to end my employment and terminate our agreement.

I swallowed. "It's not you. You didn't do anything. I'm just struggling with something."

My phone buzzed and I looked at the screen. Caleb. He had sent a money request through the app. I groaned and began to send the money, lost in what I was doing. When I finished and looked back up, there was a plate of food in front of me and my cup had been filled.

"Oh. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He took a bite of his own food and gestured toward my plate. "Eat."

I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes at his order and picked up my fork. The food was actually delicious and I hadn't realized how hungry I was. I quickly cleared the plate, sucking down the citrus flavored soft drink he had filled my cup with. When I finished eating, I found him watching me, an amused grin on his face.

"I should be getting back soon."

I picked up the napkin and wiped my mouth. "Yeah. So, Clyde told me that we're going to go pick up your sister tomorrow."

"Yes, though we're driving down to the metro tonight. I have a condo that's relatively close to the airport."

This was news to me. "When were you planning on telling me about all of this?"

"Last night," he answered coolly.

I licked my lips. "Fine." I moved to stand and leave.

"Avery." He stood, his voice was laced with warning this time. "Don't forget who you work for. You have an image to uphold, especially in public establishments."

He was right. I needed to just let it go, but I needed payback. It was the only way I could really find closure with my anger. I walked over to him and pushed up on my toes, my palms against his chest to brace myself as I pressed my lips ever so lightly against his cheek. I lingered for a moment, then brushed my mouth lightly against his, my tongue snaking out briefly to brush his bottom lip, before making my way to his other cheek. His grip on my arms tightened, but I pulled away from him and he relented. The look in his eyes was fire, but I finally felt my anger evolve into contentment.

"Yes, Sir."

12