Mike & Savy Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I only had a few weeks to play under Max's tutelage before I had to set aside my violin to properly prepare for my finals. After our last session, I asked him if it would be possible to take a formal class in the fall. His response was that he'd already reserved spots for me in Music Theory and an ensemble class for strings.

By the time mom was picking me up at the end of the semester to go back to Salisbury, I was already looking forward to getting back to campus as soon as possible.

During the summer, I offered to get a job to help contribute, but mom insisted that I take time and enjoy myself. There'd be plenty of time to work in the future, she would say. For now, I was young and she wanted me to be happy. When my grades were posted, I'd pulled 4 As and a B. Still not perfect, but much better, and that made me happy.

For the first few weeks of June, I mostly stayed at home. Mom and I were talking again and spending time together, just like we used to. She was extremely excited about what had happened with Max during the spring. She made me promise her that if I played in a concert, I would tell her so that she could drive up to see me. I think she was just thrilled to see me excited about something again.

Mandy, Aly, and I started going to Ocean City, regularly. It's a close enough drive to go over for a day, or even just an afternoon, of sitting on the beach or walking along the boardwalk. Both Mandy and Aly had boyfriends at college now and sometimes it would be the five of us. When Mandy's boyfriend brought along a friend, it was obvious that they were trying to set me up. He was a good looking guy and seemed nice enough, but I just wasn't interested. I don't know if it was because I wasn't ready to be interested or I just didn't quite fit with him, but either way, I preferred being the fifth wheel more than having them trying to set me up.

And of course, I played. When it was insanely hot, I'd play in my room. When it was gorgeous out, especially in the evening, I'd walk barefoot into the yard and play while feeling the grass between my toes. I'd practice scales, I'd play pieces that I had known for years, and I'd try as many combinations of concertos and pop or rock hits as I could think of.

Mom threw a Fourth of July party and had quite a few friends and colleagues over for a cookout. I'd known many of them for as long as I could remember and they were interested in how I had done during my first year at Maryland. As I answered question after question, I came to a startling realization. I was happy... and I was okay with that.

Various other events happened over the summer. Jeff and Mia came down and we drove over to Assateague for an overnight camping trip. Mom and I went to see a few ballgames at Camden Yards. She also took me for a full day at a spa in Annapolis, where Maria joined us, which I had never done before. After we left, I chuckled to her on the way back to Salisbury that I could get used to being pampered like that.

I enjoyed every moment of it, but I could also feel my excitement growing as the fall semester approached. Maria and I would be staying in the same dorm, but this time as roommates. I registered for both classes that Max had reserved for me and set in on preparatory coursework for both of them. I wanted to be fully prepared by the time I stepped back into the performing arts center.

In a flash, mom was dropping me off at Maryland, again. Maria was there and after we'd brought up all my things, we spent some time rearranging the room to suit our needs. Before mom left to go back home, she ran down to the car and brought back a box, carefully gift-wrapped.

"I just wanted to give you something. I'm so proud of you."

I opened the box and pulled out a beautiful, pure white sundress. I started to tear up and threw my arms around her.

"Thanks, mom. I love you."

"I love you, too, sweetie."

And then it was time for classes to start. On the first day, I put on the sundress that mom had gotten me. I rarely wore white, but after I was dressed, Maria told me how wonderfully the dress highlighted my creamy caramel complexion. It had two thin straps that went up over my shoulders and was cut modestly at my knees. Still, it fit like a glove and Maria told me I'd better be careful or guys would be following me around campus all day. I left my hair down, but used a clip to pull some of it back.

Before my first class, I walked to the health center and popped my head into Dr. Vargas' office. She told me that I looked absolutely lovely and, more importantly, I looked completely happy. I was.

My first class of the semester was Introduction to Asian American Studies, which I was taking with Maria to fulfill Maryland's CORE requirement for a diversity course. After we'd found seats in the lecture hall, two guys walked in. I was just generally people watching, but one of them made eye contact with me and smiled. He grabbed his friend's shoulder and they turned up the aisle we were sitting on, before sliding into seats in our row, leaving one empty seat between us. He never said anything during that first class, but every time I looked up from my notebook towards the professor, I'd catch him out of the corner of my eye looking at me.

