Murder & Gin

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stepping back into the cool wet night air, I gave the ox at the door a nod, seeing the line had barely moved, most of the same members in it giving a shocked look as I left the club as quickly as I had entered it.

—♥—

It was nearly midnight when I parked the car at my home. I didn't bother with the umbrella, I had already gotten rained on enough today, what was a little more? Getting inside I shrugged off the duster, putting it on the coat hook, and found my paw already on the bottle of gin. I stared at it for a long moment, a little imported number from the east with heavy notes of cherry blossom. I was always a bit of a snob with my hooch, but It didn't matter if it tasted like sewage these days, I clearly was drinking for other reasons.

My eyes closed as I stood there, thinking about the day, thinking about my ex, and of course, thinking about that fawn. I realized I was growling and my jaw was set, my large teeth showing as I opened my eyes, they were burning. My handpaw was clasped so tight around the throat of the bottle it was shaking.

I wanted to just hurl the bottle across the room and howl in fury, she was right. I could have worked faster, I could have tried to do something more. It wasn't my job, but I could have saved that kit, had I just worked a little harder. Hazel used to console me during times like these, when I'd let someone down on a case, especially a kit.

Her voice filled my mind, even though it had been years now. Time had ravaged the memories, but I still could recall her words, even if the dialect and tone weren't quite the same. With a shaking paw and blurry vision, I slowly set the bottle down on the counter, uncurling my padded-fingers from it.

"Not tonight..." My voice sounded as shaky as the rest of me as I stepped back and leaned on the kitchen counter, wiping my paw over my face, clearing away the tears as I took a steadying breath. Losing my head wouldn't bring that fawn or Hazel back, nor would it bring that bastard in.

My gaze shifted to my duster and I shored up my resolve before moving over to collect the small slip of paper out of the breast pocket. I sat at my kitchen table and dialed the number on my phone, mentally preparing myself for whatever came next. Informants could be tricky to work with, especially ones that were getting called out of the blue in the middle of the night.

The phone rang, and then connected in the middle of the third ring. The first thing my ears were treated to was the sounds of a mechanical keyboard being typed upon, then a moment later a nondescript voice filled my ears, it was smooth but I couldn't place a gender on it. "Isaac Convel, twenty-nine, occupation private investigator, current address..."

I swallowed a lump in my throat as the informant sat there and read off everything from my bank account numbers to my ex-wife's social security number. Once they finished I heard a pause with more typing then a sigh. "Your cellphone shows you were in proximity with a particular antelope whose name you'll not mention, or this call ends and I hit your bank account for a grand for wasting my time, are we clear?"

"Crystal," I spoke out in a growled but subdued tone.

"Good boy. Alright, the chips are cashed in, that debt is cleared. You have my attention, call me Keys, now what do you want?"

"Well, Keys, I know your time is valuable, so I'll keep it brief..." I gave as quick of a summary as I could, but it still took a few minutes to explain everything.

"Interesting, very interesting. You found the bucks cellphone dumped too, so he's gone all-in on this flight, I like it." The voice sounded amused like they were happy to have the challenge.

"So, you'll help find the guy?" I spoke out, sounding a bit hopeful, this informant obviously knew their stuff.

"Help? I offer a service, Isaac. There is no charity here. Given your line of work, I'm sure you understand. I'll find your deer, but it'll cost you, and I'm not sending an invoice to the police department you're working with."

A growl filled my throat as I pushed a paw to my forehead. They already had my bank account info, they knew what I was working with. I wasn't hurting financially but I wasn't roosting on the biggest nest egg either. "Alright, what's the damage going to be?"

"Ten, and you're a little short on it." The nondescript voice fired back coldly.

"Gods! Ten grand?! Keys, give me-"

"You want the best, you pay for it, Isaac. Can you get me my fee or not? Sell a car, your house, I really don't care."

"Fuck..." I snarled and wracked my brain. Of course, I wanted this kit avenged, of course, I didn't want it to come down to a financial number, but was I supposed to destitute myself for a fawn I didn't even know?

An annoyed sigh filled the phone speaker as I sat there mulling over my thoughts, then Keys spoke out once more, "Look, I run cut-throat business Convel, but I also know the value of investing, especially in the capable types."

