Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me off the leash, sir."

He smirked, knowing I'd be eager to pit my wits against someone like him. "It's not that easy, Shepard. You're good but, at the moment, he's better. More importantly, for the moment, he's still a Spectre. Practically untouchable. We're going to need the Council on our side before we make any sort of move against him."

"Understood."

"We should be getting close to the Citadel. Head upstairs in a while and have Joker bring the ship into dock. We'll have to speak with the ambassador about obtaining an audience with the Council."

I headed back out into the mess, grabbing a bottle of water, still feeling rather parched. Swallowing that down quickly, I grabbed another one before taking a seat with Ashley and Kaidan, both having watched me neck the first bottle. "Thirsty, sir?" Kaidan joked.

"Just a little." Turning to Ashley, I added, "Congratulations on the... move."

"Thank you, sir. Will take a little time adjusting to working on a ship."

"Haven't been on here long myself. None of us have."

"You okay?" Kaidan asked.

"I'm fine for the moment. Still have a bit of a headache but that's okay. Ash?"

"Fine, sir. Just... You know, losing people and all. Never really get used to it. Entire team was wiped out by those... things."

"You survived, Ash. Now you fight on, carry their legacy, fight in their names."

That earned a slight smile. "You do the same?"

"In a manner of speaking... You obviously know who I am and what I've done."

"Everyone does, sir," Alenko stated.

"Goddamned war hero, sir," Ashley added.

"Didn't feel like one then. I was just lucky to survive. Lot of people died around me. And..." I trailed off and sighed. They didn't need telling that I'd lost someone close. "Anyway, just wanted to make sure you guys are alright. Ever been to the Citadel?" Both shook their heads. "Me either. Joker should be bringing us in. Should be a great view from the cockpit."

We headed up together, passing through the CIC, Anderson standing at the galaxy map, a couple of enlisted crew around him, taking notes. He glanced my way and nodded as we passed. Down the bridge towards the cockpit, Joker recognised us coming.

"Flight Lieutenant Moreau."

He gave me a look. "Come on, Commander. Everyone else calls me Joker." I gave him a look and smirked. "Been to the Citadel before?"

"None of us have. That's why we're here."

"Good. Now watch a genius at work as I bring this baby into dock."

As the Citadel came into view, it was the sort of thing you'd see in sci-fi movies. But the ship that was passed was something else entirely, Alenko informing us it was the Destiny Ascension, flagship of the Citadel fleet. In addition to that, we saw numerous turian, asari and salarian vessels, all of them part of the fleet that protected the Citadel. There were not just warships as there were what seemed like thousands of freighters and transport ships. The Citadel was very much the hub of galactic politics and trade, so I'd read and been told.

Docking completed, Anderson met us after we'd set foot onto the Citadel, leading us towards the Presidium and the ambassador's office. Soon as we arrived, Udina called the Council and things went downhill rather fast. Still, despite what sounded like a bad tempered conversation, the Council had launched an investigation into our claims and did grant us an audience for later that day, so that was something. But Udina knew they wouldn't take kindly to accusing Saren of treason.

"Well then the Council can kiss my arse," I stated.

He just gave me a look. I hate politicians. All they do is talk endlessly. "Settle down, Commander. You've already done more than enough to jeopardise your candidacy for the Spectres. The mission on Eden Prime was a chance to prove you can get the job done. Instead, Nihlus is dead and the beacon destroyed."

"And the causes of that are all in my report," I practically growled.

"It was Saren, not Shepard," Anderson added, nearly as pissed off as I was.

"Then you'd better hope C-Sec's investigation turns up something. Otherwise the Council will use this as an excuse to keep you out of the Spectres."

I felt like saying 'I don't really give a shit', but that would have been throwing it back in the face of Anderson, as I had a feeling he'd been the one to put my name forward as a candidate. As I stayed silent, Udina requested Anderson to remain, giving the three of us free time for the moment but to meet at the Council Tower in a few hours.

Not knowing the Presidium at all, we eventually started talking to some sort of Virtual Interface called Avina. It, or she, as it was voiced by an asari, gave us directions to get around, and was full of information about the history of the Citadel, the races that inhabited it, and even some history about humanity and our role there. We were still rather new, having only entered the galactic scene in the past few decades. Our first contact was with the turians, which didn't go well, engaging in a short war with them before the asari made their presence known, and humanity realised that the galaxy was teeming with sentient life, all as advanced, if not even more advanced than our own.

