Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 49

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What is the situation on Omega?"

"I would not use the term peaceful to describe the place. But we can start the operation immediately."

"The situation beyond the relay?"

"Teams have begun their search for Reaper technology. They are confident they can retrieve both Reaper and Collector technology. The Collector base was destroyed but not obliterated. Salvage teams are currently on route to the wreckage."

"Very well. You have a go for the operation, General. Do not disappoint me."

Of course he was kept abreast of developments on Omega. He knew Aria T'Loak was a confident woman. But far too confident for her own good. Her trust in Cerberus was entirely misplaced. An asari trusting a pro-human organisation? She deserved what was coming to her. There was a standing order that she was to be captured, but if that wasn't possible, then she was to be eliminated. He did not expect her to surrender so death was the expected outcome.

Even quicker than he expected, forty-eight hours later, the General reported in.

"I take it you have good news, General Petrovsky?"

"Cerberus forces now occupy all of Omega. The general population has been contained for the moment as we mop-up the last resistance."

"Any news on Aria T'Loak?"

"No body as yet. But we believe she is dead. The fleet has stayed alert for any retreating forces from Omega. No shuttle or ship has been reported as departing since the capture was complete."

"Find her body, General. I want to know that she is dead."

"Of course, sir."

"Losses, General? Anything significant that I should know about?"

"No, sir. The entire fleet performed perimeter duties preventing any escape or retreat. Military losses were as expected. The count of mercenary losses to our own number at least ten to one."

"And what of the mercenary gangs that inhabit Omega?"

"Those who do not fall in line will be eliminated, sir."

"Don't be too hasty. We may need them on our side for the future. The two things mercenaries respect are money and power. While I am not willing to concede the latter, they may help themselves to the former, if they prove themselves capable of following orders."

"I will begin negotiations as soon as our main operation is complete. Will there be anything else, sir?"

"Not right now, General. You have done well. Let the men know that their boss is pleased with their efforts and that they will be rewarded in the future."

The General came to attention and saluted. "I will let them know, sir. Thank you."

The hologram flickered out. It was another successful operation. The pieces on the board were starting to fall into place. He picked up the cigarette sitting in the ashtray, taking another drag, before he took a sip of bourbon, sitting back and enjoying the taste.

Another victory for Cerberus. Another victory for humanity.

He was confident... No, not just confident. He knew it would not be the last.

*****

Kenneth Donnelly & Gabriella Daniels

"Bite me."

"Excuse me?"

"I said bite me."

"You always talk to your superiors in such a manner?"

"Since when are you my superior?" He looked down for a moment before returning the glare. "I don't see a uniform on me. So who or what exactly are you superior to?"

"You're only making this harder for yourself."

"Than what exactly?"

"We could charge you with treason. If found guilty, you could be executed."

"Fair enough." He paused for a moment. Shrugged his shoulders. "Okay, don't bite me. I'll put it in words my Commander would certainly use and understand. Why don't you just fuck off instead..."

The Major opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, clearly fuming at his attitude. He didn't really care. This whole thing was a complete charade. The entire interview and interrogation process was a joke. Treason? Bollocks! Granted, he knew they could throw the book at him if they truly wished, but considering it had been at least three months, he knew they knew they actually had little on him. They knew he had left the Alliance to help the Commander. Sure, he'd joined Cerberus to do that, but if they couldn't understand the reasoning, then more fool them. Far as he was concerned, he'd done the right thing and nobody was going to change his mind. But, in particular, not some jumped-up twat parading around in a nice blue suit.

Eventually the Major grabbed his datapads, stood up and knocked on the door. It opened a second later. "Take Donnelly back to his cell."

The soldier saluted before the Major took one last look at him, Donnelly giving him a sarcastic wave, before he turned tail and stormed off. Donnelly got to his feet, had a good stretch and couldn't help the self-satisfied smile on his face as he walked out of the room, flanked by a pair of armed soldiers.

"Hear any of that?" Donnelly asked.

"And you want to get back into the Alliance, Donnelly? Not with that attitude you won't."

"He's an Englishman," Donnelly retorted, "Or at least I assume he is from the accent. Therefore, he's automatically assumed to be an arsehole. And, after spending much time speaking with him, he is most definitely, one hundred percent, categorically, an arsehole."

"But he is still your superior, despite your lack of uniform."

He sighed. "I know. I know. But this whole situation is..." He trailed off with a shrug. The two men had heard it all before. He'd got to know them well in the past few weeks.

"You'd better start co-operating soon, Donnelly, otherwise they will charge you with something. The only reason they haven't is because of him."

"Shepard?"

"Well, him and the two Admirals, Anderson and Hackett. You've got some powerful friends, Donnelly. But even they may wash your hands of you eventually."

"Shit." Then he paused a moment. "You know, you're well informed for a grunt."

"Not exactly a grunt. Don't let the uniform fool you. And let's just say word travels. Chinese whispers. And the simple fact that people talk. And Shepard is all the talk in the barracks."

"Any word on the Commander?"

"He's back on Earth. Stripped of rank and effectively under house arrest. No word on any charges, though. Some say he's not going to be charged with anything. The big rumour is that his arrest was all a ruse and he's actually being tasked with a major mission."

"Seriously?"

The soldier shrugged. "That's the word. But we're here. And Earth is a long way away."

"Dammit. And I'm stuck in here."

"Exactly. You want back in the action? Then it may be wise to play the game. No matter how galling it is."

"I will if Admiral Hackett was the one to do it."

"You can request it but I'm not sure how far that would go."

"Worth a try."

"Put it in writing and see what happens."

"Any word on Gaby?"

"She's fine, Donnelly. Hell of a lot more co-operative than you."

"She'd keep me in line if she was here."

