Mary and Alvin Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"On this ring are engraved two parallel lines. They represent the long road you travelled to be by my side." Mary held up her left hand and Alvin slipped the ring on her finger.

The mayor nodded to Mary, and it was her turn to speak.

"Alvin, I did not know, when I travelled so far, that I would find true love at my destination. Destination and destiny are two words that mean much the same thing. It was my destiny to find you. Now that I have, I pledge to you my love and devotion, from this day forward, forever."

She smiled at Theo as she took the remaining ring from the pillow.

"This ring is engraved with a pattern of waves. They symbolize the journey through life that brought you to this day. I will sail with you, Alvin, to the farthest horizon."

She placed the ring on Alvin's finger.

Mayor Trundy cleared his throat, then intoned in a loud voice, "By the power invested in me by the state of Maine and the city of Londonderry, I pronounce you husband and wife."

Mary stepped into Alvin's arms and turned her face up to his. She had never known such a moment of euphoria. She felt removed from her body, lighter than air. She could hear the applause and cheering all around her, but it sounded as if it were coming from miles away.

As he kissed his bride, Alvin was overcome with a sense of rightness, as if everything in the world that had ever hurt him had been rendered harmless. He held Mary tight and felt at peace in a way he had not for many years.

Charlotte and Tim began to play the hornpipe from Handel's Water Music. Mary and Alvin turned to the applauding crowd, Mary waving her bouquet in the air. They stepped down from the stage, but their plan to walk down the center aisle was thwarted. The guests had filled in the entire space within the grove, and they found themselves wading into the crowd, surrounded by backslappers and handshakers.

Danni stepped in front of them and gave out a loud, shrill whistle. "Come on people, let them through!" she called out.

The crowd instantly parted.

"Natural born cop," Alvin said to Danni as she walked ahead of them, keeping their path clear. They passed beneath the trees and Alvin hugged her and patted her on the back.

"I love you both so much," Danni said, moving to hug Mary.

"We love you, too," Mary said, kissing her cheek.

Jennifer came out of the grove and threw her arms around her father. He spun her around and kissed her forehead. She turned, grabbed Mary's arms and began jumping up and down. The guests were flowing out of the grove, some towards the newlyweds, more towards the tent, and the bar within it. Diana and Bob came to Alvin and Mary, and Mary's brothers and their families were close behind them.

Mary looked around. "Where's Mom?" she asked Steve.

Steve looked back towards the grove. "She was with us just a minute ago. Oh, She's right there."

Their mother stood just off to one side of the path, looking over at them.

"Is she okay?" Dan asked.

"Let me go talk to her," Mary said. She kissed Alvin on the cheek. "I'll be right back, love."

She walked over to her mother, who was standing, holding her purse in front of her, watching her approach.

"Mom? Is everything okay?" Mary asked as she reached her. She put her hand on her mother's arm.

"Everything is just fine, Mary," Jean said. "I just needed a moment to take it all in." There were tears in her eyes as she took Mary's hand. "The way you look at him, Mary. And the way he looks at you. I know I gave you a hard time. Will you forgive me?"

"Oh, Mama, there is nothing to forgive." They hugged each other, long and hard. Hand in hand, they walked over to where Alvin was shaking hands with Mayor Trundy. Mary thanked the mayor for his service, while Jean turned Alvin to the side.

"I just want to tell you, Alvin, that I am very happy for the both of you. This feels right to me in a way I did not anticipate."

Alvin nodded his head. "Thank you, Jean," he said, "That means a lot to me." He leaned down and kissed her cheek. "I'm a man who keeps his promises," he whispered.

"I believe you are," she replied.

The last people out of the grove were Tim, holding hands with both Molly and Theo, and Charlotte, with her arm over Rachel's shoulder. After a flurry of group hugs, they all walked together to the tent, where Mary and Alvin made the rounds, greeting each of their guests. Mary had felt anxious that most of the invitees were Alvin's friends and family, and only a few were her own, but as they moved from table to table, the warmth she felt from everyone soothed her concerns. It was particularly important to her that Alvin's sister Diana hugged and kissed her with enthusiasm. The two of them had been friendly, but had not become close.

When she reached her friends from work, she lingered, while Alvin moved on to a table full of his Alexander relatives. As she moved on to catch up with him, she felt a touch on her arm and turned to see a short, balding man standing next to her.

