Mantis Ch. 03: Vigilance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Robert. Real quick. What is this piece?" He held up a unique looking painting of a dragon.

Robert slicked back his hair and smiled. "I call it moon dragon. Took me quite a while to get the scales right. The colors just didn't want to cooperate."

"Yeah. I bet it took a while to photoshop it enough." Arthur called out. Evalyn paused.

The slick man shrugged. "Listen kid, I have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you run along and let the adults play?" He said confidently as he placed his hand on Evalyn's ass. The change in her demeanor was instant. Arthur barely had time to blink before he saw Robert sail through the air and land on his back in front of the desk. The man coughed as the wind was knocked out of him. "What the hell?"

He never managed to get out another word as Evalyn's heel hovered over his throat. "Shut it Asshole." She growled. She stuck out her hand. Her scary calm business demeanor having returned. "Arthur! The painting."

Nervously Arthur handed her the piece. She looked it over. "What is the issue here?"

"If you hold it out and kind of squint you can see the remnants of the artist's watermark he tried to remove. He's good but he didn't get it completely. I'm familiar with that artist's work myself. Sam Dean. He does a lot of dragons and other mythical creatures. I knew this man's work looked familiar, I just couldn't place it."

She looked to the work and then to the man under her heel. "Well what do you have to say for yourself?"

"It's a lie! I made it all myself." Robert squeaked. "Listen if you just let me up, we can talk it over. I'll go with the asking price and I'll even throw a little extra in there for you if you know what I mean." He rose his eyebrows suggestively.

She raised her foot and brought it down upon his stomach hard. He keeled over in pain. "You sick bastard. Trying to take my money and get in my pants in one move. Get out of my building."

"One moment." he raised his finger as he struggled to catch his breath.

She kicked him again in the side. Her voice icy cold. "I said... leave!"

Robert scrambled to his feet and bolted for the elevator. He couldn't press the button fast enough. As the doors slid close, she groaned and rubbed her forehead. "That was not how I wanted to come down from that." Her gaze turned on Arthur. "And you!" She started, rage boiling in her throat. "Are not allowed to fuck me before a meeting like that again. I swear to god if you get me that high before something important like that again... Ill... Ill..." She stamped forward. Arthur backed up slowly his hands raised in defense. Evalyn grabbed his tie and pulled him down into a passionate kiss. Her tongue darted between his lips as she ravaged his mouth. "I don't know what I'll do but I'm sure you will like it anyway." She cooed.

"Soo uh... I gave it to you pretty good then huh?" Arthur squeaked.

"Oh, Honey... My legs are still trembling." She smiled up at him then her face turned serious again. "But I mean it. Don't you fucking dare do that again."

"And what about Robert? You're just going to let him get away?"

Jacob knocked on the room door and placed his hands behind his back. "Already taken care of. Building security apprehended him in the lobby and are holding him until police arrive. I am in the process of notifying the original artists and putting together a case to be brought against him in court."

Evalyn gave a cat like smile. "See, taken care of." She gently flicked Arthur's nose. "Now... that was all I needed to do for the day. I think it's time I put you back to work more. I can still stand after all."

Arthur gulped.

...

The door slammed behind Arthur as he stepped wearily into his apartment. It had been a long day and though Evalyn had invited him over again, he declined. He yearned for just a night of peace and quiet to process all that he had been through the past couple days.

"Just what have I gotten myself into?" Arthur asked to no one in particular. With a heavy groan, he made his way into his small, quiet and sparsely decorated bedroom. He flopped backwards on the creaking spring mattress sighing in relief to finally be off his feet.

As he stared at the empty ceiling his mind wandered to the moment when Evalyn had pulled a gun on him. From there his thoughts wandered all over to how she acted as well as her looks and what she does. He sighed. 'Should I really be doing this? He though. Maybe I should just call the cops.'

The longer he mulled it over the more ratting her out didn't sit well with his gut, but neither did keeping quiet. His thoughts were broken by an unpleasant gnawing in his stomach. "Oh right... food is a thing." He muttered as he made his way to his kitchen. As he walked around the apartment he felt a heavy weight in his chest. Spending so much time with Evalyn the past two days had worn him out completely but he became keenly aware of how lonely his bland home felt.

He pulled out pasta from the cabinet and set water to boil. He took a seat in one of the rickety wooden chairs, his vision focused on his hands. As he closed his eyes he could still remember the feel of her skin between his fingers. The heat of her body imprinted against his, and when he tried hard enough he could even hear her calling his name.

"Arthur... Arthur..."

He smiled as he fondly remembered the face she would make when she was annoyed with him. 'Man... I am falling hard,' he thought to himself. Then he heard her voice again.

"Arthur! Will you open the door already?"

He bolted upright. He suddenly became aware to the sound of knocking at the door and a car idling outside.

"Arthur! How long do you plan to keep me in the cold?" Evalyn's voice came through loud and clear.

"Coming!" he called as he rushed to the door nearly knocking over a few chairs in the process. His breath hitched in his throat as he opened the door to see Evalyn in a stunning black dress. The low-cut top showing her ample cleavage and tightly griping her toned stomach. Even her well-defined legs and ass were given easy to see in this wonderful dress. "Holy shit." He gasped at the sight of her.

Evalyn smiled and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. "May I come in?"

"Yes of course."

She sauntered in smiling back over her shoulder giving him a great view of her backside. Her eyes danced around his humble abode and she frowned in disappointment. "Are you sure you don't want to come back to my place?"

Arthur laughed nervously. "thanks for the offer but no. It isn't much but it is home. What are you doing here anyway?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She smiled slyly. "I missed you. My place was just too large to be home alone after our time together today."

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Really?"

"yes, but it isn't the only reason... unfortunately I have need of your services again." She frowned as she crossed her arms.

Arthur pulled nervously at his collar. "Didn't we do it enough today already? I mean I have stamina but even I have limits."

She sighed and shook her head. "No Arthur, I need... I need your help with something a little more dangerous. I'm hunting tonight and I need you to come with me."

He blinked as the new information sunk in. "Whoa, wait. Like your vigilante stuff? Don't you go in costumed and kick ass mode? I would just slow you down."

"Do I look like I'm in a costume?" She huffed. "This isn't a normal hunt. This guy we are after is a slippery bastard and the only way we are going to catch him is with a lure. I need you with me to help watch my back."

Arthur stroked his chin as he pondered her words. "So, you are leaving yourself as bait and you need me there in case he gets the better of you?"

"That is most of it." Her eyes desperately searched his. "Jacob needs to be running my intel and there isn't another soul in the world I would trust. Please Arthur. I can't do this without you and I promise you won't come to harm. You just need to go the bar, have a good time and when it's all said and done you can even bring someone home if you'd like."

"Wait, bring someone home. Evalyn you can't mean..."

"Yes." She sighed. "I may have to do things to get close enough to my target to kill him. I can't expect you to maintain that part of the contract if I can't. If you meet someone you fancy, bring them home and its even. Simple as that. I just need you watching my back until the job is done."

"No."

Evalyn froze, her body rigid as something dark flickered in her eyes. "Excuse me?"

"I'm not going to cheat on you just because you tell me to." Arthur proclaimed. His hand on his chest defiant. "I'll go and I'll help. Because I want to see you safe. But I won't just bring someone home because you need to blur the lines to take out a bad guy."

"Arthur! Don't be ridiculous! I need to do this to kill the target YOU found. There are certain ways this needs to be done otherwise I might get caught or worse killed." She stomped her heel for emphasis. Fire burned in her eyes as she stared back at him.

He sighed brushing a lock from his eyes. "I get it Evalyn I do. I'm not saying you need to change. I'm saying I won't change too. You do what you need to do, and I will do what I feel is right. I'm not so insecure that I need to bring someone else to bed because you're a sexy promiscuous assassin. I'll go and I'll help and when it's all said and done we will see each other at work the next day."

After what felt like eternity, Evalyn cracked a half smile. It grew until she let out a laugh. She shook her head and sighed. "Arthur... I really don't get you. But I'm happy you are the way you are." With a genuine smile that lit up the room, she placed her hand on his shoulder. "Let's get you dressed to party, and at least try to enjoy yourself after we are done."

...

Having dressed up in a brand new dapper suit Evalyn had left for him, Arthur stepped outside onto his rickety porch. The floorboards creaked as he walked outside looking for the Limo but scratched his head when it was nowhere to be seen. Nearby an electrician's van rolled down its window and he heard the driver call out his name. Arthur pointed to himself in question. The driver stuck out his arm and waved him over.

