Mariel's Magic Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Our daughter is going to fight?" asked Adriana, appalled at the thought. The idea that her little girl, who gurgled and cooed in her crib, had such a profound purpose was both bewildering and scary.

Hana nodded silently. They had always sensed something extraordinary about Mariel, but the idea that she was here to fight some battle was overwhelming.

"How do we help her?" Jonathan asked.

Hana, with her gentle demeanor, explained their challenge. "Mariel's magic is a gift, and a responsibility. As she grows, she must understand both her abilities and her purpose. I will help both her and you to understand more of why she is here. You, as you teach her, must weave this purpose into the fabric of her everyday life, as you teach her of love, compassion, and kindness."

Jonathan then asked, "And how do we make sure she remembers, with all the distractions of growing up?"

Hana smiled, her eyes twinkling with a wisdom born of years. "Make her learning activities a part of your daily routine. Tell her stories about her purpose and her power. Create rituals that remind her of who she is and why she is here. Her magic is part of her, but it is your guidance that will help her stay focused and help her to use it wisely."

They followed Hana's advice, as well as they could. They filled their home with stories and pictures of heroes and heroines and took Mariel on walks in the park in her stroller, to connect her with the earth. They treated each other with kindness to show Mariel the way to be in the world. Sometimes it was Hana who took Mariel to the park, and during these times the two communicated with each other psychically, with Hana talking about her life and experiences, and the people she knew.

"Also," continued Hana, "remember, children learn through play. Encourage her to use her magic in her play and in small, everyday tasks. It will help her to build a world for herself around magic, and not get lured by the pleasures of the normal world. Incorporate art and music into your home. These are not just decorations or entertainment but are embodiments of the magic that binds the world."

She then turned to a small bag she had brought along from Japan and pulled out a collection of objects: smooth stones engraved with ancient symbols, feathers from various birds, and small statues of sages from the past. "These are not toys or trinkets," Hana explained. "Each has its own energy and story. Place them around the house, let her play with them under your supervision. They will serve as anchors, holding her to her purpose."

The next day they all visited shops in Chinatown, looking for a statue of the Buddha. Hana told them that, "Your daughter must always keep in mind who she is and why she is here. You should try to remind her, and as you teach her the ways of the world, you should try to weave in reminders of who she is. Because the Buddha represents those qualities that will help her stay on the right path, a statue of him would be a daily reminder of those qualities. It is not a thing to worship, but simply a reminder of the qualities you want to encourage."

In a shop they visited, there were many statues of the Buddha, and the parents picked five different ones, all of which they liked. Hana asked Mariel to pick one. Holding the child in her arms, Adriana stood before each of the five, waiting for the baby to make a choice. She did not react to any of them. So, Adriana carried her around the entire store, slowly, looking at others. Finally, she stopped in front of a statue made of light green jade. Mariel looked at it critically, smiling, and then pointing. Hana communicated with the child, and then said, "This is the one she wants. She says it speaks to her."

"She has expensive taste," said Jonathan. The one she had chosen was an antique, priced at $1,500. Both parents liked it and also chose a carved mahogany stand.

They brought it home and installed it in the living room with cushions to sit on. Every day, Hana and Mariel would sit in front of the statue, gazing at it, while Hana told her, nonverbally, stories of his life. Over time the Buddha depicted in the statue became another member of the family.

Over the next several months, their apartment would be adorned with paintings of mystical landscapes and celestial bodies. Wind chimes, musical instruments from various cultures, and bells would be added to help Mariel explore the magic of sound. Crystals were carefully placed as directed by Hana, to both absorb and enhance the quality of magic.

Mariel, now more aware of her surroundings, seemed to thrive in this enriched environment. It was as if the various objects and sounds called to her and interacted with her. Many times, it was clear even to the parents that Mariel, in her own way, was communicating with the objects around her, her tiny arms and hands waving with purpose, as she made a soft babble of sounds.

A week after she arrived, Hana, Mariel and her parents went to visit Jennifer. It was early spring, and Hana had brought along a packet of flower seeds purchased at a gardening store. While Jennifer and the parents drank tea in the back yard, Hana told Mariel to poke a hole in some moist soft soil with her finger, which Mariel did, then put a seed in the hole and cover the hole with the soil. Mariel planted ten seeds in this way, spaced three inches apart.

