Moon Witch Ch. 04

Story Info
Selene learns from and about her new home.
8.1k words
4.77
7.7k
10

Part 4 of the 16 part series

Updated 08/25/2023
Created 07/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sophism
sophism
128 Followers

I awake bathed in warmth. My eyes are tight and sting from the crying I did before falling asleep and my body feels sufficiently battered. I sit up, pushing off the heavy arm that's wrapped around my waist.

"Hey, wake up!" I snap at the man whose body my back had been pressed against.

"Huh?" The general blearily opens his eyes.

"We're in bed together. Did you…" I swallow, not able to complete the thought.

He groans and lays his head back down onto the pillow. "No, you'd probably have attacked me if I had tried anything. You asked me to sleep with you."

"I did not."

"I put you in bed so you didn't have to sleep on the cold ground, and then you started grabbing at me so I couldn't leave." He pushes up onto his elbows as I scoot away from him, clutching the blanket close to me. It reveals a topless man. I look away quickly, but not before the rather enticing image of his muscular chest is burned into my memory.

"I don't believe you." Though on the inside, I know it's probably true. Era always complains that I move towards whatever source of heat there is in the bed, that I push her to the very edge of the bed. And as a heavy sleeper, it's not new that I don't remember what had really happened.

"Don't believe me if you want." The general stands up and rifles a hand through his hair, a crease on his cheek.

The anger from last night comes rushing back to me. I also feel flushed remembering his kiss and look away.

"We're going to be leaving today," the general offers, as if he can tell what I'm thinking and would like to help distract me.

"Yes."

"I'll have Asa help you with getting ready for the day. I have some things to take care of." He leaves me alone for a few moments and returns with the white-robed woman. Asa.

She shows me how to clean my teeth using a paste and my finger, so different from the boar-hair toothbrushes we use at home. She tries to show me how to do up the underskirt the right way, but I just shake my head. I don't want to learn it.

She also offers me a veil of some sorts, pinning it to my hair which she does up elaborately with braids and twists and pins. "For your skin," she nods, looking satisfied with her work. "The sun is hot."

"Thank you," I say softly. She offers me a small mirror to look at myself, and I see how similar I look to these foreign women save the sizing issues. You can barely see that I'm a touch too pale under the veil, but from the outside I might just blend in. My hair has been plaited all around my head, making a top-heavy shape that is unfamiliar on me, but similar to what Asa wears now.

"Pretty." She pats my hand. Although overall Asa seems quite stern, she also has a calmness that seeps into me as she tenderly does my hair.

I smile gratefully at her, and she begins to tell me in her broken language that we'll be leaving soon. "Back to the king's home. Big big place, we all live there."

I realize she's talking about the palace. "Are there many people?" I ask absentmindedly, plucking at a loose thread of my sleeve.

"Yes, yes. Many people like me. You too will be there." I sigh as I'm reminded once again of my fate.

The rest of the day passes in a blur as the camp sets off. The tents seem to disappear by magic and more people than I thought were present all hopped onto horses or caravans. I cast a wistful look towards the direction I'd entered the camp just yesterday as I'm taken to King Azrath.

It's as if he's completely ignoring what happened in his tent. He puts an arm around my shoulder and I shrink away from him, wishing he wouldn't touch me.

"Ready to go, Selene? We'll be off soon." I don't deign to answer him, and he gives a loud laugh as if he finds my silence amusing. "You can ride with me."

And so I'm pulled onto his horse with him, for the third time in the past few days nestled between some stranger's arms atop a hulking animal. I'm relieved that he is much less handsy than Reno was, though sometimes I feel his hand brush against my breast. Each time I'm reminded of the rough treatment of my chest yesterday, which makes my stomach clench at the memory of being pinned under his sinewy figure.

I can't help but look back at the direction that Erik and I arrived from yesterday wistfully as the party sets off. Knowing that Azrath would come after me and kill me should I run - an insult to his sovereignty, perhaps - makes me shiver despite the warmth of his body close to me.

We travel for days, the dusty and sun-bleached environment transitioning into a little more greenery. First some bushes, then a few trees. I can barely believe my eyes when I see what must be their city. Nestled in between tall cliffs, the area is dotted with tall trees, pale and dry pillars that are so different than what Era and my home was surrounded with. But the city - the buildings - they're beautiful, in shades of creams and browns and reds that have all been bleached from the sun. On the far side of the city there's what looks to be a desert-forest or something of the sort. In the center of it all, for their city seems quite small compared to the city of my kingdom, I can see what must be the palace.

As we pass through the city, what citizens that are outside offer bows to the king. It's nothing like the intense treatment that our King Rosland demands, with horns announcing his royal presence so his people must come out to admire the precession. Here, it seems so much less… Pompous.

The closer we draw near to the palace at the center of the city, the more I am overtaken by a feeling of awe. Something about this place gives me the same feeling that the moon-glow meadow did. I feel invigorated.

The palace itself is surrounded with green things that seem to thrive under the sun that beats down relentlessly on my head. As we ride into the palace, I can see beautiful white flowers peeking out between glossy dark leaves. The vines are twisted around a large wooden and angular framework, which surrounds the border of the palace grounds. The ground is paved, studded with large and smooth stones. They are like gemstones, sparkling in the most beautiful and rich, dark colors. The light catches each one in a way that they glint so alluringly to me.

"Welcome to Gra'marah." I don't have to look at Azrath's face to know he's grinning at my awe. "I think it's safe to say you appreciate her beauty."

We dismount at the stables and people and their things seem to melt away. The king thrusts me by the shoulders to Erik, who eyes me warily. "Take her to Hes. She will be trained so that she learns what she is expected to do. Ensure that she is taken care of."

So it was with those words I was handed over to Erik without any say, who leads me now down a corridor. The interior of these buildings are beautiful, decorated similarly to Azrath's tent. I'm grateful for the veil that covers my face so I can admire the interiors without having to meet the eyes of any passing servants of the palace. I wonder how they would react if they were to see this foreigner in their midst, wearing a green gown of theirs as an imposter.

"We'll be coming up to the entrance soon," says Erik softly. "My vow still stands, Miss Selene."

I don't respond. Our fight plays out in my head, the kiss especially - but underneath it all is the distrust I have for this man. I get the feeling that he's committed to helping me, with a renewed vigor in his eyes since the morn. At heart, though, I cannot afford to believe that this will be someone who will save me.

"I'm committed to helping you in what you need. I know you're probably angry, but… If you need anything from me at all…" We've reached an open doorway by this point, but I continue staring at the ground so as to not make eye contact with this man. He sighs. "Just let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

And so he takes us into a large room with a table in the center. It's a busy room, with many objects littered in every corner and on every wall. Sitting on the ground in a corner is a man with salt and pepper hair. He is lighter than the average Gra'marahian, at least from what I saw at the king's camp, and turns to us with a delighted expression. He and the general begin to speak in their language. From my guess, they greet each other.

The two turn to me, and who I assume is Hes claps a hand on my shoulder. He has a heavier accent than the general and King Azrath, but seems to do much better with my language than Asa and the other white-robes. "Our new healer! I will teach you all that I can. It is good that you are here, I am not the man I used to be."

"You know that is not true, Hes." Erik has a genuine smile that lights up his handsome features. "You are as energetic as ever."

"Alas, but the sickness. My time is coming." The man grabs me by the shoulders and looks into my eyes with sincerity. I squirm a little at the close contact, but his expression and words warm me, making me forget my discomfort. "I'm happy to pass on what I know to such a beautiful and sharp young woman. You will do great things, I know it."

"Master Hes has always had a thing for premonitions. Perhaps you are a witch, Hes?" The general gives a dry smile while Hes laughs. I think the grim general means to joke, hardly familiar.

"Do you mean I am perhaps one with some connection to magic? I cannot say. But the feelings of certainty do come and go many times. I feel this with you, Lady."

I look down at his usage of the title. "I am hardly a lady, Master Hes. Please call me Selene."

"And call me Hes," the man smiles at me. I give him a tentative smile. He seems to genuinely be excited about working with me.

