Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 38

Story Info
A Mass Effect trilogy novelisation.
8.4k words
4.8
4.2k
8

Part 38 of the 69 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/11/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Book 2, Chapter 18 -- In the Name of the Father

*****

We were both dripping with sweat. I was absolutely exhausted. So was she. Somehow, we still hadn't stopped. "Shepard," she breathed. I could only grunt as I continued to drive my cock into her, feeling her heels digging into my lower back, not wanting me to stop for a second. Her lips searched for mine, her tongue exploring, eager, fingers digging into my back, her nails definitely having left scratches. "Goddess," she cried quietly.

I somehow found the energy to keep going, her pussy tight, warm, wet, eager to take my cock constantly. My hands caressed the back of her crest, having learned how sensitive they could be, her eyes widening with pleasure whenever my fingers lightly touched them. "Don't stop," she breathed before she kissed me, hunger and desire in one gesture, her eyes will with unbridled lust for me.

I moved my arms slightly, now hooking my arms under the back of her knees, almost curling her into a ball, really starting to drive into her. She moaned. She groaned. She squealed. She wanted, needed more. I couldn't keep going forever. I'd already cum at least twice, or maybe it was three times. No idea how many times she'd cum by now. I didn't keep count. We'd been going for what felt like hours. "Oh god," I groaned.

"Close?" I nodded before I drove even harder into her. Her fingers dug into me even more as I leaned down to kiss and bite her neck, almost digging my teeth in like a vampire. She cried out when I did, feeling a hand on the back of my neck to hold me in place.

"Shepard!" she cried quietly.

Burying myself time and again, I finally orgasmed, groaning loudly as I felt my entire body drain itself of the final bits of energy it contained before I could do nothing but collapse on top of her, feeling her legs and arms immediately wrap tightly around my body, her soft kisses on my cheek. "I love you," she whispered.

I looked up to see Shiala gaze at me with nothing but love in her eyes for me, leaning down to softly kiss her lips. "I love you too," I whispered.

We were on our way back to Omega having left Liara and Feron back on Hagalaz. Liara T'Soni was now the Shadow Broker. After the shock of what we'd done simmered down, we sat down and discussed what would happen next. Liara would take over the network and use it to help me investigate anything to do with either the Collectors and the Reapers. She would use the influence of the network for the power of good rather than... well, the Shadow Broker wasn't exactly evil, but could be a pain in the arse.

She had a lot of work to do, and knew I still had to deal with the Collectors. We stayed to rest and recuperate for a night before we had to leave. Liara was sad to see us go, obviously, particularly Shiala, though the two asari came to agreement. Shiala would now split her time between Feros and Illium. Though she would continue assist the colony, Liara wanted Shiala to take care of her company on Illium. Shiala was delighted at being given the opportunity, and accepted immediately.

Approaching Omega, we gathered around the table. "Okay, people will likely realise we haven't returned with Liara, but we say nothing about what happened. If Miranda was telling the truth, we won't have to say a thing. Shiala, to help keep the cover story going, can you find your own way back to Illium, as I'm going to take the Normandy and head in a different direction?"

"Of course, Shepard. That will be for the best, I think. A return to Illium could prove to be a... distraction."

I grabbed her hand with a grin. "A welcome one, but it's time to focus our concentration again on the matter at hand. So, Garrus, Tali, Thane, Grunt, you're all sworn to secrecy. I trust you of course, as does Liara, and Shiala too, of course. But we cannot let this information slip to anyone on the Normandy."

"Loose lips sink ships, Shepard, so I won't say a damned thing to anyone in Cerberus," Tali stated.

"The secret is safe with me, Shepard," Thane stated solemnly.

Arriving back on Omega, the docking bay opposite to where the Normandy was currently docked, I messaged Miranda to let her know we had arrived back and to prepare the ship for departure. The others gave me privacy to say goodbye to Shiala, as the pilots of Liara's ship had agreed to fly her back to Illium, before they returned to Omega, no doubt awaiting further instructions from Liara. She hugged me for a long time, perhaps thinking this would be the final time she'd see me before I went through the Omega Four.

"Last night was wonderful, Shepard," she whispered.

"Yeah, it was pretty spectacular. Methinks someone was a little carried away."

