Mud and Magic Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fist of Justice?" Mirrin asked, her voice hushed in awe.

"A Paladin?" Hilgrun asked. "Where did you find a Paladin, Hagazz?"

The dark elf laughed. "In the entrance hall. Idunn said 'Find Mirrin and introduce her.' So here we are. Maia, meet Mirrin."

"Me?" Mirrin looked from Maia to Rhys. "What..."

Maia walked to a barrel holding training swords and picked one. She hefted the shaped wood and turned to face Mirrin. "Lady Idunn has asked me to evaluate a possible sister-in-arms today," she said. "How much training did you have?"

Mirrin paled. "Uh... training?" She looked at Hilgrun, silently pleading for aid.

"Speak up, girl," Maia said, coming to a halt two blade lengths away from her. "How many hours have you had?"

"Just- just a few," Mirrin stammered. "I wouldn't call it training even. We just horsed around a bit."

Maia looked at Hagazz. "I hope you're not playing any tricks on me."

"No, not at all," the dark elf said. "She's the one."

Maia sighed. "All right then, girl. Give me your best shot. Hit me with all your might."

Mirrin bit her lip, grasped the hilt of the blade with both hands and looked Maia up and down. The Paladin raised her sword. "Ready when you are, Mirrin," she said, not unkindly.

Mirrin sighed and charged. She feinted right and slashed left. For an instant it seemed she would slip past Maia's defense but the Paladin's glove came up. The wooden training blade crashed into something, an indistinct barrier flickering as the blade bounced off it. It was shield-shaped. Maia's counter was much more effective. She caught Mirrin's blade with her own, just below the cross guard and levered, flicking the weapon out of the surprised girl's grasp. A heartbeat later, Maia's blade pointed at Mirrin's throat.

"I give up?" Mirrin asked.

Maia shook her head. "No. You pick up your blade and try again." She returned to her initial position.

Mirrin reclaimed the weapon and circled around Maia. The Paladin slowly turned in place, keeping Mirrin in her field of vision. Suddenly, Mirrin charged, rushing in with a fierce overhead chop. Maia shifted her weight onto her back foot and parried, locking the training swords overhead. Mirrin groaned, trying to lever her blade free.

"I can't win this," she complained.

Maia smiled, relaxing and allowing Mirrin to withdraw the blade. "At least not without breaking your foot," she admitted. "The correct counter to this parry would be a swift kick to where it would hurt." She rapped her knuckles against her crotch. "My codpiece is made of steel though."

"Now what?" Mirrin asked, returning to a neutral stance.

"I want to see you hit me," Maia said.

"Very funny," Mirrin snarled. "You probably can see any of my moves coming from a mile away."

"Because you are using very common opening moves," Maia admitted. "Surprise me."

"'Very common opening moves?'" Rhys hissed at Lishaka. "She looks better with a sword than I with my daggers -- after weeks worth of training!"

"Hey, she's as good with a pointy stick as you are with cuddling me," Lishaka purred, leaning against him.

Mirrin attacked again, this time loosening a shrill yell. Maia flinched. But instead of blindly charging in, Mirrin stopped, carving a sheet of sand upwards. Maia cursed, tried to shield her eyes with one hand while parrying with the other. Mirrin's blade sliced under both her arms, ringing off Maia's armor with a bright 'ping.' Mirrin pumped her fist in celebration.

Hilgrun applauded. "Good one!"

"Did you teach her that?" Hagazz asked. "That was almost worthy of a dark elf!"

Mirrin giggled. "No. I learned that when Rory Billings didn't want to stop pestering me. A fistful of sand cured his curiosity faster than any kicks or punches could." For a moment, a shadow passed over Mirrin's face, her playfulness forgotten. It seemed the darkness she so valiantly had held at bay was about to swallow her.

Rhys was about to rush to her side, to embrace her, shield her from the memories, but Mirrin took a deep breath, shook herself like a wet dog and looked at Maia again, the ghost of a smile tugging at her lips.

Maia patted sand off her tabard and chuckled. "Most dishonorable but a win nonetheless. Yes, you will do nicely. I like your spirit already."

"I will do what exactly?" Mirrin asked warily. She raised her sword.

"Like I said. Lady Idunn asked me to evaluate a possible sister-in-arms." Maia locked eyes with Mirrin. "I would be honored to train with you."

"Me? A fighter? I-... I don't know," Mirrin stammered.

"Not just a fighter, Mirrin. I am offering a chance very few ever receive. I am offering you to become a Fist of Justice, a Paladin."

"And you would train me here at the tower?" Mirrin asked, her eyes lighting up.

Maia shook her head. "No. You would join me and my sisters at the Monastery of the Open Palm, three weeks south and west of Valcrest."

"Why?" Mirrin asked. "Why would Idunn send me away? I want to stay with Rhys!"

"It has nothing to do with anyone trying to send you away but everything with me and my sisters offering you a kind of training you will not find here," Maia began. "I am aware that you have suffered greatly recently. The monastery is not only a place for combat training and contemplation but a place of healing and solace as well. We can offer you peace and a chance to recover from your ordeal."

