Mirror Images Ch. 01

Story Info
A trek through the empathetic sociopathic continuum.
9.6k words
4.67
2.7k
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 02/20/2024
Created 01/17/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On the face of it, Summer Forqurean was the consummate sister and friend. A person superbly suited to lead Zeta Mu Xi. To her friends and rivals both, her abilities and talents were undeniable. Having arrived at college two years previously, her luminous and genuine personality, her intelligence, her sense of style, and her natural physical beauty led to offers from all the sororities she had visited as a "rushee". She ultimately pledged with Zeta owing to its reputation and prestige. Summer frequently reflected on her good fortune in being admitted to her first choice in schools (the university sent offers to less than five percent of all applicants), in being among the highest academic performers in her class, and in being a key integral member of Zeta.

In the next year, she anticipated acceptance into med school where she planned to pursue a career in family medicine, unless her passion led her into an alternative, more specialized, subdiscipline. She had been devotedly volunteering with the community health center, which served members of the public who were in need or who lacked health insurance. She would be a positive force in the world and was pleased to already be making a difference. Summer's accomplishments weren't surprising or a matter of chance. Her good fortune cascaded from her innate ability and her strong work ethic rather than luck, although a bit of luck always greases the skids. Therefore it was ultimately not surprising that she was the overwhelming choice for Zeta president in her junior year.

"Congratulations Summer, we knew it would be you," Camden Tallis exuded to her friend after the results were tallied.

"Thanks Cam," Summer smiled happily. "I'm so looking forward to working with everyone. I have some innovative plans for social engagement of our Zetas with the community and hope everyone will be involved. I'm especially looking forward to helping the new pledges get on their feet."

Summer Forqurean and Camden Tallis had met during rush during fall semester as freshmen. "Or was it after we both pledged to Zeta?" they would ask each other over the course of the next two years. Neither of them could remember exactly as the time had been so chaotic. But friends they were, although Camden admitted to herself that she was often envious of her friend's natural grace and her abundant success. Those who didn't know Summer as well as she did thought her achievements sprang forth effortlessly, but Camden knew better. Her friend put in the hard work when necessary and always stepped up when tangible objectives were on the line. On top of that, Summer was unaffectedly gracious and complimentary to Camden and the rest of the Zeta sisters, even those who were superficially sociable and seemingly cordial but who harbored minimally concealed resentment of Summer and her accomplishments.

Camden Tallis came from a college town in Virginia. Like Summer Forqurean, Camden had been at the top of her high school class and had turned down offers from three other ivy league schools to attend the university. She had been unsure about what direction her path would take since she was interested in "everything" but had settled on the unusual double major of Philosophy and Microbiology. Like most of her classmates and Zeta members, Camden was strongly driven and competitive.

"You're such an excellent friend, Cam," Summer told her friend as they walked together between classes. "I love talking with you about philosophy and religion, and I'm so glad all your classes are going well. You're so beautiful. I love what you've done with your hair. I liked it long, but you look so pretty with it a bit shorter." Camden's straight blond hair had previously been almost down to her waist, but she had become weary of the amount of care that required and so had several inches trimmed off - it now fell to just midway down her back. "The cut highlights your face and eyes so well." Summer knew exactly the best way to compliment her friend, a fact not lost on Camden. Camden consistently received complements on her large brown eyes. "There's something about your eyes that make you look so innocent and gorgeous" she had been told more than once. When she looked at her reflection she would experiment by subtly changing her expression to enhance this apparitional look of ingenuousness. "Know your assets and learn how to play them up," her mother had told her. Camden remembered the advice and did her best to take it to heart.

"A group of us want to take you out to celebrate Saturday evening after we get back from the beach," Camden told her friend. "We'd like to go out to that French restaurant you like so well."

"That sounds great! Thanks for thinking of it. It's so nice of all of you. I'm so lucky to be a Zeta."