She leaned back to meet my eyes. "It was worth the slight discomfort I woke up with this morning, Shepard. I just... needed you last night, all to myself. Call me selfish..."

"Shiala, trust me, I understand. And I'm not complaining."

"Liara has offered me her apartment, of course, so next time you're on Illium, maybe just you and I..."

"Definitely. I'll let you know when I'm next in the area."

With a final kiss, she turned and headed back to the ship on which we had arrived, glancing back more than once before offering a final wave. Once she disappeared, I headed straight towards my own ship, Kelly waiting for me by the docking bay, running towards me and leaping into my arms, pretty much carrying her the rest of the way as she smothered my face in kisses.

It was nice to be wanted and appreciated. Only begrudgingly did she let me go, taking my hand instead as we passed through the airlock onto the ship. Joker was in position, ready to go, so as soon as I was on board, the airlock was closed, the docking clamps released, and we headed off back into space. Miranda was waiting by my terminal. "Where are we headed to, Shepard?"

"Not sure. I just figured getting away from Omega would be best for now."

Miranda must have had word in the ear of every member of crew as no-one asked myself nor any of those who had been with me where we had been. They were all aware we'd been away on a mission. Even Chakwas didn't know, and we all popped in to visit her upon our return, as I needed a couple of wounds seeing to. Tali had a suit breach, and despite a dose of antibiotics, she was feeling a little queasy, so she spent some time with the doctor as well. After checking my message, and of course there were thousands again, not literally though it sometimes felt it, I wandered around the ship, catching up with the crew.

Jack seemed to be in a better mood nowadays. Still dealing with a lot of personal issues, but aside from talking with Chakwas and talking to specialists over a vidscreen, she had actually found talking with Thane to be helpful. "He's got this calmness to him that simply doesn't fit what he has done for a living," she said. She was playing cards with Zaeed as usual, the veteran mercenary also in a better mood, rather thankful for the fact we'd taken out Vido and I'd done nothing to stand in his way. Far as I was concerned, taking out the leader of the Blue Suns was only ever going to be a good thing.

Kasumi was pleased to see me, sitting down with her and gazing upon the stars as she filled me in with what she'd been up to while we were away, which generally involved sneaking around cloaked and eavesdropping on conversations. Though I wasn't really one to listen to gossip, I did learn one or two eyebrow raising rumours which I would store in the memory for later, if I needed them.

I did wonder what Mordin kept himself occupied with, but asking what he did to keep himself busy, or at least amused, made me regret asking, mostly because I didn't understand half of what he told me. In simple terms, he kept in touch with people from STG and performed a few experiments here and there. Nothing that could possibly cause the ship to blow up, at least. Otherwise, he was content working in his lab though admitted to wanting to go on another mission as soon as possible.

After a day and night of travel, I was about to ask Miranda about linking me to the Illusive Man to hurry him up about finding a Reaper IFF. I could understand that finding one would be difficult, but time was starting to be of the essence here, and I hated the fact we seemed to be just passing time, doing odd jobs, without really actually doing anything worthwhile.

Then Thane approached me about a job.

*****

Thane would admit that he had not gotten to know Shepard as perhaps as well as he could have done. They had talked often, of course, but Thane would admit he did not speak of personal matters too often. The wounds, the sense of loss, was still too great, and speaking of them again would only cause him to fall asleep once more. But after receiving word of his son, and of what his son was planning on doing, he knew that he must speak with Shepard and ask a favour of him. Shepard had already helped others on the ship, and hoped he would find the time to help him in his hour of need. He did not like having to approach him with such an important but personal matter, but when it came to his son, he would admit that he was also a little out of his depth. And that is what he must now confess to Shepard.

He walked into his quarters, already looking concerned. Thane could understand why. He rarely asked for anything. Was generally silent unless he was asked a question. He spent most of his time with Samara in meditation, keeping his mind sharp and focused, ready for the next mission. The only person he had spoken to at length was Jack, and that was only to help mend herself, imparting knowledge that he could only hope would bring her peace and comfort in the difficult years ahead.

"Kelly said you wish to speak to me?" Shepard asked.