Mirrin opened her mouth to protest but Maia went on, undeterred. "Also, you are no prisoner. Your brother and your friends can come visit whenever they like."

"I would need to learn Teleport first," Rhys admitted. "But being able to come visit you would be one worthy reason to expedite that."

"And finally, Carver or Faedal would be foolish indeed if they ever contemplated attacking you in a monastery full of Paladins," Hagazz added. "I mean, this tower may be their next big target..."

"Shush, you're not helping," Hilgrun hissed.

"What? We're talking honest talk here," Hagazz complained. "I could think of no safer place than a place full of Lady Paladins." He grinned naughtily.

"Don't I get a choice in that matter?" Mirrin asked.

"I can't force you to do anything," Maia said. "It is an offer, not an obligation."

"Good. I want to talk with someone about this before I commit. If that is fine with you."

"Take all the time you need, Mirrin. Becoming a Paladin is not something one does on a whim," Hilgrun said. "And if anyone has a problem with that, they need to go through me." The tall barbarian leveled a challenging glare at Maia.

"I would be honored to cross blades with you, fiery one," Maia said, bowing. "When you have the time."

Hilgrun grinned viciously. "I just might take you up on that."

Mirrin stuffed the training blade back into the barrel and joined Rhys, Hagazz and Lishaka at the table. "Can we go back to the infirmary please? I think I need to have a word with Celeste about all this."

* * * *

Icy winds whipped around the tower. As far as scenery for a goodbye went, it was lousy. Dark clouds hung overhead and Winter's first earnest assault could be felt in every stinging, freezing gust which slipped under their cloaks. Even Celeste had dragged herself out of bed to see Mirrin off, along with all the other inhabitants of the tower.

Rhys' sister was swaddled in layers of cloaks and pelts and carried an impressive backpack. Courtesy of Zentam and the others, it was stuffed to the brim with snacks, clothes, trinkets and gear. A shiny new long sword hung from Mirrin's hip and a gleaming helmet covered most of her head. Maia towered over her, a beacon of light against the dirty gray of the clouds, garbed in a long white cloak with ermine fur around her shoulders.

"I still can't believe you're going through with this," Rhys said through chattering teeth. "My sister, soon a Paladin. Who would have thought." He hugged Mirrin close to his chest. Her hug was almost twice as fierce, threatening to crack his ribs.

"Don't try to sway me," she said. "You might succeed."

"It would be a terrible loss," Maia said. "So, don't try to change her mind."

"I won't," Rhys promised. "Knowing that you're safe and sound, surrounded by the finest fighters on the Western Continent will ease our minds."

"Hey, I gave her a good spanking all right," Hilgrun mumbled. Her right eye was still swollen shut from one of the hits Maia had landed during their mock duel. "I almost won."

"You have certainly earned a rematch," Maia said, bowing slightly. "I look forward to our next exchange, fiery one."

Maia walked over to Hilgrun and hugged her. Rhys could see Maia favoring her left leg. Both women had spent some time in the infirmary after their battle. I wish I had seen that Rhys thought.

Maia pulled Hilgrun close and kissed her, hungrily. Their kiss broke eventually, leaving Hilgrun moaning. "You could have had that last night," she snarled.

"When a victor claims a prize, witnesses have to be present," Maia said, a good-natured smile playing around her lips. "Until next time."

"We'll miss you," Lishaka sobbed, clutching herself against Mirrin. "Who will laugh at all my dirty jokes now?"

"I'm sure Rhys will be a thankful audience," Mirrin said, hugging the goblin back. "And Hilgrun was right. You're very nice for a green little monster."

"Oh, that... that... ra-ka-kari..." Lishaka fumed. "I'll light a fire under her ass she can't recover from!"

Mirrin slipped from Lishaka's embrace and walked over to Rhys. "This is strange," she said, claiming his hand. "We've just found each other, only to be torn apart again." Quieter she asked. "And you think I'm doing the right thing?"

"I have no idea," Rhys said, pulling her close. "But I do know one thing."

"Hm? What might that be?" Mirrin asked, her voice muffled by the fabric of his cloak.

"The moment you are a fully-fledged Paladin, you're on my team," he said.

"Are we ready to depart?" Metili asked. Like a two-legged raven, her dark robes whipped about by the winds, she strode past them. "I don't know about you but the weather makes me want to leave in a hurry. So please, get your goodbyes over with, yes?"

"Is it okay, traveling with a Dark Order wizard?" Idunn asked Maia.

"My code of honor usually forbids me from associating with certain elements," Maia said diplomatically. "But it allows for exceptions. Since we are all basically heading in the same direction and I can make sure there will be no demon-worshiping involved, it will be fine. And if not, I am sure my Mother Superior will have me atone for my sins." Her grin was shockingly naughty.

Mirrin vanished in a knot of people, all wishing her safe travels and goodbyes.

Metili eventually joined them, placing her hands on Mirrin's and Maia's shoulders. She snapped a single syllable and the three women vanished in a cloud of sulfurous vapors.