"What are you proposing then?" I spoke out curiously, a little relieved they hadn't just hung up on me.

"I'll give you the dead-kit discount. Eight, four now, and four upon delivery of the information. You're still short but-"

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't expect to fucking tap my savings to do the right thing!" I snarled back with a frustrated bark.

There was a long bout of silence, then the voice fired back icy cold, "You ever cuss at me like that again, I'll ruin you, Isaac. I'll see you sleeping in a cardboard box, do you understand me?"

My eyes widened and I gave a furious snarl, but the rational side of my brain screamed at me to shut up, this informant had my whole life pulled up right before their eyes, they could probably do it before I even got off the phone. "My apologies, won't happen again," I hissed out the words, the bitterness obvious in my voice.

"I'm not here to muscle you around and I see dead kit cases every day of my life, Isaac. Now if you'll let me finish what I was going to say." There was another pause then they continued, "Four now and I've got a few jobs you can do afterward to work off the other part. It's not illegal but you'll be getting underpaid as it were. It'd normally be six grand worth of work, but we'll call it even for the other four you'll owe me."

"Sounds as if I don't have a choice in the matter, Keys."

"You do, I can walk away from this and you can too, no gun to your head to do any of this, Convel. I'll even wave the five hundred fee for calling me."

"That's... very generous of you." I shook my head, why was this costing me money? Why wasn't Alphonse or Rickson eating this cost or the parents? Because I found the fucking kit, because I was the slow one, that's why. My teeth clenched as I growled out a response, "Fine, do it."

I heard a few keystrokes before they called out, "Done. I have my fee, I'll get to work. Give me a week."

"Alright, what if you don't turn anything up?"

There was a pause then a chuckle. "I'll let you know when that happens. Also, you can involve your buddies from the precinct, but you leave our transaction and relationship out of this, Isaac. If you peep a word of this to anyone, I'll find out, and... Well, you're a smart doggy, I'm sure you can figure out the rest."

The call disconnected and I spat out bitterly, "Son of a bitch..." Checking my phone app, my bank account was four thousand lighter now, a donation to the 'good doggy' charity. I gave a disapproving bark and shoved the phone into my pants pocket, glaring at the bottle of gin on the counter before stomping out of the kitchen to get undressed.

—♥—

Rickson gave me an update a few days later, forensics found Keller's DNA all over the scene, from fur dander to prints. There was no doubt he was the one we wanted, but nothing had come up in the search for him. The other two suspects checked out as expected, and I kept my dealings with Keys to myself.

It was a late Thursday afternoon when I got the call, about six days since I reached out to the informant. I was at home with a cup of coffee when my phone started buzzing in my pocket from an 'unlisted number'. I knew right away what it pertained to and steadied myself before answering, "Convel."

Keys nondescript voice spoke out, mingling with the sounds of typing, "Alright, Convel. This is your first time doing things with me, so listen up. I've despatched a courier who should arrive within half an hour at your home. They'll have all the details."

"Alright, anything I should know or do to keep us square, Keys?"

"We'll talk more about the rest of that money you owe once you and Rickson bring this guy in. He's armed to the teeth, so I recommend you let the police apprehend him since this isn't a bounty run. Just reach out to your pal and get him the info, if they botch it or he runs before they get there, I'll have him tracked, it's part of the service."

"Part of me wants to go do it myself," I snarled out bitterly.

"You're an idiot, doggy. Your bruised ego will end up getting you killed, let the police deal with this buck and be satisfied you got a kit-killer off the streets."

'Maybe you should be satisfied and give me my fucking money back then,' I thought to myself with a growl but kept my snide remarks to myself. "Got it, I appreciate the help."

"Just doing my job, Isaac. I'll be in touch later." The phone call ended and I pocketed my phone with a sigh.

Looking down at my paws, I saw they were shaking from adrenaline and nerves. I wasn't sure if it was the tension of knowing I could resolve this, or working with someone that could end my life as I knew it if I misstepped. One thing was for certain, I would have to get it together, I still had work to do.

The courier arrived a few minutes later and I was presented with a plain manilla envelope full of information on Keller, even satellite photos of the current travel lodge he was staying in, along with a copy of an itinerary for a flight out of the country that was leaving in three days. My eyes widened at the realization he was going to be leaving the country, I had to get this to Rickson, now.

