Marcus of Duros Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Visitors and well-wishers poured in daily, their visits sometimes overlapping, prompting impromptu gatherings. Among the guests, Jarrod visited most frequently. His visits were more often to discuss battalion business rather than for pleasure since they would spend hours poring over paperwork and personnel files. The last campaign had made a bit of a dent in their strength; as such they had new transfers from the War College to look over.

Assignment into a battalion after graduating from the War College was a convoluted process. Since the mandated strength of the Legion was kept at 16 battalions, a posting in one as a legionnaire was dependent upon a battalion having a vacant post. Occasionally there were more graduates than open posts. In this instance, senior battalion officers would receive files on all graduates available for service and from this pool the officers would pick the ones they wanted in their battalion, the rest would be referred back to the College.

Graduates who were not selected were stuck in a sort of limbo; they had graduated from the College, but were undesired by a battalion. During this unassigned time the graduates worked tutoring younger students in exchange for room and board at the College, but since they were not men of the Legion yet, they could not leave the College grounds. At the end of four years, if a graduate still had not been assigned to a battalion, a special committee would force their assignment into a battalion, usually resulting in the senior battalion officers resenting the transferred man and overlooking him for promotions or special assignments.

On the last day before Marcus was to have his stitches removed, Jarrod returned with the final list of possible replacements for the battalion.

"I didn't want to make any decisions on these before I had run it through with you, but obviously your illness has set us back a few days. We need to make our selections and return it to the College for transfer immediately or we will be undermanned for the next campaign." Jarrod said as they sat down at the dining room table.

"Alright then, let's get to work. How many vacancies do we have?"

"Seventy. There were the fifty-seven that were killed in battle, as well as thirteen that are currently unassigned due to severe injury. Most of them are still in the Infirmary and are likely to take the disability pension and early retirement."

"How many graduates are there to choose from?"

"One hundred and twenty."

"A wide margin this time around. Judging by your lack of boxes and assistants to carry the load of files, you've already made most of the selections?" Marcus asked.

"That's correct. Sixty of them were top choices. Excellent grades, well rounded types; pretty much no-brainer selections. That being said there are still ten slots. Oh, and don't forget there is a promotion necessary after Lieutenant Dillion's death. Paxton is now the Battalion's senior lieutenant, but we need to make a suggestion to their Lordships for a sergeant you wish to promote to lieutenant to take command of Dillon's platoon. Do you have any thoughts on that before we go over the prospects from the College?"

"I haven't given it too much thought. What do you think of Sergeant Singh?"

"Prajaht Singh? Senior non-com for Dillion's old platoon?"

"That's the one."

"Isn't he a little old? I think he's in his mid-thirties already."

Jarrod's confusion was understandable. Typically, War College students took one of two paths during their period of training. A small minority who excelled in leadership and tactics were given advanced training during their time at the College. It was these courses that would give them the ultimate leg-up for promotion to the officer's track when they became legionnaires. All other students pursued combat and technical training more intensively. While they were valuable members of any battalion, it was uncommon for any of them to be promoted above sergeant, typically staying in the non-commissioned officer bracket until the end of their career. In Sergeant Singh's case he was one of the latter, and only a few years away from retirement.

"He distinguished himself during the last campaign, if I recall correctly. He didn't get the requisite training at the College, but I understand that he took quite a shine to Dillion. I wouldn't be surprised if Dillion taught Singh a few things in exchange for his mentorship."

"I would have to agree." Jarrod said. "Tell you what... I'll interview him at the barracks, then, if I think he's up to it, I'll send the recommendation papers over for you to sign. You have an audience with the Lords in two days right? You can make your recommendation verbal as well."

"Perfect." Marcus said with finality. "Now, let's move on to those other replacements."

For the next two hours Marcus and Jarrod poured over the last ten slots they had to fill. The replacements were nothing special. All of them had done only passably well at the academy, but thankfully only one of them had ever had any disciplinary issues.