"Call me Eryx," the general interjects with a completely straight face. Hes roars with laughter. I glance at the general, unable to believe how much more I've seen this man crack jokes with Hes than I've seen at all in the past few days.

"Eryx, our most handsome boy." Hes reaches up and ruffles the general's hair, which is ridiculous as the older portly man has to stand on his toes to do so. The general smiles and clasps Hes's bicep.

"Miss Selene has been placed in my charge, so I will be back to collect her at the end of the day. I hope there will be enough to keep the two of you occupied until then?"

Was that ever an understatement. By the end of the day, Hes has led me all over the grounds in a tour of buildings and people and who knows what else. We've gone over what I know, during which I am careful to hide any signs of magic. He also shows me only a fraction of ingredients I've never seen before, talking me through when and how to use them. As he speaks, he becomes much more animated while I become more enthralled. I take in all this new knowledge with wide eyes, alive at the thought of trying to use these things for the first time.

In both of our excitement, we've hardly sat all day, have spent half of it in the hot sun, and eaten barely anything except for a couple crackers that feel and taste like shards of dried clay. I feel exhausted. I didn't feel like talking all day, but the man has been talkative and warm enough to cover that void for both of us. I let him pull another reluctant smile from my lips as he teases me.

Between learning about the palace and Hes's role within it and laughing with him, I nearly forget about my unfortunate circumstances. It isn't until Erik comes back to fetch me that reality comes crashing back down on me, though I'm prepared to meet it with an invigorated attitude.

"You've eaten?" He greets us at the doorway. Hes and I share a meaningful look.

"Yes," Hes says.

"No," I say at the same time.

Hes bursts out laughing while Erik raises his eyebrows. I feel my lips twist into a smirk. "We have been caught! I will eat with my darling, so please, take Selene and feed her something. To replace me one day you must look more like me." He pats his rotund belly and a snort escapes me, to which I clap my hand over my mouth.

"Please, Hes," I laugh. Erik leads me out as I wave a goodbye to the king's healer.

"One day, you will wish it! I am of the best health!" Hes calls out to our retreating backs.

"You like him." The mood between myself and the general feels considerably lighter than it was this morning thanks to Hes, and Erik takes advantage of it by initiating conversation.

"He feels like my papa did," I admit. "He seems like a wonderful man."

Erik seems relieved I'm not treating him coldly and talks as we continue walking. "He is. Hes pretty much raised me, actually. He was originally a merchant from the East. The king before Azrath hired him on as a healer. Turns out that doing business with all those ingredients and all those healers for a long time will impart some knowledge. He knew what to do with all of those ingredients, which was more than enough for us. He was the one who began to teach me the language of your people before my father's sister sent me to live with my mother's relatives for a few years. That's where I really picked it up. Of course, I don't use it all too much in Gra'marah, but it seems that there's now a use for it here at home."

"I thought you knew my language because you're a general." I initially didn't think it to be so odd that he could converse so easily with me, but after being around the king's camp for some time and faced with my inability to communicate with so many, I'd grown to appreciate the general's ease of command over Sorrean.

"No, most of our men only know a few words of your language. Even most of our nobles barely know any."

"What about Asa?" We have reached the front of an elaborately decorated building.

"Well, my half sister begged me to teach her some. Who am I to deny her? Turns out she has a talent for languages, anyways." Did he just say half sister? I doubt he wants me to ask about it, so I stay quite as Erik pushes past thick wooden doors.

"Oh!" It smells absolutely delicious, the rich and spiced aroma filling my senses. My stomach gives a loud growl and I clutch at it, hoping no one else has heard.

"Someone's hungry," the general comments and nudges me towards a couple older women who are serving food. A bowl of grains is topped with what looks like a dark red stew. I can see chunks of vegetables and protein mixed into it. The smell is absolutely intoxicating, and my stomach growls once again.

"Our soldiers may be back from training soon. Would you like to move somewhere else, or would you want to stay and eat here?" There are rows of low tables all across the floor, surrounded with cushions to sit on. Many people must come here to eat.

"I would rather not be here," I say truthfully, if a little distractedly. I've already scoped out where in the bowl I want to take my first bite from. There's a chunk of meat and a nice selection of vegetables in the corner. My mouth waters.