I had another morning class, this one without Maria, but we met for lunch and after grabbing sandwiches at the dining hall, ate at the picnic table behind our dorm. It was too gorgeous outside to stay cooped up inside.

In the afternoon, I made my way to the performing arts center for my first strings ensemble class. When I walked into the room, a few other students were already there and setting up. It looked like we'd be a string quintet, but with a double bass instead of a second viola.

A girl holding a viola was absorbed in shuffling some sheets of music and ignored me, but off to the side the cello player looked up at me. He pulled his moderately long blonde hair out of his eyes and smiled broadly at me. Then I recognized him. It was Josh, who'd come into the practice room back in February and, because he'd told Max about me, was basically responsible for me being there.

Josh started to come over to me, but stopped as soon as he saw Max come into the room. He immediately turned, went back to his seat, and picked up his cello. I rushed to an empty chair and prepared myself. The other students seemed to know each other and I assumed they'd played together at least a few times the previous year. Since I was new, Max started off by introducing me.

His demeanor was rather different than when I'd previously studied with just him. He wasn't mean, but he was certainly more businesslike and made it clear that because our practice time was limited, we needed to be ready the instant he came into the room. That first hour together passed quickly and I could see why he didn't want any time wasted. We'd all been given several pieces to work on before the semester started, so that we could begin playing together immediately. It'd been over a year since I'd played with other players and, to my embarrassment, I missed a few cues. I played a bit timidly, letting the other violin player, who was more aggressive, take the lead.

At the end of the class, Max was much more relaxed. As we packed our things, he spoke with each one of us. To me, he simply said, "Relax. You'll get used to playing with others again."

I was on my way out the door when I felt a hand on my elbow. I turned and it was Josh.

"Hey, it's good to see you here."

"Yeah. I wasn't sure, but I think this will be good. I guess I should... uh... thank you. You told Max about me and then he found me."

"Well, I heard you play. I had to do something." He grinned at me. It was a very sweet grin. He had prominent dimples and smiled somewhat to the side, giving him a certain boyish charm.

"I'll see you next time." I smiled back.

I was surprised the next day when I walked into the lecture hall for Music Theory and while deciding where to sit, I saw Josh. I'd assumed it was a class that most music majors would have taken as freshmen, but apparently not. I hesitated and then walked up and sat next to him.

This time, I spoke first. "Hi."

His face spread into a grin again and he tucked his blonde hair behind his ears. It came down to about chin length and was a kind of retro cut. He would've fit right in with John, Paul, George, and Ringo in the late '60s.

"Hey, Savannah. I guess you're diving back into music head first, huh?"

"Just these two classes. I'm not giving up on biology yet."

We sat quietly for a minute. I didn't know why, but I was... nervous.

The professor came in and walked to the podium in front of the room before setting down her things. She passed over the usual first class introduction and almost immediately launched into a lecture. I furiously scribbled notes trying to keep up.

At the end of the class, I packed my things in my bag and stood up to go. Josh haphazardly threw his notebook into a bag and rushed to walk next to me.

"Hey, you live on campus?"

"Yeah, I'm in Dorcester."

"Oh, I'm still on North Campus. Um... I've got another class today, down near the South Campus dining hall. Would you wanna meet up for dinner later?"

I could feel myself blushing, but still... it's just the dining hall and I could use a friend in the music program.

"Um... sure."

"Six?"

"Okay."

"Great, I'll see you out front. I've gotta go this way," he pointed towards the North Campus dorms.

I just smiled and put my head down, letting my hair fall around my face, as I turned to walk back to my dorm.

Back at the dorm, Maria was hanging out in the lounge with some students that I didn't know. When I came inside, I made eye contact with her and nodded at the elevator. She excused herself and came to meet me. As the doors opened, she asked, "What's up?"

"Can you come to dinner tonight at six?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Okay. I... uh..."

My face was warm again. Stop that!

She noticed and chuckled. "What're you up to, Sav?"

"Well, there's a guy who's actually in both of my music classes... and he asked if I wanted to meet up for dinner tonight."

