Mary and Alvin's Covid Christmas

Story Info
The joys and sorrows of Christmas during the pandemic.
9.8k words
4.8
12.7k
16

Part 37 of the 37 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 11/14/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
895 Followers

Mary was standing at the stove when Alvin came into the kitchen. Hannah was at the table, kneeling on a chair and concentrating on a coloring book. He poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down next to her.

"You got a kiss for Papa?" he asked.

"You can kiss my face," she said, busy with her crayon.

"Well, I'll do just that," he replied, and kissed her on the cheek.

Mary put a plate of scrambled eggs on the table. "Put away your coloring book," she told her daughter, "and eat your breakfast."

"I want ketchup."

Mary grimaced but went to the cabinet to get the ketchup. Alvin watched her cross the kitchen, wearing a Maine Black Bears sweatshirt and a pair of yoga pants decorated with a pattern of candy canes and holly sprigs. As she returned to the table, he winked at her and said, "I just thought of something special I'd like for Christmas."

"You think you've been that nice this year?" she asked him, taking the cap off the ketchup bottle and handing it to Hannah.

"I reckon I been nice enough that I can afford a little bit of naughty now."

Mary laughed and watched Hannah pour ketchup on her eggs with the same concentration she had given to her coloring. "Not too much, sweet girl..." she said, "...yeah, that's way too much."

She turned back to the stove. "How do you want your eggs?" she asked Alvin.

"I'll take scrambled, but hold the half bottle of ketchup, please." He watched her crack eggs into a bowl and whip them.

"I do like them pants," he said, "I ought to get you another pair."

Hannah giggled.

"What's so funny?" Alvin asked her.

"When you say you like her pants, you mean you like her butt."

Alvin stared at her. "You know you are six years old, right?"

"Six going on sixteen," Mary muttered.

Alvin watched her plate the eggs and toast and thought, the kid's right, though. He still marveled over the fact that after a decade as a widower, he had somehow managed to meet and marry such a beautiful younger woman.

Mary brought the plates to the table and sat down.

"So, you are still determined to go in to the wharf today? It's Christmas Eve." she asked.

"Still got about a half dozen Christmas trees we ain't sold. Usually, we'd be sold out by now."

"I wish you'd stay home. We don't need the money that badly."

"It was a slow summer, with the virus and the economy going bad and all."

"I know that, but you have two boats in the yard for winter repairs. That's good money. We aren't hurting."

"But what about the folks who still need a tree? They come down and we are closed, what will they do?"

"That's not your problem."

"If they have always gotten one from us before, then it is."

Mary sighed. She knew it was pointless to argue with him about it. She admired, even cherished, his sense of responsibility; it was one of the things that she had always found most attractive about him. But sometimes, he carried it to what she considered unreasonable extremes.

"Well, be careful, please," she implored him.

"People around here are pretty good about wearing masks," he shrugged, "especially since things got worse again. And we are all outdoors."

"If you have to ask, wear your mask," Hannah chanted.

"That's right, honey," Mary told her, stroking her hair.

She turned to Alvin. "By the way, I have a few things for you to pick up while you are out."

"So, it ain't safe for me to sell a few Christmas trees, but it's alright if I go into a crowded store the day before Christmas?"

Hannah looked up. "Are you guys fighting?"

"No, we are not," Mary said.

"We are just figuring out a few things," Alvin told her.

"Okay," Hannah said, taking another bite of ketchup and eggs, "Fighting is not allowed at Christmas time."

"So, what do we need?" Alvin asked.

"More brown sugar. And I don't think I have enough tape to finish wrapping all the gifts. Oh, and horseradish to make the cocktail sauce for the shrimp."

She looked at the mess on Hannah's plate. "Maybe you ought to get more ketchup, too."

Alvin finished his eggs, stood up and kissed Hannah on the top of her head. Mary rose, and they kissed.

"I don't expect I'll be too late," Alvin told her, "Call me if you think of anything else you need."

As he was backing out of the garage, he saw his daughter Jennifer walking toward her house on the other side of the barren cornfield. He stopped his truck and tapped the horn. She looked over her shoulder, then turned and walked back to him.

"Mary's got me picking up a few things while I'm in town," he said as she approached, "You need anything?"

Jennifer stopped, kicked at the ground a few times, then looked up and shook her head. "No, I think we are good to go."

"Well, alright then. Danni on patrol today?"

"Yeah, but she's she's got the late shift tomorrow. So, not too bad."

"We'll have a nice holiday, even if it's just us. Can't lie though, I'm going to miss your sister and the rest of the family."

"Yeah, me too. But Charlotte is going to set up a Zoom meeting tomorrow so we can all talk and see each other, so at least there's that."

"Well, we will have plenty to eat, that's one thing. Some don't. It's wicked good to have a farmer in the family."

"You know, Daddy, I feel kind of bad that we had such a good year, when so many other people are hurting."

"You got nothing to feel bad about. It's a good thing that folks can buy local straight from the farm."

"I guess," she said. "Well, I want to say goodbye to Danni before she goes on duty."

"Alright," Alvin said, "Love you, sweetie."

"Love you, too, Daddy."

Jennifer walked down to her house, thinking about what her father had said. She was glad that so many people had taken to buying pork, eggs and produce from her farm stand, and at the farmer's market, but she could not help thinking about the reasons why.

She went in the backdoor and kicked off her muddy shoes in the utility room. Danni was at the kitchen sink, rinsing out her coffee mug.

Jennifer leaned against the door jamb and watched her until she put the mug in the dish drainer and turned around.

"Mmm, I love a hot chick in a uniform," she said.

Danni smiled. "You love me out of the uniform, too."

"I sure do," Jennifer said. She crossed the kitchen and draped her arms over Danni's shoulders, rose on tiptoes and kissed her.

"Where's the rugrat?" she asked.

"Don't call me rugrat," Bonita said, coming into the kitchen, still in her pajamas.

"How about ankle biter?"

"I don't like that neither."

"How about sweetie cutie baby?"

"That's just dumb," Bonita said, climbing on to a kitchen chair.

Jennifer sat down across the table from her. "Well, I'm sorry, I'll just call you Princess Bonita from now on."

"That's okay."

"Good. Now, I have something to tell you."

"What?"

"There was a special news report that said Santa Claus was going to be super busy this Christmas, because so many boys and girls have been extra good this year, wearing their masks and everything. So they are asking that if there is anything that we can do to make his job easier, he would be very grateful."

"Like what?"

"Like make it so he doesn't have to stop at so many places. So I called the North Pole hotline and told them that you could sleep over with Hannah tonight, and then he could just make one stop instead of two."

"Okay. I like that idea."

"Well, I'm glad you approve. Now, go get dressed. Mama Danni has to go to work, and I've got things to do too, so you can spend the day with Mama Mary and Hannah."

"And Papa."

"Papa went to the wharf."

"Poo."

"Don't talk like that."

"You say swears all the time."

"I'm a grown up. Now go get dressed."

Bonita hopped down off her chair. "When I'm grown up, I'm going to say swears all the time," she said as she left the kitchen.

"I assume you ran this sleepover plan by Mary," Danni said as she pulled on her jacket.

Jennifer stood and went to her. "I did, and she accused me of having ulterior motives." She nuzzled her face against Danni's neck and kissed her under her ear.

"No, not you?"

"I admit it. Visions of your sugar plum are dancing through my head."

Danni laughed and kissed her. "I don't know if Santa is going to bring you anything," she said, "You're a very naughty girl."

She gently pushed Jennifer away, while kissing her on the forehead. "Now, let me get to work."

As always, the last thing she did before she left the house was open the gun safe and take out her service weapon.

"See you later, baby," she called as she stepped out into the chilly morning. There was a thin coating of frost on the cruiser's windshield, but she decided that the defrosters would take care of it. She got in, started the engine, cranked the heater to max, then radioed in to start her shift.

She spent the next couple of hours patrolling along Route Three. Traffic was light, and while there were the usual speeders, she didn't feel much like ticketing anyone on Christmas Eve. She did make an exception for a Saab with New York plates that was doing sixty five in a forty zone.The only other vehicle she pulled over was a battered Chevy with no tail lights, but she let the driver go with a warning. The most exciting thing that happened all morning was a report that a woman in Liberty thought there was an intruder in her house. Danni investigated, and found a raccoon in the pantry, eating a box of Rice Krispies.

Midway through her shift she pulled into the Village Store in Searsmont to get a cup of coffee. She went to the counter to pay for it and waited while an elderly man in a Celtics jacket and a Navy veteran cap debated which scratch off tickets might be the luckiest. Her shoulder radio squawked. She stepped into the snack aisle and lowered her face to her shoulder.

"Ortega. What's up?"

The scratchy voice of the dispatcher came over the radio. "Hey, Danni, you still out around Montville?"