"We are not too far from my lodging if you're okay with it."

I realize too late what he's said. I don't know if I want to be alone with the general again, not after last night. Especially not after he felt entitled to devour my lips like that… I'm distracted by the memory of his kissing me. My lower stomach burns and I feel my cheeks reddening.

I look up at the general, who is striding forward with purpose. I look down again at the ground as I remember our argument and his blindness to right and wrong. But his kissing me - did he do it to mess with me? Did he just want to intimidate me with his power and dominance over me or something?

"Miss Selene?" I'm broken out of my thoughts at the general's words, realizing I've been led to a small building.

"Yes?" I blink.

"I said we're here."

"Oh. Sorry," I mumble and allow the general to open the door for me.

If this is the general's home, it certainly is reminiscent of what I saw in his tent at the camp. Even the composition of the room is generally the same, with a corner of the room dedicated to his militant regalia.

"Go ahead and take a seat, Miss Selene." I sit where he indicates and we eat in silence. My thoughts wander as they always do to Era. I wonder if she's discovered the moon-glow by now. She may have assumed that I'd been done away with by one of those ghastly forest creatures, or that I was found and kidnapped by some mountain men. I grimly glance at Erik. Evil and handsome desert men, more like.

He's finished off his double portion with ease, while I've barely made a dent in my food, delicious as it is. Thinking of Era fills me with heartache, so I decide to learn more about what I'm up against. I ask the general to tell me about Gra'marah. "I've never even heard of your people. I know there are the lands to the east, vast kingdoms with unending wealth like Lox and Benam. But Gra'marah?"

"We were a nomadic people for quite some time," says Erik after some time. "Historically, we were also very rich in magic. Many of our healers offered their services for neighboring tribes. Similar practices went for other types of magic. From helping clients settle altercations to reaching, ah, success in the bedroom, our witches and our people became known for being a helpful and reliable force in these deserts.

"The tribe was forced to settle with the massacre. We were attacked by another tribe, known for its brutality. Half of our men were murdered, while many of our women and children were carried off as spoils of war. Of course, most of our witches who knew the art of fighting with magic had been casualties of that battle. So we settled. That was the beginning of us focusing on offensive and defensive gestures. We grew our army. For a while, equilibrium was achieved. We still enjoyed the peace and security of having talented healers walk among our people."

"But then the die out," I whisper. Shivers drive through me even at the thought.

"Right," says the general. "When anti-witch sentiment rose in Sorreas and the neighboring areas, less witches were born. It wasn't until we heard of the news of what your people's crown was doing that we understood why we were losing our own magic. Generations later, here we are."

"The pendulum swung too far and now you're in need of healers," I nod.

"Our people thrive on magic. I've heard from the few witches that are left today that this place exudes magic. I believe that's why we still see magic popping up in unlikely bloodlines every so often. It's fighting to still be a part of our kingdom." The feeling I got when we approached the palace seemed to be right, then. "If not magic, though, we at least need healing. During a time of war like now, that can lead to the death of my people. That's why we can't afford to lose you, Miss Selene."

I catch a hint of sadness in the general. "Your people have been through a lot. But - I won't be staying, general. There's a way to provide for your people, and as far as I'm concerned, going off and kidnapping to meet your needs, whether they're sexual or magical, is not the right way."

"I get that." The general's response is quick, his thick brows pushed together. "I'm not asking you to stay. I just mean to explain us. If you did choose to stay, though…"

"I will learn what I can." I choose my words carefully. "Hes is certainly very knowledgeable. I get that your people may value what I can do, but I have been - my body has been used by half of the people I've met so far. I haven't been treated right at all. And I still have my sister to get back to."

"I thought it might be worth a try," he says lightly.

"I would really rather you not try at all, general," I say sadly. "Truth be told, it makes me nearly petrified with anger thinking of how I have been treated. You are part of it all. I hate it here and will leave as soon as the opportunity presents itself."

He gives a terse nod at the emotion simmering under my sentences. Neither of us say much for a while and my heavy words settle between us. The only sound is the sound of my slow chewing.

sophism
sophism
128 Followers