*****

"Ma'am, I understand why you are asking, but we've discussed this time and again. Why do you keep asking the same questions?"

"We are simply trying to establish a clear picture of the entire mission, Miss Daniels, from the day you joined Cerberus to the day you arrived back on Arcturus."

She groaned, leaning for with her elbows on the table, head in her hands. "Fine. Ask away. Again. Not like I've got anything better to do anyway."

"What happened in Bahak?"

She looked up, leaned back in her chair, confused by the question. "Why are you asking me that question? How could I possibly know? Ask Shepard. If not that, watch the video he recorded."

"Do you believe Commander Shepard did the right thing?"

"Yes," she replied without hesitation.

"Despite over three hundred thousand batarians paying for it with their lives?"

"Better three hundred thousand batarians than the entire galaxy being annihilated."

"All because of this 'Reaper' threat?"

"You don't believe it?"

"I find the evidence is flimsy at best."

She was gobsmacked. "You're kidding?"

"Clearly the Commander is unstable, if not delusional, to believe such a threat actually exists. There is no documentary evidence the Reapers exist. Or, at the least, planning an invasion. They are mentioned briefly by the Protheans. The only person in the galaxy continually claiming their existence otherwise is the Commander."

She crossed her arms. "We have nothing more to discuss. I won't hear another word of mockery stated about the Commander."

"Why do you defend him so passionately?"

She remained silent.

"What did he do to earn such loyalty from his crew?"

She remained silent, adding a defiant glare to the crossed arms across her chest.

"What is your relationship with Engineer Kenneth Donnelly?"

She prevented her jaw from gaping wide. Instead she returned the silent and still defiant, but now bordering on hateful glare.

The interviewer picked up a datapad. "This certainly makes for interesting reading. You have been tied at the hip since you graduated the same class at tech academy. You then served together on the Perugia. After the Commander disappeared, you supported the gross insubordination of Engineer Donnelly to an extent where you both leave the Alliance and start working for a terrorist organisation, alongside both Engineer Donnelly and Commander Shepard. Numerous violent acts are perpetrated across the galaxy, by various members of staff on board that ship before there is the final act of destruction in Bahak. Finally, you hand yourselves back in and say little."

She remained silent.

"Nothing to say? No reason? No excuse? No justification?"

Placing her hands on the table, she leaned forward and said only four words.

"We did the right thing."

*****

He couldn't help but sigh as he trudged along. Another day. Another interview. Or interrogation. Or perhaps a slanging match. Guess it would depend on the first question. That usually set the tone. At least he hadn't spoken to the same Major as a week before. Probably best for the both of them, figuring he may have copped a fist across the jaw if he'd kept it up. He had been slightly more co-operative with the next interrogator, though, by at least answering some questions, though he wouldn't exactly say he was helpful. He still thought the Alliance had betrayed Shepard after he'd been thought lost. That was a wound that would take a long time to heal.

The Sergeant opened the door to the usual interview room, brushing past with a nod before he came to a dead stop. He barely heard the door close behind him before he took two strides forward and hugged her.

"You're okay?" he asked... sometime later.

"I'm fine, Ken. You?"

"Oh, you know. The usual." He leaned back and looked her over. "You're looking healthy."

"Three square meals. Plenty of sleep. Can't complain really. Well, the boredom is a killer and I miss the Normandy."

"Me too. So why are we both in here?"

Gaby shrugged. "No idea. You?"

Ken could only shrug himself. "None whatsoever."

They took the two available chairs on one side of the table, figuring they were bound to be joined by someone. "Been rough?" she asked.

"I've let them know what I really think."

She laughed. "I've heard. Really, Ken, telling a Major that?"

"I said that is what Shepard would have told him to do."

She leaned back in her chair. "I just wish they'd make up their minds. It's getting ridiculous. What more could either of us say?"

Before he could answer, the door opened and in strode an Admiral. But it was an Admiral they knew well. Both leapt to their feet and came to attention. It was an automatic reaction though unnecessary considering the circumstances. The Admiral didn't return the salute but did reply with a respectful nod of the head.

"Take a seat," he requested. The pair carried out the request, looking at each other before looking back at the Admiral. "I'm sure you have some questions why I'm here. I'll put it quite simply. The Normandy is being refitted and I need engineers. You're the best. How would you like your old jobs back?"

They shared another look. Both of their jaws dropped before they stared back to the Admiral. "You're serious, sir?" Ken finally asked.

"Absolutely. Now, while you haven't exactly made all this easy for me to do, looking at you, Donnelly, the Alliance don't see the point in letting two of their best engineers wasting away their talents."

"Who would we be working for?" Gaby asked.

"Chief Engineer Adams. You know of him?"

"The name is familiar," Ken replied.

They shared another glance, nodding to each other immediately. "What do we need to do, sir?" Gaby asked.

"Write a confession. Unfortunately, it will go in your permanent record, but it will be signed off by myself and Admiral Hackett with proviso's that you were helping Commander Shepard and that your decision to join Cerberus, and subsequent efforts during the mission against the Collectors, contributed to the protection of humanity. In addition, while you are helping with the retrofits of Normandy, you will be kept under a form of house arrest. Confined to barracks, if you will. But you will be re-instated into the Alliance, once all is said and done, at your previous ranks."

"We understand, sir. Thank you, sir."

"Don't thank me yet. I still need to get you out of here, officially that is. But Admiral Hackett is doing what he can, as am I."

"When do you think we'll be out of here?"

"Once we're done here, you'll be escorted to an office where you can write your confession. Keep it brief. It's not a case of guilt or innocence. Simply explain what you did and valid reasons why. Everyone knows your story. After that, give it another 48 to 72 hours. You should know by then."

"And where is the Normandy, sir?"

"Earth. You're both going home."