As Arthur approached he could now see it was Jacob in disguise. He had on a fake mustache and a wig. If he didn't recognize Jacob's signature see through your soul gaze he never would have guessed it was him. Jacob motioned to the back. "Get in, and try to look a little less conspicuous."

"Uh Ok" He fumbled with the door. Upon opening he was surprised to see an array of monitoring equipment like one would expect to see in an FBI van from the movies. "Whoa."

Evalyn waved him in. "Well don't sit there gawking. Come on!"

"Right!"

The door had hardly shut with a click and Jacob took off like a bolt of lightning. Arthur was thrown from his feet and slammed back into the metal door. Evalyn rushed to her feet and yanked him forward. Losing his balance, he careened out of control, slamming face first into her breasts.

His chin resting on her massive melons, he looked up at her apologetically. "I'm sorry!"

Her eyes crinkled with her smile as she ran her fingers through his hair. "You're lucky I've got two big air bags to catch you with."

A wicked grin spread across his lips. His hands crawled up her dress and pressed the sides of her breasts, pushing them against his face. "I know and they are so much fun to play with."

Evalyn playfully slapped his hand. "Enough you, we have work to do. You know I'm not sure which you like more. Me or my chest."

Arthur lifted his head, staring deep into her blue eyes. The corner of his lip turned upwards as a small giggle escaped his throat. He pressed his lips to hers quickly before returning to his stare. "You, obviously. You are beautiful in more ways than just your body."

He could see the faintest hint of red emerge in her cheeks. "Oh hush." She smiled a broad grin. Arthur could see her smile lasted even as she turned away towards the wall of electronics. "Now, I need your help with another issue."

"And what would that be?"

"I need a new name to feed the press for when they talk about what I've done. I can't stand Mantis. Its hideous. Those bugs disgust me. Why can't it be something more elegant. Like Black Widow?" She shuddered at her repulsion.

Arthur sighed with a hearty chuckle. "Evalyn, Black Widow is a super hero from the Avenger's film. The name is already trademarked."

She frowned, the corners of her lips pulling tight on her face. "Well, how about Widowmaker?"

"Already taken. She's a character in the video game Over watch." He shrugged.

Frustrated, she threw her hands up in the air. "Alright. Fine! How about Man-eater?"

He placed his hands on her shoulders and rested his chin on top of her head. "It's alright. Calm down please. Do you really want to be called Man-eater?"

She melted into his touch, closing her eyes and letting her lips open in a silent moan. After a few seconds, she sighed. "No, you're right. Mantis will have to do."

Wrapping his arms around her in a tight embrace, she rested her head on his arms. "It's a fine name." He whispered. "Plus, I'm sure you already have a little bit of a following. Wouldn't want to confuse your fans, now would you?"

She playfully slapped his arm. "Oh, shut up." Her laughter joyously filling the van. "Now, look here this is the guy we are after."

...

Inside the club, Lights flashed with the pounding rhythm of dance music. The crowded floor was filled with a sea of swinging bodies as they shook away their troubles of the day. Arthur stood near the bar and took a deep breath. He wasn't comfortable at all. Preferring the quite refuge of his home and the internet, a club was the last place he expected to be when he got home that night. His narrowed eyes scanned the crowd following Evalyn as she danced her way across the floor, ever slowly approaching the ruggedly handsome man that was their target.

He let out a deep sigh and shook his head. The man's name was Mario Sera. He had a long track record but nothing could officially be traced back to him. Jacob was sure that this was their guy, and that was all Evalyn had needed to make her move. His record was using drugs to take women and then have his way with them before he killed them. Arthur was there to come in as back up should he get the slip on her.

A soft, sweet voice roused him from his thoughts. "Hello Sweetie, what brings you here by yourself?" He turned quickly, startled. Before him was a Lithe young woman with flowing black hair. Her black dress flowed across her willowy form and draped her arms in beautiful lace patterns. "Can I get you a drink handsome?"

"No Thanks." He said with an apologetic smile. "I can't really drink right now."

