All Comments on 'Mr E and the Guilty Conscience'

by Tx Tall Tales

Sort by:
  • 475 Comments (Page 2)
C_frommnC_frommnover 10 years ago
5 Stars

Love Mystery and the way w/o knowing it or at least admitting he did. The wife and friends got their Heads out of their Asses.

I would like to read more about MYSTERY.

WriteOnGuyWriteOnGuyover 10 years ago
The story goes on...

I liked this story - thank you for sharing it. Some well defined quirky characters here, and I'd like to hear more about their further adventures. I don't know if you have any sequel(s) planned, but after I finished reading, I couldn't help imagining something that could happen. Maybe this turns out to be a typical LW story and the promise from the two husbands and Sue doesn't last. Perhaps there is an emergency wiring job, say after a fire, in the Antarctic that your hero has to spend three months fixing. When he returns and finally figures out what the mice did while the cat was away - well there could be all kinds of interesting, magical revenge scenarios. Just a thought for you to consider.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Five Stars

This is the damnedest story I've ever read. Kind of reminds me of Forrest Gump.

cathlarcathlarover 10 years ago
Really liked the story

Some Forrest Gump, some Peter Sellars as the gardener. A guy with little or no guile simply trying to do the right thing gets involved with some "sophistcates" who get the wrong idea when dealing with his honest attempts to fit into the group.

I would like to see what the author would do in a Part II.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Well that was fun.

And I suspect the reader is just another person in Mister E's environment to make assumptions. Great read, thx!

silver766silver766over 10 years ago
Cracked Me Up!

That was funny as hell! You got a 5 from me.Tx you never fell to get a reaction out me. I would love to see a few sequels to this story. This guy is a riot. Let them continue to quake in their shoes with the wives feeling like they have to pay him back, with his wife's full blessings. I would love to see how you pull that one off with him still being clueless and assuming that he is still the luckest guy in the world and with the best life ever.

Thank you from Miss Silver766 (I'm giving this one a second read through)

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Loved it

Five stars from me as well - a good laugh and an unusual story for this site

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesover 10 years agoAuthor
Thank You

Thanks for all the kind comments. The response to this story surprised me. I didn't think it was much more than a fun little quirky story. Never expected more than 100 comments in the first 24 hours.

As for the continuation. This is NOT just another loving wives tale. I believe more chapters will involve him resolving issues more on the periphery of his life, than involving his wife. He gets dragged in accidentally, and soon becomes a key component of resolving the issue.

If it was a loving wife series, it would be a classical TLW, with no cheating going on. He's in love, and his wife loves him, although she allowed herself to get into a very stupid situation, which will be cleared up later. I will tell you this much, at least one of the comments on the non-cheating situation was VERY close to what I envisioned. It never surprises me, the readers here are quite astute. Quite often scarily so. I certainly have to be on my toes.

I have brief outlines for 4 different follow-ups. All stand alone stories. Three are targeted to another contest (Halloween / Christmas / Valentine's Day). The largely positive response has me already reviewing the outline for the Halloween story.

I know I need to complete my other series, but I'm determined to enter at least one story in each of the contests. Two in the case of this one, the other one is close to complete. Then it will be back to Two Moms, Two Laps, and a new chapter of CvsN! I also have a couple of large, multi-chapter stories near completion.

Thanks to all my readers, those who vote, and especially those who take the time to comment and let me know what works and what doesn't. I consider every story here a part of my evolution as a writer. Some are false steps, and there will always be a few stumbles along the way. I hope that the majority of my stories are to your liking. Thanks you for the support, and readership, and the many Favorites. I'm humbled.

TTT

TwosheddzTwosheddzover 10 years ago
Liked it! 5*

Reminded me of a story ( I think one of HDK's ) where the husband was making random comments that the wife kept misinterpreting. The interplay was hysterical.

TwosheddzTwosheddzover 10 years ago
Liked it! 5*

Reminded me of a story ( I think one of HDK's ) where the husband was making random comments that the wife kept misinterpreting. The interplay was hysterical.

cpetecpeteover 10 years ago
5*****

Anyone who has ever met a person with aspergers can relate to the main character.

Yes there are people like that and this story nailed it.

Fine read, looking forward to more...

db1044db1044over 10 years ago
Great Little Tale

This may be your best ever. Thank you.

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesover 10 years agoAuthor
A Little Help From My Friends

Sometimes I'm a dolt. I had two excellent beta readers for this story. Not editors, per se, so all the grammar and spelling mistakes are mine. Early reviewers to help make sure a weird, convoluted story like this made sense, somewhere outside of my head. I should have given them credit in the introduction.

