Melinoe Ch. 26-30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Samira raised her eyebrow, "What's that?"

"Another weapon to test the Barrier." Max smirked.

"Fair enough," Samira closed her case, then stood carrying her sheathed weapons.

The two women stepped out of the armory, Samira secured the door, and they both descended into the cargo hold. Joon, Astrid and Paula were sitting on spectator's row watching Agatha and Vika stretching out.

Max set the black case down and sat next to Joon. Joon eyed the case, "Oh, there's something I didn't expect to see."

Max nodded, "This mission may be the ideal time to use it."

Astrid and Paula glanced at the case. Joon explained, "It's a fancy hunting bow Max got as a gift and never used."

Max shrugged, "Hunting as entertainment doesn't appeal to me."

Joon smiled at her first wife, "I told her to hold onto it, just in case."

Max and Joon shared a brief kiss as Astrid looked at Samira's handful of weapons. "Why did you guys bring weapons down, I thought we were going to work on Abilities?"

Samira nodded, "I want to test your Barrier...Thoroughly."

"Oh!" Astrid blinked. "I've been thinking about that, or more accurately my wetware's been doing some calculations on it." Agatha and Vika knelt down in front of Astrid, now paying close attention.

Astrid looked at everyone, "Am I going first?"

Samira smiled, "Can you tell us what your marvelous mind has come up with?"

Astrid's cheeks colored, "Um, I get the impression that Barrier can be manipulated somewhat."

"I guess I will try messing with that here, though, I'm not sure how far I can push it."

Paula pursed her lips, "I noticed that every time you have used it, around yourself, and around others, it gets anchored on or in something."

Astrid made a face, "What do you mean?"

Max and Samira shared a look. "The bubble itself," Paula elaborated, "It's grounded on something."

Joon nodded, "Like the floor, the kitchen island, or the sidewalk."

Astrid thought about that and nodded, "Yea, okay, you're correct."

The ship shuddered ever so slightly but it was noticed by everyone and all eyes went to Agatha who nodded. "Deirdre has successfully attached to The Ghusmik Urr, I will do my best to calculate our ETA when the data becomes available." Agatha diligently reported.

Max nodded and smiled, "Well done, Ag's"

Joon returned her attention to Astrid, "Can you create a bubble that isn't touching anything?"

The sitting Engineer held one hand before her palm facing the opposite wall while Agatha and Vika moved to either side, out of Astrid's target view. Astrid lifted her other hand palm up and a wet lavender sphere appeared. The bubble hung in the air... Slowly drifting to the aft of the cargo bay.

"Oh, that's wild." Paula watched the sphere stop against the large cargo door.

Samira glanced at Astrid who was watching with the same enthusiasm as Paula, "Can you make another one?"

Astrid's forehead wrinkled in concentration and a second bubble came into existence. It, too floated slowly aftward, then touched gently on the first, and slowly moved to one side to settle next to the first against the door.

"Magic bubbles," Vika said softly.

Joon giggled, "I think you're right."

"Hmmm, let me try something." Astrid narrowed her eyes, she lifted her hands and grasped the air like she was holding two imaginary items. The Engineer moved her arms, and the two spheres smoothly moved to the center of the bay.

Everyone gasped. "Nice!" Joon beamed.

Paula's eyes were wide, "Can you change them? Alter their shape?"

"That's one of the things my wetware has been working on." Astrid's lips twisted slightly.

Astrid's face contorted in concentration... Her lavender eyes started to glow. Max noticed Astrid's eyes and she pointed it out to the other wives silently; everyone nodded in amazement.

The two lavender bubbles came together then slowly deformed into each other. Instead of combining into one bubble, they overlapped into a double bubble.

"Whoa." Max blinked at the double sphere.

Then Astrid smirked a slightly devious expression, the strange shape shifted and stretched into a torus.

"What is that?" Samira asked.

"It's a doughnut," Joon said softly.

The talented Engineer altered the shape further, into an elliptic torus as Max and Joon shared a proud look.

Vika nodded, "A tall, thin ring."

It was still an encapsulated shape, having an interior volume.

"That's amazing, Asa-chan." Agatha said softly with obvious pride.

Astrid smiled while still concentrating on her Barrier.

"Thank you, my wetware will help me remember this shape exactly." Astrid opened her hands suddenly, the wet lavender shape disappeared, the glow in her eyes faded. She stood and walked to the center of the bay.

The nude Engineer twisted her lips again, "So I can replicate it, like this..." Astrid smiled broadly as she raised her hands palm up. A fully formed glossy lavender elliptic torus appeared around Astrid. The upper and lower edges just cleared the floor and ceiling.