"Yeah, Carol. Not far. I'm at the store in Searsmont."

"Great. Got a guy calling from Florida, upset that he can't get hold of his Mom. Been trying for a couple of days. Told him we'd send someone out on a wellness check."

"I can probably be there in ten minutes."

"I'll send you the particulars."

Danni returned to the counter. The Navy vet had his scratch offs, but was trying to decide what to do after finding out that his preferred brand of snuff was sold out. She waved to the clerk, mouthed "I've got to go," and leaned forward to set two dollar bills on the counter. She glanced at the man.

"Sir," she said, "please put on your mask."

"It's not a law!" he shouted at her as she left the store.

Danni got into the cruiser and checked her info screen. The woman was named Ruth Hollins. Her address was on North Perkins Ridge Road. That was closer than she had expected. She pulled out of the parking lot and reached it in just a few minutes.

The trailer sat at the end of a long, potholed dirt driveway, in the middle of a weedy yard strewn with trash bags and broken down appliances. A rusty Ford pickup sat near the front door. Three of its tires were flat. The fourth was gone, and the wheel rested on a large flat rock.

Danni parked and pulled on a pair of gloves as she weaved through the trash. A rough plywood ramp led to the front door. It creaked loudly as she carefully walked up it. She rapped hard on the door, calling out "Sheriff's Department."

When she heard no response, she stepped over to the grimy window, but could not see inside. She went back to the door and turned the knob. The door stuck for a moment, then opened. She was struck by the odor of rotted food. She double checked her mask, then stepped into the dark interior of the trailer.

"Mrs. Hollins?" she called, "Sheriff's Department."

She listened intently, and thought she heard a wheezing cough. She found a light switch next to the door and flipped it. Nothing happened. There was a lamp on a table nearby. When she tried that, it cast a dim light through a cluttered living room.

An obese woman was lying, tilted back, in a leatherette recliner. Danni's first impression was that she was dead, but as she crossed the room, she could hear her shallow, rattling breath. She was wearing a sweat soaked nightgown, and by the smell emanating from the chair, Danni could tell that she had both defecated and urinated on herself.

She reached down and put her fingers on the woman's wrist. Even through her latex gloves, Danni could feel that it was hot to the touch and her pulse was barely perceptible. "Mrs. Hollins," she said in a soft voice, "Can you hear me?"

The woman opened her eyes and looked around. She made a guttural sound that did not form words.

"Mrs. Hollins...Ruth...My name is Danielle Ortega. I am a Deputy Sheriff. I'm going to get you some help."

She stepped back and opened her radio.

"Dispatch, this is Ortega."

"What's up Danni?" Carol answered immediately.

"I'm at the Hollins house. She's very sick. We need a bus."

"You think it's the..."

"Definitely."

"Jeezum. I'll send them right out. Probably best you get out of the house while you wait for them."

"Ten-four," Danni said, and cut the connection. Mrs. Hollins had managed to focus her eyes and was looking up at her. From the expression on her face, it was obvious that she was terrified. She raised her shaking hand, and Danni took it in her own.

"I'm right here, Ruth. I'm not going to go anywhere. You're not going to be alone."

She knelt on the floor, and held Ruth's hand until she heard the ambulance coming up the driveway. As she rose to her feet, Ruth squeezed her hand and said something that Danni could not make out.

"What was that?" she asked, leaning closer.

"Tell Bobby I love him," Ruth said in a barely audible whisper.

"Is that your son, Ruth?"

She nodded her head.

"He loves you too, Ruth. He sent me here to help you."

She wasn't sure, but Danni thought she saw the slightest hint of a smile at the corners of the woman's mouth.

The paramedics came into the house, dressed in full protective gear. Danni stepped back to get out of their way, but while one went straight to Mrs. Hollins, the other turned to her.

"How long have you been in the house, deputy?" he asked.

"I'd guess ten minutes. I could check the log, see when I called in."

"Don't bother. Did you touch the patient?"

"I checked her pulse and held her hand, but I have my gloves on."

Danni could tell he grimaced, even through his mask and face shield.

"Alright," he said, "But even with the mask, I'm concerned about how long you've been breathing this air. You are going to have to follow us back to the hospital and get tested."

"I assumed so."

"But you stayed with her anyway?"

Danni shrugged. "It's the job."

The paramedic nodded. "Yeah, it's the job."