I was already climbing into my car when the phone call connected. "Convel, what's up?"

"Meet me at the station in twenty minutes," I growled as I pulled out of my driveway.

"Uh, it's my day off, Convel, I'm out with my wife."

"Not anymore, not if you want Keller." I spat out and disconnected the call, knowing he'd be on his way with that. By his own admittance, she knew how the job went, she'd be fine.

I had just gotten my car in park and started to climb out when Rickson's black sedan pulled up behind me. I recognized the badger in the passenger seat, I'd seen her a few times around the station, one of the dispatchers like he said earlier.

"What do you have for me, Convel?" Rickson spoke out as he climbed right out and was coming around the front of his car when I met him at the hood, slapping the envelope right down on the car.

"Plenty, but you need to get your people on it and fast, our buck is ready to fly out of the country in a few days." I watched him spread the information out over the hood of his car, looking it over with fervent intent.

"Isaac... How in the hell did you get all this?" He gave me a shocked look as he rifled through the papers, seeing the itinerary for the upcoming flight and already withdrawing his cellphone.

"I'm a P.I James, information is my business. Let's just say I know a guy and leave it at that." I gave him a nod and folded my arms.

The wolf met my eyes with his green ones, they looked a little sharper as he clicked his tongue in acknowledgment. "This couldn't have been cheap."

"You've no idea." I barked a bitter laugh and gave a shrug. "Just have your boys drag the bastard in and we'll call it square."

"I'll lean on the chief about kicking you back more for your retainer fee, but I doubt it'll cover... this." He snarled while he put his phone up to his ear. I gave his wife a nod as I turned and moved back to my car, for better or worse, it was out of my paws now.

—♥—

A few days later I found myself at the station with Rickson and McCreedy, when I walked in the Jaguar showed me his teeth in a wide grin and shoved his paw right into my own in a firm shake. "Atta boy, Convel! I knew you were alright!"

I quirked a brow but shook his handpaw before we parted grips and I nodded at Rickson. "I take it you got a confession and all that?"

"It didn't take much, we had all the evidence we needed." The other wolf gave a shrug and spat out bitterly, "Took the kit at first as a spook tactic, but then figured if he cut out the 'problem' he could convince her to stick with him."

"That's fucked up..." I snarled and shook my head.

"Bets on the insanity plea coming up?" McCreedy spoke out conversationally as he looked between the two of us.

"A long shot to be sure, the judge is a mother that lost a kit of her own, she'll be a tough sell for that one." Rickson gave a shrug. "Whatever, it's the DA's problem now."

"So why call me in? I'm glad to hear about the resolution but you could have told me over the phone," I quipped back, cocking a brow.

McCreedy thrust a small envelope into my paws. "I and Rickson bitched out the Cheif, had to take a little more off the top than we had expected, but a bonus for your hard work. Also, maybe a little of the cash Keller was running around with got lost in transit." The jaguar gave me a wink.

I gave a snort through my nose and shoved the envelope into the inner pocket of my duster. "I appreciate it."

"You do good work, Convel, you sure I can't talk you into coming on full-time as my partner?" Rickson showed me a toothy grin.

"I'll pass James, pays better being a retainer like this when you guys can't handle it yourself. Besides, I hang out with you too much I might start smoking." I showed him my own grin as I thrust my paws back down into my pockets.

With a nod to the two, I made for the door. "I'll be around if you need me."

"It was good working with you Convel, I couldn't have done it without you," James called back as I tossed a handpaw up in a wave before moving back out of the office.

—♥—

Later that afternoon I found myself at the Unicorn again, at Alphonse's request. It was still too early for the big crowds, so I only felt mildly hated for existing as I made my way through the club to the bar. The antelope was already there behind the counter along with Rita and her ex-husband Reynold at the seats.

I cut my eyes to the doe as she stood. "If you're planning to punch me again, aim for the other side of my jaw this time please, still got a bit of an ache from the last one," I drolled the words out dryly as I lifted my muzzle, paws still in my duster pockets.

The doe threw her arms around me in a hug and I grunted in shock at the display. "Thank you, Isaac, I know you can't bring him..." She trailed off and pulled back after a few moments, clearly wiping tears from her face before she set her jaw. "I- I know it's my fault, but at least now there will be some closure... I hope."