He gestured to the chair opposite. "Please, take a seat, Shepard. I did ask Miss Chambers for a word with you. It is a private matter I wish to discuss. I do not like having to approach you about it, but with what lies on the horizon for us all, and the urgency of the matter in hand, I feel I must ask this favour of you."

"Lay it on me, Thane."

He couldn't help the slight grin. Shepard had been approachable from the moment he had stepped on board the Normandy. He had observed the crew rally to his call and his cause, believing a number would turn away from Cerberus when it came for Shepard himself to walk away. He knew Shepard only remained to eliminate the Collectors. He was even starting to believe Miss Lawson would be willing to turn her back after everything she had learned.

"We have spoken about some aspects of my life already, Shepard. You are aware of the work I have done, and how I managed to deal with it, how I closed off that part of me and merely became a vessel that carried out the orders I was given. Battle sleep, I called it."

"I remember. An interesting viewpoint in regards to the mind, body and soul."

"I am aware it is rather different to any teachings on Earth but you listened and understood, and for that I am thankful. While I was asleep for many years, I was eventually woken up by... a woman. Irikah. My wife. For the first time in many years, I felt I was in the land of the living once again. She brought me peace, even joy, at least for a few short years. And she also gave me a gift. My son, Kolyat."

"I wasn't aware you had a child."

"Not many people are, Shepard. You are the first to learn of this on the ship. I have spoken with many people about my life, the jobs I have done, even of Irikah, but I do not wish anyone to know about my son. Until this moment..."

"Okay, why?"

"First, you must understand what led me to this moment. I left my wife and son many years ago, Shepard. I have not seen my son since he was a boy. Before and after Irikah, I have always been good at killing people, Shepard. It is what I was trained to do. After I lost Irikah, I was ill-equipped to raise my son alone. While I left him, he was not alone. He has lived with family members ever since. He is loved and cared for, but as to his father, I have been kept up to date with his progress, but I have not seen him. It is for his own protection. Or, at least, I thought it was."

"What happened to your wife?"

It was the only question he feared. He could close his eyes and still see her face. Her eyes. Nose. Lips. The scent of her perfume. Her smile when their eyes met. She could still hear her voice, the way she breathed his name when they joined, her laugh whenever he managed to tell a joke. He had always been serious, the job had forced him to close himself off from emotion for so long, that when he finally opened himself up, he wondered if he'd ever feel. When he did, finding love in his heart for someone else, it took time for him to simply understand.

"She was taken from me, Shepard. I walked away from the life when I met her. I tried to become... 'ordinary'. I failed and I could not provide for my young family, so I returned to the life. Then people came and... took her from me."

"I assume you didn't just take that?"

"I did not, Shepard. That is why I left my son with family. I hunted down everyone responsible, from those responsible on the day, to those who ordered it. She was not meant to die, of course. They were after me. It was my fault that she was taken. It was then that I realised that my soul was black, that what I had been doing had brought darkness to the galaxy. Once I completed the task, I resolved myself to bringing light to the galaxy, to help restore order, to take down those who would bring pain and suffering to others."

"Which is why we found you in Dantius Towers."

"Correct, Shepard."

"Okay, so what do you wish of me?"

"My son is... disconnected, Shepard. He is walking a path I never intended nor wished for him to follow. He was to never learn of the life I have lived."

"Disconnected? How do you mean?"

"Correct, Shepard. Allow me to put it simply. The philosophy I have mentioned before. The body is not the true self. The soul is not the true self. Body and soul work as one to make a whole person. When the soul is weakened by despair or fear, or if the body is ill or injured, then the individual is disconnected. They are no longer whole."

"Okay, I follow. But how does this apply to your son?"

"He is aware of my previous life. That should not have happened."

"Do you know how he found out?"

"I am unsure. I would like to know. Whatever the case, he has gone to the Citadel as he has taken a job as a hit man. I would like you help to stop him, Shepard."

"Of course. We'll get it sorted as soon as we arrive."

He bowed slightly. "You have my thanks, Shepard."

