Moonlight Shadow Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You really think that was an organized effort to kill Laura?" asked Jack.

"One coincidence is okay. Two, is not." I replied. "We have waaaaaay too many coincidences, here."

"And we're back to keeping you local, and out of the attention of the CIA brass at Langley." said Laura. "Don, I thought about the possibility that Warspear had been sent to kill me. But I still have sources and friends, and I'm pretty sure this was one guy acting on his own."

"Take her word for it, Don." said the DepDirector. "Just let this one go. It's above all our pay grades. Put together."

I was feeling about as demoralized as I'd ever felt, definitely since the days when it looked like Westboro was winning, that I had no chance of bringing him to Justice, and my own life and reputation would be shredded beyond repair. I knew that what the DepDirector and Laura were saying was true, made sense, and they were acting based upon good reasons, if not the right reasons. But to let a murderess go...

"All right." I said, conceding. "I won't raise holy hell. I still want to beat the shit out of that gutless coward Krasney, though."

"You're not the only one." Laura said.

"I appreciate it, Don, I really do." said the DepDirector. "By the way, you're going to be busy enough as it is. Things in this State are about to get ugly, politically. Very, very ugly."

"Yes." I said, knowing what he meant. "And I'm going to be right in the middle of it."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:30pm, it became official.

District Attorney Krasney came to the Chief's office, accompanied by ADA Ted Mason, two Sheriff Deputies, and several U.S. Marshals. In the room were the Chief, me, and Cindy Ross, who was there to protect everyone else from me.

"We're giving May Cialis to the Feds." Krasney said to Chief Moynahan. "The warrant for it is being processed now. This is a heads-up to get her ready for the transfer."

"What about the mur-dur charrrrges?" asked the Chief.

"Judge Folsom has agreed to drop all charges without prejudice. so that the warrant to transfer custody can be executed." said Krasney.

"Are you going to announce that in a press conference?" I asked. "Are you going to tell the People of this County what you're doing, up front?"

"Commander," said Krasney, "this is no longer any of your business. You've done your part; I'm doing my job now. No, I'm not going to announce this publicly. And you damn well better not say anything, either."

"You don't tell my Police Officers what to doooo." said Chief Moynahan, with some anger in his voice. "Especially not that one. He'll rip your ass apart before I can stop him, just on account of your God-damn bad manners. And I'm not gagging him on this... if he goes to the Press about what you're doing, there's not a God-damn thing you can do about it."

The Chief was as pissed as I was about all this, obviously. I don't know if he'd had a meeting with anyone like I'd had with Laura and the DepDirector, but he knew we were fighting a lost cause.

"Why do you people always make it harder?" asked Krasney. "Why do you always escalate it?"

"Why do you always take the coward's way out?" I replied venomously.

"Who are you calling a coward?" Krasney snarled, then immediately realized the folly of that statement.

"I'm not one of the alpha-males in the room," said Cindy, "and neither are you, Krasney. You are a gutless coward, just as Jenna said you were." I could see it in the man's eyes: that verbal blow from the Green Crowbar stung just as bad as if a real blow from her crowbar had landed on his back.

"I've had about enough of all of your shit." said Krasney. "Fucking sanctimonious assholes."

"Get out of my office." said Moynahan. "Now. Before I cry havoc! and unleash my dogs of war upon you." Nice paraphrasing of Shakespeare, there, Chief! I thought to myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What about Pierce?" asked Cindy as she and I sat in my office, both of us feeling very dejected and depressed.

The warrant had come. The U.S. Marshals now had custody of May Cialis, and had transported her out of my County... going west, over the State line. I'd stayed in my office, lest I do something ugly to Nathan Masterson, who was chuckling and smirking the whole way out the door.

"Jack Muscone asked for Pierce's transfer to Federal custody, citing the explosives and dealing with NS-14." I said. "It came down from the very top in Washington... higher than the FBI Director... that there would be no transfer of custody of Timothy George Pierce to Federal custody; he's ours forever, it would seeeeem."

"Wow." said Cindy. "We'd better protect him, then. If he comes over all dead..."

"He's in isolation, on suicide watch." I said. "Nothing more we can do." I then peered at Cindy, until she became uncomfortable, like a dog being watched.

"Sir?" she asked.

"How are you holding up?" I asked. "How are things with Callie?"

Cindy nodded her understanding of my reasons for asking. "I'm okay. I swear I don't know how Callie can be so happy-go-lucky, so casual about things after last night. I guess she's lived for the moment her whole life. Me... I'm better now, and all this distraction is helping. But it was... tough... it was hard last night."

I nodded. "Yeah, I know." I said sympathetically. "It's been tough on all of us these past few years. Especially you. You've had to deal with a lot. And I haven't helped. I've put you in places of great stress."

"You've had to deal with far more than I have." said Cindy. "And to paraphrase Teresa: 'Stress is a privilege for the cousin of the Iron Crowbar to bear.'."

I burst out laughing at that one. Maybe it was all the stress of this day, but I couldn't stop laughing for a moment. Cindy laughed at her own joke, as well.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Callie Carrington called Cindy at 4:00pm, and asked her to bring me to Laura's office in the Psychology Building on the University Campus. When I asked what it was about, Cindy said she didn't know, only that I was asked to come see Laura while Cindy would stay with Callie in the other room.

When we got there, Laura's secretary was not there. Cindy went left, into the room that contained Callie's workspace. I knocked on the door to my wife's office and heard a "Come in!". I opened the door and went in... and stopped in surprise. It was not my wife Laura behind her desk... it was my ex-wife, Melina.

"Hi Don." she said. "Thanks for coming. As you've said in the past, this is the only safe place to talk."

"No doubt about that." I said, as Melina came over and sat on one of the sofas, me sitting on the other one opposite her, and of course admiring Melina's gorgeous legs. "So, what's this about?"

"I know you're upset about May Cialis being transferred to Federal custody." Melina said. "There's some things about that which you should know."

"Well," I said, "I'm less upset about that than about Krasney dropping the murder charges. But I digress... what did you want to tell me?"

"Sometimes something does get past the mighty Iron Crowbar." Melina said, perhaps meaning it to be a joke, but sounding like it was taking a shot at me. I said nothing, then Melina delivered the punch line: "You know I'm a CIA sniper, and am ordered to kill people on occasion. Did you ever consider, Don... that May Cialis executed her husband on the CIA's orders?"

As she spoke the words, the truth crashed down inside my head, and I understood.

"No, I didn't." I said. "But it makes sense. The last mission, in Florida. What, did James Cialis tip off the Israelis that May and Pierce were looking into their company down there?"

"I wasn't told the reasons why," said Melina, "just as I'm almost never told the reasons for my orders when given my missions. But that's a pretty strong possibility."

Melina continued: "I was actually happy that you'd intervened in Paris. I never got along with your sister while you and I were married, but I really didn't care to kill your sister, Todd's mother, and Doug's grandmother... especially as Elizabeth was helping Jews in France. And if James Cialis did tip off the Israelis about May's mission regarding them, it would be no skin off my nose whatsoever."

"There's a 'but' here, I know." I said.

"Yes." Melina said. "I know the Company is feeding me a line here, a line they want me to tell you. But there's more that they have not told me, but between Laura and myself, we can figure out things almost as good as you and your mother do."

"And my mother did, didn't she?" I asked, suddenly sure.

Melina gave me a brief, pursed smile, and said "Not too much gets by you, after all. Yes, your mother told us that she believes James Cialis was murdered because he is the one feeding the Guardians of Justice their information."

"Yes, that was something I considered." I said. "BigAgraFoods was headquartered here when the GOJ started up, the Cialises had missions before to look into companies that might be doing wrong, and the GOJ has been traced to this area."

I then peered hard at Melina and said "Curious, though... that my mother would tell Laura, and you... but not tell me... oh, wait... no, not too strange... my mother knew that if she told me, I'd fight like hell against May's extradition to the Feds, causing the CIA brass in Washington to be very angry with me, very angry indeed... and Laura has been working her tail off trying to keep my name out of their ears. Will it hold?"

"Yes." said Melina. "I don't know how they did it, but I'm glad they were able to convince you to let this one go. You were lucky as hell that they didn't just come kill you over the Eldon case." (Author's note: 'Case of the Lost Drone'.) "And of course, we'll always have 'Paris'. So I'm glad you're keeping your head down over this one."

I nodded. "Okay, then. Is there anything else?"

"No." Melina said. "Anything you want me to tell the Company? and do keep it clean."

I pondered that, then finally said "Just tell them to keep their end of the bargain they made with my wife and the retired Deputy Director."

Melina nodded. "No doubt about that. It's my life as well as yours in that agreement."

I got up and made my goodbyes, then left the office. Soooooo, I thought to myself, if James Cialis was able to walk into this Town & County and set up to help the Guardians of Justice... hmmm, I wonder who the GOJ could be... I woooooon-der who they could be...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You believe her?" Cindy said when we got back to my office and filled her in on the conversation with Melina.

"To a point, yes." I said. "Though I don't think James Cialis is the GOJ's only source, if he was a source at all."

"Who are the Guardians of Justice?" Cindy asked. "You said it's not you. My father says it's not him, nor anyone in his organization. I'm sure it's not Professor Milton, and I doubt it's Myron Milton."

"No, it's not Myron Milton." I said. "What I believe is that the GOJ is composed of multiple persons, with ties to the Federal Government as well as having inroads into big businesses. People who are themselves able to recruit a network of others, like hubs and spokes under the 'six degrees of separation' principle. I think the GOJ has shown only a fraction of its true capability, and may be waiting for the day when things get so bad in Washington that they have to lay it all out there for us to see how truly and deeply corrupt that Swamp is."

Cindy nodded. Just then there was a knock on the door. Myron Milton came in.

"Ah, just the man I wanted to see." I said. "Captain Ross, don't you think it's time to tell Mr. Milton?"

Cindy smiled in understanding, deeper understanding of what I really knew, that encompassed much more than just Myron Milton.

"Yes." she said.

Part 26 - Friday The Thirteenth

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday April 13th, from in front of City Hall. "Fox Two News has learned that Robert Mullen, chief attorney for the Public Safety Department's Inspector General's Office, has resigned his position. In a statement to the Press, Mr. Mullen cited the repeated cover-ups for Commander Donald Troy's actions, and twice removing him, Mr. Mullen, from investigations of Commander Troy, as the reasons for his resignation."

"Candidate for Sheriff Della Harlow issued a statement. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Della Harlow saying "Robert Mullen is a man of unimpeachable honor and integrity. That integrity will be sorely missed by a Public Safety Department that is sinking deeper and deeper into corruption every day. When I am Sheriff, I will clean up the corruption that Robert Mullen fought against."

Behind Harlow were people holding signs with a big "H" and saying "Harlow: I'm With Her." She could not have gotten better advertising if she'd had to pay for it.

Back to Bettina live: "Political experts say that Mr. Mullen's resignation may not be a coincidence with regard to the strong possibility that Attorney General Karl Handel will name a State Independent Counsel over the weekend, whose purpose will be to investigate Governor Val Jared on charges that he helped cover up the assassination of superstar singer Jasmine Nix, and also ordered law enforcement to intimidate Hillary Braselton and Donna Rodman, who had leveled sexual impropriety charges against the Governor."

"And in local news," continued Bettina, "all charges against May Cialis were dropped as she was transferred to Federal custody. The FBI did not respond to requests for comments, nor did they confirm that Federal charges against Mrs. Cialis are impending. District Attorney Gil Krasney said the decision to extradite Mrs. Cialis was made after consultations with Police Commander Donald Troy. Commander Troy could not be reached for comment."

"Meanwhile, Timothy George Pierce, who the D.A.'s Office believes may have been involved in the murder of May Cialis's husband, was not extradited to Federal custody, despite multiple explosives-related charges." said Bettina. "He is also charged with kidnapping and assault charges. Police are not commenting on Mr. Pierce's case."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Damn." said Theo Washington as we drank coffee in MCD. "Krasney took one hell of a cheap shot at Commander Troy, there." The murmurs of agreement were not quite as strong as Jerome's Navy brew of coffee this morning.

"I made it a little strong for Friday the 13th." explained Jerome earlier. "We may need it."

I said "When I was in the Army, I had this spell where I was having headaches. I went to the medics about it, but they didn't find anything out of whack---"

"They should re-examine you today, sir." said Teresa, flat deadpan. A red crowbar was waved in her general direction as everyone laughed.

"As I was saying," I continued, "what we found out was that the Sergeant who was making the coffee had switched to decaf. He thought things were a little too tense in the office. He is the only NCO whose heels I locked and who I chewed out as I told him that he would never, ever, make that switch to decaf again. Jerome, whatever you do, do NOT switch to decaf."

"Aye aye, sir." said Jerome.

"Theo is right, though." said Cindy. "That was a real cheap shot by Krasney. Are you going to make a retaliatory statement?"

"I just might." I said. "But seriously, I'm much, much more worried about that Independent State Counsel."

"And well you should beeeeee." drawled Chief Moynahan as he came into the MCD room. Joanne Warner won the race to pour him a cup of coffee, as she was right at the coffeepots. The Chief said "I am verrrry con-cerrrrrrrned about that situation."

"Why, sir?" asked Joanne.

"Because the true target of that probe is not the Governor." said Moynahan. "The Iron Crowbar is the man in those bastards' sights." There were gasps in the room, then it fell silent. I nodded and then shrugged my shoulders. One more bridge to burn when I came to it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Priya Ajmani, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" shouted the lovely Indian reporterette at 8:00am. "Within the last half hour, the Guardians of Justice have released another large number of Government documents and emails!"

"Some of the leaked emails are from the FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C.," said Priya, "and were exchanges of information that May Cialis is actually a CIA operative, and how she could be extradited to Federal custody and the murder charge against her dropped!"

"Other documents are emails between members of the social justice groups 'Black Voices Raised' and 'Citizens For Police Accountability. Some of them are to and from State Senator Maxine Watts and CFPA spokesman Jay Swenson, and these persons discussed that the Independent State Counsel they expect to be appointed will focus on Commander Donald Troy, in order to drain him financially and also to have him suspended, fired, or otherwise removed from office on 'trumped-up' charges!"

"U.S. Senator Samuel Russell's office in Midtown issued a statement condemning the Guardians of Justice." said Priya. "Senator Russell says that the GOJ is an organization of traitors and cyber-terrorists, whose 'false documents' should not be believed. He also says that when they are caught, the members of the Guardians of Justice, and I quote, 'will be given the most harsh punishments possible under the law, including the death penalty for treason', close quote."

"Meanwhile," Priya went on, "State Senator Maxine Watts has not been reached for comment, and our calls to the Town & County Police Force for Commander Troy's comments have not been returned."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ho-lee shit." said Cindy as she and I watched the broadcast in my office. "Who could've gotten that stuff, and so quickly?"

"I dunno." I said. "The stuff on May Cialis was top-level Washington stuff. That just kicked a hornet's nest. Whoever they are, I hope the GOJ considers taking a little vacation, or it might get ugly for them."

"It seems as if everything they put out," Cindy said astutely, "was designed to help you. Especially the stuff from the CFPA group about draining you financially."

"Yeah." I said. I picked up the phone and called Mike Todd. "Mike... yes, I saw it, that's why I'm calling... hold on, hold on, give me a chance to talk, here... what I need you to do is immediately file a lawsuit against the CFPA and Jay Swenson, and subpoena those emails about them trying to drain me financially... oh yeah, they're going to help big-time for what I think is coming in the future..."

After talking with Mike, I called Jack Muscone, and asked him to subpoena all the CFPA and 'Black Voices Raised' documents, as well. He said he'd do what he could.

"All right." I said as I hung up the phone. "If we can get those documents before they destroy them, then maybe what Teresa and the Chief are discussing right now won't matter."

"I was wondering where she was." said Cindy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Captain Croyle," said the Chief after calling Teresa in and having her sit down, "there is something of the deepest importance that we need to dis-cussssss. Chief Griswold, would you explain?"

"Sure." said Chief Griswold, who was sitting next to Teresa. "Captain, this issue about the Independent State Counsel is not insignificant at all. As you know, my wife and I are good friends with the Governor and his wife. I'll get straight to the bottom line: the Governor is not the only target of this probe, and he's not even the main target."

"Who, then?" asked Teresa. "Don?"

"Yezzzzz." said Moynahan. "It's no coincidence that the two areas they're probing, the assassination of Jasmine Nix and the sexual harassment issues, are both cases that the Iron Crowbar was involved in perrrrsonally. That sexual harassment case is particularly troubling, as Commander Troy did investigate those women and did find them to be criminals."