Thanks to patientlee, and to another friend who is not on Lit. Their suggestions, I'm sure made this confusing tale a little less so.

MadBrownMadBrownover 10 years ago
LOVED IT!!

Hilarious! Laughed my ass off.

SalamisSalamisover 10 years ago
When two worlds collide

This is a marvelous case of people hearing what they want to hear. The husband is completely honest in all of his exchanges, but the people around him are so caught up in their own fanciful delusion that they misread his every word.

Your storytelling and construction were masterful, and I enjoyed this story so much I read it twice.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 10 years ago
Interesting

What I would like to know is what specifically did not happen. I mean in another chapter. Please continue...

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
5! More, please!

And sooner rather than later.

I loved the main character, and I love the way you tell a story.

Please explain the event(s) which lead to the guilty conscience, even if the hero never finds out. Maybe let us overhear a conversation between the wives, or a husband and wife, or even the guilty parties. I realize this could be difficult given how so far at least the whole story is from Mr. E's perspective, but I trust that you have the skills and imagination to pull it off.

draftingmonkeydraftingmonkeyover 10 years ago
What a hoot

Have to agree with MadBrown, this story was hilarious. Can't wait for the next installment in the series.

JeffTomJeffTomover 10 years ago
kan,t b this stuped

I really don't think that anyone can be that stupid.

Thank you for writing this story for all of us.

firas01firas01over 10 years ago
new

I will grant you that, but as earlier posters said, I can never anyone be that stupid, he never asked himself the very basic question, what are they talking about? I cant imagine anybody on the face of the earth when faced with a scene such as this wouldnt say, what the hell are you talking about?

IronDragonIronDragonover 10 years ago
Triple T...

The mark of a great LW tale is the fact that Harry hates it! I noticed a couple of his bash comments, so yeah. Keep up the good work! :D

I'd give it more stars if I could. lol

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
No One Is This Stupid.

Dense doesn't cover what this guy is, he is STUPID! I understand it's just a story but W.T.F.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Liked the story

Great story, a really nice change with him stopping whatever they where doing before it got carried away. would really like to see this guy again.

rixelsrixelsover 10 years ago
The Best

Mystery is not stupid he is just lacking in social skills and experience. TX makes reference to Mystery's social failings many times in the story. If you were to visit JPL you could find platoons of people that could send rockets to Mars, but would make Mystery look like a well adjusted social butterfly.

Mystery reminds me of the Chauncey Gardener character in the fantastic movie "Being There".

This is one of the best written stories I have read in two years of daily reading.

Thank you

brujaybrujayover 10 years ago
Clueless......

Life is like a box of chocolates..........

harristharristover 10 years ago
Not completely believable

I like him too, although I find it hard to believe anyone with as much varied education as you gave him could possibly so totally clueless. I find the loyalty and dedication to Sue completely in character but think he is smart enough to be just a little more "worldly". Overall a very good story, and it is yours so go where you feel you need to with him. It certainly does add to the mystery that surrounds him among their group.

Jim44444Jim44444over 10 years ago
Amusing

Just fucking amusing. Thanks for writing.

Storm113Storm113over 10 years ago
Bring him back

I really like this character. Please bring him back, but no cheating. I really like that he, cluelessly, stopped it cold without knowing.

ChildOfGaulChildOfGaulover 10 years ago
Amusing and entertaining story idea

A+ for originality told with a light touch. Such a nice change from the standard fare.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 10 years ago
Very clever

Your hero is an ingenious invention! Very cleverly crafted, and well written. You've got a winner here!

OverthefallsOverthefallsover 10 years ago
Funny story - I think?

Even after reading it twice, I'm not sure if he's really clever or a clueless moron. Certainly he's socially inept. And he apparently has no notion of what his wife and friends are up to (although Annie seems to be lost too). I look forward to your next installment of the "Perils of Trey" to discover who, exactly, he is. I will say that the parts about the knives and the magic failed to entertain. They were simply confusing and even after reading them several times I just didn't understand what he was trying to accomplish.