"Oh, do tell!"

"Umm... I actually met him last year. I was over at the center playing and he came into the room looking for a place to practice. We didn't talk much and I left, but later when Max came across me playing there, he said that a student had told him about me and said that he had to hear me play. It was Josh. And now, he's in my ensemble and my theory classes."

"Well, that's nice to know, but tell me the important stuff! What's he look like?"

I laughed and rolled my eyes before pushing her playfully.

"You'll just have to come along tonight to see for yourself."

We sat around in our room chatting until about a quarter of six. As we left the room, I glanced at the mirror on my dresser on the way out and ran my hand through my hair. When I turned back towards the door, Maria was grinning at me. I blushed, yet again.

On the way to the dining hall, we switched to half-English and half-Tagalog, with her correcting any of my mistakes or answering questions on certain words I didn't know. When we got close to the dorm, I could see that Josh was already sitting on a short wall out front.

We got close and he saw me, popping to his feet.

"Hey!"

"Hi Josh. This is my friend, Maria."

He didn't seem surprised that I'd come with a friend. They exchanged hellos and we started walking inside. Josh went to the grill while Maria and I got in line for noodle bowls. She pinched my side and when I looked at her, she whispered, "He's cute!" After we'd paid, we waited for Josh and then the three of us found a table.

I felt so bad, the conversation was more of an inquisition! Maria asked him question after question and he answered them all. He was from North Carolina and when he really got talking, slipped into just a bit of a southern drawl. Maryland had actually recruited him and he was on a partial scholarship for music performance. On and on she went and finally she asked if he had a girlfriend. At that, he turned red and stammered out a no.

We sat around for a bit after we'd finished eating with Josh managing to get in a few questions for us. Simple stuff like where we were from and what Maria was studying. Eventually, we got up to leave and we walked together for a bit, as he would be walking past our dorm heading back to North Campus anyway. He said goodbye at our dorm and that he'd see me in ensemble the next day. Maria and I went inside, her giggling at me the entire way.

The next day, I got to ensemble early and Josh and I set up our things, chatting a bit before Max came in. After the session, we packed up and walked out together. He was just a really sweet guy and I felt very comfortable talking with him. Right before we went our separate ways, he asked if I had an instant messenger account. I tore a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote down my screen name for him.

It became a regular thing for us to meet for dinner at either of the main dining halls. Maria would often go with me and Josh introduced me to a few other music students, although the other players in our ensemble were kind of loners and never joined us. We'd joke around before and after classes and I found myself spending as much time in front of my computer chatting with him as I was in the lounge hanging out with my friends in Dorcester. We'd become really good friends and I enjoyed his company.

In October, Josh invited me to a party at a house off campus where several upperclassmen music students lived. He said he'd only know a few people there, but it should still be fun. He met me at my dorm and then we walked across campus and then across Adelphi Road. A few minutes later and we came to a house where a few students were sitting on the porch out front.

We went inside and Josh introduced me to a few people that he knew. We sat and talked for a bit before we went into the kitchen for drinks. Being a college party, there was a variety of types of alcohol available. I'd had wine a few times with mom before, when she'd give me maybe 1/5 of a glass at Thanksgiving or some such. I asked if there was anything with just a little bit of alcohol. A girl who I didn't know said she'd make me something. She got out some kind of fruit punch and filled a cup most of the way before putting a splash of vodka on top and stirring it. Josh got a beer and we went back to the living room.

The house was starting to fill up as more kids arrived. I sat right next to Josh and because the couch was so soft, I sunk in a bit and leaned up against him. We talked with some people and generally had a pretty relaxed time. At some point, I heard a guy call Josh's name and peak his head into the living room. Josh asked me to wait for him for a minute and he got up to go talk out on the porch.

My drink was empty, but I didn't want anymore alcohol. Even just the little bit I'd had was enough to make me feel just a bit tipsy and I certainly didn't want to get drunk. I walked into the kitchen in search of water and found a package of bottles sitting on the counter. I opened one and started to drink.

It happened so fast.

I felt a hand on my hip and I turned to smile at Josh, but it wasn't Josh. A really tall guy was standing right next to me. I didn't know who he was.

