Mistake of a Lifetime

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kimber flinched slightly and looked up at her in surprise. He'd been worrying that she was offended by his desire to have her marks on him, so her gentle tone asking something completely unrelated surprised him. He tucked his shirt in before answering, noting how her eyes watched his every movement. "I've got some stuff, but it depends on how deep they're running."

Those emerald orbs unnerved him with a look, then she nodded and gestured towards him. "Come here." She disappeared into the closet and as he followed he heard a near-silent click, then the smooth rolling of a door. He poked his head into the spacious room and his jaw dropped in shock.

"You have got to be kidding me."

She grinned at his incredulous statement and stepped aside as he slowly, reverently padded inside her armory. Racks of guns, rifles, carbines and more lined two walls, with deep drawers underneath. The third wall held racks of swords, knives and other bladed weapons, with several glass display cases holding items he knew were very old and priceless. In the middle was an island with more drawers built under it, and as he entered the room he eyed the equipment available with excitement.

"Rachel, why do you have all of this?"

She grinned, leaning against the doorway. "I like it. It's useful, even if I don't really need it, and it's fun." She tipped her head at the Barrett .50cal rifle in a corner. "That one will crumble buildings, and that's something I can't necessarily do."

Kimber turned to it, then something else caught his eye and he swiftly moved to the rack. He spun back to her, his face eager. "Can I?"

"Be my guest. The armory is open to you, whatever gun you want. I can replace it all, and the serial numbers are mostly filed down. There's body armor in one of the drawers, too."

He was listening, but only with half of his attention. The other half was focused on the pair of 1911s he lifted from the rack, glowing darkly in a matte black finish with compensators and other neat tricks. They were balanced in his hands and fit comfortably, as if they were made for him. Rachel saw the admiration shining in his eyes and smiled as she leaned over the island.

"I had those made a couple years ago. No real reason. You can have them."

He flicked shocked, uncertain eyes to hers. "Really?"

She smiled. "Really. Like I said, help yourself. I'll leave you to equipping. Me personally, I like to keep it light." She pulled out a drawer in front of her and palmed a handful of small throwing knives and a couple of sheaths. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

He stared after her as she left, his excitement warring with confusion and he was torn between chasing after her and demanding answers, and stocking up. It wasn't every day that he had access to an armory such as this, and in his line of work he'd do well to take advantage of the opportunity. Still, he limited himself to the pistols, a vest and a tiny selection of other items. He wasn't greedy, and certainly wasn't going to be so now.

It was sunset before Rachel returned upstairs, and Kimber was just slipping a shirt over his bulletproof vest. He'd already strapped holsters and more to various points of his body, and when he heard her footfalls he turned.

"As soon as I get ready, we'll head out, Kimber." Her voice was quiet and he nodded.

"I figured."

The lines were back in his face and an icy lethality glimmered in his eyes and she knew he was ready to finish this. She headed for her closet again, pulling out a couple Glock pistols for herself, then changed clothes. Sweats were comfortable, but hardly appropriate for fighting. Instead, she suited up in slim-fitting black cargo pants, a decent sports bra and tank, with a tight black tee to top it off. She was tucking the pants into a pair of boots when she realized Kimber had watched her the entire time. She looked up and was amused to see him blush.

"Sorry. I was just curious what you'd wear."

She grinned. "You were waiting for the leather pants, weren't you?"

He blushed darker and shrugged. "Kinda, yeah. Hoping, too."

She laughed softly and pulled a long, lightweight leather duster from a nearby rack. "Well, that's mainly in the movies, although I won't lie. I have worn them out on a hunt before. Tonight, I'm not feeling the need for sexy leather pants though. Functional is winning out."

He nodded and watched her equip the guns, tucking them into a leather shoulder holster before covering it all with the jacket. The tight, neat braid that she'd already pulled her hair back into gave her a slightly roguish look as she turned and headed for him. Lust warred with the killer inside, and he watched her with his heart in his eyes.

She lifted one small hand and poked his chest firmly before smiling. "Good, I'm glad you're wearing a vest. Be careful tonight. I know there's a history, and I know there's a grudge, but you will die if you get shot. Me? Not so much. So don't be a hero."