Then Hana nonverbally instructed Mariel to feel the seeds sitting in the soil and use her magic to make them grow. Mariel struggled to feel the seeds and channel magic into them, but she did it. After an hour, which was the limit of how long she could maintain her power, they both saw green shoots slowly rising out of the soil. Then Hana had Mariel give the plants instructions to continue growing.

Mariel was now tired and hungry, and Adriana gave her the breast at which she suckled greedily until she fell asleep, still holding the breast in her mouth. Then Adriana fell asleep as well. Several hours later they all went to look at the plants and saw that several had tiny blooms.

After such a good start, Hana asked Mariel to try to speak to the flowers and learn about their lives. Mariel sat looking at them, making soft babbling sounds. Hana smiled at her, nodding to the parents and Jennifer to indicate that the child was indeed speaking with them.

With Hana's help Mariel carefully plucked several flowers from the loose earth to put in a little pot of soil to take home. Saying goodbye to the little garden she created, she went home and asked Hana to place the flowers near a window where Jonathan's other plants were growing.

The next day, while taking Mariel for a ride in her stroller through Golden Gate Park they passed by the rose garden. Mariel seemed agitated on seeing the bare canes of the rose bushes, and Hana said the child was disappointed that there were no flowers. She wanted to go near and touch a bush. She wanted to make it grow.

They looked around and saw nobody close by, so Jonathan picked up the child and put her down by the base of the nearest bush. Hana told Mariel to be careful of the thorns. The little girl touched one of the nearest canes lightly in several places, and as they watched, buds appeared and then blossomed.

Mariel smiled and wanted to do more, but Hana told her that her magic had to be kept a secret. The baby did not know why, and Hana said they would talk about it. They all looked around again to see if anyone was watching, and then quietly continued their talk, leaving four just opened roses.

With Hana's guidance, Mariel continued learning the nature of her magic, and, in addition to using it to make flowers bloom, she used it to soothe the pains and hurts of small creatures, such as a small mouse she discovered, injured and lying under a bush. She also continued to learn that her magic was not for show but for a greater purpose.

The challenge of keeping Mariel focused was not easy. They had to teach her about the regular world as well as the world of magic, and there were days when the allure of childish games, television, and the frustration of mastering new skills made Mariel wander from her path. She was fascinated by everything, from the simplest toy to the bustling world outside their door.

There were days when it seemed like the material world would indeed overshadow what they were teaching her. Her parents gently steered her back, reminding her not just with words but with deeds. Also, she spent time each day sitting quietly with the Buddha statue, which over time became imbued with both her magic and Hana's, and seemed to speak to her, and reminded her of who she was and where she was going.

Hana continued to counsel Jonathan and Adriana, "It is the way of the world to distract, to envelop the mind in the immediate and the material. You, her guardians, must create a balance for Mariel. Surround her with love, yes, and let her experience the joys of life, but also nurture her spirit and the gift she possesses."

Hana taught them rituals and practices that would help Mariel maintain her connection to her inner self and her magic, including meditation sessions where they would all sit quietly with Mariel, creating a feeling of peace and inner reflection.

After three weeks, Hana went back to Japan, where she had many duties. But her bond with the little family, especially Mariel, was strong. She would try to see and talk to Mariel every day by video chat, and that was enough to keep teaching the child.

By this time, it was clear that Mariel had learned much, and Jonathan and Adriana noticed subtle changes in themselves too. It was as if they were sharing the magic. Each was more sensitive and attuned to their daughter and their surroundings. As magic was woven into their lives, they felt like even the little magic they carried, that we all carry, had been waking up. They were even beginning to remember bits and pieces of past lives, and seeing how the energies of things in their world were connected with them and each other.

Also, heeding Hana's warning, they knew the world outside their bubble of magic would soon begin to pull powerfully on Mariel, and it was their task and promise to their daughter, to ensure that the magic within her continued to flourish, guiding her towards her destiny, whatever it might be.