"What do you think?" Astrid smiled.

Her family cheered and applauded.

Paula enthusiastically asked, "Is it centered on you? Can you walk around with it?"

The Engineer walked in a small circle and the Barrier moved with her, "I have to kind of carry it, but it's not hard to do, it's like holding a datapad."

"That's fantastic!" Max exclaimed.

Everyone felt the transition into hyper-warp. Eyes turned to Agatha once again. Agatha looked at nothing, her head was tilted slightly. "Another step in the protocol...The target system is nearby, ETA forty-two minutes."

Max and Joon both nodded. Astrid let her Barrier fade, she sat back down with her best friends in the universe and Samira pulled her into a hug, "That was very impressive, Asa-chan."

Everyone agreed. Max shared a brief look with Samira then both of them smiled at Astrid. "May Max and I test a Barrier with our weapons?"

Astrid nodded, "Sure thing!"

"What would you like, and where would you like it?" The Engineer asked.

Samira shared a look and a shrug with Max. "I think a sphere should be okay." Max responded.

Samira added, "Can we have it anchored in the middle?"

Astrid smiled broadly, "It would be my pleasure!"

0o0

Zuki slithered closer to the Terran Consulate, the damp overcast sky felt cool and refreshing. She stopped and looked up at the precinct, the old, thick structure looked tired to Zuki's eyes.

The tumult that currently enveloped Staverka had supposedly started with this building. It wasn't that long ago that no one gave a single solitary thought about Terrans or their powerful but distant Federation. They had a dubious reputation, some of it was merited, but they seemed mostly okay to Zuki.

Every once in a while you'd see one, or trade with one, they were just people. The Terran language wasn't hard to learn, but could get you into trouble with its nuances if you weren't careful. Zuki had found herself wondering about how the Consulate sprung up so quickly. So, like any good prospective employee, Zuki did a holonet search. What she found both shocked and intimidated the hell out of her.

Starting with Her Excellency, The Exquisite Lady Jooniper Smith. Her tribute to Staverka and the Slarmian people in the form of an incredible music holovid was currently the most popular song on the planet if not the nation. Zuki had totally missed it, working her delivery routes constantly for weeks at a time. But now, she was in the know... So, she didn't stop there, she kept digging.

Zuki saw a bootleg holovid of a Dauzakai concert that had to be seen to be believed. Then found the Ambassadorial Event Massacre, and elevation of Dame Captain Max Anders. The Slarmian pilot was now far more anxious about entering c the building she had been inside just that morning. She was seriously reconsidering her earlier enthusiasm.

Zuki shook her head, she needed to be pragmatic, she couldn't afford to pass up this chance. The long thin Slarmian straightened her spine and opened the door to the Consulate. She slithered into the foyer where a Terran stood behind the counter leaning over a datapad, exactly where the lovely Slarmian Receptionist had been earlier.

Zuki was more than a little mad at herself for not getting that Slarmian's name.

She was intelligent, adorable, obviously interested, and said she would put in a good word on Zuki's behalf. The Terran looked up and smiled. She looked familiar to Zuki, but couldn't place where from.

"Hello, can I help you?" The Terran asked in perfect Slarmian. Zuki blinked at the Terran's linguistic skill, then slithered up to the counter.

"Hi there, um, I was here this morning and the Receptionist said I should come back at sixteen hundred."

The Terran smiled again, "Ah, Zuki, yes, you are Teffa's last interview of the day."

Zuki blinked, "Is that the Major-domo?"

The Terran nodded, "Yes, the current meeting is running long, however, you are welcome to wait in reception until you can be seen."

"That sounds great, thank you..." Zuki paused, biting her lip.

"Una... Call me, Una." She smiled at Zuki, who still couldn't quite place where she'd seen the black furred Terran before.

"Thank you, Una." They shared a nod.

Zuki slithered back along the wall adjacent to the entrance and coiled down, she pulled out her old commercial grade datapad and started scrolling. The reception area had a little low table, some decorative plants, and a couple pieces of nice art on the wall. In about ten minutes a thick Slarmian slithered by without a word and went out through the lobby.

Zuki stared after him, wondering who he was. Maybe it was Teffa and would be back shortly? Another five minutes went by, but the thick Slarmian did not return.

"Hi, Zuki." The smallish lovely Slarmian slithered into the reception area carrying a tray with an ornate tea service.

Zuki's bright-yellow eyes went wide, "Oh, hello... Again... Oh wow, tea."