---

Brennan Bjorklund and Courtney Rothschild ran laughing and splashing through the surf back to their rented reclining beach chairs. The eight matching chairs were evenly distributed in the row parallel with the shore, a short distance from the water, partially shaded by umbrellas. The two girls attracted abundant attention with Brennan in her pink swimsuit and Courtney in a white bikini, which was rendered enticingly translucent from submersion in the ocean. The girls took for granted the admiring, lustful, envious, or unfriendly glances and stares from behind the sunglasses of their neighbors -- the nature of their neighbors' responses and thoughts depended on the age, sex, personality, and self-confidence of the viewer. Regardless, both Brennan and Courtney were adept at enjoying the attention while feigning obliviousness.

"Camden and Aubrey, come play frisbee with us," said Brennan as she reached for her Gucci sunglasses. "The water is fantastic."

Earlier that Saturday morning eight of the Zetas had driven to the beach at the foot of Cape Cod, only an hour from the U. It was a nice sunny day, perfect for relaxing and chatting after a busy week of classes and studying. Five of the eight girls comprised what Zeta considered to be the "crew" owing to their combined status, friendship, and rivalry in Zeta. That group included Brennan, Courtney, and Aubrey Hutchison in addition to Summer and Camden. The five had staked out spots adjacent to each other in the warm sand. Three sophomore Zetas, who aspired to status matching that of the crew in a year's time, reclined at the end of the row. They watched their five more established counterparts carefully but discreetly. They appeared to be looking straight ahead or pretended to be dozing as they scrutinized the crew from behind their sunglasses. They hoped to join the upper echelon of Zeta the following year and knew that it would be important to emulate the four older girls at least partially.

"Frisbee sounds fun, but maybe a bit," said Camden, smiling at Brennan, with an expression she knew engendered the ingenuous look of her large brown eyes for which she strove. "Right now I'm enjoying relaxing here with Summer and Aubrey, low key. It's been a long week. Lay down next to me and dry off in the sun."

Brennan lowered herself face down on the extended chair and smiled back at Camden as she propped herself up on her elbows. Brennan Bjorklund came to the U from New York City intending to study some yet to be determined facet in the general realm of the social sciences. However, she had found she was passionate about the theater after trying out for a campus production in her freshman year on a whim. She had subsequently found roles in several additional plays over the following two years -- so it was not surprising to those who knew her when she recently switched her major to Drama.

"Bren, are you still thinking about dropping out of school to try join the theater in New York?" Summer asked, smiling over the top of Camden at Brennan.

"Well, I'd like to but, as you might have guessed, when I told my parents that's what I was trying to manifest, they weren't thrilled with the idea. They want me to stay at the university and get a degree. They're okay with my testing the waters of the theater scene after I graduate. They're so rigid and conventional in their thinking."

"Well, I hope you stay here and finish, too," Summer responded, smiling. "I like being able to see you at the house and it's so much fun to watch you perform on campus. You're such an important part of Zeta."

"You're sweet, Summer. But really, these campus plays are so lame compared with the theater scene back in The City. I want to see if I have what it takes to make it in the real world. So I'd like to either be in The City, or maybe in LA. I'm determined to make it as a serious actor -- on stage or maybe even in film."

"You definitely have what it takes, Bren," Courtney Rothschild chimed in from the chair on the other side of Brennan. "You're so talented."

"Thanks Court. I know I can always count on you. People just don't understand how serious I am about the theater. I want to work on my craft so that I can be a versatile actor, able to play anything from Shakespeare to modern."

Courtney Rothschild and Brennan Bjorklund were best friends. They had grown up in two adjacent affluent towns on Long Island and had met each other in private school there. They had arrived at the U and had joined Zeta together. Their bond had strengthened even further during their time together at college and as part of Zeta.

It was impossible to ignore Courtney's athletic figure at the beach. She was reclining on her chair as she toweled the excess water from her dark hair. Camden thought, "It looks as though Courtney is naked in that white bikini. You can see every detail of her breasts through her suit. I bet she wore that just to attract attention. Everyone keeps looking over here at her."

"Courtney, are you still thinking about switching to pre-med?" Summer asked? "Maybe we'll end up as doctors somewhere together."

