Mariel's Magic Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She spent hours in the garden, among the flowers and trees that had always been a source of joy and comfort. It was here, in the quiet whispers of the wind and the gentle hum of the earth, that Mariel found the strength to face the unease that Trista's presence had brought into their lives. However, the darkness that she felt moving ever closer to her family affected her magic. The plants, which once responded so eagerly to Mariel's touch, now seemed hesitant, as if recoiling from an unseen threat.

Mariel never met Trista in person but felt her dark energy and reacted instinctually. She did not yet have the language skills to articulate her complex feelings, but she understood them in her heart. She knew that she had to use her unique powers to protect her family and rid it of the cloud that had descended upon it. She had to shield both her parents from a power against which neither had a defense. The deep bond between her parents was beginning to show weakness, and if it should break, she would be left exposed to the dark. She had to make that bond whole again.

The darkness kept getting closer. One day, Trista met Jonathan at the little store and said, "So, when are you going to invite me to meet your family? You promised, remember?" This shook him. Even though he had told himself he could not invite her to their house, this reminder from Trista acted like a command.

Later, at home, he said, "Adriana, remember I mentioned Trista, who has a little clothing shop in town and may have some magic? I sort of promised her we'd invite her over for a meal. What do you think?"

"Fine," replied Adriana, who seemed to miss the unease in his voice. "We don't know many people here, so that would be nice. And, if she has magic, maybe we should know her. It's even possible that Mariel drew her to us."

"That was my thought as well. Let's ask her."

A few days later, Trista walked through the door and was as charming as she could be. She was simply dressed, in jeans and a sweater, a far cry from her look in the shop. They did not talk about anything consequential during the meal, and Trista barely talked to Mariel, besides telling her how cute she was and taking a brief interest in one of her toys.

During the meal, while Mariel sat on a booster seat with the three of them, her innocent-looking eyes watched carefully, observing the interactions between Trista and her parents, particularly Jonathan. She sensed the shift in her father's energy, a change so minute that others might dismiss it, but to Mariel, it was as glaring as a beacon in the night.

Mariel knew Trista for what she was, and in her mind saw a cloud of dark energy settle over the table. She knew she could not talk about this with her parents, because she could not make them understand, but she could with Hana. Hana was in Japan at that moment, and the child knew how to contact her, so later in the evening she did.

"Hello, little one," said Hana. It was the middle of the night there, and it took Hana a few minutes to shake off sleep. "Does Mama know you are calling?"

"No, Hana, but I need you to come. Dark magic has been here. I can't explain it to Mommy and Daddy. You need to come to help me."

Even at that distance, Hana felt the energy around Mariel and knew the child was telling the truth. "Go get your mommy so I can talk to her."

Leaving the computer, she ran into the other room and found Adriana. "Mommy, Hana needs to talk to you."

Surprised, Adriana asked, "Is she on the computer now?"

"Yes, Mommy. I was talking to her, and now she wants to talk to you."

Adriana walked with Mariel to the other room and sat down at the computer.

"Hi, Hana, Mariel says you want to talk to me."

"Yes. I know I am not supposed to visit for another month, but Mariel says she needs me now. She is talking about dark magic, and she seems to be aware of something happening there."

"She hasn't talked to us about it."

"I know. She does not have the words yet. I think this is serious, Adriana. Have you noticed any changes in Mariel?"

"Well, yes. She mentioned how the plants don't like her anymore. She seems down."

"I can feel that, too. Her energy is wrong, and I should be there. Can you set up a flight for me?"

"Of course, if you think it's serious. I'll do it now."

Two days later, they picked Hana up at the airport. She and Mariel sat in the back, holding hands. During the trip, they entered into the unique mind-to-mind communication that was only possible for two with their level of magic.

In her mind, Hana said to the child, "You have changed, child. I see it in your face and body. You have been near dark magic."

Mariel nodded, and as Hana looked at her, she recognized the gravity of the situation as soon as Mariel began describing her feelings and sharing with her the images that had arisen in her mind.

"I always knew you would face these challenges," Hana said, "but not this soon. You describe this Trista as one with powerful magic, and I had hoped we would have time. Still, you have fought these battles before in other lifetimes. Try to remember what you did then. I know you have abilities you can call on. I just wish you could have remained a child longer."

When they arrived at the quiet sanctuary of the Woodacre home, Hana immediately felt Trista's lingering presence. She did not want to say anything yet but would try to prevent any future visits by Trista to the home. She took Hana for a walk among the trees on the property, holding her hand so that communications between them could be clear.

"She has been here and has left dark magic," she said to the child.

"Yes," replied Mariel, "and I feel traces of it all over Daddy. They have been together, and she has touched him."

Hana looked at her with concern, knowing that she was speaking to a person much older than the child she saw before her. Hana was still hesitant, however, to speak of things of the adult world. "Yes, they have been together. Trista has attached strands of dark energy to him that she can use to draw him to her and away from this family. In this way, she seeks to weaken the bond that shelters and shields you." She could not bring herself to describe how these strands of dark magic came to be attached, though she knew that it was through sex.

"Yes, I can sense those strands even now, and I understand how Trista made Daddy betray Mommy." This knowledge saddened her young heart and caused her to remember betrayals she had witnessed when she walked the Earth in other lifetimes.

"Our weapons in this fight," said Hana, "will be kindness, love, and compassion, which you well know." Then she spoke about love, which was not only an emotion but a powerful force that could bring light to the deepest shadows.

"Remember, child, the stories I have told you of ancient times, when the dark seemed insurmountable, yet was vanquished by the bonds of love of those who stood with the light. Those bonds gave them the strength and unity they needed. This Trista has done damage to your family's bonds of love, but it can be repaired, and you must repair it."

Hana stopped walking and, holding Mariel's hands, said, "Your magic is a gift, but your heart, your ability to love and be loved, that is your true strength. Always remember, darkness cannot exist where there is light, and there is no darkness that can dim the light within your heart."

That evening, Hana said to Jonathan and Adriana, "I am going to perform a cleansing ritual for your home if that is alright. I have never done it here, and I should have in the past. It is meant to dispel any dark magic that has found its way into your home. It will give me a chance to teach this ritual to Mariel."

For the next two hours, Hana led Mariel through every room in the house, speaking words of cleansing while holding a smoldering bunch of herbs. When she was done, she and Mariel both agreed that most of the dark energy left by Trista was gone.

As Trista's presence in Woodacre became more established, her dark influence began to weave a tighter web around Jonathan. He felt greater and greater urges to come to her, despite the love he shared with Adriana. But now something prevented him from doing it. He was engaged in an internal struggle as he grappled with feelings that seemed to betray the love he held for his family. He was not aware that he was the battleground on which Trista's dark magic and the white magic of Mariel fought. He only knew that his days were filled with confusion and a growing sense of disquiet. He walked around distracted, with his thoughts often wandering between Trista and Adriana. These moments of distraction were brief at first but grew more persistent over time.

At the dinner table, Adriana asked frequently, "Is something bothering you?" after she spoke to him and he did not answer. This left Adriana to wonder what was going on.

As the influence of Trista continued to cast its shadow over Jonathan, Adriana became the person who held their relationship together. Her deep connection to Jonathan was as strong as ever, and Mariel tried to keep it strong by coming to her mother in dreams and reminding her of how much love there was between her and Jonathan. Still, Adriana had growing doubts.

She tried to come to Jonathan in dreams as well, but it was difficult. Something was blocking her magic, and she and Hana agreed it was Trista.

Speaking to Hana one day, Adriana said, "I've noticed changes in Jonathan, distraction, distance, forgetting things. It's like he always has something on his mind. I've asked him, but he says there's nothing."

Hana said, "There is darkness about, and it has affected him. Trust your daughter; she has the power to help him, and I am guiding her."

Alarmed, Adriana asked, "What do you mean, darkness?"

"A battle between dark and white magic. It is a difficult fight, but I am sure Mariel will prevail. Still, it will take time. Jonathan has been caught up in it and will suffer for a while."

"Can't you explain? What's happening to Jonathan?" she asked anxiously. "Is he doing anything he shouldn't?" she asked suspiciously.