Dubby49Dubby49over 10 years ago
Very ambiguous

Great stuff. The mystery of Mister E.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Oh my word, I loved this story. You should definitely bring your Mr. E back!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
LOL

excellent story, funny and well written

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Great story

Certainly a 5. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Sadly it's a story that seems doomed to an unhappy ending. You can't live with someone day in and day out without realizing who they really are sooner or later. When she realizes he's not just mysterious and really is just quiet because he's slow she'll begin to lose all respect for him. He's not the man she thought she married.

troubleddeeplytroubleddeeplyover 10 years ago
great work

Love the complexity of a simple quite man. Excellent read and looking forward to where you will take this. Is he just lucky to be so accurate without really knowing ANYTHING? Or is he really more observant than we were led to believe in this installment? Either way it looks to be an interesting ride going forward.

fanfarefanfareover 10 years ago
terrorizingly terrific Trey

T3, I gotta tell you how much I enjoyed this story. For those who cannot believe that anyone could be so clueless. Well, I known a lot of guys and some gals in Tech & Academia & related circles, who were brilliant intellects and totally socially inept.

And, to be honest, there were a number of times my wife accused me of being Mr. Oblivious.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Jesus, this was painful to read because Mr E could easily be me! I am the most clueless bastard on the planet when it comes to women, innuendos, hidden agendas, etc. Spit it out, don't fuckin' dance around...

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
The Gardener

Peter Sellers / / Trey

I realy liked it, both your story too.....bill

crazycujocrazycujoover 10 years ago
FUN

i think you had a lot of fun writing this story. hope to see some more adventures from the mystery man. thanks......

FD45FD45over 10 years ago
Similar thought

I was thinking Forest Gump. I had forgotten Chauncey Gardener.

vyacheslav_40vyacheslav_40over 10 years ago
One of the best story on the site!

I like the man, his wife and other characters.

I'm waiting for another Mr. E story!

rixelsrixelsover 10 years ago
More Please

No, not more gruel. Six or 8 more chapters as good as this one. Get back to work! No rest for the wicked writer. Thank you.

JohnnyGaltJohnnyGaltover 10 years ago
To Overthefalls

TTT had to include the magic and knife stuff in the "background" sections, since they play such a large part of the scenes where every one assumes he knows.

I agree that folks like Mr E DO exist, and to a certain extent, I am one of them (without the mysterious background, of course, but totally clueless, socially. Thank God the right woman picked me to marry, 30 years ago)

But I also agree that after living with him for two years, Sue would most certainly know exactly what kind of guy she really married

Another thought:

The part about doing IT work in Antarctica as a private contractor after being brought down on another contract may make a Government Auditor perk up.. Sounds an awful lot like it falls under "Fraud, Waste and Abuse"

All that being said, to repeat an earlier poster

"Please, Sir, may I have some more?"

FungiUgFungiUgover 10 years ago
Awesome!

A lot of your recent stuff has been dark, and while I appreciate how well you write it, it's not as enjoyable for me as the lighter stuff. This, on the other hand, I loved! :D

norcal62norcal62over 10 years ago
Definitely Forrest Gump.

Somewhat exasperating reading.

Storm113Storm113over 10 years ago
more please

please add and expand. i know you wanted to leave it implied but i would like to know how far the 3 went and why. thank you for a great story.

gravyruggravyrugover 10 years ago
See what you get for being so damned good?

Bunches of people clamoring for more. Including me. I love this character!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
was enjoying this up to the bit with them saying sorry

just what the fuck were they all on about - sort of got to thinking that Sue was thinking of fucking around but nothing explained what the hell was going on....totally confused as to what wen to or what all the angst was about....try explaining just what happened and what it was all about as I'm sure many other people have no clue what went on or what was going on......totally confused so the story ended up in the toilet.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Loved it!

Great idea for an unusual story in Literotica. Give us more of this character. The humor is sweet!

shadowjack17shadowjack17over 10 years ago
Forrest Gump? Get real.

More like Peter Sellers, I think? Anyone? Shirley MacLaine before she started channeling her inner lunatics? "I like to watch?"

Come ON, people.

The man writes some truly amazing stuff. And he's from the Republic, too. Work with me here.

We'd ALL like to see Mister E again, 3T. Please?

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Fun and Different

Intelligent, thoughtful, and different story. Inventiveness alone deserves a 5* but also very well written. Kudos

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
definitely different

the character is sort of a mix between chauncey the gardner, forrest gump and a little bit of rain man. quite entertaining though and enjoyable read. not sure what you could do with a character like this turn him into another columbo type P I stumbling across solutions he didn't even knew where problems.

keep up the good work always look forward to your postings

rick_ohrick_ohover 10 years ago
Yes, I would like to see more

of this kind of story. Maybe more developed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
love the 'mysterious' ending

Part of me wants the details of what Sue and the two guys did; part of me likes the ambiguity of the situation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Okay

It's been 4+ months and no more stories about Mr. Mystery. I know, we are all waiting for the next chapter in the "It's Only a ..." But, still we need your great writing to cope with this cold winter. Thanks.

