Moon Witch Ch. 14

Story Info
Being selfish isn't always bad.
5.8k words
4.89
3.8k
7
0

Part 14 of the 16 part series

Updated 08/25/2023
Created 07/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sophism
sophism
128 Followers

For the next few days, it's as if I'm taking care of a zombie. Selene doesn't speak much, really only opening her mouth to answer the questions I have or to do whatever is absolutely necessary. She shows me how to use the traps and where her favorite spots to forage are. There aren't really any tools here for us to cook, so we hang up over the fireplace one of the cauldrons she uses for her potions and medicines and make ourselves some stews.

When we're not doing the labor intensive work to find and prepare ourselves food, we've started fixing up the workshop. It wasn't exactly built for an extended stay, so we start insulating the walls and repairing what needs it. Although Selene is still dispirited, I can tell she's making an effort to at least make polite conversation. Maybe it's just because she feels guilty that I'm the one that's conscious of our next moves and what we spend our time doing.

Truth be told, there's something inside me that feels happy about what we're doing right now. I don't mind being the one to take care of her like this. I just wish I could bear some of the burden that she wears on her shoulders.

There is something about the situation, though, that reminds me of the way that children play. When we look at them as adults, it seems so naïve and innocent when they play house with each other, taking on the roles that they see their parents take on but without all of the conflict and hardship that we deal with.

I look at Selene now, absentmindedly humming while cracking and then working open the sweetnuts we gathered and then roasted. That's what it feels like. We're playing house, refusing to face the difficulties of the real world. Focusing on all of the wrong things for the sake of our sanity.

"It's hot." Selene says by way of warning, handing me a sweetnut she peeled.

"Thanks." I pop it into my mouth, savoring its mild taste.

"Let's go back tomorrow morning."

"What, to Gra'marah? Already?"

Selene shakes her head. "Back to home. I... I've been thinking, but she's still there. I think that if I absorb her life energy then it might be a bit better. Restore balance, maybe."

"Is that something you can do?" Really, I want to ask her if she's sure she wants to go back at all. The painful memory of her curled up and sobbing on the floor surfaces.

"It's weird. Whenever I'm the one to prepare the rabbits or squirrels we catch, I feel warmth travel from my hands, up my arms and to my chest." She places a hand lightly on her chest, over her heart. "I can tell that it's life magic entering me. It was the opposite when I saved you. Just warmth, life, flowing out from my fingers and then into you. And... The more I learn about what life magic feels like, the more strongly I feel I need to go back. A witch's intuition, if you will."

"Whatever you think is best." I grab one of the roasted sweetnuts, trying to copy - with great difficulty - what Selene is doing to work it open. "So, life magic. Didn't you say what was in the Queen Enchantress's book was dark magic? Is that the same thing?"

"Note quite." She tells me more about what life magic is and what it's supposed to be. "I don't think that it's dark magic per se, but something about it feels pretty unnerving. Queen Re'aila, she talked about how easy it was just to rip someone's life from them." Selene looks down at her hands now. "I guess I have that power in me now."

"It's not like just having it makes you evil," I say, trying to catch her eye. The lackluster way that she's talking makes me feel that she might be thinking that.

"Right. I can't help but wonder, though. How painful it is for that to happen to you. Maybe once we return to Gra'marah and I'm faced with Azrath again, I'll feel what it's like to get revenge, cause someone that pain." Her tone is light in contrast to her dark words.

"Is that what you want? To cause him pain?"

"Yes." After a while, she sighs. "No. I guess in a way I should want it. I'm the one that has to live with the trauma and the memory of his hands all over me, and he gets to walk away and rule his country, right? And even though I feel Re'aila's anger within me, I still... I'm still Selene. I'm still the same that I always was, inside. I just want to heal others and take care of those I love." Her words warble at the end. I'm sure she's thinking of her sister. "Whoever they may be."

Her words remind me of my own loss. Over the past few days, despite me trying to keep things light between us, the majority of the time there's silence between us. It's not exactly uncomfortable, but both of us are deep in thought. Since she told me about how we have to return to Gra'marah, I've had to confront some uncomfortable truths about how things have always been between Azrath and I. Memories of growing up under Hes's care dance in my memory, and, even though Awvag was always quiet around me, how he poured out affection on me in his own quaint ways. And even things that I never thought about before - of how Asa was treated when she started her service.

All things that I hadn't thought much about, and just accepted for how 'things are supposed to be.' There's a sense of dread that runs through me when I consider returning back to Gra'marah.

I feel like when I learned about the execution, something within me broke. All the trust that I had in Azrath, the faith I had in the work I was doing as one of his generals, it all fell apart. Coupled with seeing how Selene was abused and battered at the Discipline, I took what I saw as an out and ran with it, quite literally, in order to escape to Sorrea and start a new life. I'd never really been one to run away from problems, but even now the desire I have to start anew and leave behind everything I'd built for myself for years feels insurmountable.

"It just sucks that sometimes I can't tell if I'm still the same Selene I was before."

"I'm glad for the ways in which you haven't changed." I say. It's true. When I think about what she was like the first night I saw her, in all her alluring innocence and goodhearted nature, I feel another ache of guilt for my role in her corruption.

"And you don't think you've changed?" Selene leans back, now, brushing the crumbs of sweetnut shells off of her lap.

"A lot of things have changed. I've changed a lot. When we first met, I would never have dreamt of leaving Gra'marah or of leaving Azrath's side."

"I know," she says quietly. "I hated to see it."

"Yeah. It took a lot of suffering from the people around me for me to see reality." I nod, thinking of some of our early discussions. My thoughts shift towards her words from a few days ago and I rub a hand across my jaw, agitated. "I... I really am sorry, Selene. I don't like feeling like you were a pawn in my personal growth. It took way too long for me to be a decent man, despite you calling me out on it from the beginning."

She picks up another sweetnut, slowly turning it over in her hands. We hadn't talked about what she said to me a few days ago when she broke down in front of me. "I meant what I said, Eryx. I'm as confused as you are. I have all the feelings. Anger, bitterness, confusion, frustration, grief... I feel like I have enough trauma to last a lifetime. But it's also really difficult for me to carry a grudge against you. So even if we have all of these feelings, I just ask that you wouldn't let your shame get in between us. Don't let me question my trust in you. We have a mission to complete, after all."

I look at her, and when she looks up to meet eyes with me I see the wisdom and maturity that she's gained in the past few weeks. It's reflected in that exhausted gaze. I don't feel deserving of her words. I know I'm not deserving of them. Yet with the guilt weighing me down, as we're staring at each other I feel my heart for her give a twinge in adoration. "Forgive my change of subject, but I think that you'd be a great queen for Gra'marah."

Unexpectedly, she laughs. "I don't like to think about it. If anything, I don't even want the throne. If someone handed it to me, I'd give it right back."

"Despite Gra'marah's shitty politics, its somewhat bloodthirsty nature, the way citizens are held as expendable, and-"

"Anything good you have to say about it?" Says Selene, a small smile on her face. I can't help the one that spreads across my face in response. It's been so long since I've seen anything but tension and grief in her features. Her smile looks good.

"Despite all of the bad things, Gra'marah isn't a bad country." I finish my sentence. "Granted, there are a lot of bad things, but there are also so many good things. There's this really pleasant and distinct smell that comes when the rainfall is about to start. Our people might be a bit crass, sure, but there's such a strong sense of loyalty that everyone has. And you know how I told you about the combat training that starts when we're children? Every spring when school ends for the year, they have competitions and contests. The whole city comes alive and a lot of shops sell trinkets or street foods that you can eat while you watch the children compete. Some citizens also organize their own groups to perform traditional dances or music. It's a whole thing. You'd really love it."

"I just don't have the connection. Maybe you should be king instead," she says lightly, biting into another sweetnut.

"I'm sure you would if you got to experience it." I feel my eyes soften when I look at her. She has her legs tucked underneath her, a blanket over her lap, and her own expression is peaceful while she's distracted by our idle conversation. She looks so good. "If we make it out alive, let me take you to the festival."

"I'm tempted to say yes just because I don't think I'll survive all of this."

"It's a yes, then?" As she looks back into my eyes, I feel my heart swelling again. "You'll give me a chance."

I'm sure she hears the seriousness in my tone, and when she notices my expression she drops her eyes. "Eryx..."