Kimber studied her face, her light tone betrayed by the serious look in her eyes. Impulsively he cupped her face with one hand, his eyes still searching hers. "Why?"

He was impressed by the bland wall that slammed shut over her gaze, and the evenness of her tone. "Why what?"

He almost smiled. "Why are you telling me to be careful?"

She almost fidgeted before responding. "Because your sister needs you, I don't want your death on my conscious, and if you live, there's a very lucrative contract waiting for you after my people get settled. So don't die."

She pushed past him and he stared after her for a moment. "Is that all?"

"What were you expecting?"

He gave in and smiled slightly. "That you didn't want to have to turn me into a vampire to keep me around."

To her credit, Rachel appeared unaffected as she paused in the doorway. "I wouldn't do that anyway. Let's go."

Kimber liked to imagine he saw something in her eyes that gave it away, but he realized it was a distraction he didn't need, so instead he grabbed his bags and chased after her. She was already in the garage, standing next to a blacked out Porsche Panamera. Her short stature meant only her head was visible above the roof and she studied him as he paused in the doorway.

"What's up?"

His eyes were wide as he took in the small but very expensive collection of cars. "These are all yours?"

She followed his eyes as they trailed over a Ferrari, another Porsche, and a couple BMWs and Mercedes too. She supposed if you hadn't ever really had money, a fleet like this would be impressive, and she nodded. "Yeah. Different car for every mood. I'm driving the Panamera because it's comfortable and fast and slightly more subtle than the M5 sitting over there while still seating more than two people."

Slowly he began the walk to the car, his eyes still roaming over the rest. Carefully, gently, he opened the rear passenger door of the Panamera and placed his bags on the carpet within easy reach. He caught Rachel's inscrutable gaze as he moved to slide inside.

"What?" He was horrified that he did something wrong, and then she smiled.

"I just appreciate the level of excessive respect you have for my stuff." Her face disappeared as she took her seat, and he made a face of confusion before getting in beside her.

"As opposed to disrespecting your stuff?"

She started the car, smiling slightly at the mighty roar and his quizzical response. "Yes. I've had other lovers, hell, business associates too, who weren't nearly as aware of their actions around my cars and my home. You don't have to be quite so careful, because if it breaks I'll fix it, but it's appreciated all the same."

He stared at her curiously before shrugged and settling himself comfortably. "So tell me about your people. What's the plan after we get Katie?"

They discussed and reviewed the evening in-depth, with Kimber offering occasional directions to the motel. As they got closer, he got quieter and more reserved, and the lines of stress and worry crept back into his face. Rachel shared a little of his concern, her own nervousness forming a lead weight in her stomach, and she pulled over around the corner from the location.

"What are you doing?" He was irritated and she shot him a glance.

"Waiting for the cue. They need to be on the tarmac before we strike, or we'll be going in at a severe disadvantage." She reached for her phone and thumbed through it for a moment, and Kimber sighed. Rachel glanced at him again before reaching over and palming his knee.

"Kimber, look at me."

Worried, angry, frosty blues met hers unwillingly and she nodded her understanding. "Trust me. I know how much you love your sister, and how this all feels so counter-productive, but for your safety and hers, we have to have patience. They'll be landing momentarily, anyway."

His face relaxed fractionally and he covered her hand with his. "Yeah, I know. I just really hope we're not too late."

She swallowed her own fear and nodded. "I know."

The cue was quickly forthcoming, and as they quietly pulled into the parking lot Rachel felt a shiver ripple down her spine. She spared a look at Kimber and his face was stony, almost unreadable, but she saw the faintest hint of apprehension in his eyes. They parked in front of the stairwell and he was the first one out, running for the room in which she was last seen.

Rachel knew before she even entered the room. The stillness, the lack of energy, all signs pointed to the worst possible news. She wanted to stop him, to prepare him for what he was about to see, but he was determined and heading for the door. Instead, she steeled herself even as Kimber shoved it open.

"Katie!"

Rachel stopped at the doorway and watched him rush to his sister's side. She was laying on the floor, facing away. Her body moved stiffly as he rolled her over, and she was a sickly, cyanotic pale color. Rachel sagged against the doorframe as Kimber began to weep.

