Murder on the Mainline: Florence

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tony whispers, "What's the point, Mike. They are going to kill you anyway?"

Mike says, "Shut up." In the car light illuminated room the two shadows are trying to figure out what is going on. They call back and forth in singsong Vietnamese. Mike holds Tony in the shadows. He can see they are looking for a light switch. They find it and switch it, but all remains in darkness. Mike thinks Tony did that. He pulled the breaker so I couldn't turn on the lights. He watches the confusion with some satisfaction. He wracks his brain for some way to stall events. If Trudy has called the police, they're on the way. Suddenly one of the Vietnamese calls to another outside and he comes running with a flash light. Mike's heart sinks but he keeps hold on Tony.

Suddenly the room is flooded with light and police are everywhere. Lindross smiles as he approaches Mike and says, "Can I take that fellow off your hands, Mike?"

"You sure can. This is your murderer of Florence Hanson. Trudy has his confession on tape upstairs."

"I know. I've been listening to it. Good work, Mike."

"How long have you been here?"

"Since before you arrived. Your tail kept us notified as to where you were and we waited for you. We had to wait for the heavies to arrive before starting to mop up. When we heard the gunshot we moved in. Trudy was just dialing us. We've been upstairs trying to figure how to get you out in one piece and not lose any of the Vietnamese gang members. Looks like you were handling things not too bad on your own."

"Before you take him away, have him open this door for us. I think you'll find a treasure back there in drugs."

"I'm sure we will. We know his business and he must be stocked up for tomorrow night and Sunday.

Back at the detachment, Mike shakes Staff Sergeant Lindross' hand and says, "I'm glad that's over."

"I'm going to miss you and Nina. Even you, Trudy."

Trudy says, "Hell, we'll be around. Just watch us."

As they drive back towards Chilliwack, Trudy starts singing, "Oh, this is number one, and the fun has just begun, Lay me down, roll me over and do it again. Roll me over, in the clover, Lay me down, roll me over and do it again."

Mike joins in, "Oh, this is number two, He's taking off my shoe, Lay me down, roll me over and do it again. Roll me over, in the clover, Lay me down, roll me over and do it again. The song goes on though many verses before they run out of steam and start laughing. When he drops her off he says he'll call her Monday... or maybe before. They kiss and she sees him off with her hand waving good-bye.

On Sunday night she calls. Mike answers the phone in his office. "Trudy. Why are you calling me at home?"

He can tell by her voice she's been crying, "It's Crystal. I had to bring her into emergency tonight with an awful stomachache. They're taking out her appendix now. She's going to be in for a few days, but she'll be all right. I had to let you know I won't be any use to you until I get her home."

"That's alright. I understand she comes first. You stay right with her and don't worry about the business. It'll survive until you're ready to go back at it. Tell her I love her and her mom. I'll try to get down in the next day or two. Goodnight, love."

He hangs up and hears Marlene coming down the stairs. She calls, "Was that CPX. I forgot to tell you they called while you were out this evening."

"No, it was business. What did CPX want?"

"Run to Calgary in the morning. He said they'd be finished loading it by eight."

Next morning he is waiting at eight at the dock. During the night the midnight shift goofed off and they haven't started loading his yet. He goes down the dock and talks with Ray. "Good to see you again, Ray. How about joining me for a beer one of these nights."

"Any time, Mike. You're always welcome where I'm at."

Mike goes to the parking lot and jumps into the car. He goes for breakfast and comes back. Still not loaded. By the time he's ready to roll it's nearly one PM. He makes a quick stop in Chilliwack at the hospital. He tries to cheer Crystal up and sees Trudy when she comes in. Then he has to leave.

Out on the highway again he's highballing for Alberta. Things are working just fine as he stops in Sicamous for a bite. He flies along making good time through Revelstoke and into the park. He climbs the Rogers Pass and checks his brakes. All's well and it's on for Golden. As he rounds the turn and sees the lights of Donald far below on the Columbia River, he checks his watch. It's nearly ten and he should make Calgary before three. Down the long grade to the ninety- degree turn at the bottom he uses little brakes relying on the Jake. But she picks up speed so he hit's them a little harder and is jarred by the clanging of a bell.

