Max Burnage Ep. 01: Cheaters Beware

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good morning, Dr. A," he said. As he watched, she poured them each a fresh cup of tea and handed him one after dropping a bit of honey into the cup. "Thank you," he said, accepting the cup. "I really like this tea." She smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that," she said. "So, how is your memory doing? I understand you made some progress. Is that right?"

"Yes," he said. "I remembered everything about my attack last night. How did you know? I never said anything to anyone." She smiled, opened her briefcase and pulled out a tablet.

"It's my job to know, Max," she said. "Truth is, I know everything about you and your marriage." He looked at her, shocked. How could she know all that? "That's part of the reason I got involved in your case. I take it you'll be seeking a divorce?"

"Yes," he said quietly. "Once I'm out of here, I'll be visiting my attorney to get the ball rolling."

"Do you know where your wife is now? What she's doing?" Adrestia asked. Max shook his head.

"I was told she's in New York with an attorney from her firm, but I don't understand why. She's a legal secretary and that type of work isn't part of her job description," he said.

"You're right, she's in New York, and she's there with Jake Sylvester," she said. "Let's just say, her 'work' has very little to do with her clerical skills, if you know what I mean. Would you like to see what she's doing right now?"

"Right now?" Max asked. "You can do that?" She smiled as she turned on her tablet.

"Yes," she said. "Watch this." She put the tablet on the cart so they could both see the screen. The video appeared to come from the back patio of a large, expensive home. A man dressed in swimming trunks and a woman wearing a tiny micro-bikini were sitting at a table. Max recognized the woman -- it was his wife, Shannon. He didn't recognize the diminutive swimsuit, which consisted of two tiny strips of cloth that barely covered her nipples and crotch.

"That's Jake Sylvester," Max said. "I remember him from that night."

As they watched, another man wearing a swimsuit came to the table. He was older than Jake and much bigger. He dried himself off with a towel and motioned to someone behind him. A cart was wheeled to the table as he sat down, and a servant placed glasses of liquid in front of each of them.

"Nice morning for a swim, don't you agree?" he asked, taking a sip of his drink.

"That's Mario Alvarez," Adrestia told Max as they watched. "He's a very well-connected man in New York with ties to one of the largest criminal organizations in the country." They turned their attention back to the video.

"Yes, it is, Mario," Jake said, answering Mario as he took a sip of his drink. "And this drink is perfect. Don't you think so, dear?"

"Yes, it is," Shannon said. Mario nodded his head in her direction.

"Thank you," he said. "You're too kind." He turned his attention back to Jake. "Enough with the pleasantries. I need to know. Can your guy handle the job or not?" Jake looked at Shannon, a bit uncomfortable.

"Technically, he has the skills," Jake said. "But he's still in the hospital." Mario shook his head as he put his drink back on the table.

"Jake, Jake, Jake," he said, exasperated. "You weren't supposed to put him in the hospital. At most you were supposed to just scare him. I gave you everything you needed to make him compliant."

"Well, it didn't work," Jake said. "All it did was knock him out. I pressed him when he came to, but he refused."

"So you and your boys decided to rearrange his face after you fucked his wife in front of him, is that it?" Mario asked. Jake looked down for a moment. Mario shook his head. "What the fuck did you expect him to do? Goddammit, you may be a hotshot litigator in the courtroom, but you're about as dumb as a box of fucking rocks sometimes, you know that? And why didn't you tell me about this before now?"

"I tried, Mario, but I was told you were on an extended vacation with your wife and couldn't be reached," Jake said.

"Well, I was out of pocket for a while," Mario said. "Took the wife for a round-the-world cruise for our 25th anniversary. Okay, I'll let that go for now, but you need to get him on this project ASAP."

"We've got six months, Mario. That's plenty of time to get it done," Jake said.

"You don't get it," Mario said. "It'll take him at least five months to unfuck everything the last accountant left behind. And before you ask, no one will touch these books. We've already asked around. Everyone worth a shit won't even give us the time of day. And now, thanks to you, one month is already shot to hell. How much longer are you two going to be in town?"

"Another week, maybe 10 days, then we're going back," Jake said.