"Why? On some secret mission?" The mysterious woman said as she wiggled her eyebrows. She stood right next to him and Arthur got a good look at her. Her dress met at her neck and left her back completely exposed. She didn't appear to be wearing a bra though it worked as her breasts were on the smaller side. She had an elegant and demanding presence that reminded him strangely of Evalyn.

Arthur laughed nervously. "Don't be ridiculous. Who does something like that."

The woman took a seat at the bar next to him. "You would be surprised. A lot can happen in a place with this many people. I'm Morgan by the way. And I was wondering if you could tell me your name. Or I can just call you sexy if you prefer."

He gulped. Arthur had never been comfortable being hit on. Ignored most of his life he wasn't used to this kind of attention. Usually had had to chase affection. His gaze flicked across the room to see Evalyn making her approach on the target. "Uh, it's Arthur. Pleasure to meet you."

"Well Arthur." She raised a finger and the bartender slid her a drink. "You have been watching that woman for a while now. But I figured I would come over here and rescue you from your loneliness. Look, she's obviously interested with someone else. She probably doesn't even know you exist."

His gaze went back to Evalyn. She was sliding up to Mario and it seemed he had taken the bait. Arthur frowned. "Is my staring that obvious?"

"Oh, don't feel bad dear. She is a stunning specimen. I wouldn't mind having a night with her myself. But she's in a league of her own. You can tell by the way she walks and how her aura commands those around her. No Hun, you are better off looking elsewhere. So why not look to a woman who is interested in you?"

"I wouldn't see why you're bothering with guy like me." He mused as he sipped a cup of water.

Morgan batted her lashes. "You have good shoulders and a broad chest. And in my experience nerdy guys tend to put more effort into sex since they don't get it as often."

Arthur coughed as he choked on his water. Morgan slid from her chair and pressed her body against his side. "Come on now. I'm going to get you to leave with me. It's only a matter of time. Just... accept it." He could feel her hard nipples rubbing against him through her dress. His member hardening instantly. Arthur looked to her surprised. She winked and placed her hand on the new bulge at his crotch. "And it seems you're not too shabby for size either. Come on hunny. I'll show you wonders you've never dreamed."

"I don't think I should. I... I have to be up early." His eyes flicked back to Evalyn Intime to see her sitting on Mario's lap.

Morgan cooed as his cock throbbed in her hand. "You certainly up now. Come on Arthur. She doesn't even see you. Come play with me. After, if it wasn't everything you've dreamed of, you can go back to watching her."

He turned on Morgan. "What is it you want from me? Money? Because I don't pay for sex."

She recoiled in mock horror. "Arthur! What kind of woman do you take me for? I'm not some cheap slut. No dearie, I am the queen of this join. This is MY club, and I've taken interest in you. Now... why don't you get up off that chair, follow me upstairs..." She squeezed his cock hard. "And drive this into me!"

Arthur looked back between Morgan and Evalyn. He shook his head as the constant massaging of her hand made it hard to think. He signaled to the bartender for a drink. Morgan smiled. "Now that's the spirit Hun. Relax. I'd offer to have you fuck me on the dance floor, but I feel like you are on the shyer side. Don't worry we have plenty of private rooms for just us. Maybe we can even invite your little friend up to watch."

He down his drink and let out a deep exhale. "You are a real kinky woman you know that."

"Oh, I do. But it is my club. I can do what I want here. I could clear off the counter top and have you stick your dick in me right here and no one would stop me. In fact, we might even draw a crowd."

"Thanks, but no thanks. I don't like prying eyes when I perform."

Morgan narrowed her eyes with a seductive gaze, her hand left his cock to rub her breast. Arthur could clearly see her nipple poking at the fabric. "oohhh a performer. I knew I picked the right man tonight."

Arthur stood up and shook his head. "No, you didn't. I'm not going to be unfaithful and I'm not going to sleep with you. If that upset's you I'm sorry but it won't happen. Kick me out if you need too."

"Oh, that won't be necessary. I'm going to have you Arthur. I said that at when I first saw you. And when I make a promise, I keep it."

He raised his eyebrow in confusion. He went to take a step away when the dizziness hit him. His vision blurred and he could feel his strength leaving his body. "What... what did you do?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. You see Arthur, you will be staying here tonight." She gently caressed his cheek, dragging her long black nail across his jawline. Her face mere inches away. "And I'm going to fuck you, while I make her watch."