******

After Jarrod left a profound quiet settled on the apartment. There had been visitors nearly non-stop during the daylight hours for the past few days, but now the apartment echoed with silence. While Marcus delighted in the distraction from his itchy sutures which were now begging to come out, he was relieved for some privacy.

During Marcus' meeting with Jarrod in the dining room, Chloe had been sitting in the living room reading one of her books. Now that Jarrod was gone he made his way out into the living room.

She was reclining gracefully in one of the armchairs, her legs folded in under her while she nestled into the plush armchair. Her hands gripped the book firmly and she was biting her lip absentmindedly, evidently too engrossed in the book to notice his arrival.

Marcus was not entirely sure what had gotten into Chloe recently. Ever since he had woken up he felt remarkably refreshed and fairly healthy considering the circumstances, but as much as he yearned for her attention, Chloe did not seem to return the sentiment. Aside from quick kisses on the cheek or a kind word or embrace, they had neither spoken, nor interacted very much at all. She was still the same as he remembered in most respects, but their love life had recently taken an icy turn.

Each night when they would get ready for bed he would reach out to touch her warm skin, or perhaps kiss her gently on the nape of the neck, and every time she would elude his grasp, slowly pulling away from him. While it wasn't an overt action, it felt like a slap in the face to Marcus. In fact it was a complete reversal from the Chloe he had known before his injuries. The old Chloe would have welcomed his touch, perhaps even encouraged it. It was as if her desire for intimacy had dried up completely. Instead of being loving partners, now they seemed to Marcus to be no more than good friends sharing a bed and an apartment.

Earlier in the day Marcus had decided to talk with her about it, but usual parade of visitors had prevented it. He thought he might have time in the afternoon, but Jarrod's visit had cut into that significantly. He needed to ensure that no one else would bother them for the evening.

Just then an idea popped into his head. The legionnaires that had volunteered for guard duty outside were still posted there.

Marcus had no idea why there was any need for guard duty. There were policemen all around the city, besides that, his injuries had been inflicted by a man who was now dead, and the threat of retribution from one of the man's friends was only theoretically possible; practically speaking absolutely impossible. Executioners had never been attacked by the friends of those they had dispatched in the entire history of Duros. Still, although dramatic, their presence provided an invaluable service whenever Marcus needed anything brought to the apartment, or a message run to the barracks.

Walking across the living room over to the hallway that lead to the door he opened it and spoke briefly to the men standing "guard."

"Legionnaire-" He said, addressing the elder of the two.

"Yes, Commander? What can we do for you?" The young man asked.

"I'm not feeling too well this evening and I'm quite tired. Could you inform any other visitors that come calling that I won't be able to see them tonight?" Marcus said quietly.

"Yes of course, Commander. Would you like one of us to fetch the physician?"

"No, no, that's not necessary." Marcus said, irritated by the man's initiative which could jeopardize his plan. "Good evening, gentlemen."

"Good evening, Commander. We'll make sure you aren't disturbed." The legionnaire said, snapping a quick salute as Marcus shut the door.

With the threat of interruptions from future company no longer a concern, Marcus decided it was time to confront Chloe.

As he headed to the living room, a knot of anxiety hit his stomach.What will she say? Maybe she didn't really mean it when she said she'd forgiven me for what I p-ut her through...

As he walked into the room, Chloe looked up from her book.

"Is everything alright, Marcus? You look tense." She asked, her forehead creased with concern.

"No, I'm not alright. I'm worried Chloe."

"Oh? About what?"

"Us. You and I."

"What are you worried about with you and I?" She asked, narrowing her eyes in confusion.

"Well," Marcus started hesitantly, "ever since I've woken up it seems like you're a different person. We barely talk, it feels like you've been avoiding me, and every time I go to kiss you, or touch you, you move away. Is it me? I know I don't exactly look the same as I did when we first were married..." Marcus said, indicating the ugly gash that split his cheek and eyebrow.

"Oh, Marcus... that's not it at all. Please don't think I'm that shallow. I'm sorry if you thought I was being distant on purpose."