I sigh. "You're right, I'm sorry. I- My feelings for you haven't changed."

"I don't-" Selene looks agitated. "I don't want to discourage you. But... Now's not the time."

"You're right."

She looks at me as if she wants to say something, but then seems to change her mind. "Maybe we should go to sleep."

And so with some degree of awkwardness we clean things up and get settled to sleep before returning to the main house. Ever since Selene saved me and found out that Era is dead, I've been sleeping by her side. Even though she's a deep sleeper, I've noticed that she's been having fitful dreams. It wakes me up, so I hold her tightly until it passes.

Since the only furniture in her workshop is this couch and it's not very big, there's barely enough room for us to be shoulder-to-shoulder on our backs. Maybe because she feels uncomfortable being so close to me, she's been sleeping on her side, facing away from me and leaving me enough room to be on my back. We both don't mention that by morning I'm holding her anyways with my arm thrown over her slim body.

Tonight is no different than the other nights, and I'm lying on my back, one shoulder pressed into the back of the couch. Selene is lying on my other side, so close to me but not touching me. I think I hear Selene whisper something and quiet myself, listening intently just in case she just made a sound in her sleep. But no other sound comes so I breathe out slowly, stretching my legs out and trying to fall asleep.

Then I hear it again - a sniffle.

I feel frozen in place, unsure what to do. She's crying.

Should I pretend I don't hear? Am I supposed to let her have her moment of privacy? Try to comfort her? Or maybe should I move just a bit closer to her so she feels my presence on her back? Is that something a woman would find comforting? Or at the same time, maybe it would just make her think I'm being creepy, especially given the context that she's crying and trying to be quiet about it.

But then I hear a louder sniffle, and without thinking I put my arm around her upper body, just as I do when she's having one of her bad dreams. I can feel her tensing at the sudden contact, but then she relaxes and lets out a labored breath. She turns to face me, burying her head in my chest as a sob escapes her.

"Come here," I say, putting my other arm underneath her head. I let her cry in my arms like that, feeling the shaking of her shoulders against my holding her.

"Sorry," she says from my chest, her voice sounding gummy. I have to wait a long time for her to continue since she's fighting her hyperventilating. "I was just reminded of Era. I really miss her. If I could just see her one more time..."

"You don't have to be sorry for crying."

"I don't know if I can sleep anymore," she sniffs, and then wriggles out of my grasp to sit up straight. The pale light of the moon streaming through the window hits her face just now and even though she's obviously been crying, I'm also stricken by how pretty she looks.

"Do you need to take some sleep sap or something?" I think of the wide array of medicines just on the other side of where we're sitting on the couch.

She shakes her head. Some of her hair is stuck to the side of her face where her tears ran down. "It's not me being physically tired."

I raise my eyebrows at her, waiting for her to speak. She doesn't, so I prompt her, sitting up too. "Then?"

Selene looks away as she does so often. I'm sure she thinks it's a subtle enough movement, but she does it often enough so that I'm conscious of every time she does do it. "I don't know. I guess it's just everything's piled up in me."

"A lot has happened in just the past few days." I've never been the best at dealing with emotions. Not my own emotions, and certainly not those of others. Let alone a woman's emotions. Even though for the past few days I've been doing my best to deal with said emotions, I've been terrified that I'm doing something wrong and messing things up between us. I'm still terrified.

Selene gives a pronounced sigh and says, "I just wish for a while that I could think about nothing, but I feel like if I don't, I'm failing the trust and responsibility that have been placed in me by Era and Re'aila. I'm tempted to go dig a great pit to throw myself into. How do people do it? How do they live out life when there are so many things to be sad about?"

"I think most don't. Alcohol, drugs, everyone has their vices." Unwittingly I think of my own habits, and try to push them from my mind.

"Oh. Are those your... Vices?" Selene steps her feet onto the couch and hugs her arms around her knees, her very image the epitome of poignance.

"Not exactly." Now it's my turn to avoid eye contact with her.

"Sorry, that was pretty personal, wasn't it?"

I shrug. "I don't mind you asking personal things. I just don't think you want to know."

"What is that supposed to mean? I'm the one who asked in the first place."