The Receptionist set the tray on the low table. Zuki felt extremely awkward, unable to bring herself to ask the lovely Receptionist her name after departing without it earlier that morning. The smallish Slarmian coiled down next to Zuki with a smile.

The tea service was obviously antique and likely quite expensive. It was made of blue-green Slarmian glass with gold trim in an elegant, traditional design. Zuki was astounded that anyone would present her with such an honor.

"Oh, um, I'm so sorry, I may not be able to stay and enjoy this with you, as I have yet to see Major-domo Teffa." Zuki confessed with heartfelt concern in her eyes.

The small Slarmian stopped immediately and adopted a look of endearment.

"Of course... I wouldn't dream of keeping you from the interview," She said softly with a slight smile.

Zuki watched the lovely Receptionist proceed to make tea in traditional fashion, performed for centuries throughout the Grand Slarmian Dynasty. This specific social ceremony was reserved for important meetings, honored guests and... Dates.

The smallish Slarmian executed the ritual flawlessly.

Zuki swallowed nervously, she glanced at the Terran behind the counter. Una seemed to be busy on a datapad and ignored the two Slarmians in reception. The Receptionist moved with poise and placed the beautiful cups of aromatic tea before Zuki and herself.

They lifted teacups and inhaled the delicate fragrance together.

"Oh, that smells amazing, what is it?" Zuki asked, her expression curious.

The smallish Slarmian returned the smile, "It's called Wunai Moon tea, it's from Dau."

They both sipped and observed a quiet moment of contemplation.

Zuki gazed fondly at the lovely Receptionist, "Delicious... Is it hard to get?"

She smiled, "It's not too difficult, I know someone at the Dau Embassy..."

Zuki smiled softly, feeling the tea settle her nerves.

"So, you're from Boozi?" The Receptionist tilted her head, changing the subject.

Zuki smirked, "Yup, the one and only."

"It's so pretty there." The smallish Slarmian smiled.

Zuki nodded, "Yea, It's... A good place to be from..."

Boozi was a very popular resort town on Staverka, it had been that way forever. It was nestled between the largest freshwater lake and the smallest salty sea. A common destination for newlyweds and romantic rendezvous.

"You'd rather work in space?" The smallish Slarmian smiled.

Zuki giggled softly, "Definitely, Boozi is a great place to visit, but living there...Let's just say, jobs in Boozi are mostly public relations, and customer service."

The Receptionist smiled warmly at Zuki, "You just want to fly, don't you?"

The long thin Slarmian pilot nodded, hearing her own feelings said aloud.

Zuki was trying to think of some way, 'any' way of asking the bright adorable Receptionist her name without looking like an idiot. Her misgivings about working here seemed completely unreasonable and excessive now. Zuki felt oddly safe and cared for in this moment, it was a pleasant change from the frantic break-neck pace of a bonded courier.

"I'm starting to worry that the Major-domo will spoil this delightful tea and conversation." Zuki said softly, smiling hopefully at the lovely smallish Slarmian.

"You know, for a pilot, you can be surprisingly obtuse." The Receptionist replied with an impish grin.

Zuki blinked, "What?"

Una walked around the counter into the reception area, the smallish Slarmian looked up.

"Lakita is starting dinner, she wants to know if she should make extra?" Una asked the Receptionist.

She nodded, "I'm going to say: yes, please; though Zuki's 'interview' may result in tardiness."

Zuki blinked in confusion as Una nodded with a smirk, "I'll let her know. Do you require anything before I go upstairs?"

The Receptionist smiled, then leveled a sultry look at Zuki, "No, I've got everything I need."

Zuki glanced at Una then turned her attention to the sultry look and swallowed.

Una nodded, "Dinner should be ready in an hour or so."

The smallish lovely Slarmian looked up at the Terran and smiled.

"Thank you, Una."

The Terran curtsied.

"Your welcome, Teffa."

Zuki froze.

0o0

Max spun a carbon shaft between her fingers, the threaded field point slipped right into the alloy seat. Inside the open case were several dozen highly polished carbon shafts and the heavy field points. Astrid was examining the Bjornwerks Panzer compound bow and the switchblade style broadheads.

It wouldn't take too long for Max to get twenty of them ready to shoot. While she was assembling her arrows she watched Deirdre's Security Chief warming up to go full-bore on Astrid's Barrier.

Samira looked amazing, with her beautiful polearm. Her graceful movements made the difficult routine look easy. With her four hands she twirled the deadly weapon all around her and soon it was obvious she had a strong connection to her chosen weapons.

Samira completed her warm up, squaring up on the lavender bubble.