"Oh, no. No, Katie..." Kimber was sure his heart was broken. He clutched the cold, lifeless body, gripping her chin and searching her face desperately. Inside he knew better, the cynic in him was screaming, but he was still the big brother and he still needed his baby sister to live. He felt her cheek crunch with dried saliva and realized there was still a dirty shoelace around her elbow. He didn't want to look up, but something made him, and he saw the syringe still gripped in her fingertips. He let out a wail of horror and pain and hugged Katie close.

Rachel felt a frosty wall descend upon her chest and idly she rubbed at a spot over her left breast. The ache was only mildly numbed by the knowledge that Katie had been dead for hours, most of the day even. It was the most minor of comforts and Rachel felt a crushing sense of failure and defeat. She sank down, crouching in the shadows of the door, and whispered an ancient prayer.

"You. This is your fault."

Rachel's head snapped up at Kimber's words and she stared in surprise. "What?"

He was glaring at her. "You wanted to wait. If we had snatched her out of here this morning, she'd still be alive. I told you she was going to die if we didn't save her, and you told me to trust you."

Rachel was horrified, her broken heart making self-defense difficult against his sharp, barbed words and she fumbled for a response. Not that he waited for one. She had barely opened her mouth to speak before he growled a command.

"Save her."

"Save her?"

He nodded, his eyes red with fury and hurt. "Turn her into a vampire. I'll learn to deal with it. Bring her back to me."

Shock made Rachel dumb and she stared stupidly at him. He gently laid Katie back on the ground then stormed over to her and snatched her up with a rough hand on her elbow. "Do you hear me? Save her!" He gave her a slight shake and it was all Rachel needed to snap out of her confusion.

It was mostly reflex, but also a little anger that made her lash out at him, and her fist caught him firmly across the cheek. She smelled blood and knew she'd split his face open, and he released her arm as he stumbled backwards.

"She's already cold, Kimber. She's dead, and I can't save the dead. I'm not the one who pumped her full of smack, either, so save your rage for Mauricio." She stood over him, her words flat and he looked up at her before nimbly leaping to his feet.

He was still furious, enraged at his failure and the pain of loss, but something stopped him just short of taking it out on Rachel. Instead he turned back to Katie's corpse, covering it gently with a blanket and pulling the syringe from her fingers. He squirted the remaining poison into the sink in the bathroom, and as he did he caught a glimpse of his face.

Dark purple bruising was spreading from a swollen, bloody split in the skin and he was shocked. He didn't feel a thing, hadn't realized there was blood trickling down his cheek. He winced when he prodded it, feeling the damage going all the way to the bone and idly he wondered if it was broken. She did punch me pretty hard. Rachel! He thrust his head out of the bathroom and realized she was gone from the room.

He bolted for the doorway, sagging in relief against the chipped, painted metal when he saw the Panamera still outside. Rachel wasn't inside, and as he dipped back into the shadows of the room he saw her come out of the rental office. Her eyes met his and her face was set, and she headed his way.

Shame mixed with his grief and he struggled for control. He needed to sit, stumbling for the bed, and he cupped his head in his hands. Rachel's form soon cast a shadow into the room and she waited.

"Kimber, we need to go. Our window of opportunity is closing." Her voice was firm, gentle, but devoid of the tenderness he hadn't realized he'd heard all day. He nodded, unable to lift his head to look at her.

"Rachel, I'm sorry."

Her energy changed and he continued. "I know that doesn't make it better. I shouldn't have laid hands on you, but I'm sorry." His voice caught and he stopped, a sob erupting from his throat. He clenched his jaw against more and suddenly Rachel was kneeling in front of him, her green eyes staring up at him, swimming with unshed tears.

There were no words to say, and they knew it, and instead they stood and held each other. Kimber wasn't too proud to cry openly. He didn't have any use for pride, not with his sister gone, and he vented a few months worth of frustration. Rachel held him tightly, her hands caressing his back soothingly, her own quiet sobs joining his. But they were still on a schedule, and too soon she pulled back to wipe his tears, her own face soaked.

"Kimber, we need to go. We can come back for Katie, she won't be bothered here."

Her voice was raspy and stricken and he nodded.

"She can't be bothered anymore, anyway." He knew Rachel had spoken with and probably paid the rental office for the room. A waste of cash, knowing this shithole, but he was touched and he wiped her face with his thumbs.