"Hey, I've seen you around tonight. You need something to drink?"

I tensed. A guy I didn't know had his hand on my hip and was way too close to me. I tried to step back and bumped into the counter. He moved to stay next to me, his hand staying on my hip, but sliding around just a bit towards my back. I felt trapped.

"Where you goin'?"

He stepped closer and removed the tiny bit of space I'd created. I wanted to say something, but I felt like I couldn't get any air. He leaned down towards me and I could smell alcohol.

"You wanna go upstairs?"

I said over and over in my head... no, no, no... until I finally gasped out loud, but quietly, "No!"

He didn't move away. His arm slid further around my back.

"Hey, what the hell?!" It was Josh.

The creep turned, moving himself between me and Josh, who was in the door and coming into the room. I lost sight of Josh behind the guy. I was frozen.

The guy practically growled, "This got nothin' to do with you. Out."

Josh tried to move around him, but the guy sidestepped again, keeping himself between Josh and me.

Josh's voice was louder now. "Don't touch her."

Again Josh moved and the asshole blocked him with his arm, then shoved him back. Undeterred, Josh stepped forward again. I shrieked as the guy landed a punch on Josh's face. Josh fell over and caught himself against the fridge. The creep moved on him and took another swing, wilder. Josh ducked and launched into the guy, knocking him off-balance and against the wall. There was a loud crash.

People came flooding into the kitchen.

I couldn't make out anything. I just heard shouting and someone pulled me out of the room. I was suddenly in the living room, sitting in a chair, and couldn't see anything. I heard more shouting, "Get the fuck out of here!" and a door slam shut.

"Are you okay?"

My eyes went from the noise coming from the kitchen and focused on the face of a girl in front of me.

"I... I..."

"Easy."

She held my hand and gave me a bottle of water. I took a sip and the shock started to wear off, but not completely. I could feel myself crying.

"Where's Josh?"

The girl looked behind her and waved. I could see Josh.

"Savannah! I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have left you. Are you okay? I'm so sorry."

The right side of his face was swollen and was bright red, starting to turn purple. My eyes went wide and I lifted my hand to his face. He winced and pulled back when I touched him.

I wiped my eyes. "I'm... I'm okay."

He repeated, "I'm sorry. I'm so..."

I cut him off. "No, no. Thank you."

The girl asked, "Honey, where do you live? I'll drive you home."

Josh answered her. "She lives on campus, across from Cole."

They each had one of my hands and lifted me to my feet. We walked out the front door and then I was in a car with her. She waved to Josh and he got in the back seat. As she backed out of the driveway, I turned and made eye contact with Josh.

We rode to campus in silence.

She pulled up in front of my dorm and got out to come around and open my door.

"Come on. It's okay now." She looked in the back at Josh. "Wait here, I'll be back."

I got out and she walked with her arm around me to the door of my dorm. I pulled my ID card out of my pocket and she took it and opened the door. Inside, she asked me what floor I lived on and we went to the elevator. At my door, I fumbled with my keys and the lock for a second before opening it. Maria wasn't there. It was Saturday, so she was probably in the main lounge downstairs.

"You're okay now. You're safe here."

I laid down on my bed and she sat in my chair. A few minutes later, Maria came in.

"Hey, what's going on?"

The girl stood up and asked Maria out into the hall. I could hear her telling Maria what happened. Halfway through, Maria came rushing into the room and kneeled by my bed and asked if I was okay. She pulled my hair back from my face and seemed to be checking me for injuries. When she was satisfied, she got the rest of the story from the girl and thanked her for bringing me home before saying goodbye and closing the door.

Maria came back to me and helped me climb under my blankets. She laid down next to me and and wrapped her arm around me. I fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up before Maria and slipped out of bed. I grabbed my shower basket and towel and went to the bathroom. After showering and cleaning up, I went back to our room and sat down at my computer. I had multiple messages from Josh apologizing for leaving me alone and for even taking me there to begin with. I typed in that it wasn't his fault and I thanked him for finding me when he did. I asked if he would meet Maria and I for breakfast.