I wouldn't say the Presidium was exactly teeming with life, but we saw many races, including hanar, which are big, pink... well, jellyfish looking things. Volus, who seemed to wear suits and spoke in a strange manner. Even saw a quarian or two about. Didn't know much about them but knew they generally kept to themselves as a people.

Part of me really wanted a beer but I didn't think that would be a sensible decision prior to the meeting, the three of us eventually ending up at a bar that sold coffee, tea, juices and other non-alcoholic beverages. If I couldn't have alcohol, coffee was always a great option, making sure it was as strong as possible. Ash enjoyed a tea while Alenko was happy with a juice. We chatted a little bit, not getting too personal, figuring we'd probably be spending a lot of time together, so we could get to know each other slowly. Alenko rubbed his forehead from time to time, admitting that he occasionally suffered really bad headaches because of his implant. Seeing our confused faces, he told us he'd explain it later.

Receiving a message from Anderson saying it was time for the meeting, we headed up the Council Tower, which provided a spectacular view of the Presidium. The amount of greenery and blue water made one wonder, considering it was a space station in the middle of space. It really was teeming with all sort of life. The five arms of the Citadel were called wards, and apparently that was where the excitement really happened, and hoped we'd eventually get a chance to visit each one.

Entering the Council chamber itself, it was obvious this was the centre of galactic power. It was exquisite and surprisingly peaceful. Ahead of us were a pair of turians in a heated discussion. One of them was telling the other, called Garrus, to drop his investigation. The other turian turned and strode away, while Garrus turned towards me and seemed to recognise me immediately.

"Commander Shepard?"

He offered his hand, which I accepted. "Garrus Vakarian, C-Sec. I was the officer in charge of the investigation into Saren Arterius."

"Find anything?"

"I've been stonewalled completely, Commander, and that's being completely honest. As he's a Spectre, everything he does is classified. I can't find any hard evidence. I can only wish you luck with the Council. Maybe they'll listen to you."

"Here's hoping."

Anderson was waiting for us, whispering the hearing had commenced already. Walking up the stairs, it was easy to see the power structure. The Council was separate and elevated higher than where Udina was currently standing. And it was going about as well as one could hope. The Council dismissed any allegations against Saren, claiming no evidence. To be honest, we didn't have much, and I still didn't like mentioning my vision.

The Council were no help and Saren was a smug prick, though he knew he held all the cards. He called out Anderson and then went after me. It was obvious to me that he hated humans. Why? No idea, and to be honest, I didn't really care. All I knew was that he was responsible for Eden Prime but was going to get away with it. The outcome as expected, Saren claiming 'justice was served' before his hologram disappeared.

We remained silent as we walked our way back to Udina's office. A meeting was quickly held regarding our next step, though the admission of history between Anderson and Saren, which was obvious from the Council meeting, was a slight surprise, Anderson admitting that it was something we'd have to discuss later. For now, Udina made a sensible suggestion that we needed hard evidence, something that would pin it all on Saren.

The best plan was to find the C-Sec investigator, Garrus, see what he knew and if he could help. It seemed everything was being pinned on me, mentioning it seemed Anderson was getting sidetracked. Thankfully, he admitted stepping aside was for the best considering the history he had with Saren, so for now, everything would be on me.

I was given the name of a C-Sec contact, man by the name of Harkin, who would help us locate Garrus. Other than that, he mentioned contacting a volus by the name of Barla Von. In addition to many things, he was apparently someone who worked for the Shadow Broker. I'd heard of the name before. No-one knew who he, she or they were, but they were an information dealer on a galactic scale.

It had been a long day but I figured we could at least talk to this volus then find Garrus before ending the day. Finding our way to Barla Von's office, trying to converse with him seemed to take forever due to the nature of his breathing. He knew who I was though. Everyone seemed to know I'd arrived. Frankly, it was a little disconcerting.

