Manon and Belle, Pt. 04

Story Info
Some things go wrong, some go right.
10.3k words
4.75
913
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Manon and Belle, part 4

Manon's first reaction to Travers' statement was simple disbelief, there was no way the drugs she'd fed those two could be fatal, no matter how sick they were from them.

Her second reaction was to quickly start to prepare. "Belle get up, pull some clothes on, and keep her quiet." Susan was just beginning to react, and looked like she was about to scream, for whatever reason. Belle grabbed her and forced her face down into the pillow on the bunk where she was still lying, which muffled it effectively.

Manon was quickly searching for something in her bag, and came up holding a small packet. It was a piece of waxy paper folded over on itself, holding something in the middle. "Get her up Belle. We said she was sick, so sick she is going to have to be, and there's no time for subtlety. We can't rely on her to cover for us."

Susan was being pulled up by her hair, Belle wasn't being gentle, sensing Manon's urgency. Susan started to wail and cry, but stopped suddenly when Manon slapped her across the face, shocking her. Peeling back the paper revealed a pastille of sticky orange jelly, about the size of a thumbnail and as thick as one of Manon's fingers.

Manon scraped it off the paper with her fingers, and thrust them into Susan's open mouth, making her boggle in surprise. "If you bite me, you will regret it. This won't harm you, but will make you very sick very quickly, now swallow." Manon could feel the pastille had dissolved, so pulled her fingers out of Susan's mouth.

Belle pulled her hair back sharply, forcing Susan's head back as she arched her back to relieve the pain, and coughing a bit, Manon saw Susan swallowing convulsively, looking terrified.

"I'm sorry Susan, I really am. You are going to need the toilet there badly very shortly. For the love of god don't delay getting there when you do." Belle had let Susan go, and she flopped back onto the bunk. Belle was quickly pulling her skirt and blouse on from yesterday on, as Manon did the same with her old skirt and top.

Susan groaned and then burped loudly, and scrambled over to the head on her knees, where she was violently and repeatedly sick, filling the small cabin with the smell of vomit. "Was that the purgative miss?" Belle asked.

"Yes, hard to believe it's a cure, especially if you are in Susan's position. Belle, back to Butler and Astley, unless I drop us out of it. Now sit on the bunk and let me do your stockings, they'll be here any time now."

"Yes miss. Sorry. Dolly, get on with dressing me at once, and ignore that revolting creature," Belle said.

As if on cue, they heard Susan say, "oh god no," and saw her quickly turn around and sit on the seat, hearing and very quickly smelling someone in the grip of violent diarrhoea as Susan groaned and cried, bent almost double on the toilet seat, holding her tummy.

That was how Travers found them when she came back in. She wrinkled her nose at the smell that hit her, "She been like that all night?"

"Much of it, yes, it's most unsatisfactory," Belle said coldly. Manon kept her head down, tying the ribbon around the top of the stockings on Belle's legs.

"Don't suppose she finds it very satisfactory either," Travers replied. "You there, Captain wants you, so stop fannying about down there and come with me." Manon tried her best 'who me?' face out, but Travers just went on staring at her, although she motioned Belle back when she stood up. "Captain didn't say you."

There was another burst of unpleasant sound and smell from Susan, as Travers said, "and besides, someone's going to have to see to that one."

As soon as Manon was out, Travers pushed her forward gently but firmly up the ladder and across the deck. The weather had improved so it wasn't raining, but Manon hadn't had time to put her shoes and stockings on, and could feel the cold damp of the deck chilling her feet, and its rough surface scratching at them.

She was directed down the ladder to the corridor where the Gardners cabin was, but the door to it was closed, unlike the one at the end of the corridor, leading Manon presumed to the Captain's cabin.

Poppy was in there, standing straight and very still, and didn't turn around as Manon came in. She was facing a woman of about 50 who was sitting behind a desk, leaning forward and resting her elbows on it, and only a brief flicker took the woman's gaze off Poppy.

"So you didn't actually see into the cabin when Astley came out?" "Cap'n?" Poppy asked?

"Dolly, then Poppy." "Oh no I didn't cap'n." The captain looked across at another woman who was leaning on the wall to one side watching Poppy. She was also about 50, and lean and tanned, weathered basically. "Tess?" The captain said to her. Tess just nodded,and the captain sighed, "off with you then Poppy."