"Well I was thinking about it but think I'll likely stick with my plan to get an MBA. My dad has been pushing for me to go that direction. He's told me he would front me the money to get me started with investments in startup companies, maybe biotech or AI. It's a pretty good offer and almost guarantees that I'll be successful. Sometimes I think he has more money than he knows what to do with. But if I decided to go to med school I'm sure I'd be able to do that as well. I'll be able to handle it either way."

"Yes, you're so capable and talented, Courtney. I just know you'll succeed with whatever you decide to do."

Courtney smiled over at Summer through her Ray Bans without further response.

"Is this for real?" Courtney thought to herself. "It's hard for me to believe anyone can really be so sweet and nice. She has always seemed to be ever since I met her. But nobody's like that. I know she's trying to flaunt herself, wearing that green bikini. She's right though, I set a goal I'll attain what I want."

---

Sarah Bowman, the adult advisor to Zeta, had herself been a member of the sorority a little more than a decade earlier. Sarah was an administrator on campus so, for the current members of Zeta, she served as a friend, liaison, and conduit with the PanHellenic Council, which oversaw all the sororities on campus. The girls sometimes came to her with their problems. She had been invited to the award dinner to introduce the new Zeta officers, including Summer.

At dinner that evening, Summer was at her polished best when she was asked to make a few remarks about Zeta from the head of the table. "Thank you all so much for helping me celebrate. It will be a privilege to serve as Zeta's president for the next year. I'm hoping that we'll all be able to work together to make Zeta the best possible experience for all of us including the new freshmen who just pledged. I want this to be a team effort and I'd really like to hear all your ideas. Please don't be shy about coming forward with suggestions." Summer's shoulder length brown hair swung gently as she enthusiastically presented her prepared talk. Her bright green eyes sparkled with excitement.

As might be expected, envy, being intrinsic to human nature, presented itself at Summer's dinner celebration just as it would anywhere a sufficiently large cohort of people congregate.

"I still think you should have won," Brennan whispered to her friend Courtney.

"Yes, you would have been good," chimed in Aubrey. The three girls were seated midway down the long table. "Summer should be fine as well though."

"That's okay. I'm disappointed but it is what it is. At least I came in second place. Yes, I'm sure Summer will do a fine job."

"Summer gets way too much attention," Brennan frowned.

"Um.., you think?" Courtney replied sarcastically.

"I know she's smart and she has the look but so do the two of you," Brennan continued. So do I for that matter. So do most of the girls in Zeta."

The Zeta presidency was more a position requiring organization of social events rather than serving as a perch of actual power. At its core, it was a popularity contest. However, in many ways, this truth rendered the sting of defeat rawer and more painful for Courtney.

Pursuit of the sorority's presidency by Summer had only been her second sojourn into pseudo-political office. In her senior year of high school in the Vermont town where she was raised, she had been recruited as class president. She had won the election but decided to defer to her friend Aiden who had also been a candidate. She knew Aiden would be good as class president. Both were at the top of their high school class, and they were friends. In turn, Aiden suggested to the principle and other administrators that Summer should give the commencement speech at graduation after the two of them declared co-valedictorians.

While walking back to Zeta house later that evening Summer and Camden strode along together. Courtney, Brennan, and a few other girls were a short distance ahead but out of earshot.

"Courtney and Brennan are so beautiful," Summer said. "Courtney has a such a nice vibe, and she's so attractive. No wonder so many guys are interested in her. It's not just the way she looks, she's also just such a nice person. And Brennan is so sophisticated, elegant, and talented. I love her wavy blond hair. She's carries herself so well and is so much fun to talk to."

"You're not serious, are you?" Camden asked incredulously. "Yes, Courtney is alluring. Actually the two of you resemble each other, though she doesn't have your amazing green eyes. But nice? She can be but you obviously don't know her as well as I do. Also she really knows how to play the guys. She's a master at that."

"Really? I wouldn't have guessed that."

"And Brennan is worse. She pretends to like and respect other women, but she is devious. She's always scheming. I've learned to be careful around her."

"This is truly surprising to hear Cam. Honestly I have trouble believing it. I've not experienced anything like that from either of them. I think it's likely that you're mistaken. At least I hope so. Remember, "honestas et aequitatis." That's the Zeta way."

