All Comments on 'Met His Old Lover'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 33 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Yes! You can go back again!

Beautiful story, beautifully done. I like happy endings. If only more of us could see ahead to know and appreciate what we have now! We need to have dreams but we have to know how to separate the from reality.

Well done. BRAVO!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Excellent

This may be your best story yet!

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
the Prelude made it so real, it's bittersweet

the fictional story was very exceptionally written; but I thought what made the whole thing --- from the opening letter to the last --- real was that it's based on a "real story" of star-crossed lovers who, in real life, did not get to love each other like it happened in the story...

this made the story unique/special in an unattainably, bittersweetly ethereal way!

the opening lines about "one of the children, in later years, would haunt" the fictional/real narrator, I thought was such a EFFECTIVE literary technique, which you don't normally see in shorter/erotic writings like here in Lit., but here, this good author did it!

thank you,,,, though I normally don't think it is a good idea to continue a story that ended well like this, in this case the author may want to tell the story from Bethany's perspective, say, some years down the road? the story was special, heart-warming because of the Bethany character: unlike the prelude, in the fictional story Bethany and Jeff met again and held on to each other, partly because of their good memories, and partly because of their love, trust and, yes, need for each other due to their present circumstances.

it'd be good to know that they became a happy family, adding to the two children they both loved more children of their own: Beth would not only be able to find true solace again in a child she and Jeff have together, but Jeff would also finally get to find a lasting, biological bond with a woman he let go, due to "youth and inexperience", some 15 years ago in college,,,,, and regreted ever since, he said,,,,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Bravo!

Great Job!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Hold on... I'm wiping a tear

I was glued to the story like no other one I've read on this board before. As I think back, maybe I will take that exit the next time I pass by my old hometown.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Amazing!!!!

This is an incredible story! It may mean more to me because I am a Fogelberg fan from his home state (as a man, that may make me uncool, but I don't care). I usually like your stories, but you have outdone yourself this time. Congratulations. Will you do an updated story on this in the future?

saw_man1saw_man1almost 18 years ago
Sweet story

This was a sweet and touching story. However, I think I liked the preface better. Those words seemed to flow better and had a more natural feel.

MetzovMetzovalmost 18 years ago
I can be a hard voter

But this story forced a 5 out of me as the best example of a life as we wished it had turned out rather then how it did turn out story that I've ever read.

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 18 years ago
Very romantic fantasy

Your introduction made this story very sad - one of the other comments used the word 'bittersweet' which is what I was thinking of. Well done once again, Dinsmore.

I was very fortunate - basically bought the kids from my ex and got full sole custody. Always knew I was fortunate but this story really hit me like a ton of bricks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Chances & KUDO's

Your talent, shown in a story of consequence and respect like this, is not only brilliant, but when it flows accross such a large segment of readership for our enjoyment, it gives credibilty to the term Story Teller.

You just keep getting better and more appreciated by more readers.

More please at interval - With Very High Regard

peggytwittypeggytwittyalmost 18 years ago
A great story of a love that never died

I do love a good romance story, and this one was great. Such a tearjerker and a real heart tugger.

Wonderful writing and so well seen in my mind.

Thank you

PT

DesertPirateDesertPiratealmost 18 years ago
Again

and again and again, you just keep doing it! Another fine story with enough twists to keep the pulse up and an ending that most hoped for. It just doesn't get any better. Thank you for another fine story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

This story touched my heart....I laughed, I cried, I felt the characters as if they were people that I had known all my life. You do beautiful work. Keep writing and I'll keep reading. Thanks again for such a wonderful story!!!!

srgeeksrgeekalmost 15 years ago
I usually like your stories...

I didn't get a chance to find out about this one, you killed it for me with the preface. Most of the on line stories that I read that include an autobiographical or fictional preface or "setup" by the author, I read in spite of the preface and/or "setup".

<P>

While I'm grumbling about things authors do, what is it with using songs to pad stories. I understand how a song could inspire a story, but that shouldn't require you to include the song or even significant pieces of it. If readers know the song, they will "get it", if they don't know the song they are more likely to not "get it". Reading a song is not the same as hearing it, also when you include a song or excerpts of one, assumptions you make writing the story are different from those made without the song.

<P>

So many authors are now including product brand names as well as lyrics, a body could wonder if someone offering money for product placement.

<P>

Story dating, if you want to place a story significantly in the past or future, include the year with any dates in the story, otherwise leave off the year, your story will seem fresh and timely much longer unless you also include an event or person known world wide such as "the 911 terrorist attacks", "bombing of Pearl Harbor", "Sadam Hussein", "Adolph Hitler", or other famous persons and events.

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago

I am 80 years old. I cried.

ChuckWhoopeeChuckWhoopeeover 12 years ago
Nice

You've probably heard it before, but to my taste you've been overdoing it with the "..."s in this one. Yes I know, still got to write stuff in the same league as you have done myself :-)

Cheers,

Chuck

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

well written,keep up the good work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
wonderful

very well written,didnt want it to end, would like a follow up to this story in the future..Well done!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Nice but can be confusing

The story was quite nice and ended well. But I wish you would have specified who said what; in more than a few places it was hard and/or got frustrating to try to figure out what each character was speaking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
better

than most.

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I agree with most of the others

Awesome story,great writing and I really liked the song inferences. I will look for a sequel.

Jeff_ThomasJeff_Thomasabout 10 years ago
you're one of my favorite lit authors.

Great story. It paints a beautiful picture. I look forward to more of the same. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
In Memory of Dan Fogelberg

We lost this talented songwriter / musician to prostate cancer back in December of 2007. He was way too young. But, as he implied in " Leader of the Band", the music will continue to live long after the composer is gone. RIP Dan.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 9 years ago
Yep you have a rhythm

It is another good story - The idea that you might have lived it is a fascinating trip into the unknowable.

We all have made choices in the past that led to making us who we are now. Some good, some decidedly bad - but all make us well - US. Can we go around the past to arrive at a new now with more of what we liked in that past??? HHHMMMmmm cool idea.

niestarniestaralmost 9 years ago
another great one

I love your work.i have read all your stories posted in this site.you are a great writer.thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
The hits keep on coming

Another terrific notch in your story belt. Been in the protagonist's shoes and can relate to the tremendous angst he feels/felt. Reading this was time well spent. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

You made me AND my wife cry! Kudos to you!

This was nothing short of a literary masterpiece

DeKreDeKrealmost 5 years ago
Outstanding

* * * * *

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Damn!

That ‘s a very good story, my first five star story in a very long time!

cybojicybojiabout 4 years ago
Dinsmore

You are a craftsmen with a pen. 5

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

A warm and wonderful love story. The only thing lacking is the detail of the new family and where it ended up. A 2nd chapter or an Epilogue would have been nice. 5 stars, well done Dinsmore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Five Stars for a great love story

I was really moved by the lost love, lost spouse and children in accident and the children’s situation with the divorced couple! I think a nephew of mine is going through a similar situation of Ex making him jump through hoops to get children for his joint custody’s periods of time. This and other stories by Dinsmore are great reads. I hope the author continues to add more to this site! Thanks

Baton Rouge Cajun Guy

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 1 year ago

Good story, but stops short of them being happily married and all being settled in a new house living their best life.

A note to Romance writers: I know some of you think that writing traditional HEA endings is unimaginative and consequently don’t bother - this story is an example of the way it’s done, taking us almost to the brink, but pulling back, would you do that with a lover? No you wouldn’t! So, I f you want the top star rating, finish the story properly, if you can’t, live with being downvoted. 3⭐️

Regards Ppfzz.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous