Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 16

Story Info
A Mass Effect trilogy novelisation.
8.2k words
4.74
4.9k
8

Part 16 of the 69 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/11/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Book 1, Chapter 16 -- Grounded

*****

Walking out with Ashley Williams the next morning certainly led to a rather silent mess hall, all eyes falling on her as I quickly followed her out. Standing next to her, a quick glance showed she was blushing quite brightly. "Get some breakfast," I suggested quietly, before fixing the rest with a stare. "Yes?" I could see Tali looking between the pair of us, obviously surprised and I knew this was going to cause problems. "Want to talk about it?" I wondered.

"Not at all, Shepard. I knew it would happen eventually. I'll have a chat with Ashley later. I know all about it so it's not a problem."

"Rather open minded of you, Tali," Chakwas stated. I can only assume she would have spoken to the good doctor about being intimate with someone.

"Ashley likes Shepard. I like Shepard. Shepard likes both of us. Ashley being intimate with Shepard was an inevitability. But most importantly, I still love Ashley, and she still loves me."

I couldn't help smile at her words. For someone who I thought was rather... innocent, perhaps even a little naïve, her outlook had certainly developed the more she learned.

Ash had already grabbed a tray and sat next to the quarian. Tali whispered something into her ear, making Ash smile, nodding her head. Glancing around the rest, Shiala smouldered with absolute jealousy, while Liara looked... disappointed. I knew why as she'd made her feelings and intentions known. I guess it was going to be at least a little awkward now. But, quite frankly, they were adults and would just have to deal with it.

Waking up, I talked with Ashley, letting her know the score. Yes, we'd had sex. No, it wouldn't change things. No, it probably wouldn't happen again on the Normandy, at least during the current mission. No, I was not interested in a relationship. Yes, once the mission was over and we had some spare time, we could use each other for 'stress relief'. Yes, I'd like Tali to join us. Yes, I'd be interested in other things as well.

Grabbing a breakfast tray, I sat down opposite Garrus, Wrex alongside the turian. "How you doing, big guy?" I asked of Wrex.

"Seen a lot of death, Shepard. Unfortunately, you do get a little used to it. But Alen... Kaidan, he was my friend. And I don't mean the obvious thing. I mean he was a genuine friend, someone I could sit down and have a quiet word with."

Garrus nodded. "His presence will definitely be missed. Good man. Definitely future CO material."

"Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that," I stated before adding, "We'll hold a memorial service later today, before we arrive back on the Citadel."

"Still think that's bloody stupid, sir," Ashley said.

"Couldn't agree more, Chief, but I cannot ignore a direct order from the Council. I might be a Spectre and have free reign, but they're still my bosses and I do answer to someone, at least."

The mood otherwise was still sombre, everyone falling silent as we finished breakfast before everyone filed out. I kept myself occupied with busy work, simply waiting until we docked back at the Citadel. When the time came, I put on my dress blues and joined everyone else in the garage. Even Benezia was there, which was a slight surprise, meeting her eyes and nodding silent thanks.

Words were difficult but also easy to find, if you know what I mean. It's easy to talk about the life of someone who had impacted the lives of everyone he'd met. I didn't dwell on his past too much, he'd dealt with all that himself. Instead, I discussed his role in the Alliance, the list of commendations from previous postings, the fact he was an important member of the Normandy, and that his presence would be missed by all. I then opened the floor to anyone who wished to speak. Ashley walked forward, carrying a small datapad.

"I may come across a rather hard-arsed soldier sometimes. Grew up in a military family. No time for bullshit, as my dad used to say. Don't really know the right words most of the time either. Dad was the same. The one thing we both loved and bonded over was literature, particularly poetry. I'd like to read a passage for you."

She then placed the datapad down and gazed around the garage. It wasn't a real surprise that she knew the words by heart.

"This is my son, mine own Telemachus,

To whom I leave the sceptre and the isle

Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfil

This labour, by slow prudence to make mild

A rugged people, and thro' soft degrees

Subdue them to the useful and the good.

Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere

Of common duties, decent not to fail

In offices of tenderness, and pay

Meet adoration to my household gods,

When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:

There gloom the dark broad seas. My mariners,

Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me

That ever with a frolic welcome took

The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed

Free hearts, free foreheads; you and I are old;

Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;

Death closes all: but something ere the end,

Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods."

She wiped her cheeks, picked up the datapad, and joined the rest of the crew. We didn't have a marine who could play the bugle, so we had to do with one played through an omni-tool. Once the tune finished, everyone bowed their heads for a moment of silence and remembrance. Clearing my throat, everyone looking up, I simply said, "You have my thanks for being here today. Wherever he is, Lieutenant Kaidan Alenko would be proud to have been loved by so many."

The Normandy remained quieter than normal until we were closet to docking on the Citadel. I think everyone was ready to just get off the ship and relax, let their minds decompress and perhaps deal with the final stages of grief. I told everyone they would have shore leave until I found out what the Council wanted, but that a skeleton staff would be required. Pressly assured me he'd keep the ship functioning. I hadn't felt completely stressed during the entire mission, though that's not to say I didn't deal with a world of shit, but he'd taken on some of the responsibilities as I dealt with the possible idea of galactic annihilation. I definitely owed the man a beer.

"Do you want any of us to come with you?" Liara asked as my ground team gathered around.

"No. I'll find out what the Council want then get in contact with you, let you know if we're taking off straight away or if there's, I don't know, a mountain of paperwork to fill in. I've reported to them after each mission, so they aren't being left in the dark. I think they're just..." I trailed off, not wanting to really let them know what I think.

"Bunch of pyjacks, Shepard. We're wasting time here," Wrex grunted.

"I agree with the wasting time part. For now, just head off, clear your heads, enjoy at least a few hours off."

They all headed off, some towards the Presidium, others towards the Wards. The last person to leave was Benezia, admitting surprise I was letting her roam freely. "If you want to run off, Benezia, I can't stop you."

The smirk made me smile. "Why would I want to do that, Shepard?"

Shrugging, I replied, "I'm sure you're bored out of your brains on this ship. Not sure what C-Sec or the Council would say or do if I let them know I'd released you."

Benezia turned and walked towards me, standing up to kiss my cheek. "I have no plans on doing any such thing, Shepard." Then she definitely surprised me by giving me quite the kiss, and I'll admit, I couldn't help myself by responding. It lasted a good few seconds before she pulled back, the smirk still on her face. "Well, I think it's about time I did that."

I could have asked her a few questions, like 'What game are you playing at?' but I honestly think she just... liked me, for whatever reason. "No complaints from me," I finally said.

She turned and walked out of the airlock, definitely putting an extra sway into those matronly hips of her. I watched until she disappeared from view, running a hand down my face, giving myself a few seconds to gather my thoughts, before heading straight for the Council Tower. It was as peaceful as ever, and as I was a Spectre, I didn't have to wait long to be granted an audience.

Udina was already inside, which did worry me, as that worm was no doubt trying to get involved somehow, scheming away as always. As I headed to the platform in front of the Councillors, he stopped whatever he was saying, and he seemed rather pleased though as smug as always. His first words were a surprise though. "Good work, Shepard. Thanks to you, the Council's finally taking real action against Saren!"

Tevos nodded as I switched attention to her. "The ambassador is correct, Commander. If Saren is foolish enough to attack the Citadel, as you believe, we will be ready for him."

"Patrols are stationed at every mass relay linking Citadel space to the Terminus Systems," Sparatus added.

"Okay, that's all well and good, but what about Ilos? When will you be launching the attack?" I wondered.

Valern shook his head. "Ilos is only accessible through the Mu Relay, deep inside the Terminus Systems, Commander. If we send a fleet in there, the only possible outcome is full-scale war."

Now Udina played his card. "Now is the time for discretion, Commander. Saren's greatest weapon was secrecy. Exposed, he is no longer a threat. This is over."

"Jesus fucking Christ, do you seriously think..." I pinched the bridge of my nose, feeling a headache oncoming from the sheer idiocy on display. "Okay, then let me ask you this. What about the Conduit?"

Valern shrugged. "Saren is a master manipulator. The Conduit is just a distraction from his real plan to attack the Citadel."

"Then what about Sovereign? I spoke to the ship on Virmire. The thing is a Reaper. Saren is indoctrinated, a mere servant for the invasion that is about to happen."

Tevos shook her head. "Only you have seen the Reapers. And then only in visions. We won't invade the Terminus Systems because of a dream."