"I cannot explain it, not really. He has become the focal point of dark and white magic and is simply reacting to that. He is not consciously doing anything. You have seen his reactions, like being distracted. You cannot do anything to help him, at least directly. You just need to keep doing what you are doing, which is to hold him close and strengthen the bonds between you."

"But he won't make love to me," she said, bursting into tears. "How can I keep him close when he doesn't want to be close to me?"

"As I said," Hana replied with concern, "give him all the love you can. That is all you can do right now."

Adriana trusted Hana, and despite her anxiety and suspicion, focused on giving Jonathan unwavering support. He sometimes pushed her away, and it was hard for her not to take it personally. She continued to seek Hana's advice and tried to understand that the difficulties between herself and Jonathan resulted from a larger battle that she could not see. Her own minor magical abilities gave her a sense of what was happening, without explaining exactly what it was.

She gently made efforts to connect with her husband, such as reminiscing about their journey together. "Remember how you saved me from Michael? Saved our baby? I was so scared, but you did it."

"I guess I did," he said, drawing himself out of his brood and smiling at her. They were lying side by side in bed, and he pulled her close. They kissed and touched each other, as the darkness briefly faded from his mind.

"Hmm, I like to hold you like this," Adriana said softly, feeling his arousal and hoping they would get back to normal. But then the image of Trista returned to him, and his mind drifted to her bedroom. Adriana felt him leave her, and tears formed in her eyes, but she held onto him, remembering Hana's words. She focused on thoughts of love for him and on the feeling of compassion, knowing that he was suffering.

Hana taught Adriana new rituals that they could do as a family to bring them all closer. These were simple things, like silent evening walks through their little orchard; telling stories of magic, love, and courage; and waking each morning to greet the dawn. Some of these times were filled with laughter, others with the awe of nature that surrounded them, and still others with quiet reflection. All served to draw their minds away from the dark and toward the light and to reinforce the protective circle of love around them.

It seemed that the quiet battle between Trista's magic and Mariel's was at a stalemate. Trista was still in her little shop, and periodically she and Hana both detected traces of dark magic clinging to Jonathan after he had been out of the house.

"This battle is slowly eroding the bond between Mommy and Daddy," Mariel said in one of her silent conversations with Hana. "Mommy doesn't know what he's doing with Trista, and she mustn't know. Trista's magic could cause her to overreact to something that is not Daddy's fault. But unless we stop her magic, Mommy could discover his betrayal and the bond might break. We've been able to keep Trista away, but that can't last."

Hana listened gravely and agreed. It was at this moment that Mariel decided to take a decisive stand against Trista. Armed with the teachings of Hana and her own innate power, she decided to confront the woman. She would not do it with hostility but would instead use the power of light and love.

On a bright afternoon, Hana took Mariel out for a walk. Adriana asked if they wanted her to come.

"No, Adriana, I think just us. Mariel is getting a little older now, and it is time for me to begin showing her how to be magical in the world of non-magical people."

"OK, that sounds like a good idea. Have fun, you two."

Hana, the little Japanese woman, and Mariel, the tiny three-year-old, walked the quarter-mile to Trista's shop slowly, conserving their power for the confrontation.

"Mariel," said Hana out loud, "I do not believe I have enough power to face this one. It will have to be you."

In her little girl's voice, Mariel replied simply, "I know."

Hana looked down at her and could tell Mariel was anxious, but ready. "Remember, Trista has been trying to hold onto your daddy, but it takes energy. You have your full strength, and I can add my energy to yours."

They walked into the shop together, and Trista was waiting for them. She felt their energy from the time they left the house and knew they were coming to her.

"A little girl and an old woman," she mocked. She stood there, tall, confident, and elegantly dressed. "And what do you expect to gain from this meeting? I have your father, and I will break your weak protections."

Hana looked at her coldly, knowing her for what she was, turned around, locked the door, and turned the "Open" sign to "Closed."

"We will go upstairs," said Mariel, in her small voice. "The town can't see this." She said this in a voice of command, which she had practiced with Hana.