DjshengDjshengover 10 years ago
10/10

Please... More... Pleaseeeeee

ian0452ian0452about 10 years ago

loved this story. I would definitely like to read more about mystery and sue. I reckon you could easily write a bit about his past and where he is from

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
what a great concept.

Loved this story. Original and entertaining. I can see a lot of fun stories in this series and hope that the next one comes soon.

StormMasterStormMasterabout 10 years ago
Absolutely loved it

Nuff said.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
please sir, may we have some more

You say that you have more story ideas for this character, so let us have some, please.

But then again, Sue may have gone too far.

PhotoproffPhotoproffabout 10 years ago
Clueless with unknown malice

Huh? Don't leave us hanging. Will Trey ever learn what happened? Great spinning the tricks with the story. The 40 foot knife throw didn't hurt either.

MORE!

shanebrumdershanebrumderabout 10 years ago
What the hell?

I usually love your stories, but this was the stupidest thing I've ever read. No one is that dense. Completely unbelievable, and I'd be fine if this character was never revisited.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
great, fun read

I loved the story. Would really like to see more of this character.

truly great.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
troubling

The rest of them are nearly in fear of him and yet they mess around with his wife and she possibly cheats on him ?

While he may be oblivious they are just plain stupid.

Given what they believe about him why would they chance making an enemy of him ?

green1943green1943about 10 years ago
Great "mystery"

I really enjoy all of your writing but this one especially. Hope to see more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Definitely weird. This guy must be as thick as one of his construction projects.

auhunter04auhunter04almost 10 years ago

just a bit off center

1zardoz956081zardoz95608almost 10 years ago
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?

Are we going to write more, or are we going to leave our faithful readers twisting in the breeze?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
I had to asay it dear Comment By: 1zardoz9560

We aren't going to write anything. All you do is bitch and piss off people who are trying to write. I see you have written NOTHING!!! But you cry like the fag you are

AwakeningofSensesAwakeningofSensesalmost 10 years ago
Just a thought

I get it, it is a make believed. But, if the guy is so good in the sack and the guys respect him because they think he is some kind of ex seal/ranger, why they try to fuck his wife and the wife trying to get some strange behind his back? Maybe I dissect the story too much instead of just take it for what it is.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
LOL

Funniest story of miscommunication I've ever read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
great story!

awsome style and build-up. Please do a re-write with a confession of what happened from the wife's point of view and feelings after the party

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Unfinished

This needs a follow-up. One where he realises exactly what had been going on!

She needs to come clean and let him decide if she is worth it. Personally I don't think she is and he deserves someone better.

ONCE A CHEAT ALWAYS A CHEAT! SHE WILL DO IT AGAIN.!!!!!

GenicoGenicoalmost 10 years ago
Great read

This story is one of a few I like to come back to every month or so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
very very fun read

I really really liked this story. Please do more in this style, perhaps more from MR E.

Great work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
mmmm

Really didn't see the point, it never actually went anywhere!

Seeker1107Seeker1107over 9 years ago
funny

Damn shame he didn't catch on, however, better that they didn't. I've witnessed and been involved in a few interrogations in the past and find that most people will basically dig their own graves with their own mouths given the opportunity. Or better said give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. Even though he was a social idiot too stupid to read the signs. What does it say about the people around him that assume he is a trained killer, and she attempts to screw around on him? Knew a guy in jsoc once who told me of a mutual friend who's wife tried that. After three kids that he loved more than his own life she pulled this shit with a higher ranking officer. He made sure that the officer was kicked out first then the officer "committed suicide" due to the shame. The wife got the message loud and clear. She never goes out, doesn't socialize anymore and knows thay as soon as the kids finish growing up she just may find herself with nothing. He did it smart and never said a word about anything to anyone but he knew how to get the job done in an efficiant quiet manner.

Liked this story, G-D really does look out for drunks fools and young children.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME

until they realize the punch line. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
great!

lease consider more on Mr E.

I loved the humor, writing is top notch work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Terrific story

As someone who worked out of Hurlburt many, many moons ago, and not stringing Cat-5, bravo!

I'll even forgive you for not mentioning Special Tactics before SF and Seals -- it was OUR turf, after all :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Mr. E

M o r e ................you have a great imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
YES! YES! YES!