The stench was horrible but the weird feelings tearing at Rhys were worse. He had thought his life was slowly coming together, that he was safe in the tower and the people he loved were too. Memories of the destroyed village seemed to laugh in his face. Instead of feeling safe, he felt naked and weak. Having to let go of Mirrin so soon after dragging her away from Death's door didn't help. As long as Faedal was free to terrorize, to rape, pillage and murder indiscriminately, he would never feel safe. He needed to grow stronger, and fast. Balling his fists, he returned to the tower's interior.

* * * *

"You called?" Faedal offered the mockery of a bow, barely a nod. Carver, sitting in austere white robes on his simple wooden throne, favored his second-in-command with a stern gaze.

"I wish you would clean all that filth off you," Carver said. "At least occasionally." He looked Faedal up and down. The fallen Paladin wore a simple kilt and boots. His chest, marked by sinuous, dark symbols seemingly burned into his skin, was naked and caked with dried blood and other fluids. His long, golden hair was immaculate though, kept neatly from his face by a black circlet.

"You know very well that I need to anoint this body with liquid life," Faedal calmly replied. "Who gives a fuck that it is too much a hassle to aim the blood spurts?"

"I don't mind your method of sustenance. But I do mind the stench." Carver sighed. "But that's not the reason I called for you." He gestured at a book placed on a table nearby. "I just learned that you wiped Thornton Estate off the map."

Faedal's eyes lit up. "They asked for it. Killed one of ours, they did."

"Did you try and execute the perpetrator?"

"Of course. It was that red-headed whore Dara. Her brother started a fight and she had to go and kill one of ours when they disciplined him."

"Explain to me then why you dropped a Meteor Strike onto the place and slaughtered every living soul. Killing one of ours requires the perpetrator to die, not the whole village." Carver stood and left the dais until he could look Faedal in the eye. The fallen Paladin was easily a head taller than Carver and wider in the shoulders but he recoiled from the glare in Carver's eyes.

"Still mad?" Faedal asked.

"What do you think?" Carver snarled. "Instead of several dozen new undead, we just got one because every single one of our rituals was disrupted and our clerics butchered. Not only that but the Dark Order has sent an ambassador, announcing their intention of joining Thurguz!"

"You had him killed, I hope."

"No, I didn't. The last thing I need right now are demonic assassins lusting after my life. So, please let me know why, for Mercy's crying sake, you had to kill off an entire village!"

Faedal took a step back. "Morale."

"Come again?"

"Morale. Year over year, the villages around Thornton Estate have produced less goods. They needed a good scare."

Carver clasped his hands behind his back and walked past Faedal. Halfway across the throne room, he turned on his heels. "Have you gone completely mad?" he screamed.

"Why? You told me-"

"Shut up!" The words were laced with magical energy and whipped through the room, carving bleeding gashes into Faedal's skin. Calmer, Carver went on: "Have you considered the hot summer and lack of rain? We were very close to a draught. Of course the villages would produce less than last year, which was a wonderful, wet one."

Faedal's jaw worked but he knew better than to speak.

"Also, your little ...disciplinary action has had the exact opposite effect. I know by now exactly how much pressure I can apply to coax the maximum efficiency from our subjects." Carver picked up a priceless decorative plate. It depicted the Luminous City in all its amber glory. "Now there is talk of revolt in at least five of the villages in eyeshot of Thornton Estate." He carefully set the plate back into its display. "That means we need to deploy more troops to keep them in line which in turn means even more unrest."

"So what?" Faedal snapped. "Hang the ringleaders, let me rape their wives and daughters. And sons." He licked his lips.

"Which will cause even more people to revolt." Carver returned to Faedal and pierced him with a long, hard stare. "You want me to deal with revolting peasants, which you riled up, instead of working towards our true goal. Uniting the Old Kingdoms."

Faedal chose to remain silent.

"I thought as much. No. Here is what we will be doing." Carver said, pacing in front of his dais. "You, my friend, will spend a few weeks in the Borderlands. If you need to slate your thirst this badly, put your skills to good use. See if you can find some of that fabled Elven High Magic for me. No one will miss a few tree-huggers. While you are about, I will scour Lordehome and environs for a few clerics which I will then station in the villages with the worst unrest. Soothe the frayed spirits of the populace. Let them know that living under my rule does not have to be living hell."

"That... will be expensive. Those holy types need quite some convincing." Faedal grinned oily. "I should know."

"Money won't be an issue here. In fact, I will take most of the coin needed for placating the peasantry out of your coffers, my friend. Let that be a lesson that undue bloodshed will not be tolerated."

If Faedal's looks could kill, Carver would have a sizable hole in his chest.

"There will be no objections." Carver said.

"Not this time," Faedal snarled. "Will that be all?"

"Yes. You're leaving for Sunleaf within the hour."

...to be continued in Chapter VII: Growing Pains

I hope you liked this twisted little fantasy of mine. Even if you didn't, let me know. Vote and/or comment. I enjoy the praise, but improvement can only occur when I know what displeased you.

Thanks for your time.

(c)Blind_Justice 2019