Travers spoke up from just behind me, "Astley captain."

"Poppy shift yourself to her cabin," Travers said, "that Susan is properly sick and I'm not sure that Miss Butler is the best nurse we could find for her." I heard Poppy run out, but kept my gaze on the captain who in turn was studying me.

"Travers," she said, "take the deck and try to keep the crew from gossiping too much."

"Aye captain," Manon heard and then the door clicked shut behind her.

"So, this is Tess Carter, Miss Astley, my first mate, and also my wife." I bobbed my head a bit, "I'm Captain Harris."

"You went to serve the Gardners this morning?" "Yes Captain," I said, quietly.

"Because their attendant was sick, and your mistress sent you?" Manon was getting the itchy feeling she got when something was going wrong but she hadn't spotted yet what it was. So she just nodded yes, watching the two women who were studying her.

Manon had noticed that the Mate, Carter, was carrying a pistol at her hip. From the quick glance she'd had of it and how it was worn, she was pretty sure that Tess Carter knew how to use it as well.

Manon was rapidly revising her options here. An independent small ship like Ruby didn't have an easy life, and it was highly likely that the Captain and her Mate had dealt with more than their fair share of scoundrels and swindlers in their time, if not worse. The fact that they were still in business suggested that they might be quite good at that.

Manon remembered a phrase her mentor used to use when she was being trained. "Sometimes Manon, the truth is actually useful. Knowing when to use it is the key."

Manon shifted position a bit, standing in a bit more relaxed posture. She'd done it deliberately, but noticed that although the Captain hadn't moved, her eyes had flicked downwards to below her desktop. Manon took that to mean that there was probably another pistol there, out of her sight but within easy reach.

Sighing to herself, Manon decided to start telling the truth, well some of it anyway. "Sorry Captain, that wasn't strictly true."

Manon had spoken in her normal voice, and she could see Carter shift position a bit, standing up and no longer leaning on the wall. The Captain just arched an eyebrow.

"Butler isn't my mistress Captain, in fact I am hers." I said.

"Really?" the captain said. "So before we get to my dead passengers, you'd best explain this subterfuge, and who exactly you are then."

"If I may ask a totally undeserved favour, I'll leave my and my companion's names out of it. We are fugitives captain, running for our lives, which is why the false names and personas. I apologise for the deception, it was not meant as any insult to you or the Ruby."

Manon heard Tess snort behind her, but the captain just kept a steady gaze on her. "If you insist, Captain, I will tell you, but if somehow people track me to Ruby, all you will know is that you've never heard of the names they would ask about."

"I'll let that go for the moment, though I have to say you don't appear to be someone who might need to run for their life. Tell me about this morning."

"I confess my taking Susan's duties this morning was my idea. We prevented her from going. I was angry at their treatment of Susan, which I presume you know about?"

"We did," Carter answered from behind her, "but she is a slave, so it's none of our business, even if we didn't like it."

"You are of course right, but my anger got the better of me. We've treated Susan, but her injuries were quite severe. You may not be aware that she is infected with both syphilis and gonorrhoea, both at a very early stage."

"Treated you say, and how do you know about the infections?" the Captain asked quickly.

"I had some medical training Captain, at Padua where I spent a year. My magic isn't good enough to be a proper healer. I did develop a Talent there for devising and making drugs and potions, and my magic is sufficient to be able to make all but the most complex diagnoses. When Karin and I treated Susan's wounds, I scanned her."

"And you suspected that Gardner had infected her?" the captain asked, thin lipped and angry.

"I did, and when I scanned them this morning, I found both were infected, not just him. Both are, sorry were, very late stage as well, so highly likely to pass on their infection."

Carter hissed behind Manon, making her tense up. The captain held a hand up in a placatory manner, "Peace Tess. Are you saying they knew they were infected?"

"They must have done captain. Though I didn't see them undressed, they will almost certainly have open sores, and Mrs Gardner was showing signs of bone degradation."

"So what then did you do this morning Astley? This obviously wasn't a courtesy call you paid. Poppy told us you took them their tea?"

"I did captain, and I stripped naked, suggesting that I'd been ordered to perform all of Susan's duties. I needed to buy some time, as I'd drugged their tea with a strong sedative, and something that would make them sick. My thought being that would keep them away from Susan."

"So you confess then? You killed them?" Carter asked, as she drew the pistol and held it down by her side.