"That puts us into the beginning of next month," Mario said. "Alright, I'm giving you this one last shot. Get it done. And remember to use the carrot BEFORE the stick, you got it? Do what you gotta do. Suck his dick if you have to. You hear me?"

"I got it, Mario, you can count on me," Jake said, his face turning green at what Mario suggested.

"We'll see," Mario said. "Don't let me down again, Jake. Capisce?" Jake nodded his head.

"I understand," Jake said. "Thank you for the drink, Mario."

"Yeah, you're welcome," Mario said, standing up, signaling the end of the meeting. The video ended and Max looked at Adrestia, shocked.

"How did you do that?" he asked. "Are you some kind of private investigator or something?"

"It's a trade secret," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "Sorry."

"I'd better get in touch with Detective Hanson about this," he said. She put her hand on his arm.

"Not just yet," she said. "I've got another idea. How would you like to get justice on all of them?"

"Of course," he said, causing her to smile. For the next hour, they discussed her plan. When they finished, he looked at her carefully. "Who are you, really? You're not like any counselor I've ever heard of. Are you really a doctor?"

"Yes, I am," she said. "I have doctorates in a number of disciplines."

"Then tell me, who, or what, are you?" he asked. She considered him for a moment before speaking.

"Are you sure you really want to know?" she asked. He nodded his head.

"Yes," he said. "I really want to know." She nodded her head as she looked at him.

"Alright, I guess you deserve to know the truth," she said. "Lay back on your pillow and relax." He did as she said. "Now, close your eyes and focus on me for a moment." He closed his eyes, wondering what she had in mind. He felt her take his head in her hands and marveled at how soft and warm they felt. Then he felt the softest set of lips on his as she kissed him. For a moment, he felt her tongue work its way into his mouth and he began to respond. Then it happened.

A sudden jolt of static went through his body and his mind was filled with strange images -- dark, menacing, winged creatures, mountains covered with clouds, lightning flashing in the distance. A much larger version of Adrestia wearing a long robe, a double-edged sword in one hand and a balance in the other. Beneath her sandal-clad feet were snakes and as he looked, he could see people in various stages of distress.

One woman was immersed in a large vat of oil, a fire below it making the gooey substance boil, and another person was tied to a plank while being urinated on by large, horned creatures. He heard a scream in the distance and saw a woman falling into the open mouth of a giant shark.

A part of him knew that he should be frightened by all this, but he wasn't. Instead, he was attracted to Adrestia -- an attraction that far outweighed any he had ever felt for Shannon or any other woman. He felt... love. And a sexual attraction he had never felt for anyone before. He could feel the stirring in his groin as his cock hardened and grew.

Instinctively, he wrapped his arms around the blonde woman and kissed her back, harder than he had ever kissed a woman before. He felt that he simply had to have this woman, this goddess. The images kept flashing in his mind as his desire for her grew even stronger. He held her tighter and realized she was now naked. He found that he was also naked, and his cock stood straight up, harder and bigger than he ever remembered it before.

He felt her hand on his cock and looked up to see her straddle him, her eyes glowing like fire. Looking down, he saw her start to guide him into her silky smooth pussy and felt desire as he had never felt before. But in his mind, he knew he couldn't go through with it. He stopped her advance, shaking his head.

"I can't do this," he said. "It isn't right. I'm still a married man." She looked at him for a moment and he didn't know how she would react.

"But your wife is cheating on you," she said quietly. "Surely you deserve this."

"I know she is," he said. "As desirable as you are, though, two wrongs don't make a right. Maybe if I wasn't married..." Her face broke into a wide smile and she kissed him deeper, releasing his manhood.

"Good answer," she whispered into his ear as she stroked his face.

Images flashed in his mind as she stroked and kissed his face -- the terrified faces of those who dared cross her -- people from all walks of life and all stations. He also saw the faces of the men she helped -- from a factory maintenance man to a member of the Roman Senate. They all flashed in his mind and he knew who and what she really was.

He found himself falling madly in love with her -- more than Shannon, more than anyone else. And he knew he would probably never feel love like this again. He knew that he would do anything she required of him, and he would do it happily, knowing that she would never double-cross him.

"I take it you understand now," she said, now dressed and sitting on her chair. He nodded his head, still reeling from what just happened.