"Shit!" He says the word as he glances at the air pressure gauge; pressure below twenty pounds and dropping. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" He takes his foot away from the brake pedal and watches the air pressure climb slowly back up over twenty-five pounds. The tack is climbing as well and he has to touch the brakes again. The pressure fades fast and the clanging begins again, but he slows a bit. He starts looking at the shoulders as the turn comes rushing at him. The clanging stops and he touches the brakes again. Clang clang.

No air pressure again. He watches the gauge and disregards the clanging bell. With the turn fast approaching he wait's for just the right moment and steps hard on the brakes. The truck shudders as trailer brakes lock and the trailer swings across the road but the whole mass slows considerably and he enters the turn aiming at a point he thinks he may be able to make if it doesn't upset. Weight shifts in the turn and tires slide leaving black trails of rubber to the edge of the pavement but it rights itself and flies across the Kicking Horse bridge. Mike uses the jake brake to ease down the speed and gears down to bring the rig to a halt about four miles past Donald. He climbs down and has to hang on to the door for a moment. His legs are like rubber.

After a few minutes rest he crawls under the rig looking at air lines. With his Mag light he finds the culprit. Not far from the compressor is an airline worn through on one side. It looks like the bracket that was supposed to support it has broken off at some time and the line has scrubbed away at the frame and worn a hole about two inches long. He climbs back up and shuts down the diesel. He climbs back down and bleeds off his air pressure. He digs through his toolbox and all he can find is black electrical tape and gray duct tape. He takes those with him and chews a stick of gum. Under the rig he goes and plugs the long hole with chewing gum. Over this he pulls black electrical tape and wraps it tightly. Then he wraps over that the duct tape. He closes his bleeder valve and puts his tape away in the toolbox. Back in the cab he starts her up and watches the air pressure gauge. She climbs up past thirty then forty then forty-five. Gradually it climbs to just under sixty where it levels out and won't go any higher. He pulls into the Husky in Golden just after eleven thirty, local time.

He calls Central Dispatch and they say wait there for a truck from Calgary to bring his trailer and an air line. They can swap trailers and the Husky service center can install the air line. They give him a PO number. It's almost midnight so he goes for coffee. He notices a sharp looking shapely red head waiting on a table in the next section but Jena has already come to him, so he says, "Coffee, my dear. Where's that Cathy got to? I keep watching for her."

"You mind your manners. She's safe now. I pride myself that none of you guys got to her before she left us."

"Where'd she go, Jena, I might look her up."

Jena laughs and says, "You do that. She's gone back to Quebec and joined the order of our Lady of Cashmere, or Cashew or something. If you see her again, it will be Sister Cathy. She's gone to be a nun."

"You're kidding. None of the truck drivers got her in their rigs?"

"Not a one. I taught that girl right and kept an eye on her. I know you had your eye on her, too, you rascal."

"You know, Jena, I've always had a failing for red heads. Who's the new little filly over there?"

"Now never you mind with Vicki. She's another good girl. You just go on and behave yourself." Sipping his coffee he says aloud, "Vicki, Vicki, Vicki. I like that."

The red head peeks through the plants in the divider and winks at him as Jena says, "Now Mike, don't you be thinking about that."

Mike finishes the coffee and gets up beside the divider to say, "Well, Jena, I'm going to catch a few hours sleep in the sleeper in my big blue Kenworth out there. I might see you at breakfast." He leaves and pays for his coffee. He takes a shower and climbs up in the rig. He sits in his seat and watches the shadows. A shadow moves and he opens the door. He hears, "Mike? Is that you?"

He holds out a hand and says, "Vicki, can I give you a hand up?" She takes the hand and climbs up into the big blue machine.

Be sure not to miss the next thrilling, titillating detective story of Mike Claymore, entitled: Wendel.