All Comments on 'Mountain Rescue'

by MountainMiscellanist

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Really Good.

Thank you

alexamarkalexamarkover 3 years ago
Great story

Having been too close to people who were in advanced hypothermia (uncontrolled shaking and drowsiness), I can really apreciate this one. I also enjoy positive endings ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Pretty Good.

Glad to see characters of my age group.

Only thing is as one who lived in the Highlands the first thing you learn is to "read" the weather and know the official forecast is useless. So no one who has grown up in the mountains would be up there without proper kit. That's a tourist mistake.

Also if you have a sprain bad enough to need strapping and two weeks to heal no way in hell do you do the moves she did. Apart from that the sex was good.

Don't mean to be a nitpicker but otherwise I e joyed the story and hope you write more. Member. ukduke (captcha playing silly beggars so can't sign in )

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good but as experienced mountain runners both kits lacked an essential item

Liked the story but as they were experienced both runners should have been carrying mobile phones pre registered with the police and Mountain Rescue. That way even with poor reception they would have had a chance at sending a text message for help.

In the UK we are lucky to have volunteer Rescue Teams willing to go out and rescue anyone in difficulty on the mountains but anyone going on the mountain should carry way more kit than Sal did irrespective of the weather forecast. Also leaving a route itinery with someone else in case of such an emergency is strongly advised.

MountainMiscellanistMountainMiscellanistover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the comments (and the nitpicking ukduke!). Always welcome. With regard to mountain safety, I wasn't thinking of this as being an instruction manual for runners! (Though, if you want a cautionary tale, the fact that Sal wasn't carrying the right kit, and that it all went wrong for her, lies at the heart of the story.) I'm an ML qualified outdoor instructor., and I'd never go out without a phone (but it might have shortened the story in a disappointing fashion :-) ) . If I ever rewrite it I might add a phone that can't get signal.

I'm glad you enjoyed the sex! :-)

DunkirkDunkirkover 3 years ago

He needs to visit her village on a regular basis and spend his nights in her pussy

wapentakewapentakeover 3 years ago

A well written story and an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
makes a nice change

Excellent, well done, sounded authentic about the mountains (I've done the munros plus winter & summer climbs), refreshing change from yankee hillbilly stores aboout doing their sisters & strewn with spelling mistakes. And, no, mobile phones are next to useless, learn use of map & compass, though handheld GPS useful. I live in hope of meeting a Sal :)

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 3 years ago
Enjoyable

A well used plot, but very well done. In just 3 pages (thanks for that) I felt that I got to know the two of them pretty well. The world is full of lonely people who aren't desperate, but are in need of companionship. These two are somewhat idealized, but, hell it's your story and you can make it fit any fantasy you want. I, too found it a little hard to fathom that an experienced runner like Sal would venture out on a terrible day like that so poorly equipped. Particularly since she was a local and knew the vagaries of the local weather. It's all right to create a fantasy, but it does have to be credible to have greatest effect. Still it's worth a 5* rating.

MountainMiscellanistMountainMiscellanistover 3 years agoAuthor

Again, many thanks for the recent comments.

I didn't want to make this a mountaineering teach-in, but hope the feeling of the mountains was reasonably authentic. It was based on years of experience in the hills, walking, running and climbing. Actually, I have found mobiles to be surprisingly good in the highlands! But of course everyone who goes into the hills should know how to use a map and compass and carry them!

Overcritical - Many thanks for your comments on the believeability. What you say is quite right, and obvious with hindsight. It wouldn't have taken much wordsmithing to handle that better. (Showing she had some kit, but not enough. Adding an explanation that she had seen the forecast, but really thought the front wouldn't be in until nightfall, by which time she'd have been down. Or something!) Really good to have a self confessed nitpicker and an Overcritical making comments!

Thanks all. More comments (good and bad!) welcomed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

...fun to read...

but, as a rockclimber/mountain climber the last forty years with no electronics (though vhf on Cassin Ridge on Denali) can´t imagine ever being caught out by weather - whether -40C in a blzzard on Denali´s summit ridge or a rain squall on a Squamish Chief wall. Never in serious trouble. Cute story, nonetheless!

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

Good story, but tbh I’m surprised it was in the romance category, I’d have thought that EC would have been more fitting given it was only for a week at best? That said, I appreciate that Sal’s predicament was required to make the story work in that way, but as someone that’s walked for years in the Brecon Beacons, you plan for the worst and hope for the best, and generally it’s the visitors that run into bother, not the locals as Sal did. Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

MountainMiscellanistMountainMiscellanistabout 2 years agoAuthor

HI Purplefizz

Thanks for the comments. Yep - could have been in EC I guess, but it felt romantic to me, in its own way!

I agree, it is often the visitors, but even seasoned locals can have an unexpected fall. In fact one inspiration for writing this was a blog account by a very experienced fell runner who had gone out for a "standard" 8 mile run, misjudged the conditions, slipped on the ice on a remote path and broke his ankle. A mate of his and mountain recue got him home, but it was a cautionary tale, as I hope mine is!

But all that really matters is that you enjoyed it :-)

clearlyenigmaticclearlyenigmaticover 1 year ago

While I agree this could have been in EC, it felt like a romantic story to me. What the future holds for the new lovers is left to our imagination. I'm good with that.

I enjoyed the setting and description of how quickly things can turn from exciting to dangerous. I have spent enough time in remote locations to have some experience with the vagaries of nature and a clear understanding that the excitement and joy that comes with leaving the beaten path often involves risk. Experience and preparation decrease the risk, but life without risk is boring and uninteresting. Thanks for an interesting story.

sg1010sg1010about 1 year ago

I thoroughly enjoyed your creation !

THANK YOU !

Scott

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMountainMiscellanist@MountainMiscellanist
A mountain wanderer, inspired by nature and by stories.

SIMILAR Stories