"That's not what I meant."

"Not my fault you're being awfully vague about it," she says, a little impatiently.

"Fine, fine. I can tell you-"

"It's not even me wanting to know the answer anymore-" She says while I continue speaking.

"I sleep... With women." I see the change in her expression, how her eyes widen slightly and her lips purse in an unspoken 'oh.' But now I feel a bit flustered and continue speaking, feeling like I need to defend myself. "I slept, that is. I haven't been like that for a while. It's normal for us in Gra'marah, okay? Especially, I don't know, for our soldiers. It happens a bunch."

She nods, her hair falling past her shoulder to hide some of her face from me. "You must have had a lot of girls."

This whole conversation feels surreal and it's leaving me floundering. She seems so upset, I'm scared to speak my mind. I can't tell what version of the truth I should offer up to make her feel better. "I don't... Maybe. Sure. You could probably say that."

She keeps on speaking as if I didn't say anything. "Why, though? Why does it happen so much? And why do people have to be so open about it in Gra'marah?" I can tell she's thinking hard about it, but I have no idea what she's getting at.

"Maybe you're reading into it too much?" I immediately want to rephrase it when I see her raise her eyebrows. "Okay, just... It feels good. It's being wanted. It's a distraction from everything else. I guess, just for those moments it feels like it's just you, caught up in how things feel."

"It must be a different story for those in Gra'marah who were made to pleasure those like you," says Selene. There's bitterness in her voice.

Well, I don't have anything to say to that.

I think back to my times with Arelia and Serxe. The brunette from Kefo's camp. Countless other women that are faceless in my memories. "Perhaps. I guess I wouldn't know."

"I've always thought of Azrath and this... Incredibly Gra'marian way of thinking to be evil and immoral. No matter what you're going through, you can't just use other people and their bodies to distract yourself and feel wanted. It's so selfish." As she's speaking, half of the time it feels like she's commenting on Azrath, and the other half commenting on me.

"It doesn't feel so evil when you see it everywhere around you." I smile sardonically to keep the guilt building inside me off of my face. I hate the feeling that she has me in her head as the symbol for everything wrong with Gra'marah, and as underhanded as it may be, the only thing I can stand to do is shift the attention away from me to her. "Sometimes it's being a little selfish that's kept me from going insane. Selene, I honestly think that you wouldn't become a heinous old man like me even if you were to be selfish once in a while."

She just shakes her head, so I continue.

"I'm serious. Try being selfish. And maybe part of being selfish is, just for tonight, not brooding on all you have to do for the Queen Enchantress and your sister. Or if you want the couch to yourself, feel free to kick me off so I have to sleep on the ground. Whatever it is." I was hoping that my joke would prompt some sort of reaction, but her face is still pensive.

I don't want to draw any more attention back to myself, so I just give her the space to think about whatever it is that she's thinking about. I let my gaze wander around the room until I see her eyes swivel my way. I stare back at her.

She chews her lip, in the way I've come to recognize as a signal of her being nervous. "Can I be selfish?" She puts a hand on my ribs and the sudden intimacy of her touch makes my chest constrict.

"What do you-" I'm stopped by that hand, again, as she places on my thigh.

"If it's a vice that works..." Her whisper trails off as it her hand slowly travels up my leg. I'm speechless as it reaches its destination and softly caresses between my legs. I feel my body come to life immediately.

I push her hand away. "Selene, stop."

"Eryx," she says. Pleadingly. Looking at me with those big eyes. I feel my groin pulsate as blood rushes in. Fuck.

"Where is this coming from?" I have to grab at her hand, which is now insistently kneading where my erection is growing.

"Please," she just says. "You told me to be selfish. Just... I want to be wanted. Distract me, even just for tonight."

I feel like I'm losing control of my body as she knocks my weak resistance away, tracing the shadow of my hardness through my clothes. I groan at the temptation, my hands weakly grasping at her wrists. I don't think I can blame her pull for the lust that's surging through me now.

"You're not thinking straight." Another grunt surfaces as she traces over the head of my cock, the sensation feeling impossibly good. When she takes her hand away from me, I'm relieved. I back away from her, not wanting her to resume her seduction of me.

sophism
sophism
128 Followers
12