All Comments on 'Mine & Yours Pt. 02'

by metalkhan

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This is some good shit💯 lol I'm rooting for dante and cara but im also rooting for dante and tori.

Jdavis77Jdavis77over 3 years ago
Ok

Damn a great chapter from beginning to end keep this going feel for both brother and sister and even Tori she needs someone to lean on like I said keep this going

QuirinusQuirinusover 3 years ago
There's a better solution.

The first lesson to being a good liar is to recognise when a lie would be worse to tell than the truth. I am afraid Caroline missed that lesson, because the lie that she told Angie was a fairly textbook case of a lie being worse than the truth. It deflects all blame from Cara, of course, but it's also highly implausible. Sooner or later it will occur to Angie to wonder, 'Wait a minute; why were you suddenly so happy the day after you were attacked? You'd been with (and been sleeping with) Shane for weeks prior, so that can't be what made you so happy, and you'd just been assaulted'! There's also the distinct risk that, despite Cara swearing her to secrecy, Angie might decide to tell Shane or his father anyway, thinking it's for Cara's own good (and that of other women who might encounter that officer in future). And even if Angie doesn't tell Shane, what will Cara say if he notices the mark on his own? If she uses the same story, I don't think there's any way in Hell she can stop him from telling his father and her lie being exposed, but if she uses a different one, it risks Shane and Angie comparing notes and exposing the lie all the same.

All the same, I do understand why she would refuse to tell the truth; while I am tempted to say that if Angie and Cara were truly friends, the worst Angie would do is cut her off without exposing her socially or legally, I am also sceptical whether anyone is a true friend in secondary school. But this is where one of the more advanced lessons in effective deception comes in: bury the bodies underneath your drug stash. If a lie (or, in this case, a half-truth) incriminates the liar, it becomes much more believable, even if the truth would be even worse. Letting Angie run with the conclusion to which she initially came, that Cara had cheated on Shane with some unknown individual would be infinitely more believable (seeing that it is true, if only a half-truth) without bearing the costs of revealing the full truth. She can say, without speaking a single word that is untrue, 'I didn't have sex with anyone besides Shane. I really didn't! But I wanted to...I wanted to so much! And it would break Shane if he found out, and I need to break up with him, and can you help me figure out how best to do that'? This still leaves her with the problem that Angie will inevitably ask who it was with whom Cara almost slept, but better to tell this half-truth than an obvious lie.

But she need do neither. By adding a less falsifiable lie to the half-truth Angie had already discovered, she can solve most of her problems relatively quickly; namely, if she claims that the person who gave her the mark was another woman. Compared to most other kinds of cheater, our society tends to have an easier time forgiving persons who, being gay, cheat on opposite-sex partners whom they had 'gotten with' while in denial about their own sexuality; Cara is thus able to insulate herself, at least partially, from Angie's judgement over her infidelity.

But this lie has other advantages, too; it explains why she was so much happier that day than in the previous weeks, and even why she'd been so miserable during those previous weeks: she'd been desperately trying to repress a part of herself and thus making herself miserable, and then suddenly let it out (this, too, is true, albeit not in the same sense that Angie will take it). It provides her with a plausible--and, as already mentioned, more sympathetic--reason to break up with Shane. It provides insulation for Shane's ego when she does break up with him: he was a great boyfriend, it's just the 'boy' part that was a problem. And, although the stigma attached to LGBT has gone down greatly even just in the last decade, since it is still stigmatised, it gives Cara a good reason for not telling Angie who it was: she doesn't want to pull another woman out of the closet who doesn't want to be. And the only way to falsify this lie would be to catch Cara and Dante together, in which event the lie would no longer matter.

Cara can technically still pull this off, but to give it the same air of plausibility, she will have to wait until it does occur to Angie to ask why Cara was suddenly so much happier the day after her alleged assault. She would have to say that when Angie confronted her about cheating on Shane, it made her ashamed of her sexuality again, and that is why she burst into tears and made up the story about being assaulted. Trying to sell the story several days later, especially when one must admit to having already lied on the subject, is always more difficult, of course, but if you can pull it off, it can make the deceived party even more certain that you are telling the truth.

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

Really liking this story. It’s a good’n

Rates 5/5

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

BTW l really like Tori now too.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermetalkhan@metalkhan
Hi everyone, metalkhan here. My writing is more slow burn character based romance stories that I hope everyone who reads will enjoy. My current project on this site is Mine & Yours and I am very invested to make it great. I apologise both to the readers who liked the last c...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES