Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sidonis simply nodded, turned and hurried away. The noise of the lounge quickly picked up as Shepard approached. "Honestly thought you'd shoot him," he admitted.

"I wanted to, but knowing what he's going through, I'll admit, it's a better punishment than a simple bullet could possibly bring." He looked at Shepard. "Make the wrong choice?"

"Not my decision to make, Garrus. That was all on you. If you're comfortable with it, that's what matters."

He gave it some thought, immediate reflection, and found himself nodding. "Yeah, I'm actually okay with it, Shepard. Surprisingly, I guess."

"Good. Want a beer?"

"Definitely. Need to get rid some of this tension."

"Ah, sounds like you need something else then."

"Later. First, a drink with a friend, then I'll go see Chloe."

The pair found a cosy little pub nearby to enjoy a couple of beers together. For the first time since Omega, he felt relaxed, an ease of the tension that had been slowly building up in his body each passing day. Shepard certainly seemed to notice, and the pair were soon chatting as easily as they had when he had first boarded the Normandy. When his omni-tool pinged, Shepard opened it, read a message, smiled, and suggested he had other plans. "Kelly?"

"Yeah."

"Getting serious?"

"Well, it is, but... well, we've talked. It's open, at least from my end. I know she wants to fool around, but with women. I've told her it's fine, I can't expect her to understand and for me to deny her."

"She doesn't want another guy?"

"Far as she's told me, no. And I believe her."

"I don't know how you do it, Shepard. I find satisfying one woman exhausting enough."

"I'm a greedy bastard, Garrus. And I know, one day, it'll probably blow up in my face. But I'll enjoy the ride as long as I can." Shepard drained his pint glass, patted his shoulder, and wished him goodnight.

After finishing his drink, Garrus wandered the streets until such time that he knew Chloe would be finishing for the evening. Wandering into her clinic, it was now empty of people, Chloe sitting behind her desk, looking busy, perhaps typing up a report. She looked up and smiled when noticing him, rising to her feet straight away, standing on tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

"Want dinner?" he asked.

"Oh, is this a treat, Garrus?"

"Want to take my girl out for dinner."

That made a smile light up her face, and he was soon escorting her to a nearby restaurant that served food they could both eat. She mentioned straight away he seemed more relaxed, and so he told her the story of Sidonis, not just what happened earlier, but everything on Omega. She listened, her attention on his every word, and when he was finished, she reached across and grabbed his hand. "Do you believe you made the right choice?"

"I do."

"Then you can move on now, Garrus. Live your life in their memory."

"That was what I intended to do. I won't forget them."

As they both relaxed, the conversation turned to other topics, one being the future. Garrus would admit he simply hadn't given it much thought. He'd told Chloe it was a possible suicide mission, that he might not be back. He didn't want to die, but he knew the odds were stacked against them. But if he did survive, then he'd return to the Citadel. Not for a job, or a career. For once, he'd make a choice with his heart.

Right response, as the check was requested, and once paid, Chloe practically dragged him back to her apartment. Once inside, she showed an eagerness he'd only ever received rarely from any lover. Getting her naked was far easier, getting him out of armour always took time. But once they were both naked, she practically leapt on him, eager to please.

He would admit the sex that night was much better than the previous. His mind now clear, he could focus all his attention on her, and she loved every minute of it. He still wondered what she saw in him, but when her hands rested on his shoulders, feeling her soft legs wrapped around him, begging in her soft tone of voice for him to just fuck her, he couldn't help but think he was doing something right, at least.

She went to sleep before him, unable to stop the chuckle that he'd managed to wear her out. She had been rather insatiable that evening, but he gave it some thought and figured it was the first time they'd properly connected since his return. Now all he could do was return as often as he could before the Omega Four, and once the mission was complete and the Collectors stopped, he'd return to her.

He only woke the next morning when his omni-tool beeped, a message from Shepard asking him to return by ten am, ship time. That gave him two hours. After enjoying a shower with Chloe, they dressed as they distracted each other, before enjoying breakfast together. He escorted her to her clinic, sharing a very long cuddle at the front door, before wishing each other goodbye. He made sure she was safe and secure inside before leaving her.

Strolling onto the Normandy later, Joker took one look at him and cracked up in laughter, Shepard doing the same thing when he walked past the galaxy map. Stopping by his friend, he offered his hand. Shepard accepting it immediately. "Thanks, Shepard."

"For what?"

"Just for helping a friend. It's appreciated."

"No problem, Garrus. Happy to help."

"When you've got time, I've got a few ideas about the cannons I'd like to go over with you, particularly when it comes to a potential battle against the Collector ship."

"Definitely. I've had Tali onto me about shielding as well, and the engineers are going on about more power output from the core. Looks like things are finally coming together."

"I'll send you some early specs. Whenever you've got time, I'll be ready to explain."

"What are you going to do now?"

"I think I'll do some calibrations."

Shepard chuckled to himself, Garrus wondering why, as he boarded the elevator and headed to what he considered home, at least for the time being.