"Yeah, I know. Be honest and forthright. Sometimes I think you're too good a person Summer. Please be careful. Not everyone is as nice as you.

---

Like Summer, her boyfriend Ethan, who she had met in her immunology course in her sophomore year, aspired to be a doctor. Since both Summer and Ethan were biology majors and part of the undergraduate pre-med program, they shared several courses. Studying together, they had become close as friends.

Their relationship had turned romantic unexpectedly. Or unexpectedly to Summer but not to Ethan. Summer often reflected on the details of her epiphany as she was falling asleep, or on the rare occasions where she daydreamed. She had been so surprised both by the suddenness and the intensity of discovery. She had several boyfriends previously but none of them had been serious.

The two of them had been studying together on Ethan's bed in his room at the off-campus apartment he shared with two of his friends. There was an exam in two days' time, and they were prompting each other on facets of the upcoming test material.

"Describe the two main branches of the adaptive immune response."

"Cell-mediated immunity involves the action of T cells to recognize and attack infected cells or foreign invaders, whereas in humoral immunity B cells make antibodies that target and neutralize pathogens."

"What is the difference between a Th1 and Th2 response?"

"In a Th1 response, T helper cells release cytokines that stimulate macrophages and enhance the activity of cytotoxic T cells. Th2 cells release cytokines that stimulate B cells to produce antibodies and recruit eosinophils. However, there's significant crosstalk between the two responses so it's usually simplistic to think of a single exclusive type of response."

Summer was considering the next question. As she was reaching across the bed to her laptop, Ethan took her hand. As she looked questioningly into his eyes, he said, "You have the most amazing green eyes, Summer. I have to confess something. I've been thinking about you nonstop since I've met you. And I'm embarrassed to admit, some of my thoughts about you aren't very platonic or wholesome."

"Of course that's it," Summer thought to herself. Summer was surprised, and she was also upset. Not upset by what Ethan had told her. Instead she was disturbed because she hadn't been willing to admit to herself that she harbored similar feelings about Ethan. She had found herself distracted in his presence and had become irritated at her friend as she had become increasingly unable to concentrate well when they studied together. Summer took great pride in knowing herself and so was therefore dismayed for not recognizing something about herself that should have been so obvious to her.

When Ethan continued to look into her eyes with his bright blue eyes, she started, "Ethan..."

But then he leaned over and kissed her triggering a stream of emotion and desire. He gently caressed her left breast with his right hand as they continued to kiss, now more intimately with their tongues first tentatively exploring, then steadily ascending in a crescendo of candid abandon.

Summer was practiced at deftly parrying the efforts of past boyfriends, but she acknowledged to herself that this was what she wanted with Ethan. It therefore felt simultaneously natural, and novel, as he slipped his hand under the bottom of her shirt, lifting it slightly to push her bra aside to cup her naked breast.

Ethan elicited a renewed torrent of sensations in Summer as he placed his other hand on top of her bare thigh, retaining contact with her smooth skin as his hand gradually ascended beneath her skirt. She slightly spread her legs as his hand come to rest in her most private place.

Summer placed both her hands on Ethan's chest as they continued to kiss for several minutes. Slowly she lowered her left hand down from Ethan's chest and over his pants. She quickly withdrew her hand as she felt his erection but then, with her hand trembling, she let it return to gently trace the length with her fingertips. As she felt Ethan become even more rigid she was careful to leave her hand in place.

With her skirt now hiked above her hips, Ethan had cautiously pushed Summer's panties to one side and was running a middle finger along the length of Summer's vulva, which was wet with copious cervical fluid that had issued from within from to the prolonged stimulation and their mutual anticipation. Finally, he pressed his finger through her opening to the wet warm interior as Summer widened her eyes.

"Summer, are you okay with this?"

"Yes."

"I've been dreaming about seeing you naked. I'd like to take off your clothes."

Summer blushed. "Alright."

As they rose to stand at the side of the bed, Ethan was already removing Summer's shirt. Standing, she then reached behind her, unclasped her white bra, and let it fall to the floor. Ethan touched the tips of her pink nipples with his fingertips causing her nipples to lengthen and harden as they strained forward.