Shepard disappeared out the door as he rose and walked out of his quarters, turning and joining Samara in the lounge. She was meditating as always, legs curled in front of her, palms up as they rested on her knees, nothing but calm and relaxation. Removing his shoes, he sat next to her and relaxed next to her. They sat together in silence for a long time, at least an hour. The memories returned, as always. Flashes of his life. The lives he had taken. The pain and agony he had caused others. The brief moments of respite he had enjoyed. The joy he had felt when holding his son in his arms for the first time. The heartache and rage that overtook him upon finding Irikah. The hell he had unleashed on the galaxy when hunting down those responsible.

The journey to the Citadel ended up taking two days. Thane spent of the time preparing mind and body for the ordeal to come. Not only did he have to track down his son and stop him following the path, it would be the first time he'd seen him in years. The last time he had seen his son in the flesh, he had only been a small child. His son was now a man, eighteen years old, and he knew there would be anger and bitterness in his direction. His son would feel abandoned. A dead mother and an absent father. Little wonder he'd followed the same path.

Once the ship had docked, Shepard had the crew remain on the Normandy, perhaps anticipating a shorter stay on the Citadel than expected. He was also aware that Shepard had been warned off the Citadel. Not barred from visiting completely but he knew his presence, and that of his ship, would attract attention, raise eyebrows, and lead to some rather uncomfortable questions.

Waiting near the airlock, a few crew members did leave. He heard Shepard joke with Garrus about going to visit his girlfriend, Chloe, assuring the turian that he would have enough time to enjoy some 'sexy times' before they left. Mess Sergeant Gardner would be departing to purchase more food for the ship. One or two other crew members were departing to visit family and friends. Anyone departing, who usually wore the Cerberus uniform, was wearing clothing that did not contain the emblem, simply for their own safety.

"Ready, Thane?"

He took a deep breath. Calmed any nerves about what was to come. "Yes, Shepard. We should proceed immediately."

Heading out onto the Citadel with Shepard, he noticed how relaxed the man was when out of uniform. Their time together off the ship was limited. He did not leave the ship whenever on Omega, and kept to himself when on Illium, aware of Shepard and his private life, and he simply did not wish to intrude. Walking alongside him now, despite the fact he did not wear a uniform, he still strode along with purpose, and the crowds simply seemed to part as they walked together, side by side. There was no doubt Shepard had a presence, though it was surprised so many seemed to recognise him. Or perhaps it was simply how he actually walked. Even without wearing the blues, he was still a soldier at heart.

Shepard took them straight to C-Sec, suggesting that drelll were so uncommon, it was likely they would have a record of the arrival of any drell. It made sense, and he was soon introduced to a Captain Bailey. He realised quite quickly that Shepard had a rapport with this C-Sec officer, and despite what looked like negotiation, Shepard called in a favour owed, and Bailey was able to provide the assistance they needed when Thane explained the situation to him.

"I'm looking for my son. I believe he has been hired by a local criminal syndicate to carry out a job."

Bailey wasn't stupid. Drell were usually only hired for specific job. "A job? I'll be honest, don't particularly want to ask or know. One can assume what sort of job when it comes to drell. No offence."

"None taken."

"We don't get many drell here on the Citadel. Let me check our records, see what we can dig out."

Bailey was silent for a few moments and he typed away at his keyboard, making a grunting sound every so often before finally stopped. "Yep, figured. One of my men reported seeing a drell recently. Hmmm, interesting..."

"Yes?"

"He was talking to Mouse. That certainly clarifies what I thought the job may be." Thane knew who Mouse was. Kids who lived on the streets used code names. He had used kids as his look outs whenever he worked jobs, and the Citadel was no different than anywhere else in the galaxy. Street children were more often than not ignored and overlooked. They could get into place that he simply couldn't, overhear things that shouldn't be heard otherwise. "You'd like him, Shepard," Bailey added.

"Why the hell would I like him?"

"Mouse runs all sorts of schemes. One of them was selling illegal VI personalities. Particularly one of you."

"Gods, that all I need, VI's of me around the galaxy. I think one of me is enough at times."

"Do you know where I can locate this Mouse?" Thane asked.

"You'll find him around here somewhere. He's usually seen loitering outside the Dark Star lounge. If Mouse can't put you in touch with your son, he'll know where you can find him or at least who to contact. But if you run into any roadblocks, head back this way and I'll see what I can do to help further."