"Excuse me, dear, I think I'm going to call for my ride, but I didn't want to go without telling you that I wish the two of you all the best."

"Why, thank you," Mary said, holding out her hand, "I don't think we've met."

He shook her hand. "Stanley Pierce, ma'am."

"Oh." She was momentarily taken aback at meeting Bonnie's father. "It's wonderful to meet you Mr. Pierce, but we haven't eaten yet, are you sure you want to leave so soon?"

"I, um, well, you see, I thank you for the invitation and I am glad I came, but, well, it's not an easy day for me."

Mary put a hand on his shoulder. "No, I guess not. Would you like me to get Charlotte and Jennifer so you can say goodbye?"

"Not...no, no thank you, ma'am." He looked embarrassed and Mary remembered that Alvin had made some vague comments about Stanley avoiding Jennifer.

"Please help me understand, Mr. Pierce, why don't you want to see your own granddaughter?"

"I just can't," he said looking at the ground and shaking his head.

"Mr. Pierce, it's not my business, but Jennifer is who she is, and you ought to be able to accept that..."

Stanley looked at her with a surprised expression. "Oh dear, oh no. You think I don't see her because she's lesbian?"

"Well, if that's not it..." But then she understood. "Oh. You can't look at her and not see Bonnie," she said softly.

"All these years and I can't get over it." He dropped his head again and Mary realized that he was crying. She looked around for Alvin, but did not see him. She took Stanley's hand.

"Mr. Pierce, I want to tell you something. I know what it's like to be a young girl and lose a parent. I felt lost when my father died. I needed all the support I could get. I can't imagine how badly losing Bonnie hurt you, but I have a pretty good idea how badly it hurt your granddaughters. I don't mean to be cruel, Mr. Pierce, but you should have been there for her, no matter how much it hurt. You lost a daughter, but she lost a mother, and a grandfather."

Stanley looked up at her. "I feel ashamed, Mary."

She touched his cheek, wiping away a tear with her thumb. "It's not too late, Mr. Pierce."

He sniffled and nodded. "Call me Stanley, please, we are a kind of family now."

"Thank you for coming today, Stanley. Yes, we are family, and you are welcome in my home. But so is Jennifer. Do you understand?"

"I do, Mary." He looked around the tent. "I suppose I ought to stay for the meal as long as I'm here."

"Stay as long as you like, Stanley."

He turned and hobbled toward the dining tables. Mary looked around the tent and saw Alvin coming toward her. My handsome husband, she thought.

"Lost you in the crowd there for a bit, good swamped by Laura's kids" he said, taking her hand. "You ready to eat?"

"I'm kind of too hyped up to have much appetite."

"Well, but until we eat, nobody eats, so I guess we have to go through the motions, anyway."

Once she sat down to her lobster tail though, Mary found that she was hungry. She and Alvin sat at the head table with Tim, Charlotte and Jennifer and Danni, and her mother and brothers. Their meal was constantly interrupted by the clinking of glasses, but Mary never got tired of kissing Alvin.

When they finished eating, Tim rose and called for attention. The guests grew quiet, and he spoke.

"Ladies and Gentleman," he began, "I know you share my joy and great honor to be here to witness the uniting of my big brother and my new little sister."

"Always wanted a little sister," he grinned at Mary, as the guests applauded. He led them in raising their glasses, and continued, "To Alvin and Mary, may their love only grow."

Steve stood next. "On behalf of the whole Winslow family, I'd like to say how pleased we are to be here with you all today in the lovely state of Maine. My father is no longer with us, and neither are Alvin's parents, but if they were, I know how proud they would be, and how much happiness they would take from this day. Alvin, Mary, here is to you on this most special of days, and to a long life together, filled with love and happiness."

Before the applause for Steve's toast died down, Charlotte and Jennifer stood up. Charlotte spoke first. "We didn't plan to say anything, but what the hell. We just want to say that we are so lucky to have the best dad in the world, and now we have the best stepmother, too. But, Mary, remember I told you, we are not going to call you Mom."

Mary laughed, along with the guests, but Alvin's eyes sought out Stanley Pierce. He thought he saw the faintest trace of a grin on his face.

Jennifer held up one finger. "Wait, wait, I have one other thing to add. Dad, Mary, we would like a little sister, too."