I leaned forward against the railing. "I've worked my arse off getting to this point, tracking down every lead across the galaxy chasing that son of a bitch. I don't know why the hell you've called me back here, but if you want discretion, I can do it."

Sparatus snorted. "You detonated a nuclear device on Virmire. I wouldn't call that discreet!"

Oh, that started it. "And I sacrificed a member of my crew to ensure Saren's base was destroyed, so go fuck yourself, councillor."

"Calm, Commander. Your style served you well in the Traverse, Commander. We recognise that and you have our thanks, and our sympathies. But Ilos requires a deft touch. We have the situation under control."

I could only grip the railing harder as I felt anger, rage course through my veins. What a bunch of clueless, spineless... How the ever living fuck did these clowns end up running the galaxy? I finally looked up, gritting my teeth, trying to keep my temper in check. "If you don't listen to me, if you don't do anything more than sit and wait around for Saren, then we're all fucked. The Conduit is the key. If Saren finds that, we're all screwed. We need to go to Ilos. Now."

"Ambassador Udina, I get the sense that Commander Shepard isn't willing to let this go," Sparatus warned. I guess telling him to go fuck himself was blowing up in my face.

I felt Udina's eyes on my back. "There are serious political implications here, Shepard. Humanity's made great gains thanks to you. But you're becoming more trouble than you're worth." I stood up and met his eyes. He was a coward, immediately looking away from my glare, as he brushed by me. "It's just politics, Commander. You've done your job, now let me do mine. We've locked out all of the Normandy's primary systems. Until further notice, you're grounded."

I turned him around and grabbed his collar. "Nobody sells me out and stabs me in the back, Udina," I growled.

"You'd better calm yourself, Commander."

"Oh, I'll calm myself alright."

I put my forehead straight into his nose, hearing him cry out as it no doubt broke immediately. I followed that up with a fist in the gut, letting go of his collar as he dropped to the ground. I got down on a knee and lifted his chin. "Remember this moment, Udina. Remember it well. No-one fucks with me." I stood up and looked over the Council. "And you worthless bunch of cunts are just as bad. You seriously underestimate what Saren is capable of. He was a fucking Spectre and you think you can handle him with what, negotiation? He won't negotiate and won't go down without a fight. How you sacks of shit ever managed to unite even part of the galaxy is absolutely fucking amazing. So, if you don't mind me, I'm going to give you this," I flipped them the bird, "And you three just have a fucking peachy day now."

"You'll pay for this, Shepard," Udina groaned.

I got down on a knee again. "Udina, I could shoot you right now and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. But you're not worth the fucking bullet." I stood up and put my boot into his stomach, sighing with relief. "God, that really felt good. Conniving little cunt." With a mock salute in the direction of the Council, I turned and walked out of the chamber. If the Normandy was impounded, I guess I had to go check for myself.

The bastard wasn't lying, of course. Soon as I approached, a dozen marines lined up, weapons aimed. "You know that's my ship, right?" I asked.

They'd sent someone who outranked me, at least in the Alliance. Looked like a Major from the shoulder patches. "It was your ship, sir. At the moment, we have orders not to allow any crew member on board, and I have additional orders that any crew member who attempts to board this vessel shall be shot on sight." He paused before adding, "Apologies, Commander. Most of these boys know what you've done, but orders are orders."

"And you'd shoot even me?"

"Yes, Commander," he replied immediately, "Even the first human Spectre."

I met the eyes of each marine. They were trained to follow orders. Their faces blank. Their weapons still. All of them aimed at me, most at my centre mass, but one or two would go for the headshot. If I even thought about approaching, I'd be a dead man. For now, I was out of the game. "Very well, Major. I'll go away."

"Thank you, Commander. I'd rather not kill one of our own."

Heading away from the docking bay, I sent a crew wide message about the situation. To say I was inundated with replies would be an understatement. My ground team were not happy and we agreed to meet for drinks, as I really needed something to cool off after that. I made it to the bar first, ordering a beer and polishing that off in seconds, ordering a second one as a couple of the others walked in. Soon I had most of the ground team hanging around, asking plenty of questions.

"You hit him?" Ashley asked.

"Headbutted him, then hit him, then kicked him for good measure."