Follow up forthwith s'il vous plait.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Da bomb

Would lov a follow up. Where he actually finds out what went down! Plz make another

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
SCARED STRAIGHT FOR ALL OF THEM

by a Carny Trick and Exhibition. TK U MLJ LV NV

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 9 years ago
Please don't leave us in the dark, what did Sue, Mark and Dale do?

Inquiring minds want to know. I hope to go back and see another chapter.

EgoTrixiEgoTrixiover 9 years ago
Nothing happened...

...but they were shocked to the bones? Does not fit, actually. Something must have happened...Very appealing story, brought to us in your usual entertaining way (too long and too many backslides, perhaps).Anyway: You have managed to build up tension and expectation...but somehow it seems you wanted to deny what makes a story round, - a proper ending. He could not really be t h a t stupid, after all the hinting now, could he? Calls for an aftermath.. 4* instead of 5 because of that.

wonder203wonder203over 9 years ago
Thanks

Great different twist. Would have been fun if he picked up what was going on, after all he got an MBA

kjohns2001kjohns2001over 9 years ago
Fantastic!

Fantastic! Utterly fantastic. Sometimes the Gods smile on nice guys, and he was, is, a nice guy. But, he is also a quiet guy. Maybe he is not spec ops, but he is exactly the type they look for. It is the quiet ones you have to look out for, and if he caught her cheating, I can tell you he would be the one most likely to totally lose it and kill her and the others before he even realized what he was doing. Of course he would be sorry after, but it would only add to the misery of his being totally devastated. I loved the way that his misunderstanding the situation, and theirs, dovetailed into the perfect 'stop it before it goes too far' scenario. Except for the fact that people can be stupid shits in real life you would have to wonder how anyone could possibly be stupid enough to even dream of laying a finger on the guys wife, much less go further than that. One can only hope that in the context of the story everyone learned their lesson and 'they all lived happily ever after' can apply. I would love a book based on this....please. Please please please!!!!

Keoni1791Keoni1791over 9 years ago
Love it!

My second time through this one, and it's even better this time. Would love to see more in this vein! Mister E is a wonderful character!

jezzazjezzazover 9 years ago
Goodness me...

But you ARE good, aren't you?

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceabout 9 years ago
I think my third or fourth time reading this... seems a safe bet I've liked it...

I don't picture him as a Forrest Gump character but rather as Wallace Ritchie (Bill Murray's character in "The Man Who Knew Too Little").

It's not that he has a low IQ but rather that he's just totally inept socially. Almost completely unable to see or read any of the clues that most people consider obvious.

But part of that is just "What we have HERE is a failure to communicate." Like having two languages which have many words in common but the definition of all of the words being completely different.

Be interesting to know at what point Sue started loving him vs probably just wanting him for the probable things he had and - by extension - would share with her.

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
Something/Nothing Happened

Obviously(?) Sue had SOME sort of an inappropriate relationship with Dale and Mark, probably not consummated, but just WHAT went on?

Frankly, I'd rather have more info on the NOW and less of the THEN.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
More Please

Continue this story line PLEASE !!!

sdc97230sdc97230about 9 years ago
We can't ever know what went on, because the story is told from his POV

It's his cluelessness that the other characters have mistaken for cold, calculating scheming that forms the basis of the story. If he ever found out he'd get upset and it would ruin the whole gag.

kdcee79kdcee79about 9 years ago
2nd read

Hell this is just so damm good. Good plot, extremely well told & written; you've woven an almost Walter Mitty type character telling this from his pov. This works so very well, because he is so socially naive & inept that his wife & all their friends believe him to be like them, when in fact he's nothing like them at all. He means exactly what he says & says exactly what he means. Really quite clever & funny. Well done.

5 big ***** again.

edwusaedwusaabout 9 years ago
We Need More of Mister E

2013. Too long ago. Time for another. You listening Tx?

markranemarkraneabout 9 years ago
Great Story!

I loved the Chance The Gardener aspect of his character. Nearly perfectly written. Thank you T3. Another chapter of MrE would be most welcome.

sdc97230sdc97230about 9 years ago
Lots of us are clueless and socially inept at times

But very few of us are as lucky as Trey. He couldn't have done a better job of scaring the shit out of the cheaters if he had known everything and been trying to stop them.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTx Tall Tales@Tx Tall Tales
The only thing constant is change. A new State, a new City, a new Job, and new Stories (coming soon).