Danni stepped out into the yard to let the medics work. A light snow had begun to fall. Good, she thought, I hope it snows forever. I hope it covers the trash and the truck and the trailer three feet deep. I hope it covers the death and the sickness and the heartache as if none of it ever happened. I just don't want to see any of it anymore.

***

Jennifer and her farmhand Yusef were cleaning out the alpaca barn when her phone rang. She set aside her rake and fished it from her pocket. She smiled when she saw it was Danni calling.

"Hey baby."

She immediately knew something was wrong from the long pause on the other end.

"Honey, I am afraid I've got some bad news," Danni said at last, "I've been exposed."

"Oh shit, how did that happen?"

"I'll tell you the details later. But I got tested. They said they would try to rush the results, but with Christmas, who knows? And even if they do get it done quick, a test this soon is unreliable, I'll have to get another one in a few days."

"So, what should we do?"

Danni sighed. "I think you and Bonita ought to get some cloths and stuff, enough for two weeks, and go up to stay at your dad's house. I have to self isolate."

"I'll isolate with you. I don't care."

"And Bonita? What if we both...get sick?"

"Well, no...I guess you're right. Goddamn it, when are we going to have the vaccine?"

"Soon, baby."

"Not soon enough. Where are you now?"

"I'm still at the hospital. I'll be home in a little while. They are going have to send somebody over to sanitize the cruiser."

"Jeezum crow, Danni. You're going to be on lockdown for Christmas."

"It can't be helped, baby."

Jennifer tried to hold in a sob as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Danni, I'm scared. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Jen. It will be okay."

"Alright, I'll see you when you get home."

Yusef was staring anxiously at Jennifer as she slipped her phone back into her hip pocket.

"Is Miss Danni sick?" he asked.

Jennifer shook her head. "No, but she has been exposed to the corona virus."

Yusef waved his hand at her. "You go, take care of your family, I will finish here."

"Thank you, Yusef."

As she started for the door of the barn, he called her name. She turned back to face him.

"As-salamu alaykum, Miss Jennifer. Be careful."

She nodded and waved, then turned and ran to the big house.

Mary was sitting on the couch, with Angus, the cat, on her lap, Hannah on one side of her and Bonita on the other, reading The Polar Express. When Jennifer burst through the door she knew immediately that something was wrong.

"Mary, I gotta talk to you right away," Jennifer blurted.

Mary nodded and calmly told the girls that they would finish the book in a few minutes. She lifted Angus off her lap, stood and gestured for Jennifer to follow her to the kitchen. As soon as they were out of the girls' sight, Jennifer began to cry.

Mary held her in her arms. "What's wrong, honey? Talk to me."

Jennifer described her conversation with Danni, her words interrupted by sniffles. Mary listened closely.

"Well, first of all, let's not get too freaked out," she said when Jennifer finished. "Exposed doesn't mean infected."

"I know, but..."

"Don't start thinking the worst. And if she has caught it, she isolated right away. That's good. What if she'd come home and found out she had been infected after exposing all of us?"

"Yeah, that's good."

"And she's young and strong and healthy. If she does get sick, the odds are great that she'll beat it."

"She's tough as nails," Jennifer said, nodding.

"And I think she's got a good plan. I'll help you get what you need from the house."

"Okay, but what will we tell the girls?"

Mary took a deep breath. "We tell them the truth."

She took Jennifer's hand and they walked back into the living room. Jennifer sat in the rocking chair.

"Come here, Nita," she said.

Bonita slid off the couch and climbed into her mother's lap. Mary sat down and wrapped her arm around Hannah. She looked at Jennifer and nodded.

"So, um..." Jennifer started to speak, but stumbled. She looked at Mary with pleading eyes.

"Babies," Mary said, "I want you to listen carefully. You know that the most important thing about the virus is that if somebody might have it, they have to make sure that they don't give it to anybody else, right?"

Both girls nodded, but looked confused.

"Okay, well, we think that Mama Danni might have met somebody who is sick with the virus. So, to be safe, she is going to have to keep away from everybody for a few days, just until we make sure that she's okay."

"Is she going to get sick?" Hannah asked.

"We don't know, honey."

Hannah started to cry. Mary hugged her tighter.

Bonita scowled and shook her head. "Mama Danni won't get sick," she said emphatically.

"She might, honey."

"No. She won't."

"You're probably right, Nita," Mary said, "But until we know for sure, you and Mama Jen will stay here, just to be safe, okay."

MelissaBaby
MelissaBaby
895 Followers