Mary clapped her hands and kissed Alvin on the cheek as the guests applauded. Tim rose as the girls sat down, and put up his hands for silence.

"Now, you may have noticed," he intoned, "that there is no wedding cake on display. Well, that is because Alvin and Mary decided to do something a little different. So Audrey, if you will..."

Audrey and her assistants came into the tent, each carrying a tray.

"Ladies and gentlemen, wedding whoopie pies!"

"What is a whoopie pie?" Mary's mother leaned over and asked her.

"It's two round pieces of chocolate cake, with cream filling between them. Kind of like a big chocolate cake oreo."

"Oh," Jean said, "Well, that sounds good."

Audrey came down the head table and placed a whoopie pie in front of each guest. Steve started to cut his with his fork. "Pick it up and eat it with your hands," Mary laughed.

When they finished their dessert, Alvin led Mary by the hand to the center of the dance floor. They had chosen Adele's version of Bob Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love for their wedding song. The piano intro began, and Alvin took Mary's hand in his and placed his other hand in the small of her back. They began to move together, softly swaying.

When the rain is blowing in your face

And the whole world is on your case

I could offer you a warm embrace

To make you feel my love

Mary looked into Alvin's eyes and moved closer to him.He led her in a slow rotation. She glanced at his hand, so much larger than the one it embraced. So strong, yet so gentle, she thought. She pulled it to her lips and kissed it.

When the evening shadows and the stars appear

And there is no one there to dry your tears

I will hold you for a million years

To make you feel my love

Alvin brought Mary's hand back to his own lips. He wrapped his arm tighter around her waist. He had no sense of people watching, he was lost in Mary's eyes.

I know you haven't made your mind up yet

But I will never do you wrong

I've known it from the moment that we met

No doubt in my mind where you belong

Mary took her hand from Alvin's and wrapped her arm around his back. She turned her head and laid it upon his chest.

I'd go hungry; I'd go black and blue

And I'd go crawling down the avenue

No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do

To make you feel my love

Alvin kissed Mary's head and nuzzled his face into her hair. He closed his eyes and imagined his mother and father were watching them dance. He turned Mary in a graceful circle, then lifted her head and stared again into her eyes.

The storms are raging on the rolling sea

And on the highway of regret

The winds of change are blowing wild and free

You ain't seen nothing like me yet

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true

There is nothing that I wouldn't do

Go to the ends of this Earth for you

To make you feel my love,

To make you feel my love

Their motion slowed, then stopped as the song came to a close. They kissed, oblivious to all cheers and applause. Mary touched Alvin's face, and, in perfect harmony, they each whispered the words, "I love you."

The DJ's voice came over the mic and announced, "We would now like to do a special request from the groom, and everyone is invited to join in. Come on folks, let's dance!"

"What's this?" Mary asked with a puzzled expression, as a disco beat began playing. Alvin took her by the hand and began dancing. She followed him, laughing as she recognized the song.

So I'd like to know where, you got the notion

Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

To rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby

Don't tip the boat over

Jennifer and Danni joined them on the dance floor, then Robby and Carmella. Charlotte held hands with Theo and brought him out to dance as well. Mary looked around and saw Kelly Martin dancing with her husband Jim. She saw Laura leading her kids on to the floor, and she saw Dan and Beth and Bob and Diana getting up to join in.

Ever since our voyage of love began

Your touch has thrilled me like the rush of the wind

And your arms have held me safe from a rolling sea

There's always been a quiet place to harbor you and me

The floor filled with dancers, and those still in their seats clapped along with the beat. Alvin felt so exhilarated, he danced with a carefree abandon that he rarely experienced. Mary danced alongside him, delighted by his exuberance.

Our love is like a ship on the ocean

We've been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion

Alvin held out his hands and Mary interlaced her fingers with his. She found herself laughing and crying at the same time as he spun her around in circles. He pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her. They continued to spin until both became so dizzy that they almost staggered and fell.

rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby

Don't tip the boat over

Mary and Alvin stood in the middle of the dance floor, holding each other and catching their breath, while the song faded and the guest broke out in applause.

The music started up again and Steve put his hand on Mary's shoulder.

"Alvin," he said, "I would like to have the honor of the next dance with your lovely bride. It's, well traditionally, it's the father's dance, but..."