The moose put his arm around the doe and I nodded at him before meeting Rita's brown eyes once more. "Rita, you were just doing a job, it's not your fault you stumbled into a crazy bastard. It could happen as easily to a cashier or bartender."

"I've had my fair share of stalkers, it's true." Alphonse chimed in with a hum.

"Thank you for everything, Isaac. You didn't have to go as far as you did. We don't know all the details, but Alphonse says you went way beyond the call for us." Reynold thrust his massive handpaw out to me and I gripped it with a nod.

"You were right, Rita. It wasn't my job, but had I been a little faster, a little smarter..." I snarled and nodded at her. "We can all take a little slice of the blame cake, but none of us are responsible except the bastard in lock-up right now."

The doe shuddered at my words then gave a resolute nod. "Thank you... and I don't blame you in the least, Isaac. I was just... hurt and angry."

"Can you guys give me and Convel a minute alone?" Alphonse plunked down a glass of water on the counter as he nodded at me. Rita and Reynold gave the antelope a nod, then gave me another appreciative look before stepping away to a booth.

I took a seat and collected the water, taking a pull from it before meeting the antelope's eyes. I said nothing but cocked a brow in expectation.

"How bad was it?" He asked while dunking a teabag in a mug.

"Eight." I snapped back pointedly.

He winced and gave a nod. "I'd offer to pay it, but-"

"Keys would check your account the instant you did, yeah?" I gave him a knowing smirk.

"You do get it, you're a smart dog, Isaac." He gave a frown to me, then shrugged. "Look, if nothing else... I could start whittling it down for you, come by once a week or something, I could pass you a few hundred here and there from the tips of the night."

"Tell you what Alphonse. In this biz, contacts are everything. You keep me in the loop and be willing to pull strings if I need it in the future, and we'll call it even there. How's that sound?" I showed the antelope a toothy grin and thrust my paw out to him.

"I think I can work with that." He shared a grip with me, then moved his other paw up to clasp my fist while we shook. "And thank you... it means a lot, really."

I glanced back over at Rita and Reynold, then gave him a nod before pulling from the shake. "Glad I was able to help. Give me a call if you ever need anything or have a problem, and let those two know the same."

Alphonse gave me a smile before nodding and I turned away, giving the couple a parting nod before slipping out of the club to head back to my car.

—♥—

That evening I found myself in my recliner, leaning back watching a hockey game while sipping on a gin and tonic. It felt like the first time I had been able to relax in weeks. I sighed and reclined the seat back, closing my eyes, just letting my ears fill with the noise of the game.

My phone rang, pulling me from the meditative state as I snarled and snatched it, glaring at the screen before my brow furrowed, seeing 'unlisted number' as the caller. Debts owed came to mind as I swallowed a lump in my throat and connected the call. "What is it, Keys?"

"Got the happy ending you hoped for, Isaac?"

"That depends on how the case goes."

"Fair enough. Check your bank account, I'll wait."

I snarled but did as I was told, fear starting to creep in on me as if I'd pull it up to see a big zero for my balance or something. My brow quirked as I saw it was only two grand lighter than before.

"What's up with that? I thought it was all cut-throat with you, Keys?"

"My fee for my regulars is only two, Isaac. You kept your cool, didn't go all hero on this guy, and get yourself in a world of shit. I can respect talent that has a level head. As I told you before, I'm all about investments."

"Sounds good, so what are you getting at?"

"You need information in your line of work, I need level-headed and capable types in mine. Let's scratch one another's backs if you get my drift."

I clicked my tongue as I mulled it all over, but it didn't take long before I gave a nod. "You've got a deal, so long as it's all on the up."

"I deal with criminals every day, Isaac, but rest assured, I'll not throw you any lines that aren't of the... mostly legal variety."

"Close enough, looking forward to working with you, Keys... and, thanks."

"Just doing my job, Convel. Also, can I give you some advice?"

"Shoot."

"You're good at your job, but don't let it define you. You won't do me or yourself any good if you're always uptight. Let your hair down, relax a little. I can tell from your bank statements you've not had a good time or gone out on a date in years."