She started off with a simple strike with the Nagamaki to test the glossy surface of Astrid's Barrier. The slightly curved blade cut through the air, then stopped without a sound. It wasn't a sudden or jarring hit; the blade didn't rebound in any way. All of the kinetic energy was just completely absorbed.

Samira tilted her head; she prodded the wet looking surface with the Nagamaki's chisel point. It didn't feel solid, the Barrier felt like gradually thickening layers of viscous liquid.

Samira glanced at Astrid and noted she was studying Max's cool looking bow. The cyborg returned her focus to the barrier in front of her which was still anchored to the center of the cargo bay floor.

Samira stepped back, then immediately attacked. Heavy strikes fell, four hands gripped the hilt wrap tsuka style handle of the Nagamaki.

Joon and Paula shared a look with raised eyebrows as Samira brutally ravaged Astrid's 'Magic Bubble'. Her strikes came hard and fast, the sustained assault lasting for almost ten minutes. Samira's relentless offensive garnered all of her wives attention.

Astrid blinked in surprise. Max turned to see Astrid's reaction and saw that the Engineer's eyes glowed lavender.

*Astrid, your eyes are glowing.* Max announced to the network.

Joon and Vika looked at Astrid. *I think... I think I am collecting the kinetic energy from Samira's blows.* Astrid replied.

*That's fucking cool* Joon commented.

Everyone's attention returned to Samira as she slowed then stopped: she was panting. Samira glanced at her wives and she swallowed; standing with her mouth open, her tattooed flesh beaded with sweat. Her breathing came heavy, the beautiful ornate Nagamaki sagged down in her grip.

Samira looked down at the weapon. "I feel... I'm at the edge of something." Samira said breathlessly.

"What does it feel like?" Max inquired.

Samira shook her head.

"My Nagamaki..."

Samira walked over to Max, and knelt down.

"It feels wrong."

The Paladin handed the Nagamaki hilt first to the Warrior. Max's eyes went wide. "My dear, Captain-wife, please accept this weapon." Samira smiled.

Max nodded and accepted the offered Nagamaki. Samira stood up, picked up her paired Wakizashi and knelt in front of Vika.

Vika put a finger on Samira's lips. The redhead gently took the paired Wakizashi from Samira with a smile. Samira kissed Vika's cheek and stood again. Max sheathed the Nagamaki after Agatha handed her the long scabbard and everyone's eyes were on Samira once again.

The tattooed cyborg Paladin went back to stand in front of the wet lavender bubble that was Astrid's Barrier. Samira took a deep breath, then closed her eyes. She let herself feel completely divested of her old weapons: there was now room for something new.

Samira opened her eyes... They were golden stars shining with inner light. A single right hand reached across her body to her left hip, Samira's tattoos shimmered to life. Her metal finger's sensor pads felt a pommel, and slowly moved around it. Samira's wives gasped softly in unison, within the Paladin's grip, a golden hilt coalesced into existence.

She slowly withdrew a golden longsword from thin air, as if from a scabbard, her tattoos blazing golden. Samira held the sword before herself, its design was ancient and ornate. It's appearance was a mythical apparition and it had no appreciable weight. The translucent golden blade glowed as tendrils of amber energy rose off its surface like steam. Samira turned to her wives, her golden eyes still alight. "Behold... Durendal: Sword of the Paladin."

Samira's wives cheered for her and tears of joy began to appear unbidden from her wives. When the excitement and praise died down, Samira and Max shared a meaningful look reserved for recognizing a fellow warrior.

Max nodded, "Take your time... That's a magic sword, no telling what it can do."

Samira's eyes had never dimmed, they glowed with the same brightness Durendal did. She glanced at Astrid, then turned her attention back to the lavender Barrier. Astrid was absolutely focused on Samira. Vika and Paula held hands as Max and Joon shared a worried look.

Samira was going to take a swing at the Barrier, but then remembered what Max said. She held the glowing sword in front of her, then just pushed it forward.

Durendal went through the Barrier with almost no resistance.

Everyone gasped, Astrid had both her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide. Astrid immediately went to the Barrier, "Don't move!"

Samira froze. Astrid laid her hand on her Barrier, she locked eyes with Samira. Both of their eyes were glowing.

"I can feel your power, I can... Read the sword!" Astrid said excitedly.

Samira blinked, "You can 'read' it?"

Astrid gasped in shock, she stared at the sword.

"Fuckmuffins!"

"What's wrong?" Joon asked.

"Nothing's..." Astrid stopped and stared at where Durendal had pierced her Barrier.