"Well... if it's not that, what is it? You admit that you've been distant, so why is that?"

"Well I think more than anything else I've been busy thinking."

"Oh? About what?"

"Well, I was relieved when you finally woke up permanently, not just waking up to scream nonsense only to pass out again. I was so happy for the first day because for those ten days I wasn't sure if you would ever wake up again. Then when you did wake up I was struck by the realization of how fast we went with everything before you go hurt... don't get me wrong, I wasn't lying when I said I loved you, but I just realized that in those few days I was so infatuated with you, and taken aback by your kindness, that I got a little wrapped up in the emotion of it all. It scared me how fast we had progressed, and I wasn't sure how to express it, or if I should at all."

"So... you don't love me? Is that what you're trying to say?" Marcus asked, confused.

No! Well... I'm not sure, Marcus. We only knew each other for three days before you went into the arena. Don't get me wrong they were lovely days, and I've never been happier, but it was still just three days. I feel like we didn't really get much time to know each other, we spent so much of it being intimate and having sex. I think that my concern comes out of how worried I was when I wasn't sure if you'd be waking up. We had had plenty of sex in those three days, but if it came down to it, that's all I really would have had to remember my husband by. I know so little about you, about your life, Marcus. I was worried then that I would never get the opportunity to really know you. Now that you're better I worry that you don't actually want to get to know me that well. Every day we've had visitors, or more specifically, you've had visitors and we've had practically no time together, then when it's time for bed you reach for me and I start to worry that our relationship is only a sexual one for you..."

Marcus sat down on the couch across from Chloe's chair, stunned by her declarations.

"Chloe, you must know that our relationship means so much more to me than just sex, don't you?"

"How am I supposed to know, Marcus? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. The fact of the matter is that we'd been spending the majority of our time together in bed, and that would have been fine, except then you went and got yourself cut up so badly that we all thought you were going to die. Then when you woke up, I expected you to realize how precious our time together is, and that it's limited. I expected you to want to spend time together and pick up where we left of, just like I did. Instead, you received every single visitor that came calling, and only reached out to me at night, and only physically even then."

"Oh Chloe... I'm so sorry that it came off that way. I hear what you're saying. It's just that when I woke up I felt like I had missed so much that I wanted to see everyone who came. I didn't mean to ignore you, or make you feel like I only needed you around for sex. I am so grateful for everything you did while I was ill, and I'm so sorry that I had to put you through that."

"I know you are, Marcus, and we understand each other's views on the necessity of you serving as executioner, but that's no longer the point."

"I know, I know. I've been letting you down. I'm sorry for that. So, tell me what I can do to make it up to you, and how we can fix this."

"For starters, stop taking so many visitors. It breaks my heart that we only have a couple weeks left until you leave again. Who knows how long you'll be gone, and if you'll come back at all."

Tears began to slip down Chloe's cheeks. Evidently the experience of watching him come back from the brink of death had made the idea of Marcus' mortality less of an abstract concept to her. Pushing himself up from where he sat across from her he walked over and scooped her into his arms, sitting back down again with her sheltered in a warm hug.

"Tell you what? Until I leave again for the campaign, I won't receive any visitors past lunch. The afternoons and evenings will be all ours. We will do nothing sexual until the night before I leave, and even then, if you don't want to do anything that night, we won't. I want to spend all of our time together learning as much as possible about each other. How does that sound?"

"Perfect. Thank you for understanding, Marcus." She smiled up at him

.

******

Marcus and Chloe spent the rest of the evening talking. For the purposes of their agreement they decided to talk about their childhoods first, which they discussed at great length. Chloe talked about her family and their apartment in the civil district. Her father had been a corporal in the 5th Battalion. He retired when his service was up and he became a governmental aid for their Lordships, something to do with the Treasury, but Chloe wasn't quite sure.

Unlike Chloe, who had remained at home until she was eighteen, Marcus had been sent to the War College when he was eight, and hadn't seen his parents since he left home. Chloe was mortified when she learned this, but Marcus insisted that it did not bother him. She seemed confused when Marcus explained that it was his choice not to visit his parents, but did not press the issue.