"Let's go."

The drive to Mauricio's compound didn't take long, which made Kimber's regained composure all that more impressive. His face was dry and set, though the cut under his eye threw off the stoic expression he was shooting for. Rachel regretted doing that much damage and she was pretty sure she cracked the bone. All the same, he handled it well, and as she shut off the car she turned to him.

"Kimber, are you with me?"

He looked at her, expressionless. "I'm here."

"Don't be a hero, watch your ass."

"Yup." His voice was flat, and she wasn't entirely sure she believed him, but it was moot. They had a task before them.

Mauricio obviously knew something was up, because he had increased security and the new men patrolled the building. Rachel crept along the wall, Kimber just behind her, then she laid a finger at her lips then motioned for him to stay. He didn't completely listen, but poked his head around the corner and watched her work.

She sprang from the shadows, wrapping her hands around one guard's head and snapping his neck before flicking one of her knives at another. It buried itself in his forehead and he fell without shooting. Despite his grief, Kimber was impressed. Rachel flashed him a glance, repeating the motion to stay, then continued through a few more guards until they were clear. She retrieved her blades then nodded at Kimber, and he swiftly, silently moved to her side.

The interior was packed with bored looking individuals, and Rachel felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. "Dammit." She was rapidly wishing she had requested a full vampire strike team for backup instead of Kimber, as talented as he was. There were a lot of guys in that room, with a lot of guns, and she was only so fast.

"How many?" Kimber's voice was nearly silent and she looked up at him curiously.

"Thirty."

Kimber cursed softly and ducked his head, running his fingers over his hair before he perked up. "Do you trust me?" His eyes glowed slightly, reminding her of a mischievous little boy and she hesitated.

"Rachel, now is not the time. Do you trust me?" He pressed her and she frowned.

"No. What are you thinking?"

She hated how her answer killed the spark of light in his face and he sighed. "That's unfortunate. Go knock on the door, act stupid, then I'll charge in behind you."

She stared at him dumbly. "Are you serious?"

"Do you have a better idea? I didn't bring any grenades, and if we go in guns blazing I might turn into a hero. If you can think of a superior plan, I'm all ears."

She was irritated she couldn't, and she glowered before relenting. "All right, hold this." Quickly she shucked off her jacket, shoulder holster and tee then dipped inside her bra and pulled her breasts up and partially out. She fluffed the cleavage before slipping the holster and jacket back on, grinning at Kimber's distracted expression.

"Don't get too silly, and be careful."

His eyes sparkled slightly again and he pulled out the 1911s she'd given him. He checked the chambers before bracing himself and flashing her a predatory grin. "Yes ma'am."

Rachel heaved out of the spot with a sigh and tapped lightly at the door, feigning a cry of terror when it was snatched open.

"What do you want?" The man who answered was huge and she hugged herself protectively, pushing her cleavage up.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry to bother, but my car broke down and I saw lights here. I just need to call a friend." She piled on the innocent stupidity and the guard eyed her suspiciously, between blatant glances at her chest.

"What's wrong with your cell phone?"

Rachel forced a couple tears to her eyes. "It's dead. Please, just a quick phone call, I'll be in and out."

He relaxed fractionally and turned, stepping aside and guiding her in. Rachel saw the majority of the men lose their boredom and gain an entirely different look and she was infuriated. Judging by their savage glances, if she had been an innocent female, she wouldn't survive the night here. Bile and rage rose up in her throat and she schooled her features carefully. Any time now, Kimber.

Kimber waited until the door was almost shut behind Rachel, then launched himself at it brutally. It swung open with a crash and a thud as the guy behind it was knocked out. The others were shocked, having been distracted by Rachel, and Kimber was able to count the faces and note locations. Suddenly, swiftly, the room erupted in gunfire.

Rachel dropped to the ground as soon as Kimber raised his pistols and ripped her own from the holsters. Muzzle flashes and deafening blasts became the world and she dropped several men before scrambling for cover to reload. The acrid stench of gunpowder filled her nostrils, as did the glorious scent of blood, death and fear, and she felt her fangs drop. Savagery filled her and she growled as she popped up, only to find an empty, hazy room.