"No, I don't believe that I did. I'm very good with drugs, and there's no way what I gave them could have killed them." Carter just snorted.

The captain stood up, quickly, "come with me," she said, and led Manon out of her cabin, and into the Gardner's, which I noticed she had to unlock. I also noticed that I'd been right, and she now had a pistol at her belt that she'd picked up from her desk. The mate, Carter, followed close behind.

The first thing Manon noticed was the smell. Or rather the lack of it. The Gardners should have been stinking the place out as their guts rebelled, but instead it smelled no worse than it had earlier in the morning. Manon could see the two bodies lying on the bed.

Manon explained her surprise at this, and why it seemed odd. "Captain, may I examine the bodies?" After brief consideration, the captain nodded. "Captain, could someone please be sent to my companion, I need sharp scissors and my gutta percha gloves. I really don't want to touch the bodies with bare skin. Oh and my lye soap please? I'll want to wash after."

The captain nodded at Tess, who stepped out. "So, it seems you really do know something about medicine then?" she said. Manon just nodded, there didn't seem anything to say to that.

A little while after, Poppy came in, carrying the items Manon had asked for, Carter following close behind her. Poppy put the things down, giving a wary eye to the bodies on the bunk.

"Poppy, tell Astley what the Gardners wanted with you yesterday?" "Ah, well they knew I'm ship's girl cap'n, and well, they wanted to use me," she said. The expression on her face made it clear that hadn't been a welcome idea.

Manon saw Carter's expression darken with anger. "What happened then Poppy?" "Well I couldn't refuse cap'n, but I got them to agree to wait until today, as I had duties."

"And?" Carter said. "Well, they told me to strip," she said.

"Poppy," Manon said, "did they touch you, sexually?" "Oh no, they just ran their hands over me and she pinched me a bit." Poppy was shifting about, more uneasy than embarrassed.

"Captain, with your permission after we are done, whatever else you decide, please allow me to wash Poppy thoroughly, I'd like to make sure she isn't at risk."

"Risk?" Poppy squeaked, "They ain't plagued are they?" sounding horrified.

"Hush Poppy, no they aren't," the captain said, "but it appears they may have been sick. Just wait in my cabin for us please."

Looking very nervous, Poppy left. "Much risk?" Carter asked, perhaps an iota more warmly than before. She'd also holstered her pistol.

"Truthfully no, but for her sake and the crew's given her duties, I'd like to make sure. I should mention I have what I need to make treatments for Susan, and if it's necessary for Poppy as well. They'll both be fine."

Manon had finished pulling her gloves on. They were large, coming up over her forearms, and were made of cotton that had been made waterproof by being coated in the waterproof natural rubber called gutta percha. Picking up the scissors, she said, "If I could have a bucket of water as well please, I'll need to wash these off after."

Manon went over to the bed, and stood at the woman's feet. "Good lord," she said. Henry Gardner was lying on his side next to his wife, but his right hand was clamped around her throat, so tightly that his fingers had dug right in.

"Not sure he was involved," the Captain said dryly.

Manon nodded an acknowledgement of that, but went on looking at the body carefully. Someone had pulled the sheets back off them. "Captain, whoever pulled these sheets off them, I'll need to check them too," Manon said.

"That was Poppy, she tried to rouse them," Carter said. "No one else has touched them, it was obvious they were dead."

"See her face? Her eyes are heavily bloodshot, which is what happens to someone when they are strangled," Manon said.

"Why would he do that though, and now, here of all places?" the captain asked.

"At a guess, I think that may be my fault," Manon said. "I told them both that I knew they were carrying both diseases, and that the wife's was highly advanced, while the sedative was taking effect. It was pretty obvious he didn't know she was a carrier, nor that her syphilis was so advanced, more so than his."

"So you are sure, they are infected?" the captain asked.

"I am yes, but in a moment let's see if I can show you proof. Oh. Well, look at our Henry here," Manon said.

"See how red in the face he is, more than he appeared to be normally I mean. And his right eye, it's turned right down and obviously misshapen, where his left eye is staring straight ahead. The whole right side of his face has fallen as well. I think he had a stroke. Essentially he burst a blood vessel as the tabloids like to call it."

Not getting any reply or comment, Manon continued. "Well now for the unpleasant bit." Manon was just about able to reach and cut open Mrs Gardner's nightgown, from the hem to the neck, and peeled it open.

