MUCH ADO IN 2022

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mrs. Hawkins nodded approval, allowing herself a smile as she made a show of thinking deeply about the matter. She went to a corner of the kitchen and reached into a deep nook in the side of the old fireplace where, more than a hundred years ago, dough had been allowed to rise. She took out a binder, flipped through it quickly, and removed a page.

Tracy blushed as she realized that she had been made privy to a secret. Mrs. Hawkins handed her the page.

"Here you go, Traci." She shook her head knowingly. "Cheryl at the market said that Tom loaded up on a myriad of chips but was a little light in the dip department. You can take that. I will bring my meatballs. I'm invited, too, but I will be by later and not stay too long. Jason will be eating at the party, I am sure, but I will need to have dinner ready for the guests." Then she smiled. "You can keep that for your binder."

Traci blushed. "I really, really appreciate it, Mrs. Hawkins. I will treasure your treasures."

"And keep them secret, right?"

"Absolutely, Mrs. Hawkins."

"But pass them along at the right time, to the right person." She smiled as if something had made her feel lighter. "My own daughter is too modern and too busy to do such an old-fashioned, domestic a thing as 'cooking' for her family. And I don't think something is as appreciated if everyone gets it every day; being a little secret helps make it a little more special. And memorable is important. Indeed it is." She shook herself, then actually grinned. "Besides, I would not want to be responsible for an obesity plague in my home town, even post mortem. You can have that oven and I'll use this one."

Traci guided her car through the town and waved to some of the kids she recognized from Story Time at the Library, and they waved back. She was still concerned, and a bit puzzled, about Tom Henderson's interest in her, but was determined to look for realistic dating prospects. She should quiz Judy on where the best place to meet people her own age in town would be.

She parked along the street, not wanting to get trapped in the wide driveway and forced to stay later than was prudent. Resolutely she took the casserole dish and made her way up the walk to the door and rang the bell.

And he answered it.

Only, somehow, he had managed to grow an inch, had slightly broader shoulders, had the deep, deep tan of someone who has labored long and hard in a place with a relentless sun, had lost all the grey hairs - and 30 years along with them. His dark, piercing eyes were wide open, startled. "I didn't know anyone new had been invited," he stammered in a deep, dreamy voice.

She stared at him for a moment, seeing past him and vividly into her personal future, and said, "I do." She shook herself in embarrassment as his eyebrows shot up. "I mean, I am. New. New to town. Traci Smith." She thrust the casserole dish into his hands. "This is Mrs. Hawkins' chili cheese dip. Careful, it's still hot. Give me a minute, I want to pull my car into the driveway."

Just then, Eileen pulled her car up to the garage door on the left hand side of the driveway, leaving plenty of room on the right hand side. Eileen had a smile on her lips, hope in her heart, and an overnight bag tucked discreetly on the floor behind the driver's seat.

Before Traci could turn away, Tom appeared behind the man who had just caused her heart to accelerate to impossible speeds. He had the beatific smile of a man who was already imagining dandling grandchildren on his knee. "Traci, you made it. I see you've already met the chip off the old block, Doctor Bob... my son."

Nine months later, the notice in the local paper read:

Dr. and Mrs. Robert Henderson invite the town to the marriage of their father:

Thomas Xavier Henderson

To Ms. Eileen Palmer Grant

On August 8th, 2022 at 10:00 O'clock at St. Giana's Roman Catholic Church

Reception to follow in the Town Park starting at noon and continuing until the police send us home.

AND LIFE GOES ON...

Author Afterword

By now you have figured out that the line was, in modern English, "I have wooed and won her for you." Where the charming prince sweeps the delightful young woman off her feet and then stands aside for the shy young man. Hopefully I made that work here. It could have been shorter, but I enjoyed setting the stage too much. I guess LORD OF THE RINGS could have been half as long, but so much would have been lost - and they would only have needed a movie and a half.

STATION BREAK is coming, and hopefully worth the wait.