Chapter 8. Trista

Two years later, Mariel was three. The family had moved to the sleepy town of Woodacre, a short trip north of San Francisco, where they felt they had found a haven amidst the tall Valley Oaks and Pine trees. It was a quiet community with high-tech homes sitting next to rustic cottages. Many homes had extensive vegetable and fruit gardens, and others had chickens, goats, or horses in the yard. Here, Mariel could be close to nature in their spacious old house that sat on a one-acre lot, which included a small orchard of plum, pear, apple, and orange trees. There was enough fruit to hire people to come out and pick it, to be donated to the local food bank. It was here, amidst the soft murmur of nature, that Mariel's gifts were nurtured under the watchful eyes of her parents and her teacher, Hana.

They had moved the year before and immediately found life to be simpler than in San Francisco. Being closer to nature allowed Mariel to be closer to the source of her magic. The quiet life allowed Jonathan and Adriana to deepen their bond, and the property offered privacy and a kind of sanctuary where Mariel could freely explore her powers without attracting the attention of neighbors.

Into this idyllic community walked a woman named Trista. She was tall, with dark flowing hair and cold blue eyes. She was elegantly dressed and beautiful, as befitted the new manager of a small boutique clothing store named Sylvan Chic, where the prices were high and many of the items were one of a kind.

Trista seemed to fit in with this town, where many of its residents flaunted their unique personalities. She lived in a small apartment above the shop and initially went unnoticed by her neighbors. However, Mariel sensed her. The woman's presence created a disturbance in the energy surrounding their home, which was not more than a quarter mile from the store.

Jonathan met Trista at a small market where he was buying vegetables. He was struck by her beauty, dressed in a simple, though expensive, sweater and skirt. The high heels she wore were a little out of place, and they caught his eye. She had only a few things in her basket, and he got the impression she was there just to pick up a few things for lunch.

They were side by side inspecting apples when she looked at him. "Hello," she said in a low voice, with a slight smile.

"Hi," replied Jonathan, looking at her closely.

"I'm Trista. I don't mean to be forward, but I just arrived to open a new shop. I'm saying hello to everyone, you know, networking a little. My shop is outside the door and to the right. It's called Sylvan Chic."

"Welcome to Woodacre, then," said Jonathan. "I'm Jonathan. I'll let my wife know about your shop. There are not a lot of places to shop for clothes here, so she'll probably want to drop by."

"Thanks, I hope so, but I'm just getting ready to pay. Perhaps you'd like to walk back with me and have a look."

"Sure, I'm curious. Just let me pay for these things and put them in my car."

A few minutes later, they were walking up the road to her store. Trista unlocked the front door, turned the sign back around to "Open," and showed Jonathan around. She leaned back against the store counter, and her perfume was much more pronounced in the small space of the boutique.

"So, have you lived here long?" she asked, smiling at him.

"No, only a year. We moved here from San Francisco with our daughter."

"So far, I love it here," she said, "but I hope I can make some friends."

Jonathan, like Adriana, possessed a small amount of magic, and having a magical daughter who had a magical teacher, he was sensitized to the feel of a person with powers. He felt those powers in Trista and was intrigued and wondered if she could be added to the small group that was helping Mariel learn to use her powers. Also, he found her very attractive, extraordinarily so, in fact. Suddenly he wanted to know more about her.

"Well, I hope you do," Jonathan said. "Maybe you can stop by our place for lunch or something. I'll talk to Adriana, my wife."

"That's so nice of you. Here's my number," she said, handing him a card from the counter.

Jonathan left, thinking about her, and over the next few days, he found he could not get her out of his mind. In the following weeks, she made it her business to make herself known in the community. Jonathan and Adriana knew few people in the town, but somehow, those they knew had either met Trista or heard about her.

Jonathan mentioned the woman to Adriana and shared his impression that she had magic. Curious, Adriana visited her store, but luckily, Trista was busy with someone else, allowing Adriana to just observe. Her impression was the same: the woman had magic.

Unconsciously, Jonathan started to time his visits to the little market to be there just before noon, hoping to see her, and he was not disappointed. When the opportunity arose, he said, "Nice to see you again, Trista. How is business?"