Manon's gorge rose, and both the captain and Carter blanched. The corpse had several open sores at the top of her thighs, and one was showing on her abdomen, partially concealed by her pubic hair. "With your permission captain I won't look for any more on her? Those are obviously pox sores."

Manon waited but nothing else was said, so she turned to Henry Gardner's corpse, preparing to cut open his nightgown. "No, that's enough, I don't think we need to see any more." the captain said.

"Let's be clear here, Miss Astley or whoever you are. I don't like your part in this, or frankly you either much, but I accept you didn't kill these two. The fact that your intervention has kept our Poppy safe is something we are all grateful for, so I'll not press you on your names or your story."

"Soon as we make port, I want you and yours off my ship, am I clear?"

"You are captain and thank you."

"What do we do with bodies?" Carter asked. "Overboard with them, we'll file a report saying they died of unknown illness when we reach port. I'll not have them stink us out." the captain said promptly.

"And Susan?" Carter asked. "Tomorrow's problem, let's not worry now. You'll keep her in your cabin please," she said to Manon, who nodded yes at her.

"Captain, if I may?" Manon asked, and continued with a nod, "Make sure no one touches them if possible. Their bedding and clothes as well. If we were on land, I'd say burn their things, but the sea will wash them clean. The pox lingers for a while outside the body, so I was taught. Anything with blood or body fluids on could be infectious, even if there aren't visible stains."

Carter barked a slightly grim laugh, "We're sailors Miss Astley, we've had to deal with pox before. How are we going to deal with Poppy? If we go scrubbing her down in public, we'll have the crew gossiping like old women. That's going to be bad enough already."

"Send her to my cabin?" Manon said. "If I can borrow a washtub or the like, I can clean her up in there and check her over. I need to get Susan cleaned up as well, and the crew must by now know she's sick? Poppy staying to help us wouldn't be odd. Well, she is pretty, if anyone needs more reason."

Carter and the Captain exchanged glances, and Carter said, "I'll get Jen to take a tub to the cabin, and bring water," and she left.

Manon bent down and washed her gloved hands in the bucket, then slipped them off into the water and washed her hands and forearms as well. "You know," the captain said, watching her "your facility with deception is really worrying. Let's go and talk to Poppy. She's a good girl, and will do as she's told." Manon quietly followed behind her, and they talked to Poppy in the captain's cabin.

Poppy was very jittery when they explained everything she needed to know, but Manon had dealt with a lot of jittery young girls in her time, and was able to assert herself and calm Poppy down.

"Captain, I'll make the medicine needed for Susan as well, the sooner she's dosed the better. It might be best if the crew are warned what I am up to, at least in general. The final stage of making isn't discreet, and I'd not add to your problems by upsetting your crew."

"Considerate of you, now," the captain answered sardonically. "How long will you keep Poppy for?"

"Overnight would be ideal, just to be sure she's well. If by some remote chance she has been infected, I'll be able to detect it by tomorrow morning, and can treat her then."

Just then there was a knock at the captain's door, and a young woman stepped in. She was in her early twenties Manon thought, not very tall, with a pretty face and a cheerful smile. "Cap'n the mate told me to tell you that I've moved a tub and some water to the passengers' cabin."

"Very well. Jen, take the bucket from the cabin next door, and put it in the other cabin as well. Oh, and Jen? Poppy is going to be working for the passengers for the rest of the day and overnight, so you'll pull her duties with the crew tonight."

Jen's face fell a bit, but then she smiled, "Well it's not like I wasn't used to it. Is that all captain?" At the captain's nod, she left. "She might be a little less cheerful when she remembers Travers has first turn tonight. She does like her ropework does Travers," the Captain said quietly, chuckling.

"Well things to do then Miss Astley?" Manon, taking the Captain's hint, excused herself, and returned to her cabin, noting she wasn't escorted and wondering about ropework.

The young crewman, Jen, was just leaving her cabin, saying something to Poppy as she went. "Yes, alright, I owe you a whole night, you hard case," Poppy said, but since both girls were grinning at each other, it didn't seem like a serious argument, if that's what it had been.

Poppy was sitting on the fold down bunk, facing Belle, who was sitting on the bunk opposite. Susan was lying on the bunk behind Belle, with her face to the wall, either asleep or deliberately ignoring everyone.