"I'm still processing it, but yeah, I think I understand," he said. "But why..."

"I had to test you," she said. "And you passed. With flying colors. Most mortal men wouldn't have been able to resist but you did. You did the right thing."

"What about Eli? Did you test him this way?" he asked. "I heard you two talking the other day." She laughed when he said that.

"No," she said. "His heart has always belonged to his lovely wife. Besides, he was already dead when I recruited him."

"So, he works for you, then?" Max asked.

"Not exactly," she said. "He's more of an ally than an underling. He answers to another power, much higher than I."

"Oh," Max said, still not fully understanding.

"But speaking of allies," she said. "I think you would make a good ally here, in this plane of existence, if you're open to it." Max thought about it before answering. A move like this would require a lot of changes, and he would basically have to completely walk away from his life as an accountant. But at the same time, he couldn't refuse her request.

"Strangely enough, I am open to it," he said. "But that would require a lot of changes in my life."

"That's why I suggested the name change and the three month stay in Idaho," she said. "You'll be safe, and you'll get the training and conditioning you need for the work you'll be doing. Eli has agreed to help mentor you, and I'll provide everything you need, including funds. We don't have a lot of time to make this happen, you know."

"Yeah, I know," he said. "I'll need to get my attorney involved."

"Eli knows someone who can help with that and we both know a judge in this state who owe us a favor or two," she said. "Let us take care of that for you. You concentrate on getting better. I'll make the arrangements for the camp."

"I'll need to put in my notice at work," he said. She nodded her head.

"I agree," she said. "Your boss will be here later this afternoon, so you can tell him then. Just don't go into detail. The idea is for Maxwell Burns to disappear without a trace. That will put another monkey wrench in Shannon and Jake's plans."

"I just thought about something else," he said.

"What's that?" she asked.

"What about fingerprints? DNA? Those things don't change, you know," he said. She smiled and took his hands in hers. Her eyes glowed slightly and he felt a warmth in his hands. She released them and gave a slight smile.

"They just did," she said. "I'll get with Eli and he'll arrange a meeting with an attorney. You can expect to see her here tomorrow at the latest."

"So, who will I become?" he asked. She looked thoughtful for a moment before answering.

"I like Maximilian," she said. "That's it. Maximilian Burnage," she added, pronouncing the last name, "bernahhhj."

"Sounds good to me," he said. "Max Burnage."

"My personal avenging angel," she added with a smile. "Are you up for this?" He thought for a moment before answering. He rather liked the idea.

"You know what? I am," he said. She chuckled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Cheaters beware," she said, kissing him on the cheek. "Remember, not a word of this to anyone. Now, I have a lot to get set up, so I'd better get going. I've left you some tea bags, and I want you to get rested up. Trust me, you'll need all your strength when you get to Idaho." He nodded his head and watched as she walked to the door.

"Adrestia," he called before she opened the door. She turned to look at him. She smiled and spoke before he could.

"I love you too, Max," she said. "And I always will. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" She smiled and waved, then went out the door.

After she left, he laid back and thought about what just happened. It was the most exciting non-sexual experience he ever had with a woman, but it was much more than just an exchange of passion -- it was like an exchange of information. He could see every face on the walls of her mysterious gallery. He knew every name and knew their stories.

He also knew everything about her -- all the different names she had been known by: Tyr and Nemesis being just two. He also knew that she was more than just Justice -- she was Retribution. And there was no escape for those who crossed her.

He had seen how close she had recently come to wiping out millions of people with a single thought. He also understood that she truly loved all those she had helped over the ages, but that love was not quite what she shared with him. Her love for them was an unconditional love that fell short of being romantic, while her love for him went far beyond anything she had ever shown anyone else.

That included Elijah Jones, the former Union soldier who once served in the 8th Indiana Cavalry Regiment during the Civil War. Struck down by a rebel bullet during Sherman's March to the Sea, he was recruited by Adrestia and now meted out his own brand of Western-style justice with the aid of his grandson, Amos.

But why me, he wondered. What's so special about me? He knew she had it within her to single-handedly wipe out Shannon and her cronies. So why involve me at all, he asked himself. He was brought back to reality by a tapping on the door. He looked up to see Jim Fredericks, his boss, sticking his head in the room.

