Michael or Mac Ep. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sorry, Sir, but we need to follow procedure. He will be taken to the local precinct and questioned. Is there somewhere we can take you that's not so exposed?"

"What? Sorry, ummmmm, yeah. My girlfriend is at the gallery; if that's okay with you, we can go there," I reply. My eyes haven't left James. They've got him to his feet, and he looks at me looking worried. "Officer," I shout. "He is not a criminal; he is a hero. I expect him to be treated with respect. He will give you no problems. Isn't that right, James?" I shout, but James isn't listening or in shock.

"He will be fine, and we will look after him until we know what's happening. I'm sure plain clothes will be down shortly to ask some questions."

We walk the last hundred yards to the gallery, and the security guard immediately opens the door to let us in. I'm immediately tackled by Emma and Isabel, wanting to know where James was. I explained that the police had arrested him and he would be taken to the precinct.

My phone rings again, "Olivia, are you on your way?"

"Not yet, but I need you to do something without questions. You and Emma are to get in the car I have sent for you. It will take you to the heliport where there will be a helicopter waiting to bring you back to the ranch."

"But...."

"But nothing, Mac, someone just tried to kill you, and until we know more, you will be safer here. I will then fly back and get James out tomorrow morning."

I look at Emma and Isabel, who are looking at me for news. I take a deep breath, "Okay, see you soon," I say, defeated. I hang up. "A car is coming to pick Emma and me up and take us to the heliport. They want me back at the ranch where I will be safe while they work out if there is a bigger threat. Olivia will come back on the helicopter to help James."

Both girls look worried as Sophie walks over. "I can get Isabel home in my car if that helps. I will then wait for...Olivia, is it?"

She gets a nod as the security guard comes over. "Your car has arrived, Mr. Carter."

"Thank you," I say. "Come on, baby, let's get you back to the ranch." Emma seems to be in shock as I walk her out to the waiting car. By this time, a sizable crowd has turned up. Luckily, we are inside the police cordon, and I rush Emma into the waiting car.

The driver doesn't wait around, and the police escort us out and on the way to the heliport. As promised, a helicopter is waiting, and we are in the air within twenty minutes of leaving the gallery.

I hold Emma all the way to the ranch. She has been quiet since the shooting, and I am worried about her. As we circle to land, the ranch is lit up. I see men walking around with guns and Olivia, Susan, and Buck waiting by the truck.

Walking down toward Olivia, I am pulled into a very intense hug. Simultaneously, Susan wraps her arms around Emma. "Christ, Mac. We could have lost you. What happened?"

"I'm not sure. James reacted first and saved us. Olivia, I owe that man my life. He was so quick to defend us that it was unbelievable. Olivia, we need to get Emma looked at; she's in total shock."

We look across at Susan with Emma in her arms. "Susan, Buck, we must get these two into the house. Buck, can you get the Doc over tonight to look at Emma?" Buck nods, and we move toward the truck. "Mac, I will call you as soon as I know anything in the morning," Olivia says as she lets me go and walks toward the helicopter.

No sooner are we clear than the helicopter starts back up again, and it's gone. I get the same response as we walk into the house. Susan guides Emma into the family room and sits her down on one of the couches.

"Okay, what happened?" Susan says in her rarely used authoritative way.

I sat and explained to the most important people in my life what had happened and where James was as we spoke. I don't think Olivia had told the whole story because, as I explained the shooting, the shock on everyone's faces increased.

Buck broke the silence when he spoke. "Shit" Was all it took to break the silence and for the gravity of the situation to overcome those in the room. Again, I am hugged and held, both cheeks coloured with each shade of lipstick.

Paps walks into the room, and silence descends. "Kim will be here first thing and I've called an emergency meeting of the board," he says before walking out.

Now it's my turn to say, "Shit." I turn to Susan in a daze and say "The last time we had an emergency board meeting was when my parents passed." That last sentence stuns the room and shows them the full ramifications of what has happened. My life will never be the same.

to be continued...

1...5678910