The good news is that he gave me the requested information. Even better was that he gave it up for free. Apparently Saren had double crossed the Shadow Broker, who was now rather pissed off himself, and eager to see Saren taken down. In addition, Saren had conned another Shadow Broker operative by the name of Fist, who ran Chora's Den, one of the better clubs on the Presidium. In retaliation, the Shadow Broker had decided to send someone after Fist, a krogan bounty hunter who had obviously gained attention, as the krogan were very rare to see anywhere, and he was currently under arrest at C-Sec.

Thanking the volus, we headed to C-Sec straight away. The krogan wasn't under arrest, but he was surrounded by half a dozen officers, one of them questioning his motives regarding his time on the Citadel. The krogan straight out told them he was there to settle a matter with Fist, though he wasn't dumb enough to say he was going to kill him. C-Sec told him to back off and not approach Chora's Den or Fist. The krogan simply took that as a challenge, but as he hadn't done anything wrong, they let him go.

The krogan turned to me and seemed interested as to my presence. "Who are you?" the krogan asked.

"Commander Shepard. You?"

"Urdnot Wrex. Shepard... Shepard... Know that name. Something in the news just recently."

"Yeah, shit hit the fan and now I'm trying to solve it. Don't mean to intrude, but you mentioned Fist and Chora's Den. I believe we might be after the same person."

He looked at me cautiously. Didn't blame him. "What do you want with him?"

"I need evidence to take down Saren in regards to his attack on Eden Prime. Barla Von pointed me in his direction."

"I don't know anything about that. I do know a turian C-Sec officer is working on it though."

"Perhaps the same turian. If you're going after Fist, though, I want in."

I glanced my two colleagues. Ashley kept her face blank, Alenko simply shrugged his shoulders. "Okay, if you want to join us, you can. We're heading to Chora's Den to speak with a contact there. Hopefully he'll point us in the right direction."

Finding our way to Chora's, it was obviously a seedier part of the Presidium. The kind of place I'd frequent while on furlough. Aside from the bar and platform where a number of asari and human women were gyrating, the music was banging and there was a smell in the air. The sort of smell you usually find in a strip bar. Sweat. Desperation. Alcohol. All it did was remind me that I actually hadn't been laid in quite a while. One or two of the dancers certainly took the eye, no shame in running an eye up and down as a waitress walked by with a tray of drinks.

We found Harkin sitting by himself in a dark corner of the club, probably four or five drinks in already. He looked up at us and smirked. I'd dealt with this sort of arsehole before so I glanced at the krogan next to me. "Wrex, if he starts acting up, you have my permission to hit him." The krogan just mumbled as I took a seat across from Harkin. "I know who you are. You might know who I am. All I'm going to do is ask you a few questions. I would like you to answer them." He didn't reply, simply glaring at me, so I asked, "Where's Garrus?"

That made him laugh. "Oh, yes, that's right. You're one of Captain Anderson's pets, aren't you? He's had a hard on for taking down Saren for years now."

"Wrex."

The krogan took one step forward, Harkin holding up his hands. "Whoa, easy now! I know where Garrus is. But, tell me this, has Anderson told you why he has such a problem with Saren? His big secret?"

"No," I replied cautiously.

He laughed again. "Of course he hasn't because it's a fucking embarrassment! The captain used to be a Spectre. Didn't know that, did you? It was all very hush-hush. First human ever inducted and then he blew it."

"How or why?"

"The mission he was on with Saren, he screwed it up. Blames Saren for everything, claims he was set up. But, in the end, they kicked him out."

"If it's such a secret, how do you know?"

He just scoffed. "You think something like that wouldn't get out? The Citadel is full of secrets, and C-Sec hears nearly every single one."

I sighed. "Look, I'm not here about that. Where's Garrus? Tell me, otherwise..." I trailed off, gesturing to Wrex, who pounded a fist into his palm.

Harkin wasn't dumb. "He's been sniffing around Dr. Michel's office. Think he fancies her or something. Not sure. But you'll probably find him there." Harkin then looked at Wrex. "And I know who you are. And I can see the half dozen krogan that have now moved in here. I would suggest you and the Commander don't start any trouble with Fist."

Wrex simply grumbled with laughter. I suggested we head after Garrus, though mentioned once outside, that we would return to deal with Fist.

"Places like that make my skin crawl," Ash stated once outside.

"What? They're harmless places... Mostly..." I replied.

"Don't you feel... used, or dirty after visiting one?"

I laughed. "Ash, I could tell you things about what I get up to while on furlough that would probably change your opinion of me quite quickly."

"Boys on tour?" Alenko asked, obviously rhetorical.

"Ugh, I've seen what some of you soldier boys get up to," Ash muttered.

The med clinic was only a short walk away, though walking into the middle of a gunfight wasn't how I'd intended to find the doctor. Garrus was in cover, noticing us as we all took out our pistols. The thugs were questioning the doctor about a quarian. The doctor told them what they wanted to hear before noticing our presence. Garrus got off a shot, putting a bullet through the head of one of them, the doctor screaming as one of the others grabbed her. I kept him in sights as the firing continued. Once I was confident, I didn't hesitate, putting a bullet between his eyes, the doctor being dragged to the floor as well. With her out of the way, we put down the other thugs easily enough.

Helping the doctor up, she was frightened but eager to tell us what she knew. She'd recently treated a quarian on the run, and that the thugs had shown up, being sent by Fist, to find out what she knew and where the quarian had headed. After quickly consoling her, though she insisted she was fine, Garrus suggested she head to C-Sec to report. Garrus then asked if he could help assist bring down Fist and help the investigation. I figured that was a good idea.

"You like her," Alenko stated as we made our way back to Chora's.

"What?"

"The doctor. You like her. Or she likes you. Yeah, definitely like her."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Garrus retorted defensively.

I laughed as Alenko teased him, the turian getting ever more flustered, as I think Alenko was right. The way she'd gone straight to him, and the way she had looked at him... I'll admit I can't read turians very well yet, but he was so awkward around her, yeah, he definitely liked her but was clearly clueless as to approaching her.

The chatter subsided the closer we got to Chora's. The music we had heard thumping, even from outside, had disappeared. The doors were also shut as well. We took up positions by the door, Ash and I take out grenades. "Flash bangs," I whispered, Ash nodding. Counting down, I opened the door and we threw them in, hearing gunfire erupt before the grenades exploded.

Counting down again, we headed inside and opened fire. Ash, Kaidan and I only had pistols, not expecting to be in a gunfight, Wrex had a shotgun while Garrus was armed with an assault rifle. I won't say we made short work of the thugs inside, but the most they did to use was cause our shields to falter for a moment. No wounds were taking, and we mopped up the bar area rather quickly. Wrex did deal with the krogan bouncer we'd seen earlier, taking delight in putting a shotgun shell into his face.

Moving deeper into the club, we ran into a couple of armed workers, clearly not the thugs we'd just dealt with. I said if they dropped their weapons and pissed off, they'd live. They gratefully took the deal, even thanking us for letting them go. Wrex gave them a kick up the backside as they passed. We found Fist in the back lounge, where his office also was. The bastard had a couple of turrets, I guess some sort of last stand thing. Alenko took care of those by making them blow up, and I put a bullet into Fist's leg, causing him to fall down, losing grip of the pistol. He went to grab it, so I shot the ground, forcing his hand away. Wrex then bounded over and grabbed Fist by the collar, dragging him into the middle of the room.

"Don't kill me. Please!" he begged. Wrex laughed though he didn't fire, knowing I needed answers.

Crouching down next to Fist, I said, "If you tell me what I need to know, I won't kill you."

"Okay, whatever you want."

"Where's the quarian?"

"The quarian? Oh, yes, the quarian! I sent her to meet with the Shadow Broker. She would only talk to him directly about whatever she'd discovered."

"Bullshit. No-one talks to the Shadow Broker directly," Wrex informed, "Clients only talk to one of his agents."

"Well, yeah, but she didn't know that. So I sent her to speak with the 'Shadow Broker'."

"Who will she meet instead?" I asked.

He sighed. "She'll be meeting some assassins instead. I mean, if you move now, you might just make it in time."

"Shit, that's just great," I muttered, rising tall as I got ready to move.

"So, can I go?" he asked.

I looked down at him. "Oh, I said I wouldn't kill you, Fist. And I don't break my word." I paused before adding and gesturing, "Him on the other hand..."

Fist screamed as Wrex aimed his shotgun and fired. It made a right mess of Fist considering Wrex was only a few feet away. Ash and Kaidan looked away while Garrus chuckled. "Harsh, Commander, but fair."

"Well, I didn't lie. I didn't kill him."