"Come in," he said. Jim smiled and came inside. He stopped by the bed and looked at Max, confused. "What's wrong?" Max asked.

"You look... different," Jim said. "How are you feeling?"

"A bit sore, but much better, thanks," Max said. "They had to do some reconstructive surgery on my face and, well, that's why I look different."

"I'm glad to see you're doing better," Jim said. "I don't want you to worry about anything at the office. I just want you to concentrate on getting well. Any leads on who did this to you?"

"Yeah, I've got some idea of who did this," Max said. "And I need to talk to you about something while you're here. It's pretty important."

"What's that?" Jim asked.

"It seems I'm not out of danger just yet," Max said. "The people who came after me will be back. I hate to say it, but one of them was Shannon."

"Your wife?" Jim asked, incredulous. "Why would she do that?"

"Money," Max said. "That's what this is all about." Max gave him the Reader's Digest version of what happened and what he knew so far, without going into much detail. Jim looked shocked when Max finished.

"What do you need from me? A leave of absence, maybe?" Jim asked.

"Yeah, something like that," Max said. "I'll be getting a new identity to go along with this new face. The bottom line is that Max Burns needs to disappear."

"For how long?" Jim asked.

"I'm afraid it'll probably be permanent," Max said. "I'm sorry, Jim. I didn't want to just disappear without saying anything to you."

"I appreciate that, Max," he said. "Of course, I understand, given the circumstances. Look, I'll put you on a paid leave of absence for a period of four months. You have enough with your accrued comp, sick time and vacation to cover that. Let me know at the end of that time if it'll be permanent. In the meantime, we can bring in an accountant or two to help take up the slack. I don't want you to worry about anything."

"Thanks, Jim," Max said. "You've been a good friend and I appreciate it."

"It's my pleasure," Jim said. "You take care of things and hopefully we'll see you back at the office." They said their goodbyes and Jim left.

The next morning, Max was taken for his daily exams and X-rays. The doctor was practically giddy when he came into Max's room.

"Max, if I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it," the doctor said.

"What's that, doc?" Max asked.

"All of your fractures seemed to be completely healed and your testicles are fully functional. I think we can start the process to have you released tomorrow morning," the doctor said.

"That is good news, doc," Max said. The doctor made some notes on Max's chart and gave the nurse a few orders, then left the room. After his breakfast, Max used his last bag of tea and sat watching television when Adrestia came in the room. A tall, lanky man wearing a beat-up Stetson and a floor-length duster joined her, along with a slim, well-built blonde.

"Good morning, Max," Adrestia said. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"Better than I have in a long time," Max said. "Doc tells me I may be released tomorrow morning."

"That is good news," she said. "By the way, this is Eli Jones," she said, indicating the tall man. He extended a hand and Max shook it. "And this is Danni Jones. She's married to Eli's grandson. And she's an attorney. She'll be working with your attorney on the divorce and the identity change." Max shook Danni's hand.

"Good to meet you both," Max said. "Let's get started, then, shall we?" Danni sat next to Max and went over the paperwork as Adrestia and Eli watched. They spent about an hour going over everything and when Danni felt the paperwork was complete, she sat back.

"Okay," she said. "I'll get with your attorney on this and we'll get it done." Adrestia handed Max his cell phone.

"This was left in your house," she said. "Why don't you call your attorney and let him know?" Max nodded his head and took the phone. He dialed his lawyer's cell and waited for him to answer.

"Max, how are you feeling?" his lawyer asked when he answered.

"I'm doing much better, Saul, thanks for asking," Max said. "Listen, I need a huge favor from you."

"Any time, my friend," Saul said. "What's going on?"

"Well, it's rather complicated and I really don't want to get into it over the phone," Max said. "I need some things done, quickly, and I've got someone on her way over to see you, a Danni Jones. I'd like you to work with her to expedite some things for me."

"Ah yes, I remember her," Saul said. "She's the one who took a huge bite out of Acme if I recall. If she's involved, it must be serious."

"More than I can tell you right now," Max said. "I've signed all the papers and I've given permission for her to work with you on my behalf."