"Good," she stated with a smile. "Slimy bastard."

"Repercussions?" Garrus wondered.

"Honestly don't give a fuck. Alliance want to throw the book at me, they can go spin. I've worked too damn hard to track down Saren to be put on the sidelines now."

"So what do we do?" Tali asked.

"At the moment, I don't really know. The Normandy is under heavy guard with orders of shoot to kill. Even Joker isn't on the Normandy, and that's a rare thing. At the moment, we're out of the game, but we're not finished yet. We just need a plan."

As drinks were consumed, we discussed what we could do. Wrex suggested a full on assault of the docks to take back the ship, but I insisted I wasn't going to kill any Alliance personnel. There wasn't any real way we could sneak onto the ship. Honestly, we were stuck.

Eventually, it was just Ashley, Tali, Wrex and Garrus with me, Liara and Shiala heading off early to find somewhere to stay the night. Ashley and Tali were sitting either side of me, both being very friendly. I'd calmed down by now, at least, so could appreciate the attention.

"Since we've got some time now, Shepard, why don't we do something... well, a little crazy."

"What's on your mind, Ash?"

"Well, I've slept with you, enjoyed Wrex, but I haven't had turian yet. Why don't the five of us go to that same room you rented for Tali and I and have some fun?"

I glanced at Wrex, who immediately started to laugh. Garrus looked awkward. "I can't do that, Ashley. What about Chloe?"

"Fuck it, bring her along too. She's French, isn't she? I've heard they're a rather open-minded people."

"But we've only just..." He sighed. "Look, how about I just go and you four do what you want?"

"No turian cock for me?" Ashley pouted.

"I'm afraid not. I like you, Ashley, but not in that way. And, more importantly, I love Chloe. And I'm not interested in being intimate with anyone else except her."

"Good man, Garrus," I stated, "Perhaps you should go see her. I'll let you know when the situation changes."

"Thanks, Shepard."

Once he left, Ashley leaned into me. "So just us four then? Do you want to see Tali out of her suit?"

I glanced at the quarian beside me. "God yes. If she's anything like you described..."

"Her pussy is divine, Shepard. You must eat her out."

I picked up my glass and finished it in one gulp. "Fuck it, considering I'm no longer in command, we're having some fun. You joining us, Wrex?"

"You know what, think I'll sit this one out, Shepard. I think you should have some fun with your friends."

"Sure?" Ashley asked, "I can take both of you at once."

"Really?" I asked.

Ashley shrugged. "I'm willing to give it a go. That just means you'll get my arse, Shepard. I don't think I could handle Wrex there."

We all looked at Wrex. He got up and wandered to the bar, ordering a shot of something, which he downed, before walking back to us. I could help chuckle. "Alright, that didn't take much convincing. Let's go," I suggested.

I called ahead to the same hotel, wondering if they could do the same thing as last time. They could do so immediately, booking the room next door as well. Tali went into the clean room first, where there was also a small decontamination room. The three of us washed thoroughly in the other room first before joining Tali, surprised she was still in her suit when I walked in, Ashley suggesting she'd wait with Wrex for a little while. "You going to have him fuck you?"

"I thought you might like some alone time with Tali first, Shepard. We'll just wait in here."

I gave her a soft kiss. "Thanks. And you're definitely getting fucked later."

"I plan on being rather sore later tonight, Shepard."

I couldn't help chuckle. Tali was clearly nervous as I walked in, waiting for decontamination cycle to finish before walking in. I'd thrown on just a shirt and trousers after my shower, Tali slowly rising to her feet as she walked towards me. "Just us two?" she asked quietly.

"For now. I think Ashley is about to get seriously pounded by Wrex again." Tali giggled as I added, "And I guess you asked for me alone too?"

She nodded as I walked towards her, eventually wrapping my arms around her, holding her close. "Oh, I like this," she whispered. I could feel her shake every so often.

"Nervous?" I felt her head nod. "Were you the same with Ashley?"

"I was nervous with her but it was... different. You're..." She looked up, watching her eyes shine brightly behind the mask. I could just about see the faint outline of her face. "Shepard, I've crushed on you hard since you walked into that alley. I never thought..." She ran a hand down her mask and looked down. "I never thought you'd wonder or want to see what's behind this?"