"Of course, Steve," Alvin nodded. Mary smiled, kissed him on the cheek, then turned to dance with her brother. Alvin watched them dance away, and felt a hand on his own arm. Charlotte was beside him. He hugged her, then took her hand and led her into their own dance.

"I don't think I have ever seen you this happy," Charlotte told her father.

"Well, maybe the last time I was this happy was when your sister was born."

They did a turn and saw Mary, dancing now with her brother Dan.

"She looks so beautiful," Charlotte said.

"You'll be a beautiful bride yourself someday, sweetheart."

"Just need the groom."

"He's out there, honey."

The song ended and they parted. Alvin danced with Jennifer next, then his sister Diana and her daughter Rachel. He danced with Mary's mother and with Carmella. But no matter who he was with, his eyes would search the floor and find Mary. He watched her as she danced with each of her brothers. He felt proud of her, so beautiful and so graceful. She danced with Tim and with Bob, and to Alvin's amusement, with Uncle Harry, with Theo and even with Mayor Trundy.

After his dance with Carmella, he decided he'd like to take a break, get a drink and rejoin his bride, but as he was leaving the dance floor, he felt a touch on his arm. He turned and Danni was there.

"Oh, Danni," he said, "Would you like to dance?"

"No, not really, but I just wanted to say something, if you don't mind."

Alvin stepped over to the edge of the tent, where it was marginally quieter, gesturing her to follow him.

"What is it, Danni?"

"I just really wanted to thank you for making me feel like a part of your family."

"Danni, you are a part of our family, don't ever doubt it."

"I just...I am so happy to be here, and be part of your celebration." Then Danni, who was always so strong, so stoic, began to sniff back tears. "I miss my family, Alvin, I don't know what I would do without Jen, and without you."

Alvin took her in his arms. "I can't fix things with your family, Danni, but I can tell you, I think of you as my own daughter, and I love you."

"Thank you, Alvin. I love you, too, and I think Mary is fantastic."

"I'm surrounded with wonderful women," he said, as they walked back on to the dance floor. He looked across the tent and saw Mary, dancing with a young man dressed in blue, and smiled.

Mary had seen the young man walking towards her as she finished her dance with Mayor Trundy. As the music ended, the mayor gave her a ceremonial bow, congratulated her once more, and turned away. The man came closer and Mary was startled to see a younger version of Alvin.

"Excuse me, ma'am," he said, "My name is Andrew Faulkner. Congratulations."

"Thank you," Mary said. She realized that he was wearing Coast Guard dress blues. "You're Diana and Bob's son, aren't you?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I was hoping you would give me the honor of a dance."

"I'd be glad to," she said. Andrew took her hand and guided her around the floor.

"If I recall, you are stationed in California?" she asked him.

"Sausalito, Ma'am."

"Please, just call me Mary."

"Not Aunt Mary?" he asked. He smiled at her, and it was Alvin's smile. And yet, he was not Alvin. He was a younger version, handsome and charming, and Mary thought she ought to be attracted to him, as she was to Alvin, but she could not see him that way, and understood more than ever that it was Alvin's character, forged over years of an often hard life, that made her love him so much.

Andrew stopped dancing and took a step back. Mary looked over her shoulder and Alvin was there. The two men embraced, patting each other on the back.

"I'm so glad you could make it, Andy!"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"I see you have met my bride," Alvin said, beaming at Mary.

"I have, and I expect you'll want her back now." He held out his hand, and Mary shook it. "Nice to meet you, Mary."

Alvin wrapped his arm around Mary's waist as Andrew walked away. "Don't be thinking you'll replace me already," he said.

"I don't want to replace you," she replied, draping her arms over his shoulders as they began to dance.

"Good," he said, kissing her, "Maybe we ought to start thinking about slipping away. It'll be getting dark soon."

"One more dance." She rested her head on his chest, as he led her in a slow swaying turn. Across the floor, she saw a couple dancing. It took her a moment to realize who they were. Jennifer was dancing with her grandfather.

"Alvin, look," she said, nodding her head towards them.

"Is that Stanley dancing with Jennifer?"

"Yes," she smiled, feeling a tear form in her eye.

"Why do I think you had something to do with that?" He asked, squeezing her tighter.

"No, baby, I think it's just a good day for love," she said. She rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes. When the dance ended, she raised her face and kissed him, then they walked hand in hand off the dance floor.