Marcus of Duros Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Finally, as they were walking near Danny's Lunchroom, Danny himself stepped outside to see what was causing the commotion. Sizing up the situation immediately, he shoved his way through the growing crowd and grabbed hold of Marcus' arm. Leading Marcus back through the mob towards his front door, a protesting Rallick in tow, Danny pushed the pair inside and closed the door behind him.

Inside it was quiet. The crowd outside rapidly dispersed as Danny refused them entry. Only a few patrons occupied tables, it still being early for lunch. One of the tables, however, was occupied by Lieutennant Paxton and his new wife; Josephine.

Paxton had sought a patron just a day after they had returned from the African campaign. Moving fairly quickly, his patron had found a bride that he was satisfied with in just two days. The pair had visited earlier in the week, as Paxton was eager to introduce his new wife to just about anyone who would listen. It was understandable; Paxton's excitement was fairly common among young men who were recently married. After spending the majority of their adolescence looking at women only from afar, the recent contact was a stimulating new experience.

Josephine for her part was an interesting choice on Paxton's part; her beauty was an uncommon type. She was extremely tall, only a few centimeters shorter than Paxton himself, and this was in essence what set her apart from other women.

Paxton was a fairly tall man, taller even than Marcus, making Josephine of approximately equal height to Marcus. All other aspects of Josephine's figure were fairly average. The only other glaring exception was her eyes, in that they were startlingly blue, almost comparable to the ocean that hit the shore not far from the restaurant in which she now sat.

Paxton, who was at that moment tucking into a large bowl of Danny's famous stew, just then noticed Marcus for the first time. His eyes widening with surprise he stood up quickly to salute as Marcus walked towards him with Danny and Rallick in tow.

"How are you Lieutennant?" Marcus asked, returning his salute.

"I'm well, thank you, Commander. I must say, I'm pleased to see you out and about."

"Well, that makes two of us." Marcus laughed. "How are you, Josephine, I swear you've gotten prettier since last I saw you."

"Perhaps your eyesight is just improving after your little tumble!" Danny laughed. "She was always a beauty, and so tall too. If I were thirty years younger..."

"I heard that!" Shrieked Charlotte from the kitchen.

Marcus chucked as Charlotte emerged from the kitchen, planting a quick peck on his cheek before confronting her rowdy husband.

"Stop embarrassing the poor girl... and you," she said, turning and pointing at Marcus, "are becoming just as bad. Now are you here for lunch or some other business?"

"Lunch I suppose, Danny rescued us from the crowd. They've become a little more exuberant recently; I don't think I've ever been swarmed like that."

"You're their hero Marcus, not to mention you cheated death despite all attempts to the contrary. It's no wonder they throng to you. You're probably the most popular commander in the Legion... for now that is. The masses can be so fickle." Charlotte chuckled.

"Commander Crassus, we really must be going! I have to finish my evaluation and report to their Lordships." Rallick gasped from where he stood next to Danny.

Danny raised an eyebrow and turned to look at Rallick incredulously.

"I'm quite certain that the Commander is in better shape than you are, Master. He looks as well as I've ever seen; the exercise has invigorated him, whereas for you, it has elicited a certain... sheen." Danny said sardonically, indicating the master's sweaty appearance.

Flushed with embarrassment, Rallick turned towards the door. Muttering something to Marcus about reporting back to their Lordships of his good health, Rallick quickly made his exit, walking back up the street and out of sight of the restaurant.

"Now that he's gone I'll see about getting you some lunch to join your Lieutennant, Marcus." Danny said, chuckling at the master's quick retreat.

"Thank you, Danny, for both." Marcus said, winking at Danny and Charlotte as they retreated back to the kitchen.

******

Marcus spent the rest of the hour sitting and visiting with Paxton and Josephine. Paxton informed him that he intended to compete in the war games being held that winter, after which he asked Marcus if he would have any interest in being his sponsor.

War Games were a grand tradition of Duros ever since its very earliest days of statehood. Young men would compete in four separate events that represented the ideals of a Durosian Legionnaire's skill.

First was a footrace around the arena in the War College. Its length was approximately five kilometers, so the competitors were forced to run multiple laps around the arena, encouraged by the crowd who watched from above. The competitors were then given scores based on how well they finished in the race.

The second event was a rifle marksmanship competition. At the end of this event their scores were added to the first set, and the Games continued on. In the third event the young men fought with dulled swords in a swordsmanship competition. The final event was a boxing match to test their skill in unarmed combat. At the end of the Games the scores from each competitor were tabulated. The five highest scoring competitors were awarded first through fifth place, and presented with their purses.

The main draw of the War Games was the purse associated with achieving a winning score. Men who wanted to compete reached out to other citizens to be their sponsors. A sponsor would pay the hefty sum for registration and entry into the Games, usually around 20 aurums. When the Games were finished the winning five competitors were given their purses which were funded with the entry fees paid by all other competitors. First place received thirty percent of the total, second garnered twenty five, and so on by five percent less until the fifth placed competitor, who received ten percent.

In the event that their competitor won, the sponsor was given the amount that they paid for the registration of their competitor, as well as a prearranged percentage, usually around eighty to ninety percent of the purse. In this way, all of the risk was on the sponsors, who incurred losses of 20 aurums should their competitor fail to make the top bracket. Competitors on the other hand risked nothing other than bumps and bruises. The payoff for both, however, was the potential to win fabulous sums of money.

During the winter when no campaigning occurred there was little to do. War Games broke the monotony, and they were a sort of informal holiday in Duros. Sometimes as many as five hundred men would enter into the competition. As such the purse for even the 5th place competitor was a thousand aurums; a nearly incomprehensible sum of money. Commanders themselves only earned one hundred aurums a year as a starting salary.

Naturally, with the entry fee being so high, and the slim chance of their contestant being a winner, sponsorship was a rich man's game. Some sponsors gave their sponsorship to numerous men; men who were solid competitors, and good prospects to place. Marcus had once known a retired commander who sponsored fifteen men. Unfortunately for him none of his competitors won.

After Marcus and Paxton agreed on a percentage of eighty for his sponsorship, he paid for Paxton and Josephine's meals as well as his own and took his leave; heading back up the streets in the direction of the commanders' apartment building. Chloe would be sure to notice if he did not return soon. Master Rallick had said that they would be gone an hour at the most, but by now nearly two had elapsed. Marcus hoped it would cause no tension between them. He thought that it probably wouldn't, but he couldn't be sure. After their discussion about the status of their marriage several nights ago he couldn't be sure of anything regarding their relationship.

******