These words hit Trista like a slap in the face. She was not expecting such words of power and was turning around to go upstairs before she knew it. She wondered if she had underestimated the magic that Mariel wielded, but then said to herself, "She's only a little girl, magic or not."

As she slowly climbed the steps, she reevaluated what she faced in these two. She led them into a little living room and sat on a chair. As they settled themselves on a couch facing her, she wrapped herself in a protective veil of magic. Then she laughed again, "Your feet do not even reach the floor, child, what do you think you are doing here?"

Mariel said, "You have come to destroy my family. I can't let you do this. Your dark spells have entrapped my daddy, who is defenseless against them. Now you must face me, and I am not defenseless." Her voice, though high and small, was clear and unwavering and carried the weight of many generations and many lifetimes.

Trista, for all her dark powers, found her courage faltering before the child's powerful light and her unshakeable resolve. She felt pain as the child's light penetrated her shields. It was a moment of revelation, not just for Trista but for Mariel as well, as she realized the true extent of her abilities and the impact of her words and actions.

Though Mariel had made no move at all, Trista felt the child assaulting her and weakening her. Mariel challenged the very foundation of Trista's dark intentions, knowing that her own light held real power, and Trista's dark magic had only the power to trigger the fears and weaknesses of humans. In the face of white magic, that power evaporated. Hana sat beside Mariel, encouraging her, and adding her own power to the child's.

Now the struggle between Mariel and Trista was a battle of wills. Though both possessed magic, there were no dramatic displays, no waving of arms, or casting of spells. It was a contest of competing beliefs. Trista sought to manipulate and ensnare, using fear and division as her tools; while Mariel relied on energy that called on people to embrace hope and unity.

Trista laughed, wickedly, "I'm what your father wants, and I'm what he thinks of at night." She intensified her efforts, trying to send images to Mariel of her father spurning his wife and child. The powerful visions she created stood before Mariel and briefly made her fear for her family.

"Yes," said Trista. "You see how it will be, and the only thing you can do to stop it is to join me and embrace the power of dark magic. Your daddy does not want you. He wants me, and only me."

There it was, Trista's dark plans laid bare. She wanted Mariel to join the army of dark magicians. Trista's magic, powerful as it was, would work on almost anyone in the world, including her father. Mariel knew this and momentarily feared she was powerless in the face of it. However, Hana squeezed her hand and sent her a vision of her family, whole and complete, and Mariel came back to herself. The child knew the dark magic to be cold and hollow. It was meant to isolate one from another and instill doubts and fears in people's hearts.

"No," said Mariel loudly, "your magic and visions are lies. I will show you the truth!" Then the little girl stood up on her short legs, arms held wide, and a blaze of light washed over Trista, extinguishing her visions and illusions, and breaking the shields of darkness that protected her. At the decisive moment, the light she wielded was a force that was irrefutable. It was a surge of energy that enveloped Trista, not with the intention to harm, but to reveal the stark emptiness at the core of her dark pursuits. Confronted with such power, Trista's dark magic crumbled, its foundations of fear and division unable to withstand the power of the light.

"NO!" screamed Trista, "This cannot be true!" Her mind was opened to the wicked thing she had done, and the pain she felt was unimaginable. "You lie! I have done none of these things!" Yet the truth of her deeds was undeniable, and her long suppressed conscience began to grow inside of her, until an image of her own self stood there, accusing her and finding her guilty.

As Trista's power weakened, Jonathan, who was in his home office, began to emerge from the fog of enchantments she had laid on him. The light gradually rekindled within him, a light that had been dimmed by the shadows of confusion and doubt created by Trista's dark power. Jonathan awakened gradually, and he found himself reflecting on the memories of his life with Adriana and Mariel and the countless moments of joy they shared. Each memory guided him back to the essence of who he was. These reflections helped him shake off and reject the allure of Trista, as he tasted the bitterness that lay at the heart of her dark magic. The strands of energy that had ensnared him were destroyed, and as he sat there, he saw what he had done. He immediately ran to Adriana, who had been sitting in the living room. Jonathan fell to his knees in front of her and laid his head on her lap, weeping.