"Oh, business is okay; could be better, but I'm new here, you know." Jonathan felt guilty because he had not asked Adriana to invite her over. They walked together through the grocery aisles, with her glancing at him periodically.

"I don't think your wife has been to my shop yet," she said as they left the store together. "Here, why don't you walk me back to the store? I want to show you something special. Maybe if you take a photo, it will lure her in."

"Okay," he said, and once again, he walked with her to the store after putting his purchases in the car.

Once in the store, she shut the door but left it locked, and the sign still read, "Closed."

"So, come in the back, Jonathan." He followed her, curious, as they walked into a little storage room. Then she turned to him. "I lied; I don't have anything to show you. I just wanted to kiss you."

She moved confidently to put her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. Overwhelmed by the feel and scent of her body, he kissed her back. As the kiss lingered, he pulled her closer. His mind was overwhelmed by this woman, whom he barely knew. Then he thought of Adriana and pulled away.

"Uh, we shouldn't do this," he said, starting to leave the storage room.

"Don't you want to?" she asked, taking hold of his hand and stopping him.

He looked at her, and desire rose up in him, but he did not answer. Instead, he gently removed her hand and left the store.

When he got home with the groceries, he did not mention Trista, but his mind was overwhelmed with thoughts of her.

At dinner that night, Mariel sensed dark energy clinging to him and asked, "Are you feeling bad, Daddy?"

Surprised, he said, "No, I feel fine. Do I look like I'm feeling bad?"

Adriana looked at her husband. "Are you sick?"

Now, irritated and feeling guilty, he snapped, "I'm fine!" Then he said, gently, "Sorry, I feel fine, and I'm not sick."

Now he did not want to invite Trista over to the house. He did not know what he wanted, but certainly not that.

The next time he saw her in the store, he said, "We have to talk."

Playing coy, she asked, "About what?"

Jonathan did not answer but gave her a look that said, "Are you kidding me?"

"Oh, that," she said casually. "Well, walk me back to my shop."

After once again stowing his bags in his car, he walked her back, and once again, she walked him into the storage room, keeping the "Closed" sign on the door.

He looked at her and started to speak but instead kissed her. After the kiss, he looked at her with eagerness in his eyes, and then she kissed him. Knowing now that he was unable to resist, she pulled away from him, took him by the hand, and led him upstairs to her apartment. In her bedroom, she stood before him and slowly pulled off her dress, revealing delicate lacy lingerie.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked. "You know what to do."

Jonathan smiled, still barely conscious of what he was doing, and took his clothes off. She kicked off her high heels, removed her bra and panties, leaving only lacy stockings, and pulled him toward her. Now he was eager to make love to her and shoved her down onto the bed.

An hour later, he left her apartment and drove home, knowing what he had done but not sure that he was the one who did it. He was worried that Adriana would detect Trista's perfume on him, so he took a shower. Afterward, when he saw Adriana, he said, "I felt kind of grubby, so I took a shower."

"OK," she said, looking at him a little strangely.

Jonathan knew he should tell Adriana what had happened and should explain that when Trista seduced him, he felt powerless to resist. He wanted to explain that he thought she had some kind of magic that she might have used, but he could not say a word, and she apparently suspected nothing.

However, Mariel, with her strong awareness of dark and light energy, sensed a darkness that had come into the house with him. Since Trista had come to town, Mariel had a feeling of encroaching darkness, which stood in stark contrast to the warmth and love she had always known. She was only three but understood the nature of good and evil, and light and dark, far better than people much older than she.

Over the next week, a feeling of darkness seemed to settle over the family. This may have been due to Jonathan making another visit to Trista's bedroom. While devoted to Adriana, he found himself inexplicably drawn to the woman, and when she called, although he struggled to resist, he could not.

Mariel's normal world, filled with the sights, sounds, and colors of nature and the gentle rhythms of a loving home, began to shift. She possessed an extraordinary sensitivity to the energies that surrounded her, which allowed her to perceive the world in ways others could not. This ability was a double-edged sword because while it allowed her to experience the world in ways that could be wonderful, it also sensitized her to creeping tendrils of darkness that could harm her family.

1...56789...11