Finally, after talking for hours, they went to bed without any sort of intimacy apart from a goodnight kiss, as per their agreement. As Marcus watched Chloe's sensual curves rise and fall as she slept, he kicked himself slightly for brokering such a harsh agreement. He admitted to himself that it was the right choice, but he would miss the feeling of her warm body wrapped around him, and the euphoric pleasure of thrusting himself inside her.

******

Master Chilgo returned in the morning to remove Marcus' sutures as promised. Marcus was not looking forward to the experience. Having had stitches several times before he was quite familiar with the discomfort of having them removed, and this time there were many more than usual.

Chilgo tutted as Marcus winced as he cut the threads and pulled the stitches from Marcus' skin.

"A commander of the Legion, and you whine about a few stitches. When I was in the Legion, men wouldn't whine unless a limb was severed; we would barely blink at a couple little stitches."

Marcus stopped wincing and immediately began to glare at the grizzled little physician who was abusing him verbally now, as well as physically.

"There, see?" Chilgo said, humorously. "Now you're mad at me, instead of whining like a baby. Hold still now, I'm nearly done."

Marcus looked over at Chloe for distraction as Chilgo began to pull the last stitches out of his abdomen. She looked at him sympathetically and blew him a kiss. Marcus smiled as he reflected on how much stronger their relationship had grown in only an evening. Overall he was pleased with their progress, but he was even more enthusiastic about the future. With nearly two weeks before his next campaign, who knew how close they would become.

After Chilgo had taken his leave Chloe began to cook them breakfast. Marcus had grown tired of empanadas from Danny's, so Chloe cooked him a huge bowl of oatmeal and fresh spiced sausage from the market.

The rest of the day passed unremarkably with Marcus filling out paperwork that Jarrod had sent over from the Barracks as Chloe watched intently, asking him for various explanations about the logistical workings of the battalion. After Marcus had finished with the pile of paperwork and had dispatched it back to the Barracks, he and Chloe spend the remainder of the day talking, this time mainly about Marcus' earlier campaigns after he graduated from the War College.

Although Marcus and Chloe had made great strides in learning more about each other, he was still unwilling to discuss the campaign that had been the subject of his recurrent nightmares. Chloe for her part seemed to have forgotten Marcus' nightmare debacle in all the frenzy of the past couple weeks, so it slipped conveniently by the wayside. He had no doubt that it was something he should discuss, but he wasn't ready. Not just yet.

******

The next day marked the return of Master Rallick, thankfully without any of the self-righteous rudeness that had preceded his introduction to Marcus several days prior.

After a cursory inspection of Marcus' wounds, the two set off for the Market. It was the first time Marcus had been outside the apartment in a very long time, and despite the ramblings Rallick, Marcus greatly enjoyed the walk.

Contrary to Rallick's admonitions to keep the pace slow, Marcus sped ahead at his typical walking pace; the overweight master huffing to maintain pace with him.

"Commander... perhaps we ought to slow... down. I wouldn't want... you to collapse. Your condition...is still quite fragile..." Rallick entreated desperately.

Marcus sneered slightly as he listened to Rallick struggle to keep pace behind him and issue directives at the same time. He was irked that the physician seemed to have let the perceived power of his office go to his head.

Rallick had spent the majority of their journey thus far treating Marcus to a non-stop monologue about the gloriousness of their Lordships, and how he had gained their favor after years of loyal service as an Infirmary administrator. Marcus seriously doubted the veracity of the claim, as Rallick's most recent error had nearly cost Marcus his life; not something their Lordships were likely to overlook.

As they walked around the Market people began to recognize Marcus and bouts of applause and cheers began to break out among small groups of shoppers. Before long, crowds of people surged forward in a crushing embrace; wives and young children shaking his hand, their fathers and husbands saluting warmly. Marcus appreciated the well-wishers, but